BJ Sands

NHL changes 2019-20

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, chcarlson23 said:

there is a lot that can be improved upon from the classic look. I feel the blue jersey needs a little more white...

 

I agree that the "classic" look is far from perfect.  They need to match the striping on the road jersey and get rid of the redundant shoulder patch.
 

On 6/27/2019 at 1:34 PM, SFGiants58 said:

I just want to see the Winter Classic as the base for a redesign.

cut.jpg


But they should really just go with this.  The standalone swords on the pants are long overdue and the subtle improvements to crest, including the retro materials, are much appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Morgo said:

 

I agree that the "classic" look is far from perfect.  They need to match the striping on the road jersey and get rid of the redundant shoulder patch.
 


But they should really just go with this.  The standalone swords on the pants are long overdue and the subtle improvements to crest, including the retro materials, are much appreciated.

 

The swords by themselves look like a pair of Fiskars scissors. In general, logos on breezers are pretty useless; it’s just more clutter on what is already one of the most complex uniforms of any sport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

 

The swords by themselves look like a pair of Fiskars scissors. In general, logos on breezers are pretty useless; it’s just more clutter on what is already one of the most complex uniforms of any sport.

 

Put them on the shoulders if they're useless on the breezers (don't really agree), I'm just saying it's about time the Sabres had a logo with just swords.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Morgo said:

 

Put them on the shoulders if they're useless on the breezers (don't really agree), I'm just saying it's about time the Sabres had a logo with just swords.

They're still the Buffalo Sabres at the end of the day, they have to represent the city name somehow. I'd be fine with the B-Sword coming back as the secondary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

They're still the Buffalo Sabres at the end of the day, they have to represent the city name somehow. I'd be fine with the B-Sword coming back as the secondary.

Does their primary logo with the Buffalo above/between two Sabres not do that already?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2019 at 9:34 PM, SFGiants58 said:

 

I just want to see the Winter Classic as the base for a redesign.

 

cut.jpg

 

No red/black, no navy, and no silver.

Count me as supportive of this, I mocked up a home equivalent of this a few months back:

 

2DTIjB5.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

They're still the Buffalo Sabres at the end of the day, they have to represent the city name somehow. I'd be fine with the B-Sword coming back as the secondary.

 

I didn't say "change the primary logo," I just think an alternate mark with just swords would not only be appropriate but would compliment the brand quite well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Morgo said:

 

I'm just saying it's about time the Sabres had a logo with just swords.

 

They did at one point

 

LsymaHc.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Morgo said:

 

I didn't say "change the primary logo," I just think an alternate mark with just swords would not only be appropriate but would compliment the brand quite well.

 

Seems redundant to me.

 

The only exception in my eyes is if they’re incorporated into a mark that’s both aesthetically strong *and* complementary to the main logo, not just a lazy repeat of something in it. Leave those things for media and merch.

 

Bottom line is if you add a logo to a uniform, it needs to accomplish something that the main logo doesn’t already do. Adding clutter does not make a uniform better. It just makes it more cluttered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buffalo have the makings of what could be a 10/10 identity and jersey, but they currently just dont really seem to know how to make it work. All the elements are there though. Their logo is pretty strong, just not with all the superfluous lines everywhere and maybe a slight rework of the thickness of the swords to give the logo a little bit more presence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/28/2019 at 6:47 PM, habsfan1 said:

 

However, it really needs several retouches. Along with my example a few posts above, the inconsistent striping needs to be readjusted. I read somewhere that the reason the arms and waist flip-flopped colors was because of some kind of technical reason with the old design dept. Stripes now need consistency and something different for the shoulder logos.

Sometimes, the exact same striping repeated all over the place feels like being beaten over the head. The original white Sabres jersey still has symmetry, but it's a little more interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah i dont know why there seems to be this idea that consistent striping is a requirement on a well put together jersey. Its a case by case basis. Usually its a safe bet, but quite often it works without consistent striping, it just depends. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Bayne said:

Buffalo have the makings of what could be a 10/10 identity and jersey, but they currently just dont really seem to know how to make it work.

 

Actually, I think this reflects the identity of the team pretty well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Bayne said:

Yeah i dont know why there seems to be this idea that consistent striping is a requirement on a well put together jersey. Its a case by case basis. Usually its a safe bet, but quite often it works without consistent striping, it just depends. 

 

Agreed.

 

 

28 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

Sometimes, the exact same striping repeated all over the place feels like being beaten over the head. The original white Sabres jersey still has symmetry, but it's a little more interesting.

 

The Sabres could pull off switching up the striping. But I'm just not a fan of bringing back their original full time. The mismatch doesn't work. It they make it work, it'll be something that contains a few differences from the originals.

 

The Preds switched stripes up well in their 2011 rebrand. The Bruins socks switch to match litterally everthing is one that I'll agree it feels beaten over our heads.

 

 

 

33 minutes ago, Bayne said:

Buffalo have the makings of what could be a 10/10 identity and jersey

 

Buffalo gave us The Turdburger, The Buffaslug, and chest numbers.

 

But they also gave us these two beauties:

 

35.gif

 

bufa-ennis.jpg

 

While they've certainly flunked hard several times in past redesign processes, they've also did quite well sometimes. They knocked it out the park with their former fauxback heritage jersey, which I can't understand why they retired it so quickly, which could be another fail on their resumé.

 

But still, I'd say their batting average is about .500, when it comes to redesigning the Sabres look. It's a record that's better than some might think. They've done some really bad, but also some good and some really good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Echo said:

 

LsymaHc.jpg

Pure yuck.  1999 Stanley Cup Finals be damned, this whole era of red and black, along with Elsie the Milk Cow, looked awful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, mafiaman said:

Pure yuck.  1999 Stanley Cup Finals be damned, this whole era of red and black, along with Elsie the Milk Cow, looked awful.

 

I disagree.  It might have been an out of the box design and it might have not have been right for the team historically but there were definitely things to like.  The bison head embroidered was a work of art.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, mafiaman said:

Pure yuck.  1999 Stanley Cup Finals be damned, this whole era of red and black, along with Elsie the Milk Cow, looked awful.

 

*Dislike Post*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, mafiaman said:

Pure yuck.  1999 Stanley Cup Finals be damned, this whole era of red and black, along with Elsie the Milk Cow, looked awful.

Agreed. The Sabres' red, black, white, and grey rebrand was such a drastic departure from what that very loyal fanbase had come to embrace that it was never going to stick around short of a Stanley Cup Championship (also, the Stars still win that series if Hull's Cup winner is waved off, just saying).

 

And while it was a creative design? It still had all of the hallmarks that date it as a 90s design. Which isn't a bad thing, it just doesn't make it something you can use now and not have it seem dated. The goathead logo in particular looks downright cluttered compared to the more simplistic direction the league's logos as a whole have been trending in.

 

I think it would make a fine alternate, but it's never coming back full-time. Nor should it, in my opinion. The Sabres are a rightfully blue and gold team and the red, black, white, and grey era was an aberration brought on by a team desperate to jump on a fad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

The Sabres are a rightfully blue and gold team and the red, black, white, and grey era was an aberration brought on by a team desperate to jump on a fad.

 

There was also a corporate tie-in there.  The Knox Brothers were in the process of selling the team to John Rigas at the time they rebranded.  Rigas owned Adelphia Cable, and Adelphia's colors were red and white. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.