NHL changes 2019-20

BJ Sands

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/3/2020 at 5:38 PM, Bayne said:

I literally feel like the only person who doesn't like the Jets jerseys. Generic, poorly designed template in my eyes. 

I was a big booster of WInnipeg in the NHL but hey're not great. The roundel is a perfect secondary (check the IceCaps and Moose) and a weak primary. The midnight blue base is weak and uninspiring, especially as a home uniform when the Jets are most associated with white, midnight blue being as far as you can get from white short of black itself. The road uniforms look kind of interesting with the intersecting traditional/shoulder stripes, and should be the home and road uniforms, but the league won't seem to allow it. The straight nameplates clash with the italic numbers. It's not ideal. A lot better than anything the Thrashers wore, but that's one low bar.

21211082262_83d81986f4_b.jpg

This Manitoba Moose one-off, which was unknowingly a dress rehearsal for the Jets, has the color scheme right: medium blue, pale blue, and red. Put the roundel on the shoulders and design a new stick-as-J + jet "Winnipeg Jets" crest and now you're headed in the right direction.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'll defend the "Jets logo looks like clipart" take - yes, in concept it looks like the Air Force logo but the double-red and double-grey shading does make it look like clipart.

I personally think the logo would be improved by simplifying it, but that's just me.

spacer.png

I think the Jets Midnight Blue jersey is the best of the three. The base colour itself might not be inspiring but it does a great job of making the logo, striping and numbers stand out. It also looks cleaner than the road since it doesn't have sleeve stripes and a yoke.

The only real issue is the complete lack of aviator blue on the roundel. 

3 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

I think the jets logo would be improved by not being the RCAF roundel with a clip art plane on it. I get they want to pay tribute to the military, but the current logo is lame. 

11yg1qtygi35j53k15y9sjq9e.gif

?

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

On 2/9/2020 at 7:28 AM, Point1 said:

I'll defend the "Jets logo looks like clipart" take - yes, in concept it looks like the Air Force logo but the double-red and double-grey shading does make it look like clipart.

I personally think the logo would be improved by simplifying it, but that's just me.

spacer.png

Couldn’t agree more. This is nearly identical to the final versions I did, before they went whole hog stacking the jet on the leaf and adding the bevels. I think styling the logo like this, with solid colors and using a positive/negative technique to create the leaf and jet, is timeless, while the current feels cluttered with all the extra detail. I also think composing the mark like this, with the nose of the jet inside a leaf silhouette that’s closer to the “national leaf,” makes it communicate more clearly as two distinct elements, whereas the current, as constructed, can easily be misunderstood as a jet that’s in the process of being blown up.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

4 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I'm sort of an idiot and I've never understood it as a jet being blown up.

I’m sure most people don’t, but in my opinion, the added dimension and “realism” of the two elements makes it easier to misunderstand in that way, whereas the silhouette approach reads more clearly as “a Canadian maple leaf and a jet composed into a single icon.”

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 2/9/2020 at 8:28 AM, Point1 said:

spacer.png

I've never liked the Jets logo because of the maple leaf and this logo, while a better idea, is worse because the leaf is more prominent. This almost feels like a logo for the Canada Jets, not the Winnipeg Jets.

I know the Jets logo is based off the RAF logo, but the maple leaf is a Canadian symbol. I could give them a pass if they were the only Canadian team in the NHL, but the current Jets are the seventh team in Canada, with one of those other six teams already being the Maple Leafs.

IbjBaeE.png

1 hour ago, monkeypower said:

I know the Jets logo is based off the RAF logo, but the maple leaf is a Canadian symbol.

RCAF. The RCAF's roundel takes the red circle from the RAF roundel and makes it a maple leaf.

1 hour ago, monkeypower said:

I could give them a pass if they were the only Canadian team in the NHL, but the current Jets are the seventh team in Canada, with one of those other six teams already being the Maple Leafs.

So apparently the Jets asked the Maple Leafs if they could use the leaf, and the Leafs said yes.

30 minutes ago, DTConcepts said:

Unpopular opinion: The Avs' Stadium Series jerseys are actually really good, and that helmet looks fantastic.

The hats and whatnot also look f***ing spectacular.

I actually really like those beanies and the trucker hat. The jersey is just too over the top for my liking though. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

On 2/9/2020 at 10:28 AM, Point1 said:

spacer.png

This. Everyone knows the logo is based off the RCAF roundel, but it is poorly rendered and the shading doesn't make sense.

17 hours ago, Chromatic said:

84612437_10156805763142466_2966223337967

I get that it's technically the English way to spell it, but Montréal without the acute accent looks wrong, to me. It's the Toronto of French Canada, I think the French nature of it should take precedent when it comes to stuff like this in sports. Hell, the team uses the acute accent for the English webpage, as well.

9 hours ago, Chromatic said:

The Canucks have updated their retired numbers banners to reflect the uniform the player was most associated with. They still went with the same agency font for each though, I guess for some consistency between them.

1199949803_slide.jpg

This is a big improvement.  Smyl never wore blue and green, and Linden and Bure were most associated with the red and yellow look, though both wore the first generation Orca uniforms too. 

Archived