NHL changes 2019-20

BJ Sands

15 minutes ago, Mingjai said:

The linguist in me smirks every time I hear the "Let's go, Wi-uhld" at a Wild game when the crowd could just as easily use the second-most ubiquitous in North American sports--the 3-syllable cheer "Let's go __!" (or "U-S-A!").

I'll be honest with you: the Minnesota Wild weren't even one of the teams I was thinking about when I originally posted. Hearing a one-syllable word such as Wild rendered as "Wi-uhld" is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. Particularly when, as you point out, fans could just as easily chant, "Let's go, Wild!" 

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Buffalo 50th and Ducks 3rd leak via Icethetics

EAL99t1W4AYrLiV?format=jpg&name=small

The Buffalo gold is.. lame? gross? Idk. I wouldn't buy it.

And the Ducks jersey is just the old orange alt with the Mighty logo, which was and is still very popular among the fanbase. Smart move, but again, already owned by many. Is this the push for it to become full-time? Hard to say, but I like it. Even made the collar somewhat tolerable. (Can't tell if the "Anaheim" is still on the collar or not.)

The gold on the logo is a little too much and they over did it with the stripes, too.  I don't mind them adding some gold to the logo, but it should only been an outline like what the Flyers and Kings did.  The good news, no chest numbers.

57 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

I'll be honest with you: the Minnesota Wild weren't even one of the teams I was thinking about when I originally posted. Hearing a one-syllable word such as Wild rendered as "Wi-uhld" is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. Particularly when, as you point out, fans could just as easily chant, "Let's go, Wild!" 

"Let's Go Du-ucks" is in the same vein. We can do "Let's Go Ducks!" Sometimes they even do "Let's Go Ducks!" Even the team and the scoreboard now encourages "Let's Go Ducks!" and yet... "Let's Go Du-ucks" survives. It just sounds so lazy.

(It's also quite annoying when they resort to in for Kings games, because you get the interplay of "Go Kings Go" filling in the dead space between "Let's Go Du-ucks" refrains. Fight fire with fire. 1!2!3! vs 1!2!3!. Not 1-2-3ee-4, 1!2!3!, 1-2-3ee-4, 1!2!3!)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

On 7/23/2019 at 2:49 PM, Still MIGHTY said:

Buffalo 50th and Ducks 3rd leak via Icethetics

EAL99t1W4AYrLiV?format=jpg&name=small

The Buffalo gold is.. lame? gross? Idk. I wouldn't buy it.

And the Ducks jersey is just the old orange alt with the Mighty logo, which was and is still very popular among the fanbase. Smart move, but again, already owned by many. Is this the push for it to become full-time? Hard to say, but I like it. Even made the collar somewhat tolerable. (Can't tell if the "Anaheim" is still on the collar or not.)

What? No royal blue?? 

giphy.gif

This looks awful. I love metallic gold but it's not right for Sabres. Exactly, the navy is not helping. They should brought the royal blue back. the fans loved the royal blue.

Their 2018 Winter Classic jersey is so beautiful and would make a great road jersey if they bring the royal blue back. spacer.png

And Ducks, I very glad they are bringing the orange back. Honestly, this orange should become primary home and make a white version for road.

Yes,I missed the Mighty Ducks logo. it's much better than their current logo.

FyVfBOy.png

Sc4Eo24.png

The Sabres jersey would be fine if they'd kept the buffalo and the sword-blades white.  Making them gold is just overkill and the metallic material makes the logo look extremely muddled.  At least in that photograph anyways.

I go back on forth on the Ducks identity. For the most part the black/orange/gold works real well for a California team, especially one from Orange County. But, I love the way the Mighty Ducks logo can pop on a black uniform like in this concept. 

spacer.png

Say they took the throwback from this past season, minus the yokes, and update to current colors, it could be a nice blend of eras and update at the same time. I’d want orange more dominant than gold.  

1 hour ago, Still MIGHTY said:

"Let's Go Du-ucks" is in the same vein. We can do "Let's Go Ducks!" Sometimes they even do "Let's Go Ducks!" Even the team and the scoreboard now encourages "Let's Go Ducks!" and yet... "Let's Go Du-ucks" survives. It just sounds so lazy.

(It's also quite annoying when they resort to in for Kings games, because you get the interplay of "Go Kings Go" filling in the dead space between "Let's Go Du-ucks" refrains. Fight fire with fire. 1!2!3! vs 1!2!3!. Not 1-2-3ee-4, 1!2!3!, 1-2-3ee-4, 1!2!3!)

Exactly! Nobody around Pittsburgh chants Lets Go Penguins or Lets Go Peng-uins, it's simply Lets Go Pens! Nobody Chants Lets Go Pirates or Lets go Pi-rates, it's simply Lets go Bucs. Bucco Baseball or rather Succo Baseball  LOL. Even the Iconic Here We Go Steelers Here We Go, Steelers is said in one syllable 

1 minute ago, Fitzy0220 said:

Even the Iconic Here We Go Steelers Here We Go, Steelers is said in one syllable 

I've never heard Steelers pronounced as one syllable. I don't think it's possible, really.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

24 minutes ago, Corvus said:

Why make the Buffalo gold? I just can't fathom the thought process there. 

Isn’t metallic gold a common motif for pretty much every 50th anniversary?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

18 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Isn’t metallic gold a common motif for pretty much every 50th anniversary?

Of course, but changing the primary colour of the logo seems odd. This isn't the best quality photo but it looks pretty ugly. Just swapping the regular yellow in the logo elements for mettalic gold would seem a little more ... sophisticated? I don't know. 

1 hour ago, Corvus said:

Of course, but changing the primary colour of the logo seems odd.

It's genius, actually. It looks gaudy but they can justify it as the "50th anniversary alternate" and then come up with a newer design to sell all over again later.

56 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

It's genius, actually. It looks gaudy but they can justify it as the "50th anniversary alternate" and then come up with a newer design to sell all over again later.

Pretty much the way the Ducks' 25th alternate was done.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

7 hours ago, the admiral said:

The balloons sold me: jade, eggplant, orange is the winning play.

They should just do it and embrace it. Its strong.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

23 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Which reminds me, I'd be all for replacing the "webfoot D" with this design (paired with the Mighty logo, of course):

5854_anaheim_ducks-event-2014.png

Which also brings me to what I hope the Angels do once Arte sells the franchise (as an alternate):

5clD1zo.png

Ha! I totally forgot about that Ducks OC logo that I worked on....

The Ducks third is pretty much what we expected, but I'm happy to see it return!

On 7/23/2019 at 9:49 PM, Still MIGHTY said:

Is this the push for it to become full-time?

Don't get my hopes up :(

On 7/24/2019 at 4:31 PM, andrewharrington said:

Orange looks great with both of those colors. I’d love to see eggplant and jade as co-dark colors with orange and white as the contrasts. 

The 25th Anniversary thirds felt like a breath of fresh air and it was so nice to see them in the classic colours again. I always thought purple and orange clashed a bit too much, but If done right, eggplant, jade and orange could look really, really good.

As for that Sabres third; I know this is only a one-off Anniversary thing but wow, this team loves trolling its own fans.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Archived