NHL changes 2019-20

BJ Sands

9 minutes ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

The Avs would be fine if they just got rid of black on the jersey.

In theory, yes.  In practice, for whatever reason, removing black has never resulted in a better looking uniform.  At this point it might just be best to just accept it as their thing.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We still haven't seen the full stadium series uniform including pants/helmets/gloves officially. The leak had blue pants, and a blue helmet would make sense with that. But in all the promo photos everyone is wearing black pants and accessories (including gloves). So I wouldn't be surprised if they trot these out with their standard black pants/helmets/gloves.

They look a lot better in the promo shots than they did in the leak, but I still think they look ridiculous. I'm definitely going to buy one, though.

jNTsTyQ.png

The Ducks TV PxP guy will often start the broadcast at puck drop by describing the jerseys the teams are wearing. He’ll usually just say the jersey colour, a trim colour and the number colour.

Tonight in Nashville, he goes “Ducks in their road whites with black numbers and Nashville in their home golds with blue numbers that are godawful hard to see”.

I know there’s been issues in the past with the names being hard to read with dark on dark, like the Flames original 03-04 red set, but I *hadn’t* heard much about number visibility being an issue.

IbjBaeE.png

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

It reminds me of that Turn Ahead the Clock event, where baseball teams wore their “future” uniforms.  The Yankees took the field in their standard pinstripes, and when George Steinbrenner was asked why the Yanks didn’t participate in the promotion he replied: “We did.” 

Exactly!  Some brands are just so iconic they shouldn't be touched! As an example, I'm not a Football or Steelers fan (despite growing up and still living in Western Pa) but in no way shape or form should the Steelers EVER put the logo on both sides of the helmet (as some people on here have suggested). You don't Mess with it, the Future will still have the Steelers, Yankees, Red Wings, etc in those Classic uniforms. 

48 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

The Ducks TV PxP guy will often start the broadcast at puck drop by describing the jerseys the teams are wearing. He’ll usually just say the jersey colour, a trim colour and the number colour.

Tonight in Nashville, he goes “Ducks in their road whites with black numbers and Nashville in their home golds with blue numbers that are godawful hard to see”.

I know there’s been issues in the past with the names being hard to read with dark on dark, like the Flames original 03-04 red set, but I heard much about number visibility being an issue.

Well, he just needs glasses or better glasses. I just saw Nashville in person and had no problem seeing the numbers. Now I know why the Ducks broadcast is so bad, Ahlers needs glasses. Oh wait, I'm mistaken, it's Heyward that needs to take off his Ducks glasses and actually watch what's happening.

16 hours ago, McCarthy said:

To answer the bolded: YESSS DUH!

The goal here is absolutely 32 distinctive and unmistakable designs separate from one another, which is why the glut of red and black teams is a problem. That's obviously not the only goal in uniform design. While trying to achieve a recognizable look for each team you'd also like to see each team look good. These are not incompatible goals, which is why nobody wants to see the Seattle Hockey Pucks dressed in head to toe salmon. The Stars are both recognizable and look good. I don't care that their green jersey's striping is similar to the Rangers if it achieves those two goals. 

So you'd be fine with the entire league using the same template and using 32 unique colours? That sounds awful to me. Its like forced diversity. "Oh look, we all the colours for all the teams, isn't it pretty?" :censored: that. 

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

7 hours ago, Fresno St. Alum said:

shouldn't we blame the designer (reebok, adidas) for the similar looks. Cardinals, Falcons looked similar, we'll see what nike does to change it w the Falcons. 

Ducks and Flames have those ugly side panels, avs used to have it. I blame 

The designer, the jersey manufacturer (if they are not the same), and the team all get equal blame.  At the end of the day, the team decides either to go with whatever is presented to them, or they reject it and do something else.

For example, all original 6 teams, except Toronto, rejected the idea of removing the hem stripes.  Boston even came out with new uniforms during the switchover and still decided to have proper hem stripes.

Calgary okayed the piping going to nowhere, plus were unsure if they wanted side panels or thin hem stripes on the bottom, so they strangely went with both.  And, they still haven't fixed those damn socks.  They could easily switch to the retro jerseys full time or come up with a new design.  That's on them.

6 hours ago, ColeJ said:

my girlfriend wants one..................

i don't even know what to do or say about that.

Maybe you should post this in the Loveline thread over in the lounge. Operators are standing by to assist. 🤣

5 hours ago, Bayne said:

So you'd be fine with the entire league using the same template and using 32 unique colours?

Wow. Impressive leap to the straw man there, Bayney. No F****** obviously I wouldn’t want to see every team in the same template because what was the 2 goals in uniform design? Having 32 distinctive/recognizable brands and looking good. It wouldn’t look good if every team was in the same template and it wouldn’t help each team be distinctive or recognizable. Duh. If two out of the 70 something jerseys in this league using very different color schemes use kind of a similar template - no that’s not a problem. 

5 hours ago, Bayne said:

That sounds awful to me. Its like forced diversity. "Oh look, we all the colours for all the teams, isn't it pretty?" :censored: that. 

this is really telling on yourself. Nice work. 

I think it’s weird that you’re arguing for diversity of template, but when that same notion is applied to colors you, unprompted, brought up forced diversity. Quite curious that you’d go there. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Los Angeles Kings Unveil 2020 Stadium Series Uniforms

January 17, 2020 - 20:22 PM

It seems that ultra-futuristic design is certainly the focus of the 2020 NHL Stadium Series to be held outdoors at the U.S. Air Force Academy in Colorado next month. Yesterday, the Colorado Avalanche unveiled their unconventional uniforms for the game; […]

Read More...

17 minutes ago, M4One said:

A long Q & A with the Flames director of marketing on sportsnet  https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/qa-flames-director-marketing-return-retro-jerseys/  I never knew the horse head jersey had a name, Blasty.  Not a whole lot to go on, but a very small tease of unused jerseys, including a black jersey. 

I'll save everyone a read.  The full-time switch to the retros is something they're "still thinking about."  I don't know what's to think about.  The retros are universally lauded, the current set is universally hated, even by people who don't frequent this message board or follow uniform design in the slightest.

They're also looking for a way to reintroduce the horse-head or "blasty."

Blasty needs a place in our history, in our team, in our organization, so we’ve been working hard on ways of introducing Blasty back into the fold

This team is so out of touch its unbelievable.

I didn't hate the Flames' horse head, but I'd rather see the shoulder crest from the cowboy shirt alt return than that.  Nice to know the horse had a lame name, though.

And I see the Kings are channeling their inner AS Monaco for the Stadium Series.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived