BJ Sands

NHL changes 2019-20

On 5/30/2020 at 12:36 PM, SFGiants58 said:

I wish the Suns, Cardinals, and Diamondbacks would follow the Coyotes towards a Southwestern Native American art style. 

Whoa whoa whoa...don’t we need some sort of local tribal permission for that? 

The revisionist history around these sweaters is wild. I remember much of this board being glad that Gretzky went to more traditional uniforms. Granted, it was 2003, kind of a dark age for sports design, in retrospect, but still.

I'm sure I could dig up lots of threads here that persuasively lay out all the flaws to the 1996-2003 set, but I think I'd have a harder time finding much "these uniforms were masterpieces and never should have been changed one stitch," which has suddenly become the prevailing opinion about a team that functionally had no color scheme you could refer to off the top of your head. But I could be wrong. I don't know. I'm very lazy. 

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

The revisionist history around these sweaters is wild. I remember much of this board being glad that Gretzky went to more traditional uniforms. Granted, it was 2003, kind of a dark age for sports design, in retrospect, but still.

I'm sure I could dig up lots of threads here that persuasively lay out all the flaws to the 1996-2003 set, but I think I'd have a harder time finding much "these uniforms were masterpieces and never should have been changed one stitch," which has suddenly become the prevailing opinion about a team that functionally had no color scheme you could refer to off the top of your head. But I could be wrong. I don't know. I'm very lazy. 

The 2000's were pretty strict and traditionalist in terms of sports design in the Big 4 compared to the mid-late 90's, which was very experimental. Less colors, less unique striping, more "traditional" logos, it was sort of a nu!Original Six era in that sense of where design was very sort of standardized. Teams with unusual designs (Coyotes, Ducks) went to traditionalist looks in the decade after starting with stuff that was less traditional hockey fare.

It's only now, looking back with a less strict aesthetic lens, that people are really beginning to come around on those less traditional designs. I won't argue that the Kachinas in the modern colors would look really nice. But I don't see how the current Kachinas are as fugly as some people claim they are. A little dark, sure, but at the end of the day they're more unique then the Coyotes being another red/black/white team.

If you want fugly, that's what the Pooh Bear is for, not the Kachina. 😜 

49 minutes ago, TheOatsMustFlow said:

Leave them as is with the updated Adidas collar. They are perfect to Coyotes fans.

Yeah, but can you really make a profit off of just five customers? 

10 hours ago, mafiaman said:

Whoa whoa whoa...don’t we need some sort of local tribal permission for that? 

Yeah, which the Coyotes got. 

Let’s get out before we violate rule four, agreed?

6 hours ago, TheOatsMustFlow said:

Might have to widen the margins a bit

nah

- Original Coyotes set? Awesome - if there are flaws I don't really care, I love them, though they could have come up with a better 3rd option. 

- 2003 Refresh? Solid - the logo and simplicity were nice, just not as unique. 

- 2015 when black was added? Bland - lost its simplicity, muddled the design.

I would love if they just adopted the old set full-time, but would welcome a redone version as well. I also really like the current primary logo, it would be cool if they were able to fit it into the 3rd option or a new shoulder patch. 

Phoenix-Coyotes-Alternate-Uniform-2011.j

Hear me out on this one: there's something to be said for a set that's modern not in terms of being over-the-top goofy but just in breaking conventions of hockey design: all vertical elements instead of stripes, black sweaters with non-black helmets and shorts. A middle finger to all things "Original Six Dress-Up" seems fitting for this team and their small but perpetually aggrieved fanbase. The Picassoyote set, when you get down to it, was a contrived version of the Penguins' and Panthers' sets from the same time: angled shoulder yoke, angled sleeve stripes, matching hem stripe. This set doesn't owe much to anything before it, as best I can tell.

Of course, I'd have used the normal howling coyote on the front and not that stupid running one, and I'd think about Industria for names and numbers instead of Friz Quadrata + Impact (real nuts and gum there), but the fundamentals of this alternate were highly underrated.

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Hear me out on this one: there's something to be said for a set that's modern not in terms of being over-the-top goofy but just in breaking conventions of hockey design: all vertical elements instead of stripes, black sweaters with non-black helmets and shorts. A middle finger to all things "Original Six Dress-Up" seems fitting for this team and their small but perpetually aggrieved fanbase. The Picassoyote set, when you get down to it, was a contrived version of the Penguins' and Panthers' sets from the same time: angled shoulder yoke, angled sleeve stripes, matching hem stripe. This set doesn't owe much to anything before it, as best I can tell.

Of course, I'd have used the normal howling coyote on the front and not that stupid running one, and I'd think about Industria for names and numbers instead of Friz Quadrata + Impact (real nuts and gum there), but the fundamentals of this alternate were highly underrated.

The color balance actually isn't bad.

People hated the "roadkill" coyote logo, but it's not a terrible uniform in terms of color balance and, yeah, like you mentioned, the striping elements weirdly work. The curved "armpit" striping sort of matches the curvature of the primary head logo.

I don't think another team has worn this color sequence either... red helmet, black jersey, red breezers, black socks. Historically it's certainly different.

All that said, it's probably my least favorite uniform the Coyotes have ever worn.

The Coyotes over-corrected towards traditional when they rebranded in 2003 but I do think it ended up being a good look for them.

I remember at the time that the all-red seemed really refreshing (especially watching on TV) because although the 90's uniforms are obviously unique they looked really washed out and bland on the TV screens of the era. I mean just look at these highlights. They look dull.

Now? The throwbacks look 100x better on tv now in the HD era. You can actually see the green shoulders and the red in the socks.

But like, it's a lot of 90s nostalgia combined with the "they're so good, they're bad" factor... right? The original coyotes uniforms are what got me in to sports jersey design when I was a kid because I loved them so much, so it's a bit hard for me to look at it all objectively, but they're gaudy and ridiculous. That's why they are great. It's like the gradient Jazz or Hawks jerseys of the 90s ... Canucks and Penguins jerseys with gradients... etc. They're bizarre and that's why we like them.

There have been a few threads through the years at combining Coyotes elements.  To me it's almost like the Chargers or Buccaneers... they've always (or at least mostly) looked good, but it's tough to blend generations and make everyone happy.  Squeezing the green, black, and red together is really tricky, IMO.

@B-mer made this pretty cool version:

M4M45N6.png

Personally I think they should play up their more unique colors and I prefer the old head logo:

hx8S8eL.png

(I stole his template)

On 6/3/2020 at 11:36 AM, IceCap said:

Yeah, but can you really make a profit off of just five customers? 

Nope.  Skating on the frozen blood of non believers in front of five fans is certainly not a money-making proposition.  They'd probably make more money if they bulldozed the arena and made it a parking lot.

On 6/3/2020 at 8:39 PM, the admiral said:

Replace the logo with the howling coyote and use black helmets instead of burgundy and you have a pretty nice uniform.  Easily could have replaced the hemless primaries at the time and way better than the mess they got now.

Yes on the logo, but leave the helmet as it is. That's one of the things I pointed out as breaking a rule but getting away with it: usually helmet and breezers are black and sweaters and socks are a different color or also black. They inverted it and got away with it. 

White sweater would be the same inserts with an extra black outline setting off the white from the beige.

12 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Nope.  Skating on the frozen blood of non believers in front of five fans is certainly not a money-making proposition.  They'd probably make more money if they bulldozed the arena and made it a parking lot.

I am getting flashbacks on that one...

21 minutes ago, DEAD! said:

I am getting flashbacks on that one...

The classics really never go out of style. 

cool, I just bought an original logo cap (sports specialties ) off ebay. Love the logo 

On 6/7/2020 at 2:42 PM, M4One said:

Replace the logo with the howling coyote and use black helmets instead of burgundy and you have a pretty nice uniform.  Easily could have replaced the hemless primaries at the time and way better than the mess they got now.

It's OK.

spacer.png