BJ Sands

NHL changes 2019-20

1 hour ago, Danny said:

TSN.ca with another amazing Photoshop job.

96j1jLf.png

Tyler Pavelski. 

On 3/18/2019 at 2:39 PM, ldconcepts said:

Heritage+Classic+Concept.png

both of the jerseys looks great!!!

On 7/1/2019 at 2:31 PM, Echo said:

There was also a corporate tie-in there.  The Knox Brothers were in the process of selling the team to John Rigas at the time they rebranded.  Rigas owned Adelphia Cable, and Adelphia's colors were red and white. 

The rebranding was done under the ownership and guidance of the Knox bros., so the fact that Rigas/Adelphia was Black,Red & White was coincidence and not intentional.

Had the Knox's not sold, the rebrand would have happened exactly as it did.   This is directly from the former NHL exec who worked with the Sabres and NHL creative dept. on the project.  

Found this on a random Twitter search - have no idea if it's legit or not. The low placement of the NHL shield seems odd to me and leads me to believe it's not real...plus I'll assume that some sort of hanger effect will be used on Boston's third...but just wanted to confirm here:

3 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Found this on a random Twitter search - have no idea if it's legit or not. The low placement of the NHL shield seems odd to me and leads me to believe it's not real...plus I'll assume that some sort of hanger effect will be used on Boston's third...but just wanted to confirm here:

They used that type of collar for the winter classics in the last 2 years.. i guess it could be legit

Red and black was popular in the NHL in the 90s. 

The Devils swapped green out for black. 

The Senators revived their red, black, and white scheme from the early 1900s. 

The Whalers went to red and black when they relocated to North Carolina to become the Hurricanes. 

And the Sabres dropped blue and gold to be a red and black team. 

It was trend chasing, which makes it worse. It wasn’t a logical outgrowth of the established brand, it was the team hoping on a bandwagon. Unsurprisingly the fans of the team demanded a return to the classic colours once the novelty of the red and black look wore off.  

6 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Red and black was popular in the NHL in the 90s. 
The Devils swapped green out for black. 
The Senators revived their red, black, and white scheme from the early 1900s. 

Red and Black wasn't that popular in the 90's.  The Devils went that route because the green was hard to keep consistent and the Senators only used it to pay homage to their previous team. Neither of those decisions had anything to do with following a trend.

The Whalers went to red and black when they relocated to North Carolina to become the Hurricanes. 

After the Sabres had already rebranded.  This was bandwagon jumping.  They duplicated the Sabres new palette colour for colour.

And the Sabres dropped blue and gold to be a red and black team.  It was trend chasing, which makes it worse.  It wasn’t a logical outgrowth of the established brand, it was the team hoping on a bandwagon.

A red, black and silver team.  This combination didn't exist in the NHL so I'd hardly call it bandwagon jumping.

Unsurprisingly the fans of the team demanded a return to the classic colours once the novelty of the red and black look wore off.

The demand couldn't have been that pressing.  The red and black jerseys lasted 10 years.

I get it, people are accustomed to seeing the Sabres and Blue and gold but that doesn't mean the red and black era should be talked about in the same way as the Fisherman and Buffaslug.  They did something unique with their rebrand and there was no immediate demand for them to go back to blue and gold.  It wasn't until around 2004-2005 that nostalgia kicked in.

1 hour ago, Morgo said:

*snipped for space*

Regardless, red and black was in vogue. It was a trend, regardless of circumstance. 

1 hour ago, Morgo said:

I get it, people are accustomed to seeing the Sabres and Blue and gold but that doesn't mean the red and black era should be talked about in the same way as the Fisherman and Buffaslug.

Who’s talking about it like the Fisherman or BuffaSlug? All I said was that it shouldn’t be the team’s primary identity. 

1 hour ago, Morgo said:

The demand couldn't have been that pressing.  The red and black jerseys lasted 10 years.

The Chargers have only now gone back to powder blue primaries after decades of fans wanting it. The Leafs wore the Ballard Leaf at least fifteen years after fans started wanting the classic Leaf back. The Padres are only now going back to brown after at least a decade of people demanding they drop navy. 

Teams stay with looks fans would prefer they’d drop longer than said fans would like all the time.

1 hour ago, Morgo said:

It wasn't until around 2004-2005 that nostalgia kicked in.

It would have to be earlier considering the lead-time it takes to create a new uniform in the NHL. You can’t just change on a dime. 

Also? So much of this “the goathead was the greatest!” sentiment is fuelled by 90s nostalgia. Which, in case you were unaware, is just starting to become profitable. 

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

It looks legit and it also looks like there’s a navy jersey with orange collar behind it, which is probably the new Oilers 3rd.

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

Who’s talking about it like the Fisherman or BuffaSlug? All I said was that it shouldn’t be the team’s primary identity. 

The logo would be fine, IMO, but I do agree that the main identity shouldn't be red/black/silver.

As nice as it looks to me, that scheme is more-or-less done to death in the NHL already, and I'd much prefer them go back to their original color scheme with either a modernized version of their original logo that streamlines it (like ridding of the swooshes around the buffalo since they kinda do nothing but potentially clutter an otherwise nice logo) or a modernized take on the Goathead over going full-on back to a design that is, admittedly, very 90's in design in many of the aged ways (massive swooshy details, sharp stripes). At best, make it a event night uniform or a third.

This isn't the Kachina Yotes, Star-Cut Stars or Mighty Ducks where the look is both a unique spin and still has a very classy and elegant appeal (I'll fight anybody who says that the Kachina Yotes jersey isn't one of the most brilliantly creative and still very elegant spins on classic-style striping on a hockey jersey of all time). The Goathead-era jerseys are too 90's radical design aesthetic to work as more then a throwback, even if I do think the logo itself could still work as a primary.

Also, the Sabres changed their look when they moved into their new building. The sponsor of the building? Marine Midland Bank, which had been bought by HSBC and was using their red/black color scheme.

Buuuut, the arena itself was decked out in a blue rainbow, purple, and some earthy red-brown, so the idea that they were orchestrating a grand master plan is probably just daydreaming.

On 7/3/2019 at 11:02 AM, Ice_Cap said:

Regardless, red and black was in vogue. It was a trend, regardless of circumstance. 

The Chargers have only now gone back to powder blue primaries after decades of fans wanting it. The Leafs wore the Ballard Leaf at least fifteen years after fans started wanting the classic Leaf back. 

Teams stay with looks fans would prefer they’d drop longer than said fans would like all the time.

So true. The Aquilini-owned Canucks are a true example of a franchise that doesn't listen to the overall fan base. The Orca is the most unpopular logo among the majority of all Canucks fans. When the Canucks had the Skate for 19 seasons, including the Flying V years, I hardly heard Vancouver fans complain about the Skate. 

On 7/1/2019 at 12:22 AM, Ice_Cap said:

Agreed. The Sabres' red, black, white, and grey rebrand was such a drastic departure from what that very loyal fanbase had come to embrace that it was never going to stick around short of a Stanley Cup Championship (also, the Stars still win that series if Hull's Cup winner is waved off, just saying).

And while it was a creative design? It still had all of the hallmarks that date it as a 90s design. Which isn't a bad thing, it just doesn't make it something you can use now and not have it seem dated. The goathead logo in particular looks downright cluttered compared to the more simplistic direction the league's logos as a whole have been trending in.

I think it would make a fine alternate, but it's never coming back full-time. Nor should it, in my opinion. The Sabres are a rightfully blue and gold team and the red, black, white, and grey era was an aberration brought on by a team desperate to jump on a fad.

On 7/3/2019 at 12:02 PM, Ice_Cap said:

To piggyback on this, red & black is still in vogue. In the NHL alone right now it's used by Arizona, Calgary (they do add gold but not enough of it, the black overwhelms it), Carolina, Chicago, New Jersey & Ottawa - 6 out of 31 teams. It's a colour scheme as saturated right now as the classically-overused red & blue, which also scores a 6/31. (Colorado, Columbus, Florida, Montreal, the Rangers and Washington.)

Personally I would argue that red & black is actually worse at the moment, because at least red & blue get used in different ways: a couple teams have red as the dominant colour, a couple of others use blue; a couple of those teams go with a darker blue and then Colorado darkens both colours so it at least seems more unique. But right now every team that uses red & black use it in the exact same way - red as the primary with black as the secondary or trim. I'm not a fan of the Sabres' "goat-head" identity at all, but at least they had the foresight to mix it up and use black as the dominant colour for once (although Ottawa was with them until 1999).

On a sidenote this is why I was so against Seattle using red & black when it appeared that was their plan, and thankfully they've indicated they're changing course on that - we didn't need a 7th NHL team using red & black, which for my money is the least interesting colour scheme in sports at the moment.

On 7/3/2019 at 12:02 PM, Ice_Cap said:

It would have to be earlier considering the lead-time it takes to create a new uniform in the NHL. You can’t just change on a dime.

Perhaps, I just remember the first rumblings of a possible return to blue and gold occurring during the 2005 lockout.  The process takes two years so that would definitely fit the timeline for the 2006/07 season when the Buffaslug was released.

Also? So much of this “the goathead was the greatest!” sentiment is fuelled by 90s nostalgia. Which, in case you were unaware, is just starting to become profitable.

I'd like to see more teams look to their 90's looks as inspiration for alternate jerseys (quelle surprise) as this years alternate class leaves a lot to be desired.  The Arizona Coyotes throwback is easily the cream of the current crop. 

On 7/3/2019 at 1:05 PM, WSU151 said:

I'm not sure how i feel about this.  It does look fairly legit, but the striping just doesn't seem to really fit the Bruins to me.  I don't get why they are steering clear of a gold jersey.  That affords them much more opportunity and diversifies the looks more.  

Definitely looks like the Oilers jersey behind it too.  I know the rumors but this is what i would want for them as the home/road honestly.  It could start as a third and get promoted.

spacer.png

On 7/3/2019 at 10:05 AM, WSU151 said:

Given that it’s a Fanatics jersey, I’m leaning towards it being merchandise and not on-ice. 

49 minutes ago, Kevin W. said:

Given that it’s a Fanatics jersey, I’m leaning towards it being merchandise and not on-ice. 

But Fanatics makes jerseys too.. I haven't seen any Fanatics rando jerseys like you'd see at walmart.  That has some specific details for it to be a generic.  The B, the Winter Classic style collar.  I don't know.  

2 hours ago, B-mer said:

I'm not sure how i feel about this.  It does look fairly legit, but the striping just doesn't seem to really fit the Bruins to me.  I don't get why they are steering clear of a gold jersey.  That affords them much more opportunity and diversifies the looks more.  

Definitely looks like the Oilers jersey behind it too.  I know the rumors but this is what i would want for them as the home/road honestly.  It could start as a third and get promoted.

spacer.png

Unpopular opinion but I'd really like to see the Oilers go back to navy and copper.