NHL changes 2019-20

BJ Sands

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The jerseys are definitely a big whatever, but the Orca definitely feels Canuck by now. Almost more so to me than the flying skate. (Maybe a tie with the Stick-in-rink)

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Egads, what is up with that #1 ???   The name font looks similar to the OG font from their first few seasons but not when he played there.

The number font is all sorts of wrong.  Why not just use the current N&N ???  SMH

3 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

The jerseys are definitely a big whatever, but the Orca definitely feels Canuck by now. Almost more so to me than the flying skate. (Maybe a tie with the Stick-in-rink)

Sorry, but I can never connect the Orca to the Canucks' name and the hockey club's origins. It just screams corporate PC hockey and not Canucks hockey.

The classic 1970 Stick in Rink or at least, a recoloured Skate with the addition of Johnny Canuck as a secondary is what I would go with.

15 hours ago, ebod39 said:

Egads, what is up with that #1 ???   The name font looks similar to the OG font from their first few seasons but not when he played there.

The number font is all sorts of wrong.  Why not just use the current N&N ???  SMH

Yea that # is weird. I like the overall look of the banner though, aside from the font.

19 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Sorry, but I can never connect the Orca to the Canucks' name and the hockey club's origins. It just screams corporate PC hockey and not Canucks hockey.

If we're sticking to the team's WHL origins, they'd be yet another red/white/blue team with the widely-derided "VANCOUVER" wordmark and the player number number on the front of the jersey and nary a sight of Johnny Canuck on the actual jersey.

And the look of "Canucks hockey" is 80 million different things at this point, let's not add yet another offshoot of the team for fans to scream about in "which Canucks look is the best" threads; especially considering every team in the league is, at the end of the day, a corporation.

And a name as vague as "Canucks" doesn't exactly lend itself well to any one identity, as clearly evidenced by the identity schizophrenia this franchise has had for decades. I'd rather they keep what works over making another identity for everyone to :censored: and moan about a few years later. 😛

The classic 1970 Stick in Rink or at least, a recoloured Skate with the addition of Johnny Canuck as a secondary is what I would go with.

The skate in the classic colors has always looked hideous. It should stay a 80's/90's thing. Plus the logo itself isn't very good by modern standards anyways; keep it to a throwback night if you have to keep it around. The SiR is a perfect secondary logo, but it looks really dull as a primary logo and lacks the iconicity of stuff like the Whalers' logo to make up for that lack of oomph. The Orca has oomph to it, it also uses only two elements (a wave and an orca) to make a third (a C for the team name), much like how the Whalers logo uses negative space with it's two elements (a W and a whale's tail fluke) to add a third (an H).

As for Johnny, there's no real way to make him work as a secondary logo. The V one just looks silly and is very obviously derived from the Vachon logo. Hell, I don't even think he'd look good as a primary logo, either, to be honest. Plus it'd be another brand change for a team that's already notoriously derided for not having a consistent brand. It'd be feeding the problem, not fixing it.

The team finally has a look that's damn near perfect; the original colors, the Orca as the primary, the SiR as the secondary. Just because you personally don't like the Orca doesn't mean it needs to go, especially if it means yet another identity for everyone to squabble over. I'm sure plenty of Canucks fans are entirely happy with the current set and don't see any major changes as necessary, considering the only majorly-derided element of the brand since Reebok took over (the arched VANCOUVER, an homage to the WHL team) just got scrapped and I've seen basically nothing but praise over it.

Besides, considering the stereotypes often associated with lumberjacks these days, perhaps it's for the best that they don't have Johnny as the main logo. 😛

56 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

If we're sticking to the team's WHL origins, they'd be yet another red/white/blue team with the widely-derided "VANCOUVER" wordmark and the player number number on the front of the jersey and nary a sight of Johnny Canuck on the actual jersey.

And the look of "Canucks hockey" is 80 million different things at this point, let's not add yet another offshoot of the team for fans to scream about in "which Canucks look is the best" threads; especially considering every team in the league is, at the end of the day, a corporation.

And a name as vague as "Canucks" doesn't exactly lend itself well to any one identity, as clearly evidenced by the identity schizophrenia this franchise has had for decades. I'd rather they keep what works over making another identity for everyone to :censored: and moan about a few years later. 😛

The skate in the classic colors has always looked hideous. It should stay a 80's/90's thing. Plus the logo itself isn't very good by modern standards anyways; keep it to a throwback night if you have to keep it around. The SiR is a perfect secondary logo, but it looks really dull as a primary logo and lacks the iconicity of stuff like the Whalers' logo to make up for that lack of oomph. The Orca has oomph to it, it also uses only two elements (a wave and an orca) to make a third (a C for the team name), much like how the Whalers logo uses negative space with it's two elements (a W and a whale's tail fluke) to add a third (an H).

As for Johnny, there's no real way to make him work as a secondary logo. The V one just looks silly and is very obviously derived from the Vachon logo. Hell, I don't even think he'd look good as a primary logo, either, to be honest. Plus it'd be another brand change for a team that's already notoriously derided for not having a consistent brand. It'd be feeding the problem, not fixing it.

The team finally has a look that's damn near perfect; the original colors, the Orca as the primary, the SiR as the secondary. Just because you personally don't like the Orca doesn't mean it needs to go, especially if it means yet another identity for everyone to squabble over. I'm sure plenty of Canucks fans are entirely happy with the current set and don't see any major changes as necessary, considering the only majorly-derided element of the brand since Reebok took over (the arched VANCOUVER, an homage to the WHL team) just got scrapped and I've seen basically nothing but praise over it.

Besides, considering the stereotypes often associated with lumberjacks these days, perhaps it's for the best that they don't have Johnny as the main logo. 😛

Agree to strongly disagree.😐

14 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

“Corporate PC hockey,” really? You’re playing the “PC” card to defend Johnny?

No. Corporate PC hockey is a reflection of the Orca logo. 

That's all I'm going to say. Moving on to other logo and uniform topics until there's new Canucks-related logo/uniform news.

Cheers.

When these Maple Leafs jerseys were first unveiled, I didn't like the inconsistent striping on the sleeves and hem. But now that design has really grown on me and if you include the pants stripe and the socks, I think it's a neat striping pattern of double-single-single-double (starting from the sleeves and working down).

1202654627_slide.jpg

IbjBaeE.png

1 hour ago, monkeypower said:

When these Maple Leafs jerseys were first unveiled, I didn't like the inconsistent striping on the sleeves and hem. But now that design has really grown on me and if you include the pants stripe and the socks, I think it's a neat striping pattern of double-single-single-double (starting from the sleeves and working down).

1202654627_slide.jpg

I miss the triple stripped sock. It was just one of those things that just was cause It was with Toronto. Just like the mis-matched home and away for Montreal or Boston having gold socks for their black. It just was and it was character to them. 
51qmaF-ONKL.jpg

zyyMk1d.png

I'm starting to wonder if Bill Foley was trolling everyone about auctioning off the Golden Knights alternate jersey.  It's been a couple of weeks or so.  How has it not surfaced?  If I won the auction, I'd put it out there and gloat about it to everyone.

Canadiens Add Memorial Patch for Henri Richard

March 11, 2020 - 15:01 PM

The Montreal Canadiens added a memorial patch to their sweaters last night to honour the memory of Henri Richard. Richard, who died late last week at the age of 84, spent twenty seasons with the Canadiens from 1955 through 1975 […]

Read More...

9 hours ago, M4One said:

I'm starting to wonder if Bill Foley was trolling everyone about auctioning off the Golden Knights alternate jersey.  It's been a couple of weeks or so.  How has it not surfaced?  If I won the auction, I'd put it out there and gloat about it to everyone.

They either had the winner sign an NDA until after the actual release or won't actually give them the physical jersey until then.

4 hours ago, ebod39 said:

They either had the winner sign an NDA until after the actual release or won't actually give them the physical jersey until then.

Based on what Foley said about it being out there, my belief is that the person got the jersey.  Signing a NDA is kinda weird thing to do.  Why didn't they just wait until they are officially released?  https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/goldenknights/golden-knights-to-unveil-third-jersey-this-summer-1962042/

On 3/7/2020 at 12:55 PM, Chromatic said:

That look is the redheaded stepchild of the rogues gallery of Canucks uniforms. Its not bad, but its certainly the least memorable, for good or ill, and better fits a city other than Vancouver.

It's a look that didn't have any significant on-ice success or memorable playoff runs. Started off tainted with the Messier debacle and the awful years in-between the decline of the 1994 Cup final squad and the rise of the West Coast Express group, who ultimately accomplished nothing of note.  During the years they wore the uniform, they missed the playoffs four times, and got to a conference semi-final twice. 

Archived