BJ Sands

NHL changes 2019-20

I'm not a fan of that alternate uniform, honestly. The flank stripes are dumb, just like with Calgary, and reducing the two dominant team colors to that stupid flank stripe and the cuffs isn't what I'd call a good move. Even giving it the howling logo doesn't exactly salvage it's core problems, which is the design just isn't all that interesting visually.

It's the same problem the Kings' current uniforms suffer from; the whole jersey is excessively monochromatic, besides like one or two areas. It wasn't helped by the rest of the set also being rather bland with entirely brick pants and mostly black socks. The Kachinas could pull off a mostly-black set because there was enough other color spread around through the striping and shoulder yokes to make the whole kit more visually interesting. Stripping most of that color away and replacing it with just brick and sand makes the stark blackness of it all the worse.

If we're going to go a different direction, that direction should ideally be a set that would be widely considered an upgrade over the Kachina.

8 hours ago, ldconcepts said:

At this point, Kachina has 7.8k, yowling coyote 2.6k.

not surprised at all by this

The Kachina has so much more character. I'm not obsessed with the jersey like a lot of people are, but the logo itself is just so much more interesting than the howling Coyote. I don't dislike the howling Coyote, but it's not very memoriable and is overall just a bit too bland for me.

Neither logo is particularly good, but the current howling coyote logo is just so dull and depressing. It almost looks like it’s howling out in despair. It represents the franchise well in that sense, but I don’t think that’s the angle they want to go for. 

The Kachina coyote is really goofy, but that’s why it works. The idea of even having a hockey team in the Phoenix area is inherently goofy, so they might as well just go full speed ahead with it and embrace the goofiness. 

Can’t believe I’m in the minority but I love their current logo. The Kachina should only be used as an alternate.

21 minutes ago, daniel75 said:

Can’t believe I’m in the minority but I love their current look. The Kachina should only be used as an alternate.

It's fine, but that's really all it is. It's passabledecentnot bad. The descriptors used aren't the same as the Kachinas, which usually get way more praise as being excellent, awesome or the best look.

The current set feels...I don't want to say "sterile", but certainly "safe"; it's a design that uses straight striping and a really basic logo. So many teams use open-mouthed animal logos in sports; and combined with the much more basic jersey designs, it comes off as way more bland compared to a design focused more on capturing an authentic Arizonan feel like the Kachina. 

Plus I hate the tiny little stripe at the bottoms. Not having a significant amount of hem color but color on the arms makes the jersey look more like a tank top over a normal shirt than, well, a single article of clothing.

Monkeypower also brought up another issue I have with the current Yotes jerseys;

On 4/20/2020 at 7:35 PM, monkeypower said:

My biggest issue with the current Coyotes look are the home socks. I like the concept of the sleeves remaining the same on both jerseys and that sleeve pattern being the sock striping, but the home socks makes them look like a white bottomed red sock with a floating black stripe instead of a cohesive striping pattern.

To try to explain what I'm saying, the white socks appear as a white sock with a b/r/w/r/w striping pattern that copies the sleeve pattern. On the red socks, it looks more like a red sock, a black stripe, a return to the red sock and then a w/r/w pattern separate from the above black stripe. 

5b9823847c3fd.image.jpg?resize=1200,834

The only thing that needs to change are the shoulders. They're unnecessary and clutter the design a little too much...and they're barely visible on tv anyway (on the black jerseys), so nobody should miss them.

Yes, I realize that sounds like a contradiction, but the "is there something there?" is more distracting than if it were obvious. Eliminating the shoulders is how you bring this jersey into the modern age.

The socks on the current set are atrocious.  There's no need for black anywhere on them, let alone that close to the breezers.

On 6/20/2020 at 3:57 AM, FiddySicks said:

Neither logo is particularly good, but the current howling coyote logo is just so dull and depressing. It almost looks like it’s howling out in despair. It represents the franchise well in that sense, but I don’t think that’s the angle they want to go for. 

The Kachina coyote is really goofy, but that’s why it works. The idea of even having a hockey team in the Phoenix area is inherently goofy, so they might as well just go full speed ahead with it and embrace the goofiness. 

Execution wise, the howling Coyote is a decent logo - it just doesn't inspire much interest. It lacks any kind of gravitas. I always appreciate a well done illustration of a animal, which I think the current logo is, but it has some deficiencies in the 'classic' hockey branding department. Like I said, it's kind of forgettable. 

The Kachina is a bit goofy, but it's also got potential to be cool. In my ideal scenario, they use it on the jerseys with a little bit more restraint. The logo is busy enough that it doesn't need to be supported by 5 different colours and patterns everywhere. I like a bit of that for sure, but back it off a bit and it could be perfect. 

They should bring back the moon at center ice while they're at it.

On 6/20/2020 at 11:03 PM, Bayne said:

Execution wise, the howling Coyote is a decent logo - it just doesn't inspire much interest. It lacks any kind of gravitas. I always appreciate a well done illustration of a animal, which I think the current logo is, but it has some deficiencies in the 'classic' hockey branding department. Like I said, it's kind of forgettable. 

The Kachina is a bit goofy, but it's also got potential to be cool. In my ideal scenario, they use it on the jerseys with a little bit more restraint. The logo is busy enough that it doesn't need to be supported by 5 different colours and patterns everywhere. I like a bit of that for sure, but back it off a bit and it could be perfect. 

I like the current look a lot, just wish the waist stripe matched the arm stripe

I loved the Kachina logo, just not the uniform design and color scheme that went with it and I agree, too many colors (Brick, Sand, Black, Purple, Green....did a 5yr old color this uniform  LOL) just made it feel cluttered

Hurricanes going with the black alternates for the postseason once again.

It’s so obnoxious that the players think the black jerseys are better luck. Those home read jerseys are absolutely fantastic, and we’ll be robbed of a better uniform match up in any series that they play in...

1 hour ago, chcarlson23 said:

It’s so obnoxious that the players think the black jerseys are better luck. Those home read jerseys are absolutely fantastic, and we’ll be robbed of a better uniform match up in any series that they play in...

Their home reds are 10x more impactful. I don't understand their infatuation with these black ones. That 'logo' makes me mad.

31 minutes ago, Bayne said:

Their home reds are 10x more impactful. I don't understand their infatuation with these black ones. That 'logo' makes me mad.

Or why they couldn't make their whites match them...  For the second time.

16 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

Or why they couldn't make their whites match them...  For the second time.

Im guessing they wanted to be more red, and a white version matching the home would be more black than they wanted?  I think it’s funny because the new home and a white version are nearly identical to their original jerseys, at lest the hem stripes. Look at them side by side though. 

spacer.pngspacer.png

30 minutes ago, B-mer said:

I think it’s funny because the new home and a white version are nearly identical to their original jerseys, at lest the hem stripes. Look at them side by side though.

They never should have changed their original jerseys in the first place, especially after winning a championship in them.  The concept you posted isn't perfect but it's close enough.

spacer.png

The only tweaks I would make to this set are updating the shoulder patch, so it has two flags, and maybe toning down the numbers.  I particularly miss silver being incorporated into the striping as it set them apart from the other Red and Black teams.

On 6/18/2020 at 11:18 PM, Pharos04 said:

At this point, Kachina has 7.8k, yowling coyote 2.6k.

not surprised at all by this

I would like to see this one used as the crestspacer.png

On 6/22/2020 at 8:50 PM, Fitzy0220 said:

I like the current look a lot, just wish the waist stripe matched the arm stripe

I loved the Kachina logo, just not the uniform design and color scheme that went with it and I agree, too many colors (Brick, Sand, Black, Purple, Green....did a 5yr old color this uniform  LOL) just made it feel cluttered

You missed Orange. It’s six different colors.