NHL changes 2019-20

BJ Sands

Just now, Kevin W. said:

Wait, what? Five jerseys? They have home, road, third and retro. What did I miss?

The Kings are playing the Avalanche in an outdoor game at the Air Force Academy in Feb 2020.  There's no way either team isn't going to have a special jersey for it.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Kevin W. said:

Wait, what? Five jerseys? They have home, road, third and retro. What did I miss?

They'll have a Stadium Series jersey this year, for the game in February. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 minutes ago, M4One said:

The Kings are playing the Avalanche in an outdoor game at the Air Force Academy in Feb 2020.  There's no way either team isn't going to have a special jersey for it.

2 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

They'll have a Stadium Series jersey this year, for the game in February. 

Oh, right. I totally forgot about the Stadium Series. 

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I like black on the Flames' red uniforms more than I do on the whites where it feels awkwardly shoved in. I used to think the retro look was a bit garish, but it's grown on me. At this point they may as well give the fans what they want and go with that to set themselves apart from the other red and black teams.

Never cared for that Blues uniform, but the Addydass version is a marginal improvement over the original.

10 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

I’m so disappointed that of all of the teams doing 1990s nostalgia, Anaheim isn’t one of them.

They kind of did it last season with the anniversary alt and they're kind of doing it again with the resurrected orange alt.

I like the orange third just fine but I would've liked the anniversary alt to stick around a bit longer. It was nice to see the Ducks looking like the Ducks again.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

6 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

They kind of did it last season with the anniversary alt and they're kind of doing it again with the resurrected orange alt.

I like the orange third just fine but I would've liked the anniversary alt to stick around a bit longer. It was nice to see the Ducks looking like the Ducks again.

I think it's pretty much the same thing amongst Ducks fans. Everyone loved the anniversary jersey and no one wanted them to go away

I like black on the Flames' red uniforms more than I do on the whites where it feels awkwardly shoved in. I used to think the retro look was a bit garish, but it's grown on me. At this point they may as well give the fans what they want and go with that to set themselves apart from the other red and black teams.

Never cared for that Blues uniform, but the Addydass version is a marginal improvement over the original.

I thought the Ducks anniversary jersey was flipping phenomenal.  At first it irked me that it was black, but it grew on me quickly and I got it as a hybrid of all their eras.  I was hoping when they announced it wasn't going to be the third this season was because they were making a matching road and bumping it up to primary home uniform.

8 minutes ago, jdavidev said:

I thought the Ducks anniversary jersey was flipping phenomenal.  At first it irked me that it was black, but it grew on me quickly and I got it as a hybrid of all their eras.  I was hoping when they announced it wasn't going to be the third this season was because they were making a matching road and bumping it up to primary home uniform.

I don't hate the orange...but creating a home/road version of last year's alt and then introducing an eggplant version as an alt would be phenomenal. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I mean, the orange alternate looks good as a modern take on the look but it's just not the same.

This jersey was phenomenal:

png

There's no good reason that it can't be worn a couple of times per year. Throwback nights work well for the Devils. They worked well for the Coyotes.

In an ideal world, they'd start by doing what the Coyotes did and wear them a few times per year, then, like the Penguins did, shift them to full-time alternates and then a couple of seasons later, move back to them as the primaries full time.

And before I hear any arguments about how they won a Cup in black so they should stick with it, there are countless examples of teams making changes (some good, some bad) after winning Cups.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I think the eggplant jersey is beautiful... However, the original white jersey had too little of the eggplant, and too much jade. Looking back at some old photos, the color balance between the two jerseys was not great...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

After getting a first look at the new "Canes" road white in full on the ice, first thing I thought is that now they look like the Red Wings more than ever...

EEs2MysXsAEVCKo?format=jpg&name=large

At least their old ones helped tell them apart, despite also being predominantly red.

I've been thinking maybe the CANES jersey is a sign of things to come. The NHL/Adidas have shown us that the white jerseys don't sell well. They had a big, splashy reveal for the Adidas home jerseys. For the road whites? Eh, you know... whenever you get around to it. So I wouldn't be surprised to see more teams take this approach to try something different on the white jersey to try and move them. Or maybe it's an isolated incident, like the other times teams haven't watched their home and away, and I'm just yelling at clouds. You decide.

31 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

They don't look anymore like the Red Wings than they ever have (which was still always a bit too close). The biggest issue from that picture is that helmet decal. Boy does that look tacky.

Pretty sure they went with all red and black helmet decals to match the warning stripe and the two little flags in the Canes "C". Both those parts are red oulined in black, black dots inside the red, no white in between. It may be tacky, but it's somewhat consistent with the jersey, in a way.

18 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

Pretty sure they went with all red and black helmet decals to match the warning stripe and the two little flags in the Canes "C". Both those parts are red oulined in black, black dots inside the red, no white in between. It may be tacky, but it's somewhat consistent with the jersey, in a way.

It's not the colours I have an issue with.

1 hour ago, habsfan1 said:

After getting a first look at the new "Canes" road white in full on the ice, first thing I thought is that now they look like the Red Wings more than ever...

EEs2MysXsAEVCKo?format=jpg&name=large

At least their old ones helped tell them apart, despite also being predominantly red.

Eh, I don't really see "Red Wings" in that look so much. It's more "classic hockey aesthetic" then it is "Wings-lite". The striping on the hem and arms is different between them; Detroit's whites have all red arms with white stripes, not completely white arms and red stripes with a black outline like the Canes jersey.

To be honest, I really love them now that we've seen the full kit on the ice. Sure, the 3D helmet decal's a bit weird, but it's overall a pretty minor element of an exceptionally solid uniform. The jersey these replaced was honestly pretty weak in itself; it had a weirdly-proportioned shoulder yoke that was longer in the back then the front, the striping was really generic and it overall just looked pretty bland. This set is a marked improvement for me, especially on the ice; they look so good in play.

This jersey also reintroduces the flag striping on the hem, which hasn't been on a Canes jersey since 2013, so that's automatically a point in favor of it.

33 minutes ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

This jersey also reintroduces the flag striping on the hem, which hasn't been on a Canes jersey since 2013, so that's automatically a point in favor of it.

Uhhh...

cut.png

"CANES" is still bad. "Carolina" would have been better and they could have still used the warning flag C.

IbjBaeE.png

Archived