BJ Sands

NHL changes 2019-20

9 hours ago, DuckFly2gether said:

I would rather the actual trend stop first.

First of all, it is over. There's precisely one team right now you could point to and say "they're pretending to be an original 6 team" and the Lightning have been nearly universally derided for their Maple Leafs cosplay on this website. There'll be a party on here the day they change. The Hurricanes were the other offender that could be legitimately convicted of pretending to be an O6 team, but they corrected their Red Wings knockoffs and outside of those two teams it wasn't really a problem. 

Every other time it's been levied against a team it was a streeeetch. The Panthers and Wild, O6 Dressup? Get out of my face with that bullshirt. 

I just want teams to be more creative with their look instead of relying on generic, run of the mill uniform patterns and then people complain about anyone who dare critique lazy/boring design. 

That's funny because "O6 dressup" is a lazy/boring critique. It's nonsense. I just want posters to be more creative with their critiques instead of relying on a generic, made up term that's been used so many times, almost always incorrectly, or in bad faith, to the point that it's lost all meaning here.

The reason it doesn't apply to the Stars is because they're a team born in 1967 who has a legitimate claim to a quasi-60's look, their colors and logo separate them from the rest of the league, and even if it is similar to the Rangers template, it's different enough in construction that only people looking for a fight would ever compare the two. If anything, due to the white-black-white stripes on the sleeves and their black helmets-lighter color jersey-black pants-lighter color socks the first thing that I think of is not the Rangers, it's those Blackhawks St Patrick's Day jerseys that the worst Chicago fans wear. The Rangers go blue-blue-red-blue. It's not similar enough for me to worry about. 

Also, why do we only do this for hockey? Nobody's out here accusing the millions of baseball teams using headspoon piping of pretending to be the Tigers. 

8 hours ago, Bayne said:

Lol ok. Entirely subjective and who's to say it "wasn't their own" before anyway? You're like a bad sports journalist spouting out meaningless cliches.

Okay so they're unmistakable. Wow, ok. Is that the goal here? Sounds pretty simple. Maybe Seattle should just wear salmon pink and there will be no mistaking them either. Done.

I thought there was more nuance to jersey design? I'm pretty sure we aren't all on here pushing for every team to adopt a unique colour so that one day we will eventually have an all the colours of the rainbow NHL. That mentality, to me, (while exagerrated) is childish. 

To answer the bolded: YESSS DUH!

The goal here is absolutely 32 distinctive and unmistakable designs separate from one another, which is why the glut of red and black teams is a problem. That's obviously not the only goal in uniform design. While trying to achieve a recognizable look for each team you'd also like to see each team look good. These are not incompatible goals, which is why nobody wants to see the Seattle Hockey Pucks dressed in head to toe salmon. The Stars are both recognizable and look good. I don't care that their green jersey's striping is similar to the Rangers if it achieves those two goals. 

Colorado Avalanche Stadium Series Uniform “a Glimpse Into the Future of Hockey”

January 16, 2020 - 17:01 PM

The Colorado Avalanche today unveiled the uniforms they’ll be wearing for the 2020 Stadium Series game and, well, they’re different. Calling it a “glimpse into the future of hockey”, Colorado’s new Adidas Adizero jersey features a large white “A” across […]

Read More...

There’s also only so many ways to stripe a hockey jersey. The Stars and the Rangers have similar striping patterns, but so do the Oilers and Blackhawks, the Bruins and the Sabres are very similar. Now it would be awful if every team was forced into the same style, but the Stars are going for a 60’s-70’s look, especially when you consider the North Stars late 70’s look. The current road matches the sleeve pattern of the white jersey. They tweaked the striping of the green jersey, but the basis was there. They definitely didn’t have the Rangers in mind when they made these sweaters. If they did, they probably would have put a diagonal word mark on the front. Then maybe you could claim that. But even then, the Rangers don’t own that look...

Yeah, you can laugh, but I think they're better than the Avalanche's regular jerseys.

colorado-avalanche-stadium-series-jersey

The only real problem I have (other than still playing up the nickname initial) is the seam at the bottom of the mountains.  Eliminate that, make the two maroon sections out of the same piece of fabric, and they're good.

27 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Yeah, you can laugh, but I think they're better than the Avalanche's regular jerseys.

colorado-avalanche-stadium-series-jersey

The only real problem I have (other than still playing up the nickname initial) is the seam at the bottom of the mountains.  Eliminate that, make the two maroon sections out of the same piece of fabric, and they're good.

I won't laugh at your opinion, but I can't agree with these being better than the regular Avs jerseys. I do think that the A shouldn't extend into the collar. I think it looks odd for lack of better terms. 

35 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

No. Absolutely not. There's no way that they're better.

7 hours ago, McCarthy said:

First of all, it is over. There's precisely one team right now you could point to and say "they're pretending to be an original 6 team" and the Lightning have been nearly universally derided for their Maple Leafs cosplay on this website. There'll be a party on here the day they change. The Hurricanes were the other offender that could be legitimately convicted of pretending to be an O6 team, but they corrected their Red Wings knockoffs and outside of those two teams it wasn't really a problem. 

Every other time it's been levied against a team it was a streeeetch. The Panthers and Wild, O6 Dressup? Get out of my face with that bullshirt. 

That's funny because "O6 dressup" is a lazy/boring critique. It's nonsense. I just want posters to be more creative with their critiques instead of relying on a generic, made up term that's been used so many times, almost always incorrectly, or in bad faith, to the point that it's lost all meaning here.

The reason it doesn't apply to the Stars is because they're a team born in 1967 who has a legitimate claim to a quasi-60's look, their colors and logo separate them from the rest of the league, and even if it is similar to the Rangers template, it's different enough in construction that only people looking for a fight would ever compare the two. If anything, due to the white-black-white stripes on the sleeves and their black helmets-lighter color jersey-black pants-lighter color socks the first thing that I think of is not the Rangers, it's those Blackhawks St Patrick's Day jerseys that the worst Chicago fans wear. The Rangers go blue-blue-red-blue. It's not similar enough for me to worry about. 

Also, why do we only do this for hockey? Nobody's out here accusing the millions of baseball teams using headspoon piping of pretending to be the Tigers. 

To answer the bolded: YESSS DUH!

The goal here is absolutely 32 distinctive and unmistakable designs separate from one another, which is why the glut of red and black teams is a problem. That's obviously not the only goal in uniform design. While trying to achieve a recognizable look for each team you'd also like to see each team look good. These are not incompatible goals, which is why nobody wants to see the Seattle Hockey Pucks dressed in head to toe salmon. The Stars are both recognizable and look good. I don't care that their green jersey's striping is similar to the Rangers if it achieves those two goals. 

The panthers are clearly another example of O6 dress up as well, another boring generic chest stripe uni with little difference between them and the canadiens outside of them using gold and the canadians using blue and two less stripes on the hem, on a team from the 90s with no historical or aesthetic reason to wear such a thing. The stars home and lightning also continue to do this. Just recolored generic garbage. The hurricanes may be using a diagonal wordmark like the rangers but at least they brought back their warning flag pattern and use much different striping to look more modern and embrace THEIR identity, not someone else's. So no, it hasnt stopped, it still persists and ill continue to call it out.

And no its not lazy critique, it critiquing lazy design, which many here seem to like because of their low standards of design. apparently coming up with a different traditional striping pattern like VGK or a WPJ did when they came in in the 2010's was too hard for some teams these days, so they just took something someone else has worn for generations, splashed a different color scheme on it and think that somehow makes it unique or creative. it's not, its lazy trash.

And ya i know they stars go back to the 60's, if they want to have a more traditional look, FINE, the panthers can too, just dont take someone else's design. Do what vegas and winnipeg did, actually be creative, make a nice modern classic looking jersey.

If you took this jersey design shown below, recolored it green, black and white, its still nothing more than a recolored canadians jersey, just like what they have now is a recolored rangers jersey instead, regardless if the color they use is not used by anyone else. I was never talking about the color. Its the design thats lazy, and looking at other concepts of their's like this one its clear the stars didnt try very hard during their rebrand and were tying to and ultimately went with the O6 direction with not one but two, completely ripped off lazy recolored design concepts of O6 teams. Sorry for actually wanting these team to try harder and have a more unique look of their own which includes the striping, kind of an important part of the jersey. 

spacer.png

And I'm not talking about baseball, i dont watch that sport, my critique is of the stars and other NHL teams who have no business wearing these lazily designed O6 knock offs and putting almost zero effort into creating either an original traditional or non traditional look of THEIR OWN. Not that hard, people on these boards come up with better concepts almost everyday. 

Get some standards bud.

14 minutes ago, Kevin W. said:

No. Absolutely not. There's no way that they're better.

This logo, even enlarged, is so much better than the awful 90s regular logo.

12 hours ago, DuckFly2gether said:

No, you would just have a recolored rangers jersey. Just the same color pattern as the northstars. Everything about the jersey is generic, uninspiring, and unimaginative in terms of its design. Once again, there could have never been a green team in the history of hockey, it still wouldn't make the unis any less monotonous and boring. Wearing a color no one else uses on a jersey with a template already used by another team, doesn't change anything about the jersey being mediocre. 

You mean to tell me the Northstars were wearing Rangers rip-offs this whole time?  Say it ain't so! :lol:

ke3i4rC.png

11 minutes ago, DuckFly2gether said:

(Something, something, "O6 dressup" and "get some standards, bud")

So by your standards, there should be 31 (soon to be 32) different sweater templates? 

37 minutes ago, DuckFly2gether said:

apparently coming up with a different traditional striping pattern like VGK or a WPJ did when they came in in the 2010's was too hard for some teams these days

Vegas is using Pittsburgh/Arizona’s arm striping pattern though?

Just comparing the likes between the posts calling the Stars NYR ripoffs and the ones saying that is ridiculous is a fun game.

One side is obviously going a bit overboard here.

5 minutes ago, TheGoldenTriangle said:

Vegas is using Pittsburgh/Arizona’s arm striping pattern though?

The Oilers have always used the Blackhawks' white sweater striping for their home and aways. Their previous orange sweater with the royal blue was using the Canucks' current blue sweater striping.

13 minutes ago, VancouverFan69 said:

The Oilers have always used the Blackhawks' white sweater striping for their home and aways. Their previous orange sweater with the royal blue was using the Canucks' current blue sweater striping.

Sabres white traditionally share the same tripe design as well. Without the grey bits, they still do. 

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Besides, reminds me of my favorite super-hero.  :D 

a75c6d8c5784b392d9fbd2df189cdd68.jpg

EbnE9u7U1JOphoBmDPvGdB_ZL0flvj5W7GcLYeMZvKc.jpg?auto=webp&s=beb4061c72c0213ad52730c70a5c9fccbba98b7b

Grant Morrison's early 90's run on that was a mind trip.

I'm sorry, but those Avs jerseys are terrible. The whole thing seems asymmetrical just to be asymmetrical. The seam on the front is overtly garish that there's no natural transition into the mountains cutting into the A. Speaking of the A, why is the "mountain range" so lopsided? It looks awkward having the A dip down almost to the seam on the one side and then having the middle mountain go all the way up to the blank space in the A. Then you have the stripe on the back (which isn't that bad, but it messes with the font outline), and the curved font for the nameplate for no sake at all. You have the triangular A on the front, a straight stripe throughout the back, but the name is curved? Why? The only part I like about this jersey is the correlation between the sleeve stripes and the jersey stripe. 

For lack of a better word, these jerseys are a cluster:censored:. 

1 hour ago, Morgo said:

You mean to tell me the Northstars were wearing Rangers rip-offs this whole time?  Say it ain't so! :lol:

ke3i4rC.png

Uh... no, do you see a shoulder yolk on the rangers jersey with two outlines? Or are you blind too morgo? Not very perceptive are ya?