NHL changes 2019-20

BJ Sands

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

Those both aren't that far off the shade the Nordiques used.

spacer.png

If they ever come back they should definitely be primarily blue & white, but they need another colour to avoid being a Leafs look-alike. Red works just fine, but purple would be an opportunity for a much more unique scheme, even if it's just used sparingly.

Well, if the Nordiques ever comes back (and that's a big if), they could go really old school, back to their WHA days.  But, I don't see them coming back in anything but the Sakic era jerseys.

spacer.png

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

Those both aren't that far off the shade the Nordiques used.

spacer.png

If they ever come back they should definitely be primarily blue & white, but they need another colour to avoid being a Leafs look-alike. Red works just fine, but purple would be an opportunity for a much more unique scheme, even if it's just used sparingly.

Y'all realize that ebod39 is the guy who actually designs these things for adidas and the NHL, right?

Yes, Pantones are different. Yes, RGB values are different. But as he said, more than once, the actual FABRIC that the jerseys are made with is the same color. Also, you can't account for lighting and photo edit effects. Bottom line is that y'all should listen to the man, he knows what he's talking about.

See y'all in another 8 years.

OD_Signature.jpg

5 hours ago, Chromatic said:

The Lakers, Vikings and Ravens would disagree. Purple and gold does have a royal connotation, but colours can be associated with multiple things. If you look at Orange and Black, you might think of a tiger, like the Cincinnati Bengals, or you might think of Halloween. If you see red and gold, you might think of heat, like the Calgary Flames, or you might think of Spain. Or if you’re a larger individual you might even think of McDonalds. 

The point is, semiotics are weird and you can’t blanket associate a colour to a single thing.

The Kings being the only team to be able to wear purple and gold is being the only NHL team that is. 

1 hour ago, VancouverFan69 said:

The Kings being the only team to be able to wear purple and gold is being the only NHL team that is. 

Why? I'm not advocating they change, but I don't see how purple and gold couldn't be used for a team like the Lightning, or Stars, or Sabres, or Seattle, or whoever. The only ones you could really make the argument against them using are teams that have a specific colour in their name like the Blues. Again, you can use semiotics to attribute whatever you want to a colour scheme.

9 hours ago, gordie_delini said:

Y'all realize that ebod39 is the guy who actually designs these things for adidas and the NHL, right?

I wasn't aware of that. If I'm going to be corrected, I'm glad it's by an expert, then.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

This discussion makes me think some of you guys have never seen this before.

788px-Checker_shadow_illusion.svg.png

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

3 hours ago, MDGP said:

This discussion makes me think some of you guys have never seen this before.

788px-Checker_shadow_illusion.svg.png

Everytime I see that, I need to squint to be sure those squares are the same colour. 

I saw, I came, I left.

14 minutes ago, TorinK92 said:

Probably bringing back their winter classic sweater from last season like they did a for a few games last year.

spacer.png

They already have worn them twice and are suppose to wear them again tomorrow against the Ducks.  Originally, they were scheduled to wear them only 3 times, but I guess they could have added a fourth game or made a change to the third date.  But, it could be something else completely because that logo looks different than the Winter Classics.

spacer.png

10 minutes ago, M4One said:

They already have worn them twice and are suppose to wear them again tomorrow against the Ducks.  Originally, they were scheduled to wear them only 3 times, but I guess they could have added a fourth game or made a change to the third date.  But, it could be something else completely because that logo looks different than the Winter Classics.

Maybe, but I doubt they'd unveil a new jersey near the end of a season with 6 days notice and no prior rumours.

Actually, looking at the teaser image again that logo looks like it could be really small and the textures don't really look right for a jersey. It could be something like a throwback night with scarfs or towels etc. in the stands.

21 minutes ago, TorinK92 said:

Maybe, but I doubt they'd unveil a new jersey near the end of a season with 6 days notice and no prior rumours.

Actually, looking at the teaser image again that logo looks like it could be really small and the textures don't really look right for a jersey. It could be something like a throwback night with scarfs or towels etc. in the stands.

It's 100% the Winter Classic jerseys that are going to be worn.  

That was announced at the beginning of the season that March 8th is a date for those jerseys to be worn 

It seems to be a heritage jersey for sale, but the WC jersey will be worn. The Blackhawks also have everything on their twitter feed greyscaled out right now. Definitely a promotion thing...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

6 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

It seems to be a heritage jersey for sale, but the WC jersey will be worn. The Blackhawks also have everything on their twitter feed greyscaled out right now. Definitely a promotion thing...

Ya, they greyscale their social media every time they wear those jerseys. Honestly, there's nothing really to see here in terms of jerseys. They're just releasing some new merch.

spacer.png

On 2/29/2020 at 12:09 PM, Ridleylash said:

By RGB coding, they're not the same color, though;

And I'd trust TruColor to be correct with their RBG values, so they're not the same thing. Similar, yes, but not identical. Look at these two side-by-side and tell me both have the same shade of blue;

spacer.png

spacer.png

The RGBs are different because they’re digital equivalents for PANTONE standards. PANTONE does publish standards for fabric as well, but most apparel companies have their own set of fabric colors and if one is close enough to replicate a team’s PANTONE standard, then that’s probably what’ll be used. A new fabric color can be developed, but it takes time and there are costs to subsequently develop it across multiple fabrics and products, so it can easily turn into a big undertaking. Team colors have to be matched/converted by multiple licensees and it’s often not efficient for a licensee to develop multiple colors for PANTONES that are very close to one another because large scale production has minimums and prioritizes efficiency. That’s why you’ll often see color variation if you buy a t-shirt from one company, a cap from another, and a jersey from a third.

For example, there might typically be a half dozen colors spanning the range from scarlet to cardinal to maroon to burgundy, but you can probably condense that range into three fabric colors: a bright red, a medium red, and a dark red. In this particular case, both teams use the same fabric color as the equivalent for their respective medium-light blues, so for all intents and purposes, those colors (on the ice) are the same, even though in print and digital media they’re slightly different. St. Louis is also a unique case because that color is only used on their third (prev. Winter Classic), so it’s not really even the “team color” and there’s not as much product made using that stuff.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived