Milwaukee "Bring Back The Glove" Campaign

MilSox

1 hour ago, KDubK414 said:

I was just thinking for the caps with the materials they use now. The actual logo is sacred and shall not be changed in any way. 

The logo is kind of hokey but in an extremely charming way. I think it is perfect as is.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/30/2019 at 6:30 AM, fnz said:

I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I love everything about the current Brewers look. Navy and gold is great combination, and I'm sad the Rams have gone away from it.

I was pissed the Padres went away from it for their current bland look. 

Metallic gold looks amazing in some applications, but awful in others.  

I actually love the Brewers’ modern cap color scheme if not the logo itself.  The metallic gold thread is beautiful in daylight.

But in fabric?  It’s disgusting.  Beyond awful. 

mil-04-13-goldwhite-3-620x433.jpg

Since I am now old and time moves faster, I'm floored by the fact that the Brewers are about to enter their 20th season with this garbage as their primary look.  At no point in that time would I have not had them in my bottom-5 MLB looks.  I hated it from day 1.  When I first joined the boards, approaching year 6 of this look, I was surprised to see that they were fairly well-liked (at least that's my memory).  But by now, I don't think they are terribly popular.  I think that regardless of how you felt about them in 2000, they've aged very poorly.  Particularly stale are the drab colors.  But I also think the wordmark, times new roman numbers, hat logo, and short little underline tail* have lost whatever luster they ever had. Add to that growing nostalgia for the 1980s look (that appears to have been embraced by those too young to remember it) and it doesn't seem that the current look is very well-liked at this time.

That said, I agree with the above posts that the Brewers are likely to keep the two-look thing going in an effort to sell more stuff.  People are buying the heck out of the BiG, and doing so in both schemes.  While the drab colors have aged poorly, it seems like the logo is driving nostalgia more than the colors.

*I hated that underline from day 1.  Thanks to the boards, I understand it had a purpose (to not cross the button-line) but it's still silly looking to me.  The Dodgers are doing just fine with the underline crossing the button-line.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 1/30/2019 at 7:37 AM, Gothamite said:

So did the Padres, though.  They could have continued to sell both brown and navy.

The difference, though, is that I'm told Brewers fans buy a lot of everything.  They punch above their weight in terms of merchandise sales.  And it's pretty clear that the Padres' merchandise sales were not in that category.

I think a key difference between the Brewers and the Padres is that while the Brewers want to sell as much merchandise as they can, the Padres need an image.  The Brewers are not the most high-profile team, but the Padres are the fifth most important team in their own state, play a lot of games while much of the country sleeps, and have a brand that is barely even noticeable.  So while I am no marketing expert, I'm not sure the Padres have the luxury to try to go blue/white as a primary and go brown once a week.  Maybe moreso than any team in the Big-4 (or maybe big 3), they are very anonymous.  Brown is not only superior to their current blandness, it sets them apart.  The BiG and royal/yellow would not really set the Brewers apart and I don't think they need it as much as the Padres. So to me, it makes more sense (as much as I hate it) for the Brewers to double-dip while the Padres move on to something that gives them an actual image.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

4 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

That said, I agree with the above posts that the Brewers are likely to keep the two-look thing going in an effort to sell more stuff.  People are buying the heck out of the BiG, and doing so in both schemes.  While the drab colors have aged poorly, it seems like the logo is driving nostalgia more than the colors.

I keep hearing that they sell more stuff by keeping the BiG as a throwback.  Yet I haven't bought anything with the current branding in years, and I know I'm far from an anomaly in that department.  So color me skeptical as to whether the sales of the current gear are enough to justify keeping it around.

Besides, if their ability to sell throwback merch is such an issue, then why not embrace the heritage of the AA Brewers?  It looks a lot better than the current stuff and they'll probably sell even more just for the fact that it's so similar to what the Braves wore when they played in Milwaukee (the AA Brewers were their top farm club, after all).

On 1/30/2019 at 9:51 AM, Marlins93 said:

To what extent should merchandise sales really be driving these decisions? As I understand it, online retail sales are split evenly among all 30 MLB teams, so the Brewers wouldn't even really be reaping the benefits.

All the teams are in it together, so they all have a vested interest in each other's looks.  None of them want to see one of their peers come out with some crap that isn't going to sell and be a drain on their collective share of the pie.  Merch sales shouldn't be the driving factor - but certainly a big one.

On 1/30/2019 at 2:06 PM, KDubK414 said:

I'd kinda like to see a collaborative effort of sorts, to create a new brand around the BiG. Modernize the BiG a bit, think Vikings. 

I'm struggling to think of a time that this went well.  The most recent example I can think of is the Atlanta Hawks pacman logo, and all they did was make it look like a knockoff of itself.  Maybe they could add a tilt, rotate it a little bit like it's moving, then add some beveling, and motion lines.  That'd work.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 1/30/2019 at 12:47 AM, NicDB said:

Now that it would seem Padres fans were successful in their "Bring Back The Brown" campaign

Were they? Until the Padres are wearing brown-and-whatever full time in 2020 or beyond, I wouldn't call it a success just yet.

On 1/30/2019 at 6:30 AM, fnz said:

the Rams have gone away from it

Well, the Rams are a bit different because their LA years are probably best remembered as blue-and-yellow (and perhaps blue-and-white). The navy-and-gold was both exclusively associated with their post Super Bowl years strictly within St. Louis. I think Milwaukee is different. They've got a long association with the color and it's strictly stayed with one team and one city. So there's more an association with that city and that color scheme (just like Los Angeles and blue-and-yellow).

• 3 weeks later...

Archived