Jump to content

NHL changes 2019-20


BJ Sands
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Bayne said:

I don't think it matters if the level of authenticity is lowered slightly in order to achieve an 'interpretation' of the style. In fact, I respect that more. You're using a native art style as inspiration for a modern mark, paying homage to it while not overtly re-appropriating it with little to no modification. I like the fact that the Orca isn't exactly what you would expect from a logo that is trying to elicit a native art style, yet there are clear indicators that it is inspired by exactly that. It is its own thing. As far as the cracked ice and the opposing graphic styles within the logo - sure, I guess that's valid. But without getting too caught up in the level of accuracy of what is and isn't proper native art, I think it works. It's got a 90's look, but it's not a gross 90's look (especially since the recolouring) and I appreciate the relatively aforementioned harmonious merging of styles that it has accomplished. 

 

That’s exactly what I was getting at, in a much more concise package. 🙂

 

I have much more respect for a great interpretation of an artistic style or movement compared to a direct lift of a sculpture or other piece of art. Looking at traditional or fine art through the lens of sports, if you will. Being authentic is nice, and it’s important, but you can’t steal to get there. You have to do it through your interpretation; your audience should be able to understand your inspiration by reading the image. I think the Canucks’ orca and the Seahawks’ logo both do well by that measure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On March 15, 2019 at 8:52 PM, monkeypower said:

Doesn't matter what teams are playing, all the fans will be in green. I'd say just have the Flames wear Stampeders jerseys and the Jets wear Bombers jerseys.

 

Wedding attire in Saskatchewan is their fanciest Roughriders jersey.

Don't forget the watermelon head...

 

10086918.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Would make sense for the Jets to wear the blue uniforms they wore during the 1980s (Hawerchuk days) and the Flames wearing the white throwback 1980s uniforms.  Old Smythe Division memories.

 

Though would love to see the Jets wear the royal blue version on the last WHA uniforms.  Not only because that uniform looked great, but a subtle nod to the WHL's Regina Pats, who wore that similar design for many years.

 

spacer.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, ldconcepts said:

If the Jets wore the blue versions of their Heritage jerseys, and the Flames wore the white versions of their alternate jerseys (then upgraded them to primary status), I think we would all be happy.

you should make a set with ur new template showing us what that would look like with home and away.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What I'm gathering from those tweets, mainly the second and the last, is that the Flames are going to be wearing the retro whites in the Heritage Classic and then continue to wear them a few times during the season. If I had to guess, they would definitely wear them against the Oilers, a rematch against the Jets and maybe the Leafs and Habs if the schedule works out. 

 

Then maybe in two seasons, it's full retro home and away.

 

As for Blasty the Horse, I don't know where he could be returning. He does say not on a jersey, but I'm hoping he misspoke and meant not on the front of the jersey because I hope it's replacing the flags on the shoulders.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Some tweets with interesting info from the Flames director of marketing:

 

 

This could mean a lot of things.

1) The NHL will allow for two alternates or throwbacks for all teams (most unlikely, but we'll see) 

2) Buying a red sweater now and a new white alternate next year will give you a Home and Away set

3) Calgary will change its road white jersey to a throwback, keep the red primary home, and continue to have one red throwback

4) The white throwback jersey will be the Heritage jersey

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

 

This could mean a lot of things.

1) The NHL will allow for two alternates or throwbacks for all teams (most unlikely, but we'll see) 

2) Buying a red sweater now and a new white alternate next year will give you a Home and Away set

3) Calgary will change its road white jersey to a throwback, keep the red primary home, and continue to have one red throwback

4) The white throwback jersey will be the Heritage jersey

 

I'd be okay with teams getting an alternate and throwback jersey as long as they are limited to a few games.  Just don't be like the NBA where some teams have 5 different options and new versions coming out each year or every other year.

 

I wouldn't be surprised if they are going with the white vintage for the Heritage Classic and would certainly end up wearing them for a few more games.  I don't think they should switch to them full time without switching out the home, if the plan is to eventually go back to the throwbacks full time.  Just wait it out if that's the eventual plan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, monkeypower said:

What I'm gathering from those tweets, mainly the second and the last, is that the Flames are going to be wearing the retro whites in the Heritage Classic and then continue to wear them a few times during the season. If I had to guess, they would definitely wear them against the Oilers, a rematch against the Jets and maybe the Leafs and Habs if the schedule works out. 

 

The retro whites would also be great against the black Canucks skate uniforms.  Which will be worn for games next season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, monkeypower said:

As for Blasty the Horse, I don't know where he could be returning. He does say not on a jersey, but I'm hoping he misspoke and meant not on the front of the jersey because I hope it's replacing the flags on the shoulders.

My money would be on a goalie mask. Perhaps the one of them will wear a mask with retro logos of the past on it for the Heritage Classic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.