BJ Sands

NHL changes 2019-20

1 minute ago, spartacat_12 said:

I mean it would make more sense if the team was called the Vancouver Islanders or British Columbians. New York City has a lot more pigeons than bald eagles, but a bald eagle logo would fit the Yankees name better than a pigeon logo. 

But they don’t use a bald eagle, they use a stylized NY the same way the Canucks use a stylized C

1 minute ago, dont care said:

But a Canuck isn’t a lumberjack, a Canuck is a Canadian. And since there is no way to represent all Canadians with a single depiction it makes most sense to use a “C” for Canuck and using something local in a art style used commonly by the region to represent Vancouver.

Johnny Canuck is a Canadian lumberjack. A lumberjack is featured in the City of Vancouver's Coat of Arms. Blue and green are Vancouver colours. There you go. Want a more specifically designed local logo? Use a V with 'CANUCKS' on the inside using blue and green. No animals. Just simple and basic.

On a different topic, I really hope the Flames abandon black after this season. Should they make the playoffs they should do what the Penguins did by declaring their retro thirds the "home" sweater. They probably won't go all the way, but it'll be a sign that black is on its way out. 

There. Now you can stop this battle of The Great Canuck Crest War. At least nobody mentioned "BFBS Culture Disease" here!

2 minutes ago, dont care said:

But they don’t use a bald eagle, they use a stylized NY the same way the Canucks use a stylized C

The Yankees and Mets both use a stylized NY without using an animal.

4 minutes ago, dont care said:

I think you are missing my point. The Yankees have always opted to avoid too much patriotic Yankee imagery (aside from the rarely seen Uncle Sam hat), and have gone with a simple NY monogram, much like what the Montreal Canadians have always done, and much like the Canucks original look.

If the Yankees ever decided to come up with an animal logo the way Vancouver did in the '90s, a bald eagle would be more fitting with their nickname, despite it being less symbolic of the city itself. 

29 minutes ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Johnny Canuck is a Canadian lumberjack. A lumberjack is featured in the City of Vancouver's Coat of Arms. Blue and green are Vancouver colours. There you go. Want a more specifically designed local logo? Use a V with 'CANUCKS' on the inside using blue and green. No animals. Just simple and basic.

lol

..."and Vancouver's Coat of Arms is proudly shown on the internet...just search for it like you would search for a Canuck or an Orca!!1!!11!!! #micdrop"

*sees multiple pages of Canucks discussion*

Oh cool, maybe folks are bringing something new, anything new, to the table. 

*wastes time reading multiple pages of Canucks discussion*

Nope. 

The Canucks need a lumberjack identity. Without question. First of all, it's cool and unique. Secondly, it's totally justified. Thirdly, their name is Canucks, which immediately even brings my southern brain to Johnny Canuck.

The Orca isnt a bad logo, really. I just think it doesn't work on their current uniforms in the way it is being used... but just because there's nothing wrong with the Orca doesn't mean things shouldn't be improved by constructing a brand new lumberjack themed identity. 

5 minutes ago, DPHF said:

Nope. 

Agreed. Anytime there's even a whisper of something around the Canucks' identity, it sets the same people off and we wind up going around and around in the same circles. This time, it's been at least four days and six pages of treading the same old ground. And all sparked by a web article where the owner said they "might tweak" the current logo.

Enough is enough -- as a moderator, I'm asking everyone in this thread to drop the subject of the Canucks' identity for now. If anything new comes up in the near future, keep the discussion limited to the new information that comes to light. It's headache-inducing to read the same arguments over and over again, especially when it's clear no one's mind is going to be changed. 

Further posts related to the Canucks' identity that do not address new information may result in warnings and suspensions for disruptive posting and derailing threads.

3 hours ago, DPHF said:

Nope. 

Canuckjacked is the new Clevejacked...

The Canucks logo should be an overpriced condo building that no one can afford. 

I saw there were 6 new pages in this thread, hopped in to see what hot new info/leaks had dropped, and am now ready to start a GoFundMe to move the Vancouver Canucks to Birmingham.

9 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

On a different topic, I really hope the Flames abandon black after this season. Should they make the playoffs they should do what the Penguins did by declaring their retro thirds the "home" sweater. They probably won't go all the way, but it'll be a sign that black is on its way out.

Wearing the retro's at home for the playoffs last year got people hopeful but then the team said there were no future plans for a switch.  Managements insistence on keeping one of the biggest downgrades to come out the Edge era is infuriating.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

I saw there were 6 new pages in this thread, hopped in to see what hot new info/leaks had dropped, and am now ready to start a GoFundMe to move the Vancouver Canucks to Birmingham.

I was going to suggest Hartford. At least we know what the logo would have to be and they wouldn't have to change colors! ;) 

3 minutes ago, Morgo said:

Wearing the retro's at home for the playoffs last year got people hopeful but then the team said there were no future plans for a switch.  Managements insistence on keeping one of the biggest downgrades to come out the Edge era is infuriating.

It took the Pens two trips to make the switch. Maybe the same holds for the Flames, especially with that anniversary logo using no black.

Edited by SFGiants58

15 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Literally no one is saying this.

Everyone is saying the orca represents Vancouver and the region.

21 hours ago, dont care said:

Now you are just being ridiculous. They aren’t names the Louisianites  or the new englanders like the canucks. And orcas are commonly found in and around the waters or Vancouver. They are very much a Canadian animal. 

42 minutes ago, dont care said:

@ChromaticSo I was saying they represent the region right? Anyways let it go as @officeglenn had already said.

Don't @me then Elsa.

Man, this is a lot of discussion about a logo change for a team that just modified the logo by dropping the script. I doubt they're actually going to be making any changes to the orca anytime soon now.

I never minded the script, but I have to say the jersey looks cleaner without it. I'd like it better without the anniversary logo adding clutter to the front of the jersey though. 

If it's going to happen, I think the full time switch to the retro for the Flames could happen next season because the signs seem to be pointing that way.

The Iginla retired number banner from last season is retro, the 40th anniversary logo is all retro and the whites are back this year for the Heritage Classic. Wear the whites a couple more times after the outdoor game and who knows what could happen.