BJ Sands

NHL changes 2019-20

2 hours ago, monkeypower said:

If it's going to happen, I think the full time switch to the retro for the Flames could happen next season because the signs seem to be pointing that way.

The Iginla retired number banner from last season is retro, the 40th anniversary logo is all retro and the whites are back this year for the Heritage Classic. Wear the whites a couple more times after the outdoor game and who knows what could happen.

I would think a switch would likely coincide with a move to the new arena.

19 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

I would think a switch would likely coincide with a move to the new arena.

It depends if they want to wait that long. Construction on the arena is supposed to start in 2021 and then it's expected to take three years to complete, so a move to the new arena won't happen until the mid-2020's.

It might end up being an LA Rams situation (if the Flames are even going to make the switch full-time anyways).

The triangle in the Penguins’ center ice logo is slightly non-symmetrical this year. The upper right point doesn’t end as close to the center circle as the upper left point. Small difference, but noticeable. 

I didn’t think teams really changed the brand logo colors on helmets. Just kept them black or white. 

I like the Oilers in orange and navy. I’d like to see the return of copper but I have zero qualms with the current look. They’re even  one of the few teams that escaped the ADIDAS collars looking fairy unscathed.

Living in Edmonton for school, I still see the copper jerseys around and I will have to say I do have a bit of a soft spot for them.

9583268.jpg

But the original EDGE jerseys were an affront to everything good and just in the world.

hemskysign.jpg

If there's anything that's going to test the axiom of "given enough time, even the worst designs will come back into style eventually," it's the Reebok EDGE era. Irredeemably bad stuff.

Ottawa Senators still using the NHL 100 uniform as evidenced by the helmet and pants. 

cut.jpg

x000-vladislav_namestnikov-w.jpg?quality

7 hours ago, clonewars2008 said:

Ottawa Senators still using the NHL 100 uniform as evidenced by the helmet and pants. 

cut.jpg

x000-vladislav_namestnikov-w.jpg?quality

That or ol’ Melnyk wants to get as much use out of that gear as possible and get his money’s worth.

33 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

That or ol’ Melvyn wants to get as much use out of that gear as possible and get his money’s worth.

If it was just the breezers maybe but keeping the decals on the helmet just makes more work for the equipment staff having to change them before the game, meaning more money being spent.

Could it be as simple as the Centennial O on a different jersey?

Vancouver is playing their home opener tonight and had five former Canucks come out during player introductions wearing their era-specific uniform.

kCa822P.gif

Dennis Kearns, Stan Smyl, Kirk McLean, Todd Bertuzzi, and Daniel Sedin

I think the team really nailed it with their 50th anniversary slogan, "colourful past, bright future" they've done a good job of acknowledging and incorporating all the eras of Canucks uniforms.

And that looks a lot like Kirk Mclean is wearing his full goalie set up from the 1994 season.

The part I found strangest about the opening ceremonies were the one off throwback versions of the old uniforms made in the Adizero jerseys.

5 hours ago, Chromatic said:

The part I found strangest about the opening ceremonies were the one off throwback versions of the old uniforms made in the Adizero jerseys.

Both the inaugural jersey and flying V were Adizero (along with McLean's jersey but this one we all know about that)

And with a couple of those jerseys, there were some interesting things to note:

EGe-Jx1UcAE59Vv?format=jpg&name=4096x409

If you look closely, Stan Smyl and Orland Kurtenbach's jerseys are Adidas jersey

Prototypes for the throwback voting comp. Surprised the Bertuzzi era orca jersey wasnt given the adizero treatment as well.