NHL changes 2019-20

BJ Sands

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad my Jets using red again. 

A true beauty. It's a shame the Coyotes still owns the original Jets looks.

Shouldn't they make new uniforms inspired their Heritage uniforms? I hated their current roads. 

Honsetly, red is bit too weird for a colour for a team named "Blues". Although I loved the trumpet logo. 

FyVfBOy.png

Sc4Eo24.png

1 hour ago, Eastport76 said:

It's a shame the Coyotes still owns the original Jets looks.

They don't, actually. The Coyotes have the old Jets' records but the NHL transferred the vintage Jets logos and uniforms to the current Jets to use whenever they wish. So they could go throwback full time if they wanted to.

6 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

The Blues' jersey is a terrible design, regardless of the fact that the red does have significance to the city itself, and it's emblematic of a bad time in the team's history. Gretzky had it and lost it while wearing those jerseys.

I like it, but merits of the design aside? 90s nostalgia is in. So the Blues are cashing that cheque when they're at the height of relevancy as the defending Cup champs.

6 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

The Jets' jersey is an outdated design that screams 1970s logo-wise and it hasn't aged well.

So it's perfect for a game that utilizes throwbacks and a retro hockey aesthetic then 😛

33 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

So it's perfect for a game that utilizes throwbacks and a retro hockey aesthetic then 😛

Fair point. It’s still an awful design. 

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

7 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

The Blues' jersey is a terrible design, regardless of the fact that the red does have significance to the city itself, and it's emblematic of a bad time in the team's history. Gretzky had it and lost it while wearing those jerseys.

1kshP8m.png
oh yeah, a real bad time in Blues history - 3 winning seasons, 4 playoff berths & 2 series wins in 4 years wearing that set. Dunno how you lived through such terrible hockey! :P 

In all seriousness, if this is your definition of a "bad time in the team's history" then the 1998-2007 unis, the ones they're more-or-less still wearing today, should've been burned in the parking lot the day after this happened: 

Or alternatively, after finishing dead last in 2005-06 and snapping the 25-season playoff streak. 

(Also I totally disagree about it being a badly designed uniform; the stripes & numbers being diagonal is a bit much I admit, but the musical staff stripes on their own & the trumpet shoulder patch are really nice touches, and I think royal blue/gold/red is just a gorgeous colour scheme that they used excellently.)

9 hours ago, Ark said:

The Blues need to permanently include red in their color scheme. This is the perfect amount of red

hKmUWIq.jpg

If they're the old Colorado Rockies, yes. However, adding red to the Blues' look was as much a mistake as adding black to the Flames' and North Stars' schemes. The best Blues look was their original electric powder blue and yellow-gold with the yokes on their whites and on their early 80's away blues. 

5 hours ago, Ark said:

You prefer the amount of red they used in the mid 90s uniforms? Maybe. I think somewhere in the middle would be best though. That blue/yellow/red really looks good. 

Honestly? I don't think the Blues should use red in their full time identity at all. simple blue and gold or double blue and gold are the way to go. 

That being said I prefer the 90s throwbacks with the excessive red as a throwback. If you're going to have a throwback that has red? Go with the one that really leaned into it. Sure it's a total product of its time and not something the team should be wearing full-time, but it works as a throwback alternate. 

1 hour ago, M4One said:

Even though it's quite minor, I don't like how rounded the old Blues logo looked compared to the current one.  I don't think the Blues need to add red, at least not to their primaries.  For an alternate, sure.

Yeah thats my biggest gripe. The logo looks terrible. Looks like a kid friendly version of the note. Not a fan of the red either... i get it; nostalgia. But its not as good as their current look and definitely way behind their all blue retro jersey which is hands down their best.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

20 hours ago, _RH_ said:

The dual blue jerseys are just way too... drab?  Especially the homes... then they changed the yellow numbers to white?  No thanks.

I think the home jerseys would be infinitely improved by just changing the shoulder yoke to be yellow instead of dark blue, honestly. The dark blue only really works as an accent color, not as the main secondary.

11 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

If they're the old Colorado Rockies, yes. However, adding red to the Blues' look was as much a mistake as adding black to the Flames' and North Stars' schemes. The best Blues look was their original electric powder blue and yellow-gold with the yokes on their whites and on their early 80's away blues. 

This, I disagree with strongly; the North Stars adding black to their jerseys was the best that team ever looked. Kelly green, white and yellow would probably be just as obnoxious on today's cameras as the Oilers' oranges. Adding black tamed the jersey and added some well-needed definition to it.

The Flames also look fine with black as long as you eliminate the stupid side striping that they keep for some god-forsaken reason and keep it as a secondary color. Again, it adds some extra definition to the jersey that looks great on the ice, which is important.

33 minutes ago, Ark said:

I think the actual uniforms have too much red, but there are many pics where a lot of the red is hidden and they look really nice. Here are some examples

d5ZOg7d.jpg

130-t526830-676.jpg

Wayne-Gretzky-St-Louis-Blues-featured.pn

My reaction when those jerseys were first introduced:  “THOSE COLLARS THOUGH!”

20+ years later reaction:  “THOSE COLLARS THOUGH!”

32 minutes ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

This, I disagree with strongly; the North Stars adding black to their jerseys was the best that team ever looked. Kelly green, white and yellow would probably be just as obnoxious on today's cameras as the Oilers' oranges. Adding black tamed the jersey and added some well-needed definition to it.

I would say that black RUINED the North Stars’ uniforms. It took a simple look and made it far too busy, as they double outlined everything and added those disgusting black breezers with the Stars.

Kelly/yellow/white isn’t that obnoxious at all. They just needed a slightly darker Kelly, like what the Stars use now. The gold should also have been the standard athletic gold instead of the bright yellow. Similarly, gold and white should never touch in a design like the North Stars’ one. I know that it kills the drop shadow, but the drop shadow was ugly too.

@TheLAKnight did a concept like this, which is infinitely better than anything the real North Stars wore:

fRXuMUm.png

The Flames also look fine with black as long as you eliminate the stupid side striping that they keep for some god-forsaken reason and keep it as a secondary color. Again, it adds some extra definition to the jersey that looks great on the ice, which is important.

Again, it makes it look too busy and misses the point of the name “Flames.” I never thought any of the Flames’ black-including designs looked good and I’m glad the Edge takeover made the retros an appealing option. The Chiefs’ uniforms look fine with black confined to the helmet stickers. Why don’t we extend the same acceptance to the Flames classic design?

1 minute ago, SFGiants58 said:

I would say that black RUINED the North Stars’ uniforms. It took a simple look and made it far too busy, as they double outlined everything and added those disgusting black breezers with the Stars.

Kelly/yellow/white isn’t that obnoxious at all. They just needed a slightly darker Kelly, like what the Stars use now. The gold should also have been the standard athletic gold instead of the bright yellow. Similarly, gold and white should never touch in a design like the North Stars’ one. I know that it kills the drop shadow, but the drop shadow was ugly too.

I agree with that, but again it's why I said the concept was good. Adding some extra contrast in the look is a good idea on paper, but their execution was where things fell apart with it.

I've been tinkering with that color scheme to try and build a North Stars set that incorporates black without also adding all of the stupid ideas that came along with them. And to be fair, the North Stars didn't commit the most heinous crime of that era of uniforms...they didn't have white skates. 😛

Again, it makes it look too busy and misses the point of the name “Flames.” I never thought any of the Flames’ black-including designs looked good and I’m glad the Edge takeover made the retros an appealing option. The Chiefs’ uniforms look fine with black confined to the helmet stickers. Why don’t we extend the same acceptance to the Flames classic design?

I love the retros a lot, but I don't think adding black by itself is a terrible idea. It can look great, but the modern set completely botches the look. I think the 2000's set looked perfect; it has just the right amount of black in comparison to the red, not enough to become too overpowering, but enough to add some extra punch. Adding too much black is what ruined the jersey, not the idea of black itself, in my opinion.

1 hour ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

I think the home jerseys would be infinitely improved by just changing the shoulder yoke to be yellow instead of dark blue, honestly. The dark blue only really works as an accent color, not as the main secondary.

it was just the right amount of Black to boot, it wasn't Over Kill like some teams! LOVED the North Stars '88-'91 uniforms

50 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

@TheLAKnight did a concept like this, which is infinitely better than anything the real North Stars wore:

fRXuMUm.png

Great Concept1 but I LOVED the north Stars '88-'91 uniforms! especially the use of Black Thread to give the numbers a cool 3D effect
NorthStars17.png

4 minutes ago, Fitzy0220 said:

Great Concept1 but I LOVED the north Stars '88-'91 uniforms! especially the use of Black Thread to give the numbers a cool 3D effect
NorthStars17.png

tumblr_p0icwebBUi1wzw0ebo1_1280.gif

That’s the single-ugliest NHL uniform set, IMHO. It’s legitimately repulsive with how messy it was.

The North Stars, much like their hockey business, could never develop a truly good look.

Archived