NHL changes 2019-20

BJ Sands

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bayne said:

Man, I really don't like the Avs jerseys at all. I've always felt that their colour scheme came across as a bit muddy, and on TV that's definitely highlighted. In person I'm sure it's neat, and the colours are unique and I think they're fine. But it just doesn't feel sharp to me, it never has. I think their white jersey is the weakest. At least the dark jersey is attempting to be bold with its use of colour but that road jersey just looks indecisive and bland.

The Avs looked much better back in the 90's/early 2000's when they embraced the mountain theme with the jagged edges, the stylised numbers and the Big Foot shoulder patch. Now they're just a weak version of that. The C shoulder patch looks like it belongs on a different jersey to one that has the primary logo on the chest - they don't work with each other at all. The lack of white in the striping means the jersey has no definition and it just looks like a dark blur. The white feels like it gets 'dirtied' by the blue and maroon. And the adidas collar, while not their fault, isn't used well at all, and just adds to my problems I have with it all. 

Just had to get that off my chest. I actually still like the Avs logo, but it certainly isn't being helped by the jerseys. It just feels like it lacks vision and confidence. Feels like the time that the Avs will bring out a new logo in the next few years and just tighten everything up, I don't know. It's not working for me right now.

I will admit that I don't see many Avalanche games so the uniforms are still pretty new to my eyes. The white sweater looks so bland without that blue stripe. The gray just bleeds right into the white.

Well the current road jersey for the Avs doesn’t have the steel blue aside from the collar, socks, and logo. So it’s very minimal. The 90’s jerseys worked much better, because the mountain pattern actually had blue in the striping, not just silver. The silver bleeds into the white, so it looks like they are essentially a burgundy and black team on the road, while looking like a burgundy and blue team at home. The home even fixed the striping mismatch with the socks. They now both are silver separating the blue and burgundy. But the road is now the problem. Apparently the Avs can only have one good jersey. 

The collars definitely suck too. But that’s the Adidas template for you. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

4 hours ago, JayMac said:

Me too. It was unique to the major North American sports. 

I guess, technically, it still is, being black and silver.  But orange made it more unique.

No such thing. It either is or is not unique.

It's where I sit.

I agree the newer Avs jersey look terrible. Great they went back to the original template so to say, but the singular grey piping looks terrible. Does it bug anyone else that the "A" is the old school "A" and does not go with the numbering/font on the new jerseys? Would love to see them go Navy for Gloves/Pants/Helmet instead of black. Always reminding me of that high school/ beer league team that could just afford sweet jerseys. 

13 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

Well the current road jersey for the Avs doesn’t have the steel blue aside from the collar, socks, and logo. So it’s very minimal. The 90’s jerseys worked much better, because the mountain pattern actually had blue in the striping, not just silver. The silver bleeds into the white, so it looks like they are essentially a burgundy and black team on the road, while looking like a burgundy and blue team at home. The home even fixed the striping mismatch with the socks. They now both are silver separating the blue and burgundy. But the road is now the problem. Apparently the Avs can only have one good jersey. 

The collars definitely suck too. But that’s the Adidas template for you. 

I honestly feel like this isn't an adidas thing or shouldn't be at least. They do the blue jackets double stripe piping perfectly fine. Should be able to put that into the avalanches template. 

4 hours ago, JayMac said:

Me too. It was unique to the major North American sports. 

I guess, technically, it still is, being black and silver.  But orange made it more unique.

Of course a Flyers fan is going to prefer the orange and black NHL logo...

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Honestly, the blue/burgundy balance on the Avs' road jersey doesn't feel all that different from their original white jersey. It wasn't exactly heavy on the blue back then either.

http://www.nhluniforms.com/Avalanche/Images/Avalanche01.png

http://www.nhluniforms.com/Avalanche/Images/Avalanche16.png

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I have no issue with the black numbers on the road, and I actually prefer the black breezers and helmets to any other idea I've seen mocked up.

What bothers me the most about the new uniforms is that the back numbers and captain patches are outlined in silver while the sleeve numbers are outlined in slate/burgundy. If they do nothing else, they really need to switch the sleeve number outlines to silver.

jNTsTyQ.png

4 hours ago, Bayne said:

Man, I really don't like the Avs jerseys at all. I've always felt that their colour scheme came across as a bit muddy, and on TV that's definitely highlighted. In person I'm sure it's neat, and the colours are unique and I think they're fine. But it just doesn't feel sharp to me, it never has. I think their white jersey is the weakest. At least the dark jersey is attempting to be bold with its use of colour but that road jersey just looks indecisive and bland.

The Avs looked much better back in the 90's/early 2000's when they embraced the mountain theme with the jagged edges, the stylised numbers and the Big Foot shoulder patch. Now they're just a pale imitation of that. The C shoulder patch looks like it belongs on a different jersey to one that has the primary logo on the chest - they don't work with each other at all. The lack of white in the striping means the jersey has no definition and it just looks like a dark blur. The white of the road jersey feels like it gets 'dirtied' by the blue and maroon. And the adidas collar, while not their fault, isn't used well at all, and just adds to my problems I have with it all. 

Just had to get that off my chest. I actually still like the Avs logo, but it certainly isn't being helped by the jerseys. It just feels like it lacks vision and confidence. Feels like the time that the Avs will bring out a new logo in the next few years and just tighten everything up, I don't know. It's not working for me right now.

As someone who absolutely loved the Avalanche jerseys when they debuted in 1996, I'm torn on the new look.

On one hand I think the home jersey has never looked better.  Replacing the black and white stripes with the thicker grey is such a monumental improvement, you wonder why the jersey wasn't configured that way to begin with.  Especially since that pattern was already on the socks.

The road jersey, on the other hand, is simply dead on arrival without some blue separating the grey from the white.  The shoulder patch looks really unremarkable on it too.  Never should have gotten rid of the footprint.

Although I love that Colorado wears burgundy, I have always felt that their original uniform style is heavily overrated. Their current home looks great, but their away is just awful. The numbers look awful and the only blue on that uniform is basically the socks and the back part of their awful Adidas collars. I don't know what a good look would be for the Avalanche besides their current look but I would like to see Colorado do something new. I don't know what, but something that isn't the mountain range style. I think they could create a more balanced uniform that doesn't just look great at home.

Archived