NHL changes 2019-20

BJ Sands

7 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

well then they need to pick a shark design and stick with it. having two different shark designs on the same jersey looks stupid

I agree with that.

This isn't terrible, but it's not good either.

sj-jersey.jpg

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I prefer the stick biting shark over that full body shark. I think seeing the tail and all that starts getting a little too detailed.

In my eyes, San Jose could go a long way towards improving their look if they just ditch the orange trim. I don’t like it on the sleeves or in the shark’s eye.

Teal, black, and sparingly used grey/silver. That’s all I need

90758391980.gif

17 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I'm hoping the sharks take their shoulder shark and make it the primary logo. that one is awesome

The Sharks should ditch both of their current shoulder logos, which is dumb in having two different shoulder logos, and replace them with the updated fin or the old school fin.  The full body shark isn't a bad logo itself and is fine for an alternate jersey.

1 hour ago, Morgo said:

If the rumor I mentioned earlier is correct the Canucks are in for a significantly improved uniform.

AZ5453a.jpg

It's going to be either one of these to celebrate the 50th anniversary season.

A small cosmetic change like removing the 'VANCOUVER' would have been done before the start of last season during the switch to Adidas.

71eab35cb6de10dd7b4d09a02e752773.jpg_cf.jpg.2bff4667eae729a4dfb6dfdea44bdd3d.jpg6a5726e4b2c252db481cb69c065e8219.jpg_cf.jpg.0ba2a53ab3b439f1fc3bfc576fb75843.jpg

48 minutes ago, VancouverFan69 said:

A small cosmetic change like removing the 'VANCOUVER' would have been done before the start of last season during the switch to Adidas.

71eab35cb6de10dd7b4d09a02e752773.jpg_cf.jpg.2bff4667eae729a4dfb6dfdea44bdd3d.jpg6a5726e4b2c252db481cb69c065e8219.jpg_cf.jpg.0ba2a53ab3b439f1fc3bfc576fb75843.jpg

The ‘Vancouver’ part is a significant portion of the logo, and removing it wouldn’t be a minor change.

Losing the script massively improves that uniform, but I'm half expecting them to come up with something entirely different. Either that or another tweak like laces or something.

--

Per the OC Register, the Ducks have already confirmed they'll be switching back to the orange thirds. 

The Ducks will wear the new jerseys 15 times next season. The dates are still to be determined. It will be retired after 2018-19 and the Ducks will return to their orange jersey’s with the Mighty Ducks crest for 2019-20, according to Aaron Teats, the team’s vice president and chief marketing officer.

Glad that those are coming back, so they'll still have at least one good uniform in rotation. But I'm also very fond of the current thirds and am going to miss them :(

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

8 hours ago, Chromatic said:

The ‘Vancouver’ part is a significant portion of the logo, and removing it wouldn’t be a minor change.

Disagree. The 'VANCOUVER' wordmark, though cluttering, isn't as significant as the logo because the font is not big. Change only the primary logo and keeping the city wordmark would be significant. 

The Canucks are celebrating a very important milestone anniversary next season - their 50th. Right now, there is too much going on with their brand - the corporately-inspired Orca(with no green), the updated SiR, Johnny Canuck, JC V-Head, the classic SiR. There's quite a bit of Johnny Canuck presence at games, with the pregame video and the Viking Clap. That kind of shows the direction the club is heading in. Even if it means going back to the classic SiR as the primary. JC would then be on the shoulders and as a primary on a 3rd jersey.  It's simply going back to the club's roots. It's common nowadays for longstanding sports franchises to return to classic and highly popular logos and uniforms. The Penguins brought back their colours and uniforms from the Lemieux-Cup years for their 50th. The Leafs brought back an updated version of their classic crest for their centennial year. The Whitecaps have brought back their highly popular kit from their NASL championship year. I can see the Canucks following a very similar path.

12 hours ago, Morgo said:

If the rumor I mentioned earlier is correct the Canucks are in for a significantly improved uniform.

AZ5453a.jpg

How do I know those guys play for Vancouver?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

12 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Is this speculation or have you heard definitely that these are their plans?

1 hour ago, Morgo said:

Is this speculation or have you heard definitely that these are their plans?

It's a strong gut feeling I have based on how Johnny Canuck is being pushed in Canucks marketing and pre-game presentation and how other sports franchises have brought back classic looks for historic milestone anniversaries. 

5 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

It's a strong gut feeling I have based on how Johnny Canuck is being pushed in Canucks marketing and pre-game presentation and how other sports franchises have brought back classic looks for historic milestone anniversaries. 

I'm hoping that the Canucks finally do drop the Orca and go with Johnny Canuck or the stick in rink logo full time, but I wouldn't bet on it.  They've used Johnny Canuck in a lot of these types of promos in the past, so I wouldn't go off that.  In the opening intro video, they are obviously going with a serious, down to business tone, which wouldn't have worked if they had used Fin in it.  

45 minutes ago, M4One said:

I'm hoping that the Canucks finally do drop the Orca and go with Johnny Canuck or the stick in rink logo full time, but I wouldn't bet on it.  They've used Johnny Canuck in a lot of these types of promos in the past, so I wouldn't go off that.  In the opening intro video, they are obviously going with a serious, down to business tone, which wouldn't have worked if they had used Fin in it.  

It just doesn't make sense to have both a human character and an animal as co-identities of the same team, not counting the mascot. 

Look at the Whitecaps, for example. So many fans, including myself, have been wanting a return to their classic NASL design worn when they won the Soccer Bowl '79 championship. It's one of the nicest looks in Vancouver and North American sports history. The Whitecaps used the opportunity of their upcoming 40th anniversary celebrations to bring back the classic double blue hoop, red maple leaf and white shirt/blue shorts combo. The Vancouver sports media and the majority of the fanbase were jubilant. The new jerseys are expected to move like crazy.

The Canucks have a great opportunity to have the exact same success with their brand for their 50th anniversary season by retiring a logo that looks so out of place and having an identity that represents the 3 H's: Heritage. History. Hockey. That's the classic Stick in Rink and Johnny Canuck. One as the primary and the other as the secondary logo/3rd jersey crest.

13 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Disagree. The 'VANCOUVER' wordmark, though cluttering, isn't as significant as the logo because the font is not big. Change only the primary logo and keeping the city wordmark would be significant. 

The wordmark is an entirely separate component of the logo that influences how its applied. Its not like the script in the Maple Leafs or Panthers logos. I agree Johnny Canuck would make a better logo and better brand, but the 'VANCOUVER' script massively downgrades an already poor logo, its not a superfluous detail. Its a big part of whats wrong with the Canucks uniforms today.

20 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

The wordmark is an entirely separate component of the logo that influences how its applied. Its not like the script in the Maple Leafs or Panthers logos. I agree Johnny Canuck would make a better logo and better brand, but the 'VANCOUVER' script massively downgrades an already poor logo, its not a superfluous detail. Its a big part of whats wrong with the Canucks uniforms today.

Here's the thing....why remove just the 'VANCOUVER' when the Canucks didn't have to add it in the first place in '07? 

7 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

To sell more merch during the olympics. 

The Olympics were 9 years ago. Would have made sense to make the change during the NHL's switch to Adidas. The Canucks' spin is that the arched design of the wordmark was a tribute to the WHL Canucks, who had 'CANUCKS' arched over the jersey number.

9 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

The Olympics were 9 years ago. Would have made sense to make the change during the NHL's switch to Adidas. The Canucks' spin is that the arched design of the wordmark was a tribute to the WHL Canucks, who had 'CANUCKS' arched over the jersey number.

I’m well aware of how they spun it, doesn’t mean I believe it.

Archived