NHL changes 2019-20

BJ Sands

Seems like there is an easy way to incorporate an NJ into the fork.  I kinda see an N in the left and middle prongs (making an N seems easy), and the right prong naturally makes a J. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First time I've seen a Flyers home game this year and I see that their center ice design is now one big logo as opposed to two smaller logos aligned opposite one another. I think they were the last hold out, and for a team with a logo like theirs, it made sense to have two smaller ones.

Obviously the trend has been moving away from that for some time now, and for teams with circular logos or logos that were more vertical than horizontal it made sense, but seeing the Habs and Flyers holding to the two-logo design was a nice throwback which also worked for them, being more horizontal logos, but I guess we can pretty much close the book on that once and for all now.

spacer.png

I like the idea of the Devils new alternate logo. The issue is.... is it supposed to be all white/black like the two examples shown? I feel like it needs some red to work with the current Devils look personally. 

I just hope that if it is an alt logo, they refrain from using it on the shoulders and keep it to either the helmets or pants. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

3 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

I like the idea of the Devils new alternate logo. The issue is.... is it supposed to be all white/black like the two examples shown? I feel like it needs some red to work with the current Devils look personally. 

I just hope that if it is an alt logo, they refrain from using it on the shoulders and keep it to either the helmets or pants. 

I imagine that's just due to the application on the items themselves. If it's anything similar to the B-Devils' alternate logo, I expect it'll have the team colors in it.

9 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Watching the Flames-Jets outdoor game from Regina on HNIC. Beautiful uniform matchup! Those Flames vintage whites are absolutely gorgeous and timeless.

Man, those Flames uniforms were awesome (and Jets ones too).  The Flames uniform last night head and shoulders above the current road whites.  There is no doubt in my mind now that the Flames should just go back to the traditional red and yellow uniforms full time after seeing that.  Please do it for next year so we can finally get rid of the current Flames eyesore with the wide pants stripes and the logos on the shoulders.  

I love the Canadian flag but I do not need to see it as a shoulder patch on a Flames uniform, along with an Alberta flag that does not match their colour scheme.

3 minutes ago, Wade Heidt said:

Man, those Flames uniforms were awesome (and Jets ones too).  The Flames uniform last night head and shoulders above the current road whites.  There is no doubt in my mind now that the Flames should just go back to the traditional red and yellow uniforms full time after seeing that.  Please do it for next year so we can finally get rid of the current Flames eyesore with the wide pants stripes and the logos on the shoulders.  

I love the Canadian flag but I do not need to see it as a shoulder patch on a Flames uniform, along with an Alberta flag that does not match their colour scheme.

That's already basically confirmed to be happening; the Flames were at least heavily considering switching to the third as their home and this Heritage Classic as the road, with the current home as an alternate.

Personally, I'd love to see the Iginla-era jerseys as the alternates; they handled the red/yellow/black color scheme a hell of a lot better then the current jersey does.

On 10/21/2019 at 10:54 AM, njdevs7 said:
Pic from @TheFourthPeriod on Twitter
spacer.png spacer.png

I love this as a shoulder logo. I'm not a Devils fan and don't know much about their ownership, but I seem to recall Lamoriello being a traditionalist who treated the Devil's identity as "untouchable". Glad to see some surprising changes from the new ownership, although the removal of the hem stripes was stupid. 

On 10/15/2019 at 3:25 PM, Morgo said:

^ If there was a way that logo could be configured where the blue and green don't touch, I'd be all for it.

Calgary's retros are overrated.  They need a striping configuration that matches and a little bit of black for contrast.  What they had from 2004-2007 is a vastly superior look even if it was a little black-heavy.

I disagree! Their Retros are Beautiful! I F'n hated the 90s trend of teams having Black for Black sake in their uniforms (looking at you Caps, Sabres, Flames). I'll keep saying this until the day I die, it's 2019, Games are Broadcast in HD, we sit at home and watch these HD Games on our HDTVs!
Red / Yellow / White POPS on my HDTV

32 minutes ago, Olmec said:

although the removal of the hem stripes was stupid. 

That was an issue with a lot of teams on the initial jersey switch from CCM to Reebok, like Arizona, Calgary, Columbus, San Jose, St. Louis, Atlanta and Los Angeles. Many of them (except for St. Louis) have yet to change back to hem stripes, and many also look infinitely worse without those hem stripes; San Jose and LA are particularly egregious cases of the current jerseys looking infinitely worse since the switchover removed their hem stripes. 

The actual weird part, for me, is that most of those teams lost the hem stripes in the Reebok switchover...but the Devils only lost theirs in the adidas switchover, and they still have hem stripes on the third.

14 minutes ago, Fitzy0220 said:

I disagree! Their Retros are Beautiful! I F'n hated the 90s trend of teams having Black for Black sake in their uniforms (looking at you Caps, Sabres, Flames). I'll keep saying this until the day I die, it's 2019, Games are Broadcast in HD, we sit at home and watch these HD Games on our HDTVs!
Red / Yellow / White POPS on my HDTV

While I do agree the retros are gorgeous, I'm personally very fond of the Iginla-era jerseys and would love to see them replace the current abomination as the third. The Flames can look good with black if you don't have an utter :censored:stain of a jersey to work with. Like, take a look at these and tell me that they wouldn't still look gorgeous on the ice;

spacer.png

At this point, the Flames have had black in their identity for just as long as they've not had it; just as the retros are tied to legends like MacInnis, McDonald and Gilmour, black is a colour that is tied to legends like Iginla, Gelinas and Kiprusoff. That era is just as worthy of recognition as their initial era, it'd be kind of silly to abandon it entirely when the color isn't the issue, it's the jersey design that is.

37 minutes ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

That was an issue with a lot of teams on the initial jersey switch from CCM to Reebok, like Arizona, Calgary, Columbus, San Jose, St. Louis, Atlanta and Los Angeles. Many of them (except for St. Louis) have yet to change back to hem stripes, and many also look infinitely worse without those hem stripes; San Jose and LA are particularly egregious cases of the current jerseys looking infinitely worse since the switchover removed their hem stripes. 

The actual weird part, for me, is that most of those teams lost the hem stripes in the Reebok switchover...but the Devils only lost theirs in the adidas switchover, and they still have hem stripes on the third.

While I do agree the retros are gorgeous, I'm personally very fond of the Iginla-era jerseys and would love to see them replace the current abomination as the third. The Flames can look good with black if you don't have an utter :censored:stain of a jersey to work with. Like, take a look at these and tell me that they wouldn't still look gorgeous on the ice;

spacer.png

At this point, the Flames have had black in their identity for just as long as they've not had it; just as the retros are tied to legends like MacInnis, McDonald and Gilmour, black is a colour that is tied to legends like Iginla, Gelinas and Kiprusoff. That era is just as worthy of recognition as their initial era, it'd be kind of silly to abandon it entirely when the color isn't the issue, it's the jersey design that is.

I agree I do like the Iginla jersey but to me Red / Yellow / White just stand out more, it was Unique 

For me, I like the black because it provides a contrasting color into the palette. Having black breaking the red body from the yellow/white striping makes the Flames look simply magnificent, IMO; but what kills the look nowadays is that the contrast isn't on the hem, like it should be. It's plastered across the side of the jersey, which ends up making it look disjointed as hell...almost apron-like, in a way.

And that makes red become overly-dominant, something the Iginla-era jerseys didn't do. The C of Red should be the fanbase, not the players. 😛

And most red/black teams tend to stick to one dominant color; Chicago has both, but black is basically exclusive to the striping and collar; the overwhelming majority of the jersey is red. Carolina does both as well, but like Chicago, black is more of a minor color in a predominantly-red palette for them.

The retros look sharp as hell, but I do think black still has a place on Calgary's uniforms; it's just that management completely eviscerated what was a damn solid jersey in the Reebok switchover. I'd rather them just use the Iginla-era jerseys as a third to at least throw back to that era on occasion.

It's like what happened to the Sharks; they had a great look and then completely wrecked it with a pointless redesign to remove the hem stripes and shoulder yoke. Except instead of a shoulder yoke, you get terrible looking side stripes that nobody liked from Day 1.

3 hours ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

For me, I like the black because it provides a contrasting color into the palette. Having black breaking the red body from the yellow/white striping makes the Flames look simply magnificent,

I used to think so too, before the Flames actually tarted rolling out the pre-black throwbacks. They seem bright, but that works for a team named after fire. 

The contrast between red and athletic gold is fine in the era of HDTV. 

3 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I used to think so too, before the Flames actually tarted rolling out the pre-black throwbacks. They seem bright, but that works for a team named after fire. 

The contrast between red and athletic gold is fine in the era of HDTV. 

Oh, it's not the brightness that's the thing for me, it's more that I feel that black works as an accent color because, much like athletic gold, it contrasts well against a mainly-red jersey. Black still looks good with the rest of the palette when the jersey is designed in a way that isn't completely asinine like the current set is, which is why I brought up the early 2000's jersey as an example of a non-asinine way you can incorporate black into the palette.

The throwbacks are awesome, but when you're pitting awesome against asininity, you don't usually see asininity winning that battle unless management is hopelessly and utterly inept at reading the fans, y'know? 😛

Completely ditching black I guess feels like throwing the baby out with the bathwater; the idea isn't bad, but the execution on the current set is absolutely atrocious. The Flames can make black look good on them, they have in the past; they just seem to have forgotten that they've made the scheme work before because the design wasn't an asinine flank-striped mess.

The Flames are going to be wearing the retro whites in February at home against the Ducks, who will be wearing their alternates that day (and also the day before in Vancouver).

I think that’s an interesting jersey matchup to look forward to, the retro white Flames vs the orange alternate Ducks.

IEI5Tg1.png

5 hours ago, monkeypower said:

The Flames are going to be wearing the retro whites in February at home against the Ducks, who will be wearing their alternates that day (and also the day before in Vancouver).

I think that’s an interesting jersey matchup to look forward to, the retro white Flames vs the orange alternate Ducks.

Ducks-Flames usually makes for a horrible matchup, so I'm definitely looking forward to this one where they'll both look good for a change.

Speaking of the Flames; this Heritage Classic looked fantastic and is up there as one of my favourite outdoor matchups. I kind of want one of those Jets jerseys.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Nashville will be unveiling their Winter Classic uniform this Saturday. Here is a teaser they posted last night:

Unless they're using a contrasting shoulder yoke, it looks like they'll be wearing white. That's pretty disappointing. Gold against green seemed like a perfect colour v. colour matchup.

Archived