NHL changes 2019-20

BJ Sands

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Bayne said:

Seriously though, why is it known as the goathead. It doesn't really look like a goat.

Because if you actually look at a buffalo there is no way it could turn it’s head to look like that, and so it more resembles a goat head.

4 hours ago, Bayne said:

Seriously though, why is it known as the goathead. It doesn't really look like a goat.

It started with fans of the original logo.  It was meant to be derogatory but it stuck and now pretty much everyone calls it that, even people who like the logo. 

On 6/25/2019 at 3:13 PM, Top Shelf said:

Sabres have unveiled additional versions of their 50th anniversary logo featuring past logos and colors:

Pretty sure they'll bring back throwbacks for throwback nights...and it could possibly be a water tester to see what fans want...if they have plans to make new uniforms...

...cause those million little outlines in the current primary need to go.

13 hours ago, Echo said:

It started with fans of the original logo.  It was meant to be derogatory but it stuck and now pretty much everyone calls it that, even people who like the logo. 

It's become an affectionate nickname, yeah. It's not like the Buffaslug, where the name was coined and is generally still used negatively, people have warmed up to the ol' Goathead. It'd be sick if it could come back as a full-time third next season or something, maybe a specialty jersey.

58 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

Pretty sure they'll bring back throwbacks for throwback nights...and it could possibly be a water tester to see what fans want...if they have plans to make new uniforms...

If they are testing the waters for a redesign, there's really only two options I imagine will be extremely popular; the original brighter blue look and the Goathead-era look. Those are the most beloved looks and the ones most often associated with success for this franchise; they made the SCF in the Goathead, after all.

9 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Pretty sure most of the fans want royal blue and yellow. No testing the waters needed. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

i know concepts and photoshops have been done, but i wish the Buffaslug set (minus the logo) was the next iteration of the black/red/silver uniforms.  Not that i wish they were still around, but always liked it better that way.  

The Sabres are using the goathead on an alternate anniversary logo to represent all eras of franchise history. The Buffaslug- perhaps the most infamous redesign in NHL history- got one too. Not a high bar. 

So no, the Sabres aren’t testing the water for a goathead-centric redesign. 

True about the goat head design. They lost the Cup in that jersey and it was a short-lived 90s phase.

I'm now thinking more along the lines of straight up royal blue vs navy. Idk if they're gonna go retro full time.

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

The Sabres are using the goathead on an alternate anniversary logo to represent all eras of franchise history. The Buffaslug- perhaps the most infamous redesign in NHL history- got one too. Not a high bar. 

I just want to see the Winter Classic as the base for a redesign.

cut.jpg

No red/black, no navy, and no silver.

6 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I just want to see the Winter Classic as the base for a redesign.

cut.jpg

No red/black, no navy, and no silver.

Also, they have to update the classic buffalo, by using the one on the right:

0520-buf-compare.png?format=750w

5 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I could see it as a third, maybe.

But yeah, I doubt they're going to go full on Goathead, colors and all, as a primary jersey in the future. More likely is them ditching the navy in favor of their original color scheme; I can't see the original Sabres throwback jersey not selling well, given how popular it is among Buffalo fans and how long people have been demanding that scheme become the main color scheme. Goathead would probably be a third or specialty jersey, if anything.

It'll be neat to see the Goathead back on the ice, though.

19 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

^^^^^ A perfect example of "if isn't broken, don't fix it." That's as Original Six as it gets.

I agree that it definitely should be the basis for their next uniform, which just thinking about it has the potential to be the Sabres best look ever.

However, it really needs several retouches. Along with my example a few posts above, the inconsistent striping needs to be readjusted. I read somewhere that the reason the arms and waist flip-flopped colors was because of some kind of technical reason with the old design dept. Stripes now need consistency and something different for the shoulder logos.

40 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

I agree that it definitely should be the basis for their next uniform, which just thinking about it has the potential to be the Sabres best look ever.

However, it really needs several retouches. Along with my example a few posts above, the inconsistent striping needs to be readjusted. I read somewhere that the reason the arms and waist flip-flopped colors was because of some kind of technical reason with the old design dept. Stripes now need consistency and something different for the shoulder logos.

They have the awesome new Charging buffalo with the word Sabres in it, plus there’s always an update the the B-sword logo, and there is a lot that can be improved upon from the classic look. I feel the blue jersey needs a little more white...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Archived