NHL changes 2019-20

BJ Sands

2 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I feel like they could rename to something bear-related and they'd barely (ha!) have to change their brand. The logo is already a bear. 

Sure, the Bruins exist but whatever. If we can have both the Blue Jackets and Blues? Two bear-themed names would be workable. 

I feel like even ‘Wilderness’ is better, and that’s still terrible. Wild is just so abstract. Is it a noun? An adjective? An adverb? All of the above? It’s just such a silly, ephemeral name. At least with names like ‘Heat’ or ‘Magic’ you get what they’re going for. ‘Minnesota Wild’ makes as much sense as calling your team the ‘Minnesota Abrupt’. As it’s been said before they sure are lucky they got their logo right.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

As long as the teams does some tree planting initiative that plants a large amount of trees (to reverse the damage caused by their namesake), you should be fine. 

Good idea...Use Johnny and purchase a carbon-offset. 🙂👍

I don't think there needs to be such an emphasis on teams being named after something tied into their city.

For example, the Flames who *checks notes* ...kept the same name when they moved from Atlanta and were named after *checks notes* ...the fact Atlanta was burned down in a war Atlanta lost.

IbjBaeE.png

25 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

If it's more than another click n fill recolor, it could be a great move if properly tweaked.

Make it feel like it belongs in this current era.

The concept of the logo itself is simultaneously so abstract and specific I really wonder what they would do to "update" it.

It's funny how the Canuck's identity gets so much flak for not depicting their namesake while the Millionaires identity gets a free pass for doing the same.  They don't even acknowledge their name with a letter but somehow escape the consternation the Canucks get.

1 hour ago, Morgo said:

It's funny how the Canuck's identity gets so much flak for not depicting their namesake while the Millionaires identity gets a free pass for doing the same.  They don't even acknowledge their name with a letter but somehow escape the consternation the Canucks get.

Nobody gives the Canucks flak for not representing their namesake. They get flak for misrepresenting their namesake, which is why that same criticism is not levied at the Skate, or Rink, or Johnny Canuck, or while we're at it the Habs logo, Bruins logo, etc.

1 hour ago, Chromatic said:

Nobody gives the Canucks flak for not representing their namesake. They get flak for misrepresenting their namesake, which is why that same criticism is not levied at the Skate, or Rink, or Johnny Canuck, or while we're at it the Habs logo, Bruins logo, etc.

Except the current identity doesn't misrepresent the team at all.  'Canuck' is a slang term for Canadian which limits the options either a letter or a literal depiction of a Canadian person.  You certainly could go with a lumberjack but not all lumberjack's are Canadian and I doubt they were what was in mind when the term 'Canuck' was coined. 

The team went with a letter that incorporates Orca imagery in a regionally evocative art style.  They represent their namesake in the exact same way the much praised Canadien's logo does.

Just now, Morgo said:

Except the current identity doesn't misrepresent the team at all.  'Canuck' is a slang term for Canadian which limits the options either a letter or a literal depiction of a Canadian person.  You certainly could go with a lumberjack but not all lumberjack's are Canadian and I doubt they were what was in mind when the term 'Canuck' was coined. 

The team went with a letter that incorporates Orca imagery in a regionally evocative art style.  They represent their namesake in the exact same way the much praised Canadien's logo does.

Yes yes which is exactly why the New Orleans Saints should have a gator coiled into an 'S' or the Patriots a lobster forming a 'P'. 

There is nothing 'Canuck' about an orca. It misrepresents the name into something entirely different. It's the end of the story. We've had this discussion many, many times.  You can make a perfectly valid case that its a perfectly fine logo, but not that it doesn't misrepresent the nickname. You asked where the criticism comes from and why it isn't levied against the millionaires logo, thats why. You can argue semantics and etymologies all day long but at the end of the day if I watch a Baltimore Ravens game and they've got a snarling cat head on their helmet it looks dumb. If I buy a Seattle Seahawks hat and there's a bearded man with a crown on it I'm going to be confused.

3 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

Yes yes which is exactly why the New Orleans Saints should have a gator coiled into an 'S' or the Patriots a lobster forming a 'P'. 

There is nothing 'Canuck' about an orca. It misrepresents the name into something entirely different. It's the end of the story. We've had this discussion many, many times.  You can make a perfectly valid case that its a perfectly fine logo, but not that it doesn't misrepresent the nickname. You asked where the criticism comes from and why it isn't levied against the millionaires logo, thats why. You can argue semantics and etymologies all day long but at the end of the day if I watch a Baltimore Ravens game and they've got a snarling cat head on their helmet it looks dumb. If I buy a Seattle Seahawks hat and there's a bearded man with a crown on it I'm going to be confused.

Do saints have to do with gators? What do patriots have to do with lobster rolls? Canucks though being represented by a Canadian animal in an art style that’s regionally specific makes sense though. 

7 minutes ago, dont care said:

Do saints have to do with gators? What do patriots have to do with lobster rolls? Canucks though being represented by a Canadian animal in an art style that’s regionally specific makes sense though. 

Gators are a common symbol of Louisiana and the Bayou. A perfect representation of the Saints. Lobsters are synonymous with New England, what better way to show that you're the Patriots?

What do Cetaceans with a distribution across the world except for the Baltic Sea have to do with Canucks?

16 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

If the logo was just an Orca whale by itself you'd have a point.  The name is represented by the 'C,' the Orca is there to represent the region.

1 minute ago, Morgo said:

If the logo was just an Orca whale by itself you'd have a point.  The name is represented by the 'C,' the Orca is there to represent the region.

Okay. I never said the 'C' doesn't represent the nickname. I said having the Orca misrepresents it. 

6 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

Gators are a common symbol of Louisiana and the Bayou. A perfect representation of the Saints. Lobsters are synonymous with New England, what better way to show that you're the Patriots?

What do Cetaceans with a distribution across the world except for the Baltic Sea have to do with Canucks?

Now you are just being ridiculous. They aren’t names the Louisianites  or the new englanders like the canucks. And orcas are commonly found in and around the waters or Vancouver. They are very much a Canadian animal. 

3 minutes ago, dont care said:

An orca is not a Canadian animal. Orcas are found worldwide and there are many orcas that swim along the American coast. A Canuck is not an animal nor does it have anything to do with First Nations. The Orca C wasn't even designed by an Aboriginal. 

As for First Nations art, when the Grizzlies were in Vancouver, they had a beautiful and genuine First Nations secondary logo consisting of a grizzly bear with a basketball and basket. Haida First Nations artists worked with the Grizzlies in establishing their brand. At the end of the day, the logo centred around the Grizzlies' name. 

4 minutes ago, dont care said:

Now you are just being ridiculous. They aren’t names the Louisianites  or the new englanders like the canucks. And orcas are commonly found in and around the waters or Vancouver. They are very much a Canadian animal. 

No. Orcas have a comparatively larger population in the Pacific Northwest than a lot of other parts of the world. Still has absolutely nothing to do with a 'Canuck', even if they're found in Canadian waters. It makes as much sense as the Patriots having a lobster for a logo because they're a New England animal and they're proud to be from there. The connection is tenuous and forced. That's the point.

39 minutes ago, Morgo said:

How the Canucks got their name...

At the :57 mark....

22 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

Okay. I never said the 'C' doesn't represent the nickname. I said having the Orca misrepresents it. 

The Orca isn't there to represent a Canuck.  No more than the Hub on Boston's logo is there to represent a Bruin.

Archived