BJ Sands

NHL changes 2019-20

Recommended Posts

45 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

I get that it's technically the English way to spell it, but Montréal without the acute accent looks wrong, to me. It's the Toronto of French Canada, I think the French nature of it should take precedent when it comes to stuff like this in sports. Hell, the team uses the acute accent for the English webpage, as well.

I'm sure the French "repêchage" version will contain the accent. I have no issue with the English version not having it. 

9 minutes ago, Corvus said:

 

 

This is a big improvement.  Smyl never wore blue and green, and Linden and Bure were most associated with the red and yellow look, though both wore the first generation Orca uniforms too. 

Not to mention Naslund actually wore all 3 colour schemes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

 

This. Everyone knows the logo is based off the RCAF roundel, but it is poorly rendered and the shading doesn't make sense.

Do they? 😜

I remember back when the leaks came out that the new Jets would have an "air force-inspired look." 

And then they came out with a RCAF-inspired look, as expected. Some guy here, playing the Ugly American role, ranted about the maple leaf being used even after everyone informed him the logo was based on the RCAF roundel. When asked what he would prefer for an air force-themed Jets uni? He posted a picture of the USAF Academy men's hockey team. 

 

Yeah. Some doofus thought a team in Canada playing up the air force angle would model themselves after the USAF. 

So it never hurts to remind people, especially Americans, that Canada's air force is actually distinct with its own symbolism and everything. 

 

As for your complaints about the shading? The shading actually makes it look like its own thing. Otherwise it would just be a jet atop the RCAF roundel. The way it is gives it its own unique spin. It's based off of the RCAF roundel, but it's not just that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, IceCap said:

Do they? 😜

I remember back when the leaks came out that the new Jets would have an "air force-inspired look." 

And then they came out with a RCAF-inspired look, as expected. Some guy here, playing the Ugly American role, ranted about the maple leaf being used even after everyone informed him the logo was based on the RCAF roundel. When asked what he would prefer for an air force-themed Jets uni? He posted a picture of the USAF Academy men's hockey team. 

 

Yeah. Some doofus thought a team in Canada playing up the air force angle would model themselves after the USAF. 

So it never hurts to remind people, especially Americans, that Canada's air force is actually distinct with its own symbolism and everything. 

 

As for your complaints about the shading? The shading actually makes it look like its own thing. Otherwise it would just be a jet atop the RCAF roundel. The way it is gives it its own unique spin. It's based off of the RCAF roundel, but it's not just that. 

I have to disagree. To me it just looks like the RCAF roundel with a jet over it. It doesn’t seem like it’s own thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, IceCap said:

As for your complaints about the shading? The shading actually makes it look like its own thing. Otherwise it would just be a jet atop the RCAF roundel. The way it is gives it its own unique spin. It's based off of the RCAF roundel, but it's not just that. 

3 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

I have to disagree. To me it just looks like the RCAF roundel with a jet over it. It doesn’t seem like it’s own thing.

I agree with IceCap; it's not exactly the RCAF roundel, but it's definitely inspired by it. Using the roundel exactly would look more like how the RCAF Flyers did with a jet on the emblem;

spacer.png

 

I will admit, though, I do really like this modernized take on the 90's logo that Luke Orient had cooked up over on dribble;

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

I agree with IceCap; it's not exactly the RCAF roundel, but it's definitely inspired by it. Using the roundel exactly would look more like how the RCAF Flyers did with a jet on the emblem;

spacer.png

 

I will admit, though, I do really like this modernized take on the 90's logo that Luke Orient had cooked up over on dribble;

spacer.png

That concept is great. As for the roundel logo, they evolve over time and have different versions, of which Winnipeg’s looks like it could be any other with a jet over top. It doesn’t look like they were “inspired” by the RCAF roundel, it looks like they just took it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

That concept is great. As for the roundel logo, they evolve over time and have different versions, of which Winnipeg’s looks like it could be any other with a jet over top. It doesn’t look like they were “inspired” by the RCAF roundel, it looks like they just took it.

 

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Jets' logo has a silver outline, a different leaf shape, a jet on the roundel, a notch at the top and different colors from the RCAF roundel. It's very much not just taken wholesale, it's a modified version. It's close enough to need permission from the RCAF, but it's not identical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Corvus said:

 

 

This is a big improvement.  Smyl never wore blue and green, and Linden and Bure were most associated with the red and yellow look, though both wore the first generation Orca uniforms too. 

 

True that all of Smyl's regular season games were in the black, yellow and salmon.  IIRC, I remember reading somewhere the Canucks did not unveil the Flying V uniforms until the first game of the regular season in 1978-79?  Stan Smyl's rookie year.  Smyl would have worn the blue and green in the 1978 preseason.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chromatic said:

Not to mention Naslund actually wore all 3 colour schemes.

 

Linden as well.  His final season was the Canucks' first back in blue and green full time.

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Chromatic said:

As for the roundel logo, they evolve over time and have different versions, of which Winnipeg’s looks like it could be any other with a jet over top. It doesn’t look like they were “inspired” by the RCAF roundel, it looks like they just took it.

No version of the RCAF roundel used or uses shading on the leaf, a silver outline, or a notch at the top of the blue ring. Those flourishes allow the Jets' logo to stand out as uniquely their own while also clearly being inspired by the roundel.

 

And to be frank? The RCAF roundel is a better base to start from than a disk with the word "JETS" with a hockey stick. It's probably an unpopular opinion, but the Jets 1.0 never had a good logo. The roundel is the closest a Winnipeg Jets team had to something that looks timeless. It doesn't clutter the space up with text, it doesn't have a hockey stick forced in anywhere (stick work will injure you, you know 😉). It's just a pretty clearly defined logo that uses recognizable iconography.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Chromatic said:

The Canucks have updated their retired numbers banners to reflect the uniform the player was most associated with. They still went with the same agency font for each though, I guess for some consistency between them.

 

1199949803_slide.jpg

 

They only thing consistent with the Canucks' previous uniforms has been the use of traditional and timeless Athletic block font. The new banners look great overall but the respective block font from each jersey should've been included as well. The Canucks should have never used this sterile and weak Agency font.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, VancouverFan69 said:

 

They only thing consistent with the Canucks' previous uniforms has been the use of traditional and timeless Athletic block font. The new banners look great overall but the respective block font from each jersey should've been included as well. The Canucks should have never used this sterile and weak Agency font.

 

Agreed. Looks half-assed without the proper fonts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

 

They only thing consistent with the Canucks' previous uniforms has been the use of traditional and timeless Athletic block font. The new banners look great overall but the respective block font from each jersey should've been included as well. The Canucks should have never used this sterile and weak Agency font.

 

While ahistorical, the single color Agency font doesn't look half bad on the Linden and Bure banners, IMO. Would make for a good concept. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, roxfan00 said:

The setup for the Avs/Kings game at the Air Force Academy. 

spacer.png

Going by the layout of Falcon Stadium, they must've airlifted the Thunderbird in there with a chopper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

Going by the layout of Falcon Stadium, they must've airlifted the Thunderbird in there with a chopper.

 

It's safe to rule out that someone flew it and landed in the stadium...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

 

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Jets' logo has a silver outline, a different leaf shape, a jet on the roundel, a notch at the top and different colors from the RCAF roundel. It's very much not just taken wholesale, it's a modified version. It's close enough to need permission from the RCAF, but it's not identical.

 

15 hours ago, IceCap said:

No version of the RCAF roundel used or uses shading on the leaf, a silver outline, or a notch at the top of the blue ring. Those flourishes allow the Jets' logo to stand out as uniquely their own while also clearly being inspired by the roundel.

 

And to be frank? The RCAF roundel is a better base to start from than a disk with the word "JETS" with a hockey stick. It's probably an unpopular opinion, but the Jets 1.0 never had a good logo. The roundel is the closest a Winnipeg Jets team had to something that looks timeless. It doesn't clutter the space up with text, it doesn't have a hockey stick forced in anywhere (stick work will injure you, you know 😉). It's just a pretty clearly defined logo that uses recognizable iconography.

I can see the minute differences. I'm not saying its a carbon copy of the RCAF roundel. I'm saying the subtle changes they made aren't enough to differentiate the Jets logo enough to make it its own thing, in my eyes. I'm not opposed to basing a logo off a roundel, but I'd want something more original than taking an existing one and putting a plane over top.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2020 at 9:39 AM, WSU151 said:

 

While ahistorical, the single color Agency font doesn't look half bad on the Linden and Bure banners, IMO. Would make for a good concept. 

 

Also it looks to me like they're using a much higher weight on the Agency font on the banners than they do on the jerseys, thus the banners look a lot better.  Thinner Agency letters and numbers look more appropriate on a takeout menu than a sports jersey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Digby said:

 

Also it looks to me like they're using a much higher weight on the Agency font on the banners than they do on the jerseys, thus the banners look a lot better.  Thinner Agency letters and numbers look more appropriate on a takeout menu than a sports jersey.

Agreed, the jerseys would be improved by thicker numbers. Or a new font.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Sabres had 2000's Night tonight. They avoided all the issues they had with counterfeit jerseys on 90's Night and just gave the 2000's Alumni 50th Anniversary jerseys instead.   On one hand, kind of a cop out, but on the other hand at least we didn't have a bunch of guys out there in Slug jerseys.

 

HxekHmm.jpg?1

 

uRjfy1i.jpg?1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2020 at 8:26 AM, TBGKon said:

Going by the layout of Falcon Stadium, they must've airlifted the Thunderbird in there with a chopper.

 

Theres a giant gate on the North End of the stadium where all the cadets march in.  There would be plenty of room to roll that Thunderbird in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.