NHL changes 2019-20

BJ Sands

Every Possible 2020 Stanley Cup Final Matchup Remaining

August 19, 2020 - 19:07 PM

Well it’s late August, so that can only mean it’s time for playoff hockey! As we discussed earlier this week with the NBA Playoffs (see that here), every year for all the big four sports we track every possible finals matchup as the postseason goes along. For the upcoming 2020

Read More...

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just noticed that the NHL is using a flat version of their logo on the 2020 playoff logo on the bracket page.

primary-logo.svg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

5 hours ago, nash61 said:

I just noticed that the NHL is using a flat version of their logo on the 2020 playoff logo on the bracket page.

primary-logo.svg

That seems a bit strange.Maybe it's intentionally done to not draw the eye away from the cup and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Good. A flat grey shield flipped so that the text reads top to bottom, as our eyes are trained to read, would be ideal. I still miss the orange, of course. Still, the beveling has to go now. I hope it'll be gone for good.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

6 hours ago, the admiral said:

Good. A flat grey shield flipped so that the text reads top to bottom, as our eyes are trained to read, would be ideal. I still miss the orange, of course. Still, the beveling has to go now. I hope it'll be gone for good.

There's no way it's gone for good.

And text reading slanded upwards is more pleasing for my eyes. I don't know about you but text is more favourable to be italicised right and not left. 

7 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Yeah, because text reads left to right and right-handed handwriting skews right. That has nothing to do with skewing text vertically.

spacer.png

Text that leans right is more pleasing to me than text that leans left. It's unnatural. Yes it's going upwards and downwards too, but I'm eliminating that and just just giving my opinion based on the skewing of the characters.

6 minutes ago, Bayne said:

spacer.png

Text that leans right is more pleasing to me than text that leans left. It's unnatural. Yes it's going upwards and downwards too, but I'm eliminating that and just just giving my opinion based on the skewing of the characters.

that's not the argument though.

Take the exact same font, let's say the top. Make the letters go top to bottom and it'll look better than bottom to top.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

2 minutes ago, _J_ said:

that's not the argument though.

Take the exact same font, let's say the top. Make the letters go top to bottom and it'll look better than bottom to top.

Ok well I'm confused.

National Hockey League Primary Logo - National Hockey League (NHL) - Chris  Creamer's Sports Logos Page - SportsLogos.Net

This is more pleasing to the eye. It doesn't read as being skewed left because your eyes are moving top to bottom, left to right. Obviously, if you had a freestanding "NHL" wordmark, it wouldn't retain that slant.

The reason they changed it in the first place coming out of the lockout was "we want to signal the league is moving in an upward direction," which was pretty corny considering everyone knew the league would be lucky to simply not make things even worse.

Is the sash needed at all?  Maybe just put a big H in the middle with a N inside the goal posts and an L in between the support beams.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

spacer.png

Here's what the modern flat shield might look like with downward-slanted lettering. I think it reads a little more clearly then the upward facing version; your eyes start at the N and end on the L, whereas the current slant tends to lead to the L first, leaving you at LHN, which obviously isn't right.

And here's a bonus orange version, because I like the orange shield more then the grey shield;

spacer.png

5 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Is the sash needed at all?  Maybe just put a big H in the middle with a N inside the goal posts and an L in between the support beams.

I think removing the sash kind of ruins the historical angle of the logo; the base design started way back in the National Hockey Association in 1910, and that kind of design longevity does not get messed with and changed lightly.

And even the NHA logo was the same orientation and basic design as the NHL shield, just with one letter changed;

spacer.png

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

That just sounds confusing, every other league has a break where the wordmark is suppose to go

4 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

spacer.png

Here's what the modern flat shield might look like with downward-slanted lettering. I think it reads a little more clearly then the upward facing version; your eyes start at the N and end on the L, whereas the current slant tends to lead to the L first, leaving you at LHN, which obviously isn't right.

And here's a bonus orange version, because I like the orange shield more then the grey shield;

spacer.png

You see I disagree. I still read from left to right, the fact that the L is higher on the right doesn't confuse me. Why would you suddenly read backwards?

Plus this just looks incredibly awkward.

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

I was thinking more like this. I took the spikes off the letters as well, too mid-2000s NFL for me.

QHsZjf6.jpg

This looks ok, even though I see a lot of negative space around the L which bothers me slightly. I still prefer the upwards sash... I don't see a problem with it.

12 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

And even the NHA logo was the same orientation and basic design as the NHL shield, just with one letter changed;

That logo is very likely wrong.  It dates back to a time when people were making up best-guess logos for teams/leagues where there was no definitive logo.

As far as I know, no photo of an NHA logo has ever been found.  What we do know is that, until 1938 or so, the NHL logo featured text that was simply slanted, not skewed.  The mothersite doesn't recognize that despite photographic proof.  In order for that NHA logo to be accurate, the NHL would have had to copy everything about the NHA logo except for the skew of the letters, swapping out the A for an L, and then just happen to put the skew back 20ish years later.

On 8/23/2020 at 6:20 PM, the admiral said:

I was thinking more like this. I took the spikes off the letters as well, too mid-2000s NFL for me.

QHsZjf6.jpg

This composition creates problems by accentuating the heaviness in the joints of the N and making the already huge negative space around the L even more conspicuous. Running the type uphill solves those two aesthetic issues, and in my opinion, you’re overstating the importance of the natural reading pattern because it’s not really meant be “read.” It’s more image than text, and they have equity in the shape and the mere presence of the sash. Loads of monograms and baseball scripts successfully challenge customary reading patterns by interlocking letters in complex ways and running uphill, respectively.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

3 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

in my opinion, you’re overstating the importance of the natural reading pattern because it’s not really meant be “read.”

I am

On 8/23/2020 at 12:40 PM, the admiral said:

those lame traditionalists who still yearn for their goony northeastern bus league.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, I really don't like the Avs jerseys at all. I've always felt that their colour scheme came across as a bit muddy, and on TV that's definitely highlighted. In person I'm sure it's neat, and the colours are unique and I think they're fine. But it just doesn't feel sharp to me, it never has. I think their white jersey is the weakest. At least the dark jersey is attempting to be bold with its use of colour but that road jersey just looks indecisive and bland.

The Avs looked much better back in the 90's/early 2000's when they embraced the mountain theme with the jagged edges, the stylised numbers and the Big Foot shoulder patch. Now they're just a pale imitation of that. The C shoulder patch looks like it belongs on a different jersey to one that has the primary logo on the chest - they don't work with each other at all. The lack of white in the striping means the jersey has no definition and it just looks like a dark blur. The white of the road jersey feels like it gets 'dirtied' by the blue and maroon. And the adidas collar, while not their fault, isn't used well at all, and just adds to my problems I have with it all. 

Just had to get that off my chest. I actually still like the Avs logo, but it certainly isn't being helped by the jerseys. It just feels like it lacks vision and confidence. Feels like the time that the Avs will bring out a new logo in the next few years and just tighten everything up, I don't know. It's not working for me right now.

Archived