BJ Sands

NHL changes 2019-20

18 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Not to Duck-Jack this thread when we (me included) are having such enthralling conversations about the Canucks that aren't totally talking in circles, but I just bought this on-sale Ducks t-shirt (that I really only want for this summer so I don't care too much) and it really hammered home what I've always thought about the Ducks gold being quite inconsistent across different applications.

npom1H3.jpg

It's a Fanatics shirt, a Reebok jersey and a WinCraft sticker and it's three different shades of gold, though the picture and lighting don't do it exact justice as to how different they look in person.

The logo on the shirt looks quite grey depending on the angle and the lighting.

Because one is a screen printed graphic, another is fabric, and the last is a sticker. The screen printed t shirt is going to have variance depending on the lighting because that’s what the metallic does.

18 hours ago, ebod39 said:

That's three different materials and three different executions, there's going to be variance, it's just nature of the business.  

nevermind.

Back to Buffalo for a second . . . after the NHL Scouting Combine, the ice was re-installed on KeyBank Rink at HARBORCENTER.  In the past, a generic building logo has been used as the center ice logo.  There's something a little different this time around.

spacer.png

6 hours ago, dont care said:

Because one is a screen printed graphic, another is fabric, and the last is a sticker. The screen printed t shirt is going to have variance depending on the lighting because that’s what the metallic does.

Again, I understand that. My point is just that the Ducks gold is extremely inconsistent across different applications and uses, where other teams aren't, and I think ebod39 here might have the reasoning for it. (I see MEANS quoted his post and then it looks like he edited his response, so maybe there was some point made by MEANS?)

7 hours ago, ebod39 said:

Metallics are much harder to maintain a consistency across the range of licensed product from apparel to key chains as well as digital.

You can only execute a true metallic in certain applications - so you have to resort to flat for the rest. 

Here's the Ducks NHL mobile site. The logo in the banner and the logo on the shirt underneath are clearly different colours. 

xpKRIAK.png

Then the logo to select the Ducks on the NHL shop desktop site is a third colour.

UraJlai.png

And here's a shirt from the Ducks own online store being a fourth different colour.

swuSx6q.png

I'll be honest, I don't know where I'm going with this and I don't really have a big grandstanding point to make here. Just kind of wanted to bring up something I've noticed for a while now about the Ducks logo.

On 6/11/2019 at 7:37 PM, monkeypower said:

Again, I understand that. My point is just that the Ducks gold is extremely inconsistent across different applications and uses, where other teams aren't, and I think ebod39 here might have the reasoning for it. (I see MEANS quoted his post and then it looks like he edited his response, so maybe there was some point made by MEANS?)

Here's the Ducks NHL mobile site. The logo in the banner and the logo on the shirt underneath are clearly different colours. 

xpKRIAK.png

Then the logo to select the Ducks on the NHL shop desktop site is a third colour.

UraJlai.png

And here's a shirt from the Ducks own online store being a fourth different colour.

swuSx6q.png

I'll be honest, I don't know where I'm going with this and I don't really have a big grandstanding point to make here. Just kind of wanted to bring up something I've noticed for a while now about the Ducks logo.

The way light hits metallic colors causes a shift in hues. The gray shirt looks overexposed. 

The first thing to understand about metallics is that most teams have two different shades in their color palette: one metallic shade and a “flat/non-metallic” alternative when metallic printing isn’t an option. See Notre Dame’s brand guidelines: https://onmessage.nd.edu/university-branding/colors/

For this example, the mockup of the black Ducks shirt above uses the metallic shade of gold, but it looks far darker because it’s only a mock-up graphic, not a real photo. The grey shirt looks like a bad edit of a real photo, which is why it looks washed-out. Lastly, the difference between the mobile logo and desktop logo can be explained by a difference in color calibration between your monitor and your phone, one could simply be a bad graphic that slipped by the developers from an old build, or even that the difference in background color creates an optical illusion telling your brain that these shades of gold are more different than they actually are (or some occurrence of all three):

I’d just reinforce to you that this isn’t a Ducks issue, this is an issue for every team that uses metallic colors, including the Golden Knights or the Dallas Stars or Notre Dame. If you were to do a similar investigation into those teams, you’d find just as many instances of inconsistency because color matching in general is a PITA.

That was one of the reasons given for why the Stars dropped gold in their rebrand. When their current silver gets distorted across applications, at least it's just different shades of gray. Flat gold can turn into beige or mustard, which can lead to some really ugly looking merch.

1 hour ago, GFB said:

The first thing to understand about metallics is that most teams have two different shades in their color palette: one metallic shade and a “flat/non-metallic” alternative when metallic printing isn’t an option. See Notre Dame’s brand guidelines: https://onmessage.nd.edu/university-branding/colors/

For this example, the mockup of the black Ducks shirt above uses the metallic shade of gold, but it looks far darker because it’s only a mock-up graphic, not a real photo. The grey shirt looks like a bad edit of a real photo, which is why it looks washed-out. Lastly, the difference between the mobile logo and desktop logo can be explained by a difference in color calibration between your monitor and your phone, one could simply be a bad graphic that slipped by the developers from an old build, or even that the difference in background color creates an optical illusion telling your brain that these shades of gold are more different than they actually are (or some occurrence of all three):

(tweet snipped for space)

I get all that with the metallics and I'm not really saying anything is "wrong" per se. It's more just a bit of an annoyance that you can buy different Ducks items and get a different coloured logo depending on what it is and who it's produced by.

Also I took the screenshot of the mobile site by switching to the mobile site on desktop, so all those screenshots in my post were taken on desktop. It's that same colour on the mobile-mobile site and the mobile-desktop site.

1 hour ago, GFB said:

I’d just reinforce to you that this isn’t a Ducks issue, this is an issue for every team that uses metallic colors, including the Golden Knights or the Dallas Stars or Notre Dame. If you were to do a similar investigation into those teams, you’d find just as many instances of inconsistency because color matching in general is a PITA.

I don't really care about how those teams look because I'm not buying any of their merchandise. 😛

4 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

I get all that with the metallics and I'm not really saying anything is "wrong" per se. It's more just a bit of an annoyance that you can buy different Ducks items and get a different coloured logo depending on what it is and who it's produced by.

Also I took the screenshot of the mobile site by switching to the mobile site on desktop, so all those screenshots in my post were taken on desktop. It's that same colour on the mobile-mobile site and the mobile-desktop site.

I don't really care about how those teams look because I'm not buying any of their merchandise. 😛

I guess my point is that none of those products actually look like they do in the graphics, so being annoyed by isn't rational to me. They are mockups or poor edits or sloppy digital graphics. It's not like the team itself has much direct control over any of those graphics (I'm assuming the websites are constructed by NHL engineers and not on team-by-team basis). 

Even your photo of the three ACTUAL products, the color consistency is actually fairly good, especially between the Fanatics t-shirt (metallic) and the vinyl sticker (flat). The Reebok jersey patch looks a little dark, but without knowing the material and how it reflects light, a slight variance is normal (the hue and and saturation appear to match the other two items well, it's simply the brightness of the gold that's a little dark).

On the whole, it is frustrating, but it's a problem with every design industry. Being annoyed by this in 2019 is like being annoyed about why we didn't have smart phones in 1999; it would have been wonderful, but it was impossible. 

3 hours ago, WSU151 said:

It’s more likely they were actually too fine to achieve at that scale with the dimensional mold or print technique on that patch.

4 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

It’s more likely they were actually too fine to achieve at that scale with the dimensional mold or print technique on that patch.

Agh crap...ok.

No silver on the circle outline is weird, and that could have been sewn. 

5 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Different type of printing on the hats this year, but they had the silver outline on the hats for the 2018 Draft

spacer.png

Damn, you would think that in the age of simplicity and flat colours that the outlines would be gone by now. It's holding the Sabres look back in my estimation - I really like the logo but the outlines drag it down big time.

I'd argue the lines above and below the buffalo are also completely unneeded and just muddle the logo further. We can see it's charging, we don't need speed lines. 😛

Mine's an unpopular opinion, but I've always preferred the Goathead to the vintage logo precisely due to that reason; it didn't have weird redundant elements.

Sure, you could lose the motion lines as well. I think the goathead logo is cool as well actually, but I'd personally stick with the OG.

5 hours ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

Mine's an unpopular opinion, but I've always preferred the Goathead to the vintage logo precisely due to that reason; it didn't have weird redundant elements.

No, the goathead just had 90s redundant elements :P 

3 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

No, the goathead just had 90s redundant elements :P 

Late 90's nostalgia is in tho, so it'd at least be topical. 😛

10 minutes ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

Late 90's nostalgia is in tho, so it'd at least be topical. 😛

Hey I have no issue with that. 90s stuff has a nostalgic appeal. Thing is...I think it's best used sparingly. The Toronto Raptors' 90s look was designed to appeal to my demographic and I ate it up at the time. I still love it because of that nostalgia. And it's great when they break it out for the occasional alternate. It's never going to work as a full-time look again though :P And I think that goes for a lot of 90s looks that embraced the decade's trends.

On 6/15/2019 at 1:21 PM, andrewharrington said:

https://shop.nhl.com/buffalo-sabres/hats/t-36712731+d-16559069+z-931-636386719

Even if that’s the only reason, it certainly hasn’t stopped them from trying in the past. It would still be a welcome change. If you scroll down that list of hats, the ones with silver outlines are all terrible; that version of the logo simply does not work in that medium. If you sort the items by newest, it does seem like Fanatics is making a change.