BJ Sands

NHL changes 2019-20

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, the admiral said:

The yellow seats were unique and a welcome holdover from the Boston Garden, which Delaware North had been trying to evoke by calling the renamed FleetCenter one corporate form of "Garden" or another. Terrible move, I hate how every arena is basically the same except for the Saddledome, the Nassau Coliseum, and the Barclays Center, and the last one is bad.

 

Agreed, they looked better in the traditional yellow.  Scotiabank Arena still maintains a pretty close version of the old Maple Leaf Gardens colour scheme. 

 

air-canada-centre-3.jpg

splash.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The other nice thing about the yellow seats was that they emphasized that the Garden has always been the Bruins' building, which the Celtics happen to use. Nice touch.

 

Speaking of new buildings called "Garden," I'm surprised Scotiabank and/or MLSE didn't make it "Scotiabank Gardens" to differentiate it from the ACC more and catch a little goodwill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ead2dck34nn31.jpg

 

Only real change being that "ANAHEIM" moved from the left side of the collar to a hanger effect, which is probably an improvement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, the admiral said:

The other nice thing about the yellow seats was that they emphasized that the Garden has always been the Bruins' building, which the Celtics happen to use. Nice touch.

 

Speaking of new buildings called "Garden," I'm surprised Scotiabank and/or MLSE didn't make it "Scotiabank Gardens" to differentiate it from the ACC more and catch a little goodwill.

 

Scotiabank considered it and even did some polling.  They thought it would be polarizing had they called it Gardens.  

 

Scroll all the way to near the bottom of the article.

 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thestar.com/amp/sports/leafs/2018/07/01/scotiabank-arena-now-officially-the-home-of-maple-leafs-and-raptors.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, monkeypower said:

ead2dck34nn31.jpg

 

Only real change being that "ANAHEIM" moved from the left side of the collar to a hanger effect, which is probably an improvement.

 

Very nice. Good to see the adidas collar didn’t ruin the look.

 

For those calling for full time eggplant/jade, it’s just not going to happen. Yes, the fans do love the Mighty look, definitely, but we’ve really embraced the Orange in Orange County. (Plus I think the owners prefer the current color scheme, which is ultimately the thing that matters the most in all this talk.) Making this 3rd full time would be the best we could hope for, and I think that is possible.

 

(As mentioned in a previous discussion, if I had my way, you’d find a way to make eggplant/jade/orange the color scheme, and it does work. But again, I don’t see any major changes like that with current ownership.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moving Anaheim to the inside is a big improvement.

 

That white Addydass logo, though. For some reason it makes me wonder if they'll use white numbers instead of black, which would also be a big upgrade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

For those calling for full time eggplant/jade, it’s just not going to happen. Yes, the fans do love the Mighty look, definitely, but we’ve really embraced the Orange in Orange County. (Plus I think the owners prefer the current color scheme, which is ultimately the thing that matters the most in all this talk.) Making this 3rd full time would be the best we could hope for, and I think that is possible.

 

(As mentioned in a previous discussion, if I had my way, you’d find a way to make eggplant/jade/orange the color scheme, and it does work. But again, I don’t see any major changes like that with current ownership.)

Given that's what the team used during the 25th celebration party at Disneyland, I would expect that any potential rebranding they do eventually go down would use that combination of colors (eggplant-jade-orange) rather then going full-on Mighty Ducks (eggplant-jade-silver), and probably uses the same version of the logo seen on the 25th jersey with the orange sticks. That way orange is still on the main jerseys and the primary branding, you can still trot out orange thirds to tie towards Orange Country more heavily and you also please the people wanting a return to the eggplant and jade while still keeping that nod to the team's location.

 

It won't happen within the next 2-3 years, but I can definitely see them slowly leaning into that direction over time. The Samuellis are probably gunshy on using Mighty Ducks colors/imagery less for the idea that they're just not interested in the idea of going to that look, and more to avoid the perception of having screwed up the entire rebrand just around a decade after actually rebranding.

 

They don't want to look like the Senators in that department and end up looking for another rebrand so quickly after already rebranding; that makes it look like they messed up pretty badly rather then just a desire for a change in look. Plus the Cup win being in the gold/black/orange doesn't hurt, either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, M4One said:

 

Scotiabank considered it and even did some polling.  They thought it would be polarizing had they called it Gardens.  

 

Scroll all the way to near the bottom of the article.

 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thestar.com/amp/sports/leafs/2018/07/01/scotiabank-arena-now-officially-the-home-of-maple-leafs-and-raptors.html

 

I'm not sure who they surveyed as part of their research, because I can't think of anyone I know in the city who would've been upset with them calling it Scotiabank Gardens.

 

I have a feeling they worried that if they went with Gardens people would simply leave off the sponsor name when referring to the arena. It's the reason why the Blue Jays play in the Rogers Centre instead of the Rogers Skydome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

 

Very nice. Good to see the adidas collar didn’t ruin the look.

 

For those calling for full time eggplant/jade, it’s just not going to happen. Yes, the fans do love the Mighty look, definitely, but we’ve really embraced the Orange in Orange County. (Plus I think the owners prefer the current color scheme, which is ultimately the thing that matters the most in all this talk.) Making this 3rd full time would be the best we could hope for, and I think that is possible.

 

(As mentioned in a previous discussion, if I had my way, you’d find a way to make eggplant/jade/orange the color scheme, and it does work. But again, I don’t see any major changes like that with current ownership.)

 

 

21 hours ago, monkeypower said:

ead2dck34nn31.jpg

 

Only real change being that "ANAHEIM" moved from the left side of the collar to a hanger effect, which is probably an improvement.

 

 

Would love to see an away version of this used and those made the new sweaters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leak: Anaheim Ducks New, Orange Third Jersey

September 21, 2019 - 16:01 PM

Orange ya glad? After a two-year hiatus, the Anaheim Ducks are bringing back their orange third jerseys. Very early this morning (or late last night, depending where you live), an eBay sale offering the yet-to-be-released third jersey was discovered and […]

Read More...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Courtesy of Icethetics, Did the Kings quietly change their logo this summer?

 

They added the gold outline from the 50th anniversary logo, but changed it to silver.

 

5d883c0ef0c5f34127957214_0922-lak-logos.jpg

 

From the Icethetics article, it's basically like what the St. Louis Cardinals did with using the new logo on social media and graphics, but hey also put it at centre ice.

 

5d883f2b8de89c22cba5e03a_0922-lak19-ice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to see a joke progression of LA logos with more and more strokes added until the shield is like 12 strokes thick in 2040 lol

 

For the record i like the one extra stroke they added.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still not a fan of the logo itself (would still much prefer the crown used in it as the main logo), but the extra outline is a good addition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's weird to see a registered trademark symbol on the ice; Kings, Ducks, Red Wings are the only teams that have them this year (source: thefaceoff.net)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2019 at 5:23 PM, mudbug33 said:

 

 

 

 

Would love to see an away version of this used and those made the new sweaters

Agree 100%.  I have a lot of nostalgia for the original Mighty Ducks uniforms, but as @Still MIGHTY said, ownership hasn't seemed fond of them. Given that I'd be satisfied with a home-away based on this jersey.  They can revive that excellent and vastly superior old logo and finally emphasize the orange color that they're so keen on pushing in advertising and social media (i.e., "Paint it Orange," etc.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

It's weird to see a registered trademark symbol on the ice; Kings, Ducks, Red Wings are the only teams that have them this year (source: thefaceoff.net)

 

 

 

I hate that... we know its registered lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, monkeypower said:

5d883c0ef0c5f34127957214_0922-lak-logos.jpg

 

I can't believe they've been using that garbage for over 10 years now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, charger77 said:

 

I hate that... we know its registered lol

 

The weird thing is Staples and Staples Center are TM'd, but no trademark symbol(s) on the ice. And the Kings often have mid-ice sponsor logos with no trademark symbols. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.