NHL changes 2019-20

BJ Sands

5 hours ago, Morgo said:

Minnesota Wild logo on a black background, doesn't look half bad.

I think their green is too dark to work with black. At the very least they'd need to thicken the wheat outline around the logo for it to not get lost in the background.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, the admiral said:

Congartulaitons! You've used as an example the relocation that has had the most continuity and history connecting its hometowns

Please enlighten me (not sarcam)! Honestly, I'm interested in knowing more. Like I've said, I'm not going to be swayed that cities/fans don't have a claim on history, but if there are cases to be made for moving franchises retaining history, I'll hear it out.

22 minutes ago, ldconcepts said:

The Sabres are going back to royal blue one season from now. That is all.

But they said nothing about their plans to reveal a new logo depicting a lightsabre-wielding bison, throw a bunch of diagonal and vertical stripes all over the place, and swap royal blue for gold as their primary colour.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

7 hours ago, Kg54mvp said:

Heard rumors that they wanted a black jersey but it didn't look good on the TV test.

They do have alot of black hats that look pretty good though.

Heard that too.  I think it could work if they took the time to properly distribute the colours on a well thought out striping configuration with an appropriate amount of contrast.

2 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

I think their green is too dark to work with black. At the very least they'd need to thicken the wheat outline around the logo for it to not get lost in the background.

I think there's enough wheat, gold and red for it to stand out.

Finally. It took them long enough to ditch the navy look; and looks like the additional outlines in the logo are also out the door, which automatically improves it tenfold. Between this and the Canucks finally dropping the stupid "VANCOUVER" script from their jerseys, next season looks to be a big step on the road to finally fixing the errors the two made in branding completely.

On 8/14/2019 at 5:43 PM, -Akronite- said:

I understand the argument that a franchise can legally own a team's history, name, colors, etc. but that all feels cynical and pointless to me.

A billionaire owner doesn't lay claim to the big, emotional moments. They don't own the thousands of fans that come together, united in the team's goal, to cheer on their favorite players. They don't own the joy of victory and they certainly don't own the despair of defeat. The fans, and the city they call home, are the reason any of this matters. Professional sports isn't a big business without the fans. It isn't a cultural phenomenon without the fans. And to take them out of the equation may be technically accurate but I feel like it misses the whole point.

I love sports for a lot of reasons, but the thing that makes me emotionally invested is that I have a team. They represent my city or my state or my school, and in a way, me. It's stupid and actually quite trivial except for the meaning we choose to give it. 

This is of course an attempt at explaining while I'll ALWAYS feel that a team and their accomplishments will ALWAYS truly belong to the city. Nobody in Atlanta gives a :censored: that the St. Louis Hawks won a title 70 years ago. Nobody in OKC brags about those old Sonics teams. Indianapolis fans don't brag about Johnny Unitas. What's the point of honoring continuity if that continuity is meaningless? 

I know the arguments that it's confusing to compare stats between different franchises in the same city, and it can be handled better in media analysis, but I'm not switching sides on this. I'd much rather compare a Nick Chubb to Jim Brown than completely disconnect Cleveland Browns history from... Cleveland Browns history. And it'd be stupid to measure the best Ravens against the greatest players in Browns history because how does that make sense? Ah, whatever, you get my point.

EDIT: As for throwbacks, I think it should be determined by geography. For instance, many teams wear Negro League throwbacks even though they aren't the same franchise. So why not let the Texans wear an Oilers throwback? Works for me. One special case would be the Dodgers, mostly due to the legacy of Jackie Robinson. Personally, I feel that by leaving Brooklyn the team abandoned his legacy in a way, but it's hard to detach his iconic image from the word "Dodgers."

I know it's a rare occurrence but what about Mr. Pittsburgh Penguin himself Mario Lemieux? Player, Owner / Player and then just Owner!
Lemieux the Player is responsible for a huge portion of the Franchises Biggest / Emotional moments
Lemieux the Owner also responsible for the Franchises Biggest / Emotional moments

32 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

giphy.gif

As a Pens fan, bout damn time!
- Pens went Retro (long time fans have wanted the '88-'92 uniforms Back ever since ass hat howard baldwin changed the logo / uniform for the '92/'93 season)
- Isles went Retro.
- Oilers went Retro then went and F'd it up again ...smh.
- Calgary needs to go Retro (seeing their '80s Red Retro in the Playoffs POP on my HDTV screen was AWESOME).
- It'll never happen but the Caps need to go Retro full time.
- The Kings need to Embrace Purple (Forum Blue) and Gold, enough of the Oakland / LA / Oakland Black and Silver
- My wife is originally from NJ and wishes they would go back to Red / Green full time

26 minutes ago, Fitzy0220 said:

As a Pens fan, bout damn time!
- Pens went Retro (long time fans have wanted the '88-'92 uniforms Back ever since ass hat howard baldwin changed the logo / uniform for the '92/'93 season)
- Isles went Retro.
- Oilers went Retro then went and F'd it up again ...smh.
- Calgary needs to go Retro (seeing their '80s Red Retro in the Playoffs POP on my HDTV screen was AWESOME).
- It'll never happen but the Caps need to go Retro full time.
- The Kings need to Embrace Purple (Forum Blue) and Gold, enough of the Oakland / LA / Oakland Black and Silver
- My wife is originally from NJ and wishes they would go back to Red / Green full time

Not every team needs to go retro, especially teams like L.A. and New Jersey that have won multiple championships in their current look.

2 minutes ago, Morgo said:

Not every team needs to go retro, especially teams like L.A. and New Jersey that have won multiple championships in their current (more or less) look.

LA should absolutely go back to having purple as a primary color, because the current look is horribly boring. It's black/gray/white, i.e; the most bland color scheme in all of sports. Not to mention they only ever went to those colors to copy the Raiders.

At least purple/grey/black was unique.

1 minute ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

LA should absolutely go back to having purple as a primary color, because the current look is horribly boring. It's black/gray/white, i.e; the most bland color scheme in all of sports.

You're not wrong.  But it doesn't make any sense for them to change after reaching the mountain top twice in the last seven years.  If they got new uniforms, there would instantly be a large portion of the fan-base demanding a return to the cup-winning look.

13 minutes ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

LA should absolutely go back to having purple as a primary color, because the current look is horribly boring. It's black/gray/white, i.e; the most bland color scheme in all of sports. Not to mention they only ever went to those colors to copy the Raiders.

EXACTLY!  Huge reason why I wish the NHL would go back to Home Team wear white.  '91/'92 Season they split, half the season was Home whites and the other half was Home darks! What about Alternating year by year? Even Years = Home Darks, Odd Years = Home Whites! I miss the days of going to Pens games at the Civic Arena and seeing different colors

Pens Home white vs Flyers Away ORANGE
Pens Home white vs Kings Away PURPLE
Pens Home white vs North Stars Away GREEN
Pens Home white vs Flames away RED (God I would LOVE to see Calgary come to Pittsburgh wearing those wonderfully awesome 80s Retro Red)
Pens Home white vs Rangers Away BLUE
Pens Home white vs Sharks Away TEAL
Pens Home white vs Bruins Away BLACK

Now it's like I'm watching a Chess Match at Home Games.
Pens Home Black vs Whomever Away White

1 hour ago, Fitzy0220 said:

The Kings never won anything in purple and gold. Meanwhile black and silver is associated with the greatest player of all time, three Western Conference Championships, and two Stanley Cup Championships. The Kings are a black and silver team, dude.

51 minutes ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

It was too dark, IMO. Black and silver pops more.

Besides, what's worth remembering from the black, silver, and purple years? Rob Blake wasting his career away? Annual first round playoff loses? The Jamie Storr/Stephane Fiset/Felix Potvin/Roman Cechmanek goalie carousel?

The colour scheme was good in concept-mixing the original look with the Gretzky black and silver- but the execution was lacking. The shades picked were too muddy (this was intentional, it was the late 90s/early 2000s. Every team was darkening their colours) with the grey/silver not being utilized properly to highlight the black and purple. And the LOS ANGELES wordmark on the hem stripes was unnecessary. Of course the team addressed that by losing the stripes and keeping the wordmark so 🤷‍♂️

I'll give you that they looked unique, and conceptually they were pretty interesting. They just feel super dated though. Clearly stuck in the early 2000s.

The eventual transition back to the black and silver, coinciding with two Cups, has to have solidified that look as THE Kings look.

2 hours ago, Cosmic said:

giphy.gif

They went to red, black, and white in 1996 and ran with that until fans started demanding the old look back. So come 2006 they roll out...the Buffaslug. In 2010 they try again with navy versions of the old uniforms, with added silver piping everywhere.

Finally, in 2020, they're going back to what they should have just done in 2006. This is why I find the "don't look back" philosophy of design limiting. We could have saved a lot of time thirteen years ago if they would have just done this back then.

13 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

The Kings never won anything in purple and gold. Meanwhile black and silver is associated with the greatest player of all time, three Western Conference Championships, and two Stanley Cup Championships. The Kings are a black and silver team, dude.

Aye but Gretzky could have made Purple / Gold Cool!  When I think Kings, I think Royalty and when I think Royalty, I think Purple / Gold

6 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

I'm giving a shout out to this artist for whipping up the perfect concept, updated Bison included:

I would ask for

- Better collars.

- A darker shade of blue. The twitter post is probably accurate to what they actually wore, but even their throwback in the 06-07 season appears to be darker.

33571.jpg

2JuATpq.jpg

Just now, Ice_Cap said:

It was too dark, IMO. Black and silver pops more.

Besides, what's worth remembering from the black, silver, and purple years? Rob Blake wasting his career away? Annual first round playoff loses? The Jamie Storr/Stephane Fiset/Felix Potvin/Roman Cechmanek goalie carousel?

The colour scheme was good in concept-mixing the original look with the Gretzky black and silver- but the execution was lacking. The shades picked were too muddy (this was intentional, it was the late 90s/early 2000s. Every team was darkening their colours) with the grey/silver not being utilized properly to highlight the black and purple. And the LOS ANGELES wordmark on the hem stripes was unnecessary. Of course the team addressed that by losing the stripes and keeping the wordmark so 🤷‍♂️

I'll give you that they looked unique, and conceptually they were pretty interesting. They just feel super dated though. Clearly stuck in the early 2000s.

The eventual transition back to the black and silver, coinciding with two Cups, has to have solidified that look as THE Kings look.

The shades I agree may have been a bit overly-dark; but the concept was very solid and it's kinda sad that the team doesn't really seem to pay it that much attention anymore; you see more love for the (in my opinion) gaudy Lakers era then the era where I'd argue the identity was essentially perfected minus some minor quibbles.

And to be fair, one can also associate the black-purple-silver look with the Stunner at Staples, as well.

Archived