NHL changes 2019-20

BJ Sands

7 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

By the time a base uniform style hits the field/ice/court, the next one is typically already in the early stages of design. Basically, petitioning would be a waste, as the uniform wheel can only turn so fast.

I hope you are hinting that a collar fix is coming. I think the collars need to be fixed because the Adizero collars are terrible.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, the admiral said:

How did we outsmart ourselves out of putting a collar on a hockey sweater? The Edge ones looked stupid and these look worse. How is it this hard?

Wait, the Edge collar(s) were stupid too??!!   So what does a good collar look like?

Honestly, the edge collars didn’t bother me at all. For the sake of getting the NHL shield in that location they worked fairly well without being too crazy (thinking just standard v-neck and laceups). Want to make them a little thicker?  Sure ok. The Adidas ones are too thick, and over complicate that initial concept of the space for the shield. Plus separating the collar front/back and not allowing your normal layered designs is dumb. 

And the new CCM ones for the AHL are just as bad. 

On 7/27/2019 at 11:41 PM, Chewbacca said:

I hope you are hinting that a collar fix is coming. I think the collars need to be fixed because the Adizero collars are terrible.

Not hinting, just explaining that a reactionary aesthetic fix isn’t realistic. Once these things are designed, they’re developed for mass production and integrated into an elaborate schedule, often involving coordination between multiple suppliers and locations. Short of a complete performance emergency like the NBA jerseys bursting open or the drippy soccer fabric from a few years ago, the earliest you’ll ever see a change is the next redesign cycle.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

39 minutes ago, Ark said:

Teams are 100% to blame for bad collars. They could all use this collar style and it would look great:

949861488.jpg.0.jpg

usa_today_10802219.0.jpg

Adidas is 100% to blame for the bad collar design.

Some teams like the Canucks and Leafs could go that route since they only use one colour in the collar.  But, teams like the Blackhawks and Canadiens insist on replicating their previous collar designs.  Unfortunately, that means a really ugly look no matter how they go about it.

1 hour ago, Ark said:

So the teams are to blame. 

If the template was trash to begin with, then that's on Adidas.  I can't blame teams for wanting to keep their traditional designs or a look they feel works for them and doing the best they can within the confines of the template.  The Blackhawks clearly realize there was a problem with the collar, yet they still decided to keep using two colours.  Same with other teams.

We don't blame the Flyers for their crappy original Edge jersey.  They did their best with the template they were presented with to try and replicate their traditional look and it ended up looking like garbage, just like a lot of other teams.  Had they gone with a completely different look, such as their 50th anniversary jersey full time, then they would probably end of up getting roasted by their fans.

4 hours ago, Ark said:

So the teams are to blame. 

The template looks bad and teams aren't to blame because the supplier can't match their classic designs. Posts like this show just how backwards things of gotten. We're at a point where the supplier is refusing to conform to the designs of its clients and you have people here defending the supplier. 

In a sane world? The Montreal Canadiens would go "you're going to replicate our collar because we're paying you to make our uniforms."

Instead we've reached a point where the tail is wagging the dog, and people with weird shoe company loyalties are cheering it all on. 

8 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

The template looks bad and teams aren't to blame because the supplier can't match their classic designs. Posts like this show just how backwards things of gotten. We're at a point where the supplier is refusing to conform to the designs of its clients and you have people here defending the supplier. 

In a sane world? The Montreal Canadiens would go "you're going to replicate our collar because we're paying you to make our uniforms."

Instead we've reached a point where the tail is wagging the dog, and people with weird shoe company loyalties are cheering it all on. 

It still is done that way, to a degree. It’s funny you used Montréal as an example; the reason they’re the only team currently wearing a two-eyelet lace up instead of the standard version is because they insisted on it. Same with Dallas’ “cowboy cut” shoulder yoke.

The challenge is always balancing form, function, efficiency, and versatility that works for as many teams as possible. Even given the challenging base design, I still contend there exists a good solution to coloring up every team’s collar. For example, I think the contrasting center tab creates the problem for a team like Chicago (the dress shirt look). A white center tab would have looked a lot better in my opinion (I’m not a fan at all of half-colored collars).

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I never fully understood the adidas collar with laces that don't do anything because they were never designed to do anything. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 7/28/2019 at 7:31 PM, B-mer said:

Honestly, the edge collars didn’t bother me at all. For the sake of getting the NHL shield in that location they worked fairly well without being too crazy (thinking just standard v-neck and laceups). Want to make them a little thicker?  Sure ok. The Adidas ones are too thick, and over complicate that initial concept of the space for the shield. Plus separating the collar front/back and not allowing your normal layered designs is dumb. 

And the new CCM ones for the AHL are just as bad. 

I'd argue that in the beginning the Edge collars weren't great (Anaheim, Colorado, Nashville's come to mind), but over time (granted they had the benefit of ten years) to come up with new and better collars. Hopefully Adidas comes to that sense sooner rather than later. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

9 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I'm not defending Adidas at all. All but one of the Adidas collar templates is bad (some worse than others), which is terrible for jerseys in a professional sports league.

But teams should either use the template that looks good or demand that Adidas introduce better collar options. I believe that is what a few teams did to Reebok, and they were able to use traditional uniforms. Other teams (like Columbus and Minnesota) used actual quality Edge templates, while most teams (including traditional teams like the Flyers, Blues, and Islanders) just used awful Edge templates and looked terrible. 

At no point should a team go on the ice with one of the ugly Adidas collars. Teams have the final say on this, so it is right to blame them. 

Archived