NHL changes 2019-20

BJ Sands

On 10/27/2019 at 4:44 PM, Ice_Cap said:

I used to think so too, before the Flames actually tarted rolling out the pre-black throwbacks. They seem bright, but that works for a team named after fire. 

The contrast between red and athletic gold is fine in the era of HDTV. 

I agree with this, and I believe you can apply this to almost every team who darkened their colors in the late 90s, or before high definition television. Penguins, Islanders, Oilers, Sabres - when HD became a widely adopted thing, these teams were all sporting a darkened version of their old colors. Then they all switched (or at least introduced a throwback jersey) with their old, vibrant colors and it was like "oh man, this is what we've been missing?" Every team looks better when they pop off the screen, and in real life.

As for the Flames specifically - I agree that the black doesn't necessarily look bad, but their red/yellow/white scheme immediately identifies them as the Calgary Flames, which I think makes it the way to go. Adding black detracts from their identity.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Andy said:

As for the Flames specifically - I agree that the black doesn't necessarily look bad, but their red/yellow/white scheme immediately identifies them as the Calgary Flames, which I think makes it the way to go. Adding black detracts from their identity.

I actually think the opposite of this. I think black adds to the identity, and for me, I've always associated the Flames with black, red, and gold. I think if they kept the set from the last Cup run, there would be no issue. But the fact that they changed to a terrible template ruined the black in the identity for a lot of people.

I do think that the heritage classic jerseys, and the current thirds look great, but they could be better. The striping is inconsistent with each other, and after watching the HC, I was more impressed with the Jets jersey than the Flames. The Flames looked like they were missing something... Which I think was the color black.

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

I remember, during the off-season in '94, when I first heard about the Flames adding black to their colour scheme. I just shook my head in disbelief - BFBS. There's a thing called, "If it's not broken, don't fix it". Thankfully, the Flames are on the verge of being the Flames again after so many years.

Throw in my two cents on the Calgary uniforms. I love the 80's throwbacks. I didn't mind the Iginla era jerseys either, but my issue with them was too much black. I was always annoyed with the black numbers and black "C".  I just thought the black "C" reminded me of burnt toast and I don't think that's good. White with a thin black outline and a yellow outline or yellow with a thin black outline and white outline would've been perfect for the "C" and numbers. You could leave the striping the same. I just think a minimal amount of black would be good. If you don't use black and want a dark color, then try a maroon as an outline only.

6 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

I remember, during the off-season in '94, when I first heard about the Flames adding black to their colour scheme. I just shook my head in disbelief - BFBS. There's a thing called, "If it's not broken, don't fix it". Thankfully, the Flames are on the verge of being the Flames again after so many years.

Disbelief? It's not that hard to believe that they would potentially use black. I'm okay with it either way. An argument can be made for using black for sure - it's definitely not a bad addition if used correctly (I certainly wouldn't have been in disbelief when I heard about it had I been old enough and paying attention back then), but their original black-less look is quite strong and iconic too.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

The Flames, in my opinion, have looked their best with black in the palette. Red/black may be overplayed, but a good contrast is a good contrast, especially when it's managed properly with splashes of yellow and white mixed in.

The color scheme isn't the problem for the Flames' current unis; those would look like trash even in the retro colors. It's the design of the jersey itself that's more of the problem. Those terrible, awful, miserable flank stripes needed to go yesterday. Even just reverting to the 2000's look would be a massive improvement over what they currently have.

The retros look great, too, but I'll reiterate that completely excising black is kinda throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Adding black was a 25 year-long mistake. I’m glad they ruined their uniforms with the Edge set, so they could go back to the vintage look.

The pre-Edge look wasn’t even that good. The ugly City Bold Italic numbers, the over-abundance of black (which should be an accent at most, never the color of the breezers or helmets), and the snot horse all make it worse that the retros. It was an OK modern set, one that needed to go away eventually.

I hope the Flames banish black forever. Use the Calgary Cowboys or that maroon/yellow set as a third.

10 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Re: Flames with black.

Hide contents

eiWJXVn.png

(This is just my old Flames concept that gets posted occasionally. Basically just adding black accents to the retros.)

That’s what they should have done in the ‘90s, with a black third. Subtle black trim can work, but it rarely remains subtle.

12 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Looks like the Preds Dixie Flyers inspired fauxback is going to be......white.

I didn't expect that at all.

With yellow laces:

3 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Re: Flames with black.

Reveal hidden contents

eiWJXVn.png

(This is just my old Flames concept that gets posted occasionally. Basically just adding black accents to the retros.)

Meh. I don't think the black adds anything to this look. It's just unnecessary. Red & yellow works for the Chiefs, and it worked for the championship era-Rockets, so there's no reason why it can't work for the Flames. 

18 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Meh. I don't think the black adds anything to this look. It's just unnecessary. Red & yellow works for the Chiefs, and it worked for the championship era-Rockets, so there's no reason why it can't work for the Flames. 

But it doesn't detract anything from the look, either; at least when it's on a jersey that's not plagued with issues that would still ruin even the classic colors. You can't honestly tell me the current set would look any better if you replaced all the black with yellow, so the main fault for me is a ridiculously terrible design, not so much the colors. When they use a well-designed jersey, black actually looks good. At worst, it's a side-grade.

When they're using an blank hem, flank painted garbage heap of a jersey, of course black's going to look a lot worse then it would on a jersey that didn't have 30 million other terrible ideas implemented. That's part of the reason the retro throwbacks have been so popular; compared to the utter travesty they have as a main set right now, the retros look like a million-dollar custom sweater compared to the current $5 bargain bin sweaters they've been using.

There's multiple ways the team could make black work if they were just using jerseys that weren't designed like bargain bin garbage. This isn't like the Black Jays, where the very idea was objectively terrible; there's potential to make solid Flames jerseys with black as a secondary color. The issue is the Flames, for some godforsaken reason, decided to change from a set that looked good, if maybe not everybody's cup of tea, into a complete abomination of a set when the league switched jersey manufacturers.

21 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

That’s what they should have done in the ‘90s, with a black third. Subtle black trim can work, but it rarely remains subtle.

Thankfully, it does seem like most teams have begun veering away from the BFBS trend, at least in hockey; you don't really see many NHL teams slapping black into their look to try and come off as cool anymore. The prevalence of the color is wide, but the era of teams that have no buisness using black saying "lets put black in our set to be hip and cool with the kids" seems to have died off. It lasted for a while, but it has gradually died.

If anything, teams that need black to complete their look (coughtampacough) actually made themselves worse by ditching black. Calgary doesn't need black, but I wouldn't really say it's objectively bad as a concept for their look; just that when you're stuck with jerseys that look like crap, the fanbase tends to sour on it. 😛

In all honesty, I could still see the Flames rolling out the 2000's-era jerseys as a throwback at some point after the switch to the retros (after all, those were the jerseys used in the Cup run team in 03/04 and the Iginla era, and you can still get a lot of money by letting people remind themselves of that era, as well), but I think they know full well that fans HATE the current set and that'll be something I doubt gets touched again, even for throwbacks or event games.

After all, once you start to use the retros full-time, you can't also trot them out again for the next Heritage Classic. So using that as an excuse to bring back the Iginla-era jerseys as special events would make sense. After all, why waste the chance to print even more money at that next Heritage Classic by throwing back to the era many Flames fans also remember pretty fondly?

Unless they do a 90's jersey (which would be awful and I'm fairly sure most of us would hate it), they kinda...don't have any other option for a Heritage Classic set. Well, unless they do an Atlanta Flames jersey, but considering that's just the retros with a different logo, I doubt they'll go that route. In which case they have the 90's set and the early 2000's set. And considering the 90's set looks pretty terrible, they really only have the 2000's set.

Well, they could use the modern set there, but good luck getting any Flames fans to buy those trashheaps again. 😛

IMO in a perfect world and if done 100% correctly, black makes the Flames look better. I'm not saying any of their previous looks are better than the retro set, or that I've seen the ultimate Flames jersey concept that used black - all I'm suggesting is that black, if implemented perfectly to compliment the Flames' identity, is stronger than simply red yellow and white. Contrast is a real thing - there's a reason why it works.

At the risk of this turning into another Canucks thing where we can't talk about it because we've already talked about it, here is my take on the Flames and black.

If you think the Flames need black, then you think the Red Wings need black. They should have almost identical color schemes. The only difference is that the Flames have some yellow highlights to it. The yellow doesn't have to be quarantined with black to keep it from bleeding, because the red, yellow, and white bleeding together isn't a bad thing! As long as they follow the way they've always done it, with white logos/numbers on a red field, with yellow outlines, the bleeding together doesn't make it less legible. It makes it warmer. It makes it look like a flame.

Not ever single feature has to be a stark contrasting bold mark. The effect that is achieved by using only red/yellow/white is EXACTLY what they should try to do. It reads as easily as the Red Wings to me, and gives it a distinct FIRE appearance that is perfect for the team image. Black cools off the scheme too much, in my opinion. Red/yellow/white is just so vibrant, it doesn't need added contrast.

42 minutes ago, ColeJ said:

At the risk of this turning into another Canucks thing where we can't talk about it because we've already talked about it, here is my take on the Flames and black.

If you think the Flames need black, then you think the Red Wings need black. They should have almost identical color schemes. The only difference is that the Flames have some yellow highlights to it. The yellow doesn't have to be quarantined with black to keep it from bleeding, because the red, yellow, and white bleeding together isn't a bad thing! As long as they follow the way they've always done it, with white logos/numbers on a red field, with yellow outlines, the bleeding together doesn't make it less legible. It makes it warmer. It makes it look like a flame.

Not ever single feature has to be a stark contrasting bold mark. The effect that is achieved by using only red/yellow/white is EXACTLY what they should try to do. It reads as easily as the Red Wings to me, and gives it a distinct FIRE appearance that is perfect for the team image. Black cools off the scheme too much, in my opinion. Red/yellow/white is just so vibrant, it doesn't need added contrast.

110% well said. Like the saying goes, "Less is more".

3 hours ago, ColeJ said:

If you think the Flames need black, then you think the Red Wings need black. They should have almost identical color schemes.

Then should Carolina also have no black since the Wings don't? Does Tampa not need black to not look basically identical to Toronto now?

Not every franchise should try to play O6 dress-up. Calgary shouldn't have a near-identical color scheme to Detroit, in my eyes; that's what gave us Tampa cosplaying as the Tampa Bay Maple Wings instead of having a unique identity to their own to begin with. Not every team needs to try to look like an O6 club to have a good look going for them.

The only difference is that the Flames have some yellow highlights to it. The yellow doesn't have to be quarantined with black to keep it from bleeding, because the red, yellow, and white bleeding together isn't a bad thing! As long as they follow the way they've always done it, with white logos/numbers on a red field, with yellow outlines, the bleeding together doesn't make it less legible. It makes it warmer. It makes it look like a flame.

I'd argue black suits just as well to a team named the "Flames" as red and yellow do; after all, what color do we associate with burnt vegetation and coal? Black. Black still ties to the name "Calgary Flames", so I can't really say it's any worse a color for the team. At worst, it's a sidegrade. Red/yellow/white pops, yes, but black isn't completely out of place on a team with an identity revolved around fire, which is my main sticking point. The color fits, the execution has been done really badly on the current set.

Not every feature, but having black as a contrast on the jersey works fine if it's not brutally mangled into being too prominent. That's my chief complaint with the current set; they've essentially made black just as prominent as red of the home jersey when it shouldn't be that prominent, period.

Black as a hem color, black as an accent works for the Flames. Black as a dominant color (like the old horsehead) has never worked for Calgary, and I've come to agree there. The problem is the current jerseys make red and black too prominent together, and in turn neglect the yellow and white, which (combined with the many other awful elements of that jersey) makes them look like a frankensteined mess of a jersey cobbled together using 30 million ideas.

The mid-2000's jersey didn't have the issue the current set has because black there was exclusive to the hem and cuffs, essentially. The vast majority of the body was red or white, which is probably why it doesn't tend to be attacked as much as the current set, which overplays black way too much and downplays yellow and white by the same extreme. Really, all you'd probably have to do to those is maybe change the stripe colors a bit if you want to really keep black at a minimum and you've got a much better look for the Flames then what they have now.

It's possible to balance black with the rest of the Flames' colors if you're not boneheaded and try to force too much of it in, is my point. The retros look sharp as hell, but let's not pretend there aren't also looks the Flames have had with black that didn't also look really nice. The problem is the management seems to have a bad habit of alternating between really sharp main jerseys and really awful main jerseys, with not much of an inbetween.

Flames don't NEED black. I think their retro set is probably their best look to date. I just think black adds to the strength of their identity, if used correctly - ie, minimally.

The Red Wings are fine, obviously. Red and white contrast. Yellow and white don't, and red bleeds into yellow on screen and print. It can be executed in a way where that doesn't matter - but I think black can fix that and at the same time make everything look better. The retro set, while I like it, its a bit much for the eyes.

Dastard.... You think the Flames retros look like O6 dress up?

When you list off the schemes that use black, you see to assume I'm anti-black in hockey. I'm not. I just think it isn't NEEDED. It was better before it was added.

The Canes and Lightning look better when they use it. The Flames don't. Easy as that. Black outlines aren't fundamentally bad. The Flames just look better without them, and they don't need them. Please don't misunderstand my argument.

Do the Flames need black? No. 

Do I like the addition of black? Yes. 

And id you compare the Flames adding black to anybody, I;d compare it to the Blues adding subtle uses of red and then later on, adding navy..... neither were needed, but both gave us some terrific looks for both teams IMO. 

Also, if the Flames do keep black whenever they change from their hideous set, bring back the White C. Please. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

It never occurred to me until now that the perfect comparison to the Flames retro uniforms is the Blues retro set. Not sure how I missed that! I'm going to somewhat contradict myself here a little, but I actually prefer the Blues retro set over their regular jerseys that use navy (slightly prefer, not a lot), and definitely prefer them to the old jerseys that used the red accent colour (red didn't do the Blues identity any favours). There's something clean and fresh about the light blue, white and yellow look. The exact same thing can be said for the Flames' retros, I just don't like them as much and the bright red makes them a bit harder to look at. It's all entirely personal preference though.

Archived