NHL changes 2019-20

BJ Sands

9 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Beauty. Bring this set back. Even through the newer banner logo on the front if they want. This template is a beauty though.

They oughta go with a silver pencil banner if they are dead set on the current logo over the chevy logo. 

The numbers in the sleeve stripes still looks cool. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Beauty. Bring this set back. Even through the newer banner logo on the front if they want. This template is a beauty though.

Use that recolored version of the 2000's crown they have lying around as the primary logo, put the banner on the shoulders and you have a massive improvement.

I'd still say the Kings need purple, but at least they'd have a look that's not a holdover from the Reebok era.

The Kings identity has me torn. On the one hand, I think Black and Silver is a great combo for them and they own it well, even if the current uniforms aren't the best from a striping perspective.

On the other, I think its a real shame that not a single team in the entire NHL wears purple in any capacity, and that has always been the Kings colour. 

I'd be okay if the Kings were just to match the home with the away.  I can live with their current logo, but tweak it with a different font.  Their grey alternate actually looks good, though I wished they had only used the crown by itself.  They can bring out the vintage purples for a couple of games if they want.

13 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

No purple, as purple is the color of failure for the Kings. I'd prefer a silver-grey third to ever revisiting purple.

There are teams who have had both failure and success with the same colour scheme. The Red Wings were the "Dead Things" of the 70's and early 80's in the very same uniforms worn during the Gordie Howe and Steve Yzerman/Hockey Town Cup-winning eras. The Capitals were horrible in their first 8 seasons in the ☆☆RWB☆☆ but as soon Rod Langway arrived from Montreal plus the drafting of d-man Scott Stevens along with fine offensive players, the Capitals became contenders in the tough Patrick Division for the rest of the 80's and early 90's.

The purple(Forum blue) and yellow-gold were not the reason for the Kings' failures. The Kings would have had the exact same success with those colours(perhaps a home white) with Gretzky's arrival.

13 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

No purple, as purple is the color of failure for the Kings. I'd prefer a silver-grey third to ever revisiting purple.

I'd disagree; the team seems perfectly happy to bring back purple for thirds or throwbacks, and it's a distinctly Los Angeles color in the NHL; they should embrace that, not shun it. The only other purple team was Anaheim...which is a part of the Los Angeles metropolitan area. And they're also predominantly using black.

The current colors also just look really boring when on the ice, especially in home games. You get black on white like 99% of the time then; that's about as visually-exciting as watching paint dry on a block of wood. Purple vs. red, purple vs. blue, etc. all look much more interesting and visually appealing. In an era where jerseys and colors are a huge and integral part of a sports brand, looking unique and interesting is a huge asset.

Besides, you'd expect more vivid, brighter colors out of a team in LA anyways; there's yellows and purples for the Lakers, blues, whites and reds for the Dodgers and Clippers, reds and whites for the Angels and even the Ducks heavily push orange in their brand; meanwhile, the Kings have the most boring color scheme in the NHL. Plus, with the Raiders moving to Vegas (after having already moved back to Oakland), that association won't matter anymore. Not unless the Kings want their look to have ties to a Vegas team. 😛

The team is bad, they'll be coming out of a rebuild with those glory days behind them having made two playoff appearances since then; one first-round exit where they nearly got swept by a division rival and the other first-round exit where they did get swept by a division rival. They're not that Cup-winning team anymore, they're going to be bad for a bit. Honestly, I'd be shocked if the Kings didn't rebrand as the rebuild nears it's end like Ottawa is planning on doing.

Two things about the Kings identity that bother me more than anything mentioned:

1. They didn't match the striping of the home and roads, even after the switch to Adidas.  Even the arm-stripe-width is different on each jersey.  Why?

2. They never created a reverse version of their logo.  This would be a better solution to the contrast issue (on the black jerseys) than adding the unnecessary outlines they did recently.

MReWFzg.png

The properly contrasting logo and full hem-stripe make the road jerseys look so much better than their counterparts.  It's a shame they didn't win one of their cups in them.

On 2/26/2020 at 11:38 AM, SFGiants58 said:

Black & Silver forever, purple never!

Yeah. Black and silver is associated with the Kings' best years. Purple is associated with their worst years. 

Seems easy to me. 

15 minutes ago, IceCap said:

Yeah. Black and silver is associated with the Kings' best years. Purple is associated with their worst years. 

Seems easy to me. 

I agree, I think they look good in black and silver. I just think its crazy that out of (soon to be) 32 teams, not a single one wears purple in any capacity. 

1 hour ago, Chromatic said:

I agree, I think they look good in black and silver. I just think its crazy that out of (soon to be) 32 teams, not a single one wears purple in any capacity. 

It's not just the NHL, purple just really isn't used in the Big 4.

In my quick calculation, of the (soon to be) 124 teams, only six seven teams use purple in their primary colour set (not including throwbacks, all the alternates the NBA has going on, etc) and four of them are in the NBA.

NHL: None

MLB: COL

NFL: BAL, MIN
NBA: CHA, LAL, PHX, SAC

Is it crazy none of the teams in the NHL use purple? I don't know, I wouldn't say so because teams can be whatever colour they want, it's not like there's a quota to meet. (Though maybe there should be in the MLB because how many blue and red teams do you need?)

IbjBaeE.png

1 minute ago, monkeypower said:

In my quick calculation, of the (soon to be) 124 teams, only six teams use purple in their primary colour set (not including throwbacks, all the alternates the NBA has going on, etc) and four of them are in the NBA.

NFL: BAL, MIN

Is it crazy none of the teams in the NHL use purple? I don't know, I wouldn't say so.

You forgot one but it's a borderline travesty that purple (and I'll throw kelly green in there, too) is so underutilized. 

2 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

In my quick calculation, of the (soon to be) 124 teams, only six teams use purple in their primary colour set (not including throwbacks, all the alternates the NBA has going on, etc) and four of them are in the NBA.

NFL: BAL

Is it crazy none of the teams in the NHL use purple? I don't know, I wouldn't say so because teams can be whatever colour they want, it's not like there's a quota to meet. (Though maybe there should be in the MLB because how many blue and red teams do you need?)

The Vikings also use purple quite extensively.

Regardless, I'm not in love with the colour or anything, its just a shame that it goes unused while seemingly every other team wears red, blue or red and blue.

1 minute ago, JayMac said:

You forgot one but it's a borderline travesty that purple (and I'll throw kelly green in there, too) is so underutilized. 

I did miss the Vikings. I was just scanning through the league pages on the mothership and missed them/forgot about them.

Fixed my original post.

IbjBaeE.png

29 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I think there should be no more than one or two teams in every league that sport purple.

Are you Paul Lukas?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived