NHL changes 2019-20

BJ Sands

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/27/2020 at 2:35 PM, monkeypower said:

It's not just the NHL, purple just really isn't used in the Big 4.

In my quick calculation, of the (soon to be) 124 teams, only six seven teams use purple in their primary colour set (not including throwbacks, all the alternates the NBA has going on, etc) and four of them are in the NBA.

NHL: None

MLB: COL

NFL: BAL, MIN
NBA: CHA, LAL, PHX, SAC

Is it crazy none of the teams in the NHL use purple? I don't know, I wouldn't say so because teams can be whatever colour they want, it's not like there's a quota to meet. (Though maybe there should be in the MLB because how many blue and red teams do you need?)

It's not like the Kings abandoned purple and switched to an overused colour scheme. They're the only NHL team using black/silver/white, which in my subjective opinion is a much better scheme than purple/gold. 

Green & purple would be a good combo for Seattle, but it's looking like they're set on turquoise/salmon red. Maybe if Quebec City ever gets a team back they can use powder blue/purple instead of becoming another blue & red team.

33 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

Maybe if Quebec City ever gets a team back they can use powder blue/purple instead of becoming another blue & red team.

Nobody uses powder blue. The only team that uses a color that comes close is St. Louis in their third, so even if Quebec does do blue and red, it would be somewhat unique. In any case, there are only six teams that currently use some form of blue and red and of those six, one uses a pair of shades that is unique (Colorado) and one has a minimal amount of red trim with the exception of their pants (Columbus) so Quebec doing blue and red wouldn't be "[just] another blue & red team."

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

On 2/20/2020 at 1:25 PM, Gothamite said:

Okay, this is pretty cool. 

spacer.png

They should make this logo mostly blue (only a green shamrock) and put it on the shoulder of the current jersey that sorely needs a shoulder crest.

shamrockles.png

shamrocklescronological.png

4 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

It's not like the Kings abandoned purple and switched to an overused colour scheme. They're the only NHL team using black/silver/white, which in my subjective opinion is a much better scheme than purple/gold. 

Green & purple would be a good combo for Seattle, but it's looking like they're set on turquoise/salmon red. Maybe if Quebec City ever gets a team back they can use powder blue/purple instead of becoming another blue & red team.

I disagree regarding the Kings and Nordiques. The Kings did abandon purple and gold just as much as the Sabres abandoned blue and gold in '96. Black and silver does suit the Kings but it can suit another team like the Lightning, minus the blue. However, the bold and distinctive look of purple and gold can only be used by the Kings because it represents royalty. 

As for the Nordiques, the powder blue represents Quebec and the red represents Canada. For example, when the Nordiques played the Rangers, it was easy to tell what colours and uniform template belonged to whom. The Rangers wear royal blue and red pants. 

Purple and gold might have more meaning for a team called the Kings, but, let's say Seattle called themselves Falcons and wanted to go purple and gold and it looked good, I don't see a problem with that.  

If only the Kings can wear those colours, then they should only be allowed to wear those colours.  Same thing with the Victoria Royals of the WHL.  

10 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

Are you Paul Lukas?

Who is that?

Here's the thing, and I know it's probably a weird opinion to have but I'm sticking with it: every league but the NFL needs one team that rocks purple and teal. I'm by excluding the NFL because I just can't imagine a football team pulling that color scheme off. Every other sport, though, it looks damned good, but you can't have more than one team sporting it or it screws up the Feng shuei of the whole league. I think you have to maintain a color balance. Red and blue teams are always gonna be more prevalent because primary colors are easier to work with. When you get into your secondary and tertiary colors things start getting tricky. 

6 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

Nobody uses powder blue. The only team that uses a color that comes close is St. Louis in their third, so even if Quebec does do blue and red, it would be somewhat unique. In any case, there are only six teams that currently use some form of blue and red and of those six, one uses a pair of shades that is unique (Colorado) and one has a minimal amount of red trim with the exception of their pants (Columbus) so Quebec doing blue and red wouldn't be "[just] another blue & red team."

Winnipeg does. But I don't think that should prevent the future Nordiques from using powder blue.

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

Who is that?

He’s the guy who writes Uni Watch and he’s famous for disliking the use of purple in sports.

46 minutes ago, Bmac said:

Winnipeg does. 

Winnipeg’s shade is darker than what St. Louis uses in their alt. 

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

16 minutes ago, Bmac said:

Is it?

The lighting in that first picture looks off.

If you go by the Pantones, Winnipeg's is definitely darker than St. Louis'.

Eh... Not exactly. The posts are about the two 3rd jerseys, which use the SAME color fabric and Pantone standard.

Strictly jerseys - these two are them same.

The most up-to-date NHL style sheets for 2019-20 do not callout the Jets light blue for their alternate to use in print, only their H&A,

but if they did, it would be same as STL. 

There are instances where the Pantone called out on the stylesheets vary from the fabric standard, and that's fine. Some teams have preference or it's easier to

match said color to industry standards for tees etc...  this is not one of those cases.

1 hour ago, ebod39 said:

Eh... Not exactly. The posts are about the two 3rd jerseys, which use the SAME color fabric and Pantone standard.

Strictly jerseys - these two are them same.

The most up-to-date NHL style sheets for 2019-20 do not callout the Jets light blue for their alternate to use in print, only their H&A,

but if they did, it would be same as STL. 

There are instances where the Pantone called out on the stylesheets vary from the fabric standard, and that's fine. Some teams have preference or it's easier to

match said color to industry standards for tees etc...  this is not one of those cases.

By RGB coding, they're not the same color, though;

3 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

The Jets "Aviator Blue" is RGB coded as R0 G76 B151.

The Blues' throwback third blue is RGB coded as R0 G114 B206.

They are definitely different shades of blue.

And I'd trust TruColor to be correct with their RBG values, so they're not the same thing. Similar, yes, but not identical. Look at these two side-by-side and tell me both have the same shade of blue;

spacer.png

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Bmac said:

Isn't this still "light blue" compared to St Louis' pale royal blue?

1188986061.jpg.0.jpg

14021580.jpg

Winnipeg-Jets-New-Alternate-Uniform-2019

5ca96ec3cd7c3.image.jpg?resize=1200,839

Those both aren't that far off the shade the Nordiques used.

spacer.png

If they ever come back they should definitely be primarily blue & white, but they need another colour to avoid being a Leafs look-alike. Red works just fine, but purple would be an opportunity for a much more unique scheme, even if it's just used sparingly.

17 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

However, the bold and distinctive look of purple and gold can only be used by the Kings because it represents royalty. 

The Lakers, Vikings and Ravens would disagree. Purple and gold does have a royal connotation, but colours can be associated with multiple things. If you look at Orange and Black, you might think of a tiger, like the Cincinnati Bengals, or you might think of Halloween. If you see red and gold, you might think of heat, like the Calgary Flames, or you might think of Spain. Or if you’re a larger individual you might even think of McDonalds. 

The point is, semiotics are weird and you can’t blanket associate a colour to a single thing.

Archived