MLS Concepts (Series Complete!)

vtgco

5 hours ago, Scot said:

That home jersey is incredible. I've been an Impact fan for 20 years, this is the rebrand we need. I love the Ville de Montréal logos on the home. If I could make one suggestion though, I'd move the flag to the back collar. It distracts from the pattern a little.

Thanks for the kind words; it always means a lot when it comes from a fan of team! I'm a younger fan, so I don't have the personal experience, but I hope my callbacks to the USL era are on the right track (my Sounders could stand to do more of it, IMO...)

Good call on putting the flag on the back; looks quite nice, I think:

Spoiler

IwpRfFo.png

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's one I've sorta struggled with for a while, Atlanta:

1YPr6z5.png

So I really love the other Atlanta soccer concepts—especially @mcrosby's train-themed Terminus logo, and the phoenix-themed logos made by @Section30 and Andrew Wagner—but I didn't feel like trying to compete, so I tried a different approach that I felt a bit uncertain about.

I was inspired by ATLUTD2's golden spike (let them get their own identity) and Aberdeen's goal-shaped A, and put them inside the state outline. The drop-shadows were a bit of a last-second addition; hopefully it works. (The wordmark is in ATLUTD's actual font.)

The home jersey is a return to the red-back, five-stripe design that Atlanta should stick with (quit it with the all-black uniform, please!) but adds a subtle train track theme.

The away jersey is just based on the MARTA buses. IDK if Atlantans like the system, but I think the design is cool, and I don't have any better ideas.

Advice on this one would be greatly appreciated, since I'm not feeling 100% about it.

• vtgco changed the title to MLS Concepts (Portland & Atlanta added)

I haven't commented yet, which is shocking, because this series has been incredible! In general your work is super professional and more often than not an upgrade over the actual MLS team. I'll go through what you've got and leave feedback on each:

Cincinnati - I like the decision to let the lion break free of the weird crest. Big fan of both jerseys, the river striping on the white is classy. My only critique is that the royal blue doesn't show up anywhere else on the set - maybe dropping it and making the river navy would be the right move?

Seattle - I like the hexagonal logo you've made, but I'm not sold on the colors. I think the basic royal and green isn't as good as the more unique shades they use now. I'm also not sure they need the orca logo, especially since black isn't anywhere else in the set. I do love the versatility the logo provides with its stripes. The kits are nice and classy. The Sounders third you made is also really nice.

Nashville - I like the guitar headstock logo and the "Nashville" text, but the ultra-modern 'SC' and 'MMXIII' doesn't mesh well whatsoever. I like the guitar string theme, it looks really good on the home jersey. The clash isn't bad, per se, but I feel like it clashes too hard with the yellow and blue the club uses. I see what you were going for though and I don't think it's a bad idea. The blue away is much better, the piano keys is a clever idea that works super well.

Chicago (Oval) - 100% an upgrade over the garbage they used. I love the kits as well, brilliant idea executed perfectly here. No complaints!

Chicago (Cross) - I really like this one as well, but I think the C + fire doesn't work as well here. The C is too thin to stand out and the fire star seems out of place. That said, the jerseys are great, I especially love the Robie House-inspired white.

Charlotte - Ok, don't take this personally, but I do have many thoughts on my hometown team: I think your logo misses the point of what Charlotte was trying to do. By placing the crown on top, you completely lose the coin shape and thus the whole point of the crest. In addition, the attempted reconcilation of Panther blue and mint does not work. The teal-ish color you got is not good-looking and the whole look would be much better served by simply switching to mint. The quarter jersey is clever and I like the checkerboard-style transition, but again having so many shades of blue/blue-green kinda messes the jersey up. I don't really like the odd green-black you chose either, less green would be good. While I like the CLTFC monogram well enough, I'm not sure it works well enough to be placed on the crest. I wonder if continuing the quarter pattern on the mint part of the logo would be a good idea, because it feels a little plain right now. I think the loss of "Minted 2022" isn't a good thing, it was a nice little nod to the inspiration of the crest and was a unique way to say "estd" or "founded". The Romare Bearden Park clash kit is spectacular, easily my favorite of the two. If it were me, I'd place the crown on the coin, give some space for text, and put "Charlotte FC" on the top, "Minted 2022" on the bottom, and continuing the quarter pattern onto the mint section of the logo. Take out the green in the shade of black, go to a charcoal color, and switch to single, mint color. Swapping silver for gold might be a good move too (think the Hornets' Buzz City Minted jerseys) since the Charlotte mint only ever made gold coins. You could keep the silver for the clash if you wanted.

Charlotte logo updates - The far right is brilliant! That's what you should have gone with. Make the FC the same size as Charlotte, swap out the Roman numerals for 2022 (real coins use normal numbers) and maybe eliminate one of the outlines so everything inside the coin has more room to breathe.

St. Louis - The logo here is a huge improvement over what we actually have. Switching the Confluence name is really good, an improvement over CITY Soccer Capital, that's for sure. I like the home, but I think it would be better without the pattern. Not really a fan of the clash, the steamboat is just kinda there. It's not really interacting with the water so it feels static and disconnected with the set. The water pattern is nice, though.

Houston (Hexagon) - The logo is solid enough, but the lightning bolt doesn't really match with the in-line treatment of everything else. The kits are fine enough, I really like the space shuttle one in particular.

Houston (Roundel) - Very clever combination of icons from Dynamo history as well as an actual dynamo! The incorporation of the light blue is great, it's a great color that the real team should use more of. The home kit is awesome, love the combination of space and Houston. The Houston sports combo clash is great, the only miss is the dropshadows, which don't read super well.

Columbus - I like your logo over the real thing, but I'm not super sold on it. It feels odd to not have "Columbus" in the logo somewhere, especially given the recent rebrands' attempt to place Columbus in the forefront of the brand. Not really sure how to fix it, aside from replacing "Crew SC" with "Columbus". Kits are great, no complaints there.

New England - Simply spectacular! This is exactly what the Revs should do. I don't think the font quite fits, possibly a more old-fashioned block would work better? The home jersey is probably my favorite kit of the series, literal perfection. The away is also awesome, I love the idea of red and green for New England. Great stuff here!

Los Angeles - I adore what you've done here! The Premiere LA name is awesome and that logo is Art Deco perfection! I do slightly mourn the loss of the Winged A but everything else is so good I can't complain. Home kit is perfect, no complaints, and that clash kit is great as well! The no-white look is awesome.

Colorado - Gorgeous! The return of rapids to the logo is great and I love the way you used the colors. The home kit is sheer perfection, this is the best topographic map on any jersey I've ever seen. The clash is nice, solid nod to the Rapids' past.

New York - The MetroStars return! Solid logo, love the kits. The red kit in particular is really freakin' good. Great stuff!

Salt Lake - Immediately, dumping "Real Salt Lake" makes this an improvement. I love the new colors as well, such a great take on red and blue. The half-and-half Spiral Jetty kit is absolutely brilliant, everything works perfectly here. The clash is also a great nod to the city flag, which is really nice. Great work here!

Philadelphia - Gorgeous logo, gorgeous home kit, gorgeous clash kit. 'Nough said!

Montreal - I love the new logo, it's really well put-together and respects the Impact brand while acknowledging the Club de Foot era. That home kit is class, for sure. I like the idea of the pink away, but I'm worried pink and black is too Miami (although it looks like Montreal beat them to the punch there). The Olympic torch pattern is awesome.

Orlando - Not sure how much I like the drop shadow on the logo, but the shape is really nice. The lion feels a little disconnected, like it's 2D while the rest of the logo is 3D. No complains with the kits though, great work.

Toronto Blizzard - I love this! The new logo is awesome, but the real standout here is definitely the white kit. I love the geometric style of the map and it really stands out amongst the other sublimated/patterned maps you've done.

Toronto Falcons - I do really like this one as well. It's certainly closer to Toronto's current brand, but it just doesn't measure up to Blizzard in my opinion. Love the kits here, the color balance is extremely well-done.

Minnesota - I take it back, that aurora jersey is far and away my favorite kit. Love the aurora, love the forest pattern, I love everything you've done here. 11/10!

Miami - Everything I said about Premiere LA multiplied by pink. You've outdone yourself here, this brand is beautiful and would probably be my favorite in MLS if it were real. The orange-to-pink gradient works so well and the vaporwave-style home kit is brilliant.

Portland - I love everything you've done for the Timbers, with one exception: the red on the logo stands out in a bad way. I really don't think Portland needs that red and it clashes too hard with the green to work. That said, everything else is wonderful, especially that clash kit.

Atlanta - I really like the logo here, it's a solid upgrade over their current decent roundel. I think the wordmark could use a little tweaking, specifically the first "A" has only one serif while the other two have two and the spacing between the Ts and As could be shrunk to look better. The train tracks five stripes is a solid design, a neat take on Atlanta's current brand. The MARTA design is nice, but I can't say for sure if locals would like it or not. A solid set, I'd say an upgrade over the real thing but not really a standout from the rest of your designs.

There you go! I hope this helps, you've got a ton of awesome stuff here and I think most of what I don't like as much is only a few small tweaks away from being great. Keep up the incredible work!

the user formerly known as cdclt

3 hours ago, vtgco said:

Thanks for the kind words; it always means a lot when it comes from a fan of team! I'm a younger fan, so I don't have the personal experience, but I hope my callbacks to the USL era are on the right track (my Sounders could stand to do more of it, IMO...)

Hide contents

IwpRfFo.png

That looks really good.

I’m not sure about the pink for our away shirt. What does it look like with a grey or bluish grey? 

4 hours ago, vtgco said:

Reveal hidden contents

IwpRfFo.png

Looking at the logo again, the outer ring reminds me of the cobblestone of Old Montréal. It really is a massive upgrade. 

4 hours ago, Scot said:

Looking at the logo again, the outer ring reminds me of the cobblestone of Old Montréal. It really is a massive upgrade. 

I didn't even think of that connection! (Is it wrong that I associate cobblestone more with Quebec City? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯   ) Anyways, thanks again for the kind words.

4 hours ago, Scot said:

That looks really good.

I’m not sure about the pink for our away shirt. What does it look like with a grey or bluish grey? 

I have no idea if Impact fans liked the pink away jerseys back in the day, so you'd know better than I, but I think the pink is cool.

That said, gray works fine, since it's the color of the metallic base of the sculpture... I think the part on the right has to stay orange/red/pink to stay recognizable as the torch, though:

ttbuMPH.png

----

7 hours ago, QCS said:

I haven't commented yet, which is shocking, because this series has been incredible! In general your work is super professional and more often than not an upgrade over the actual MLS team. I'll go through what you've got and leave feedback on each

Hey, thanks for the really comprehensive feedback! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the series, and I've made some quick edits to address some of your comments. I might come back to some of the other stuff later, but here's some of the simple stuff:

Nashville

Spoiler

7 hours ago, QCS said:

Nashville - I like the guitar headstock logo and the "Nashville" text, but the ultra-modern 'SC' and 'MMXIII' doesn't mesh well whatsoever.

Yeah, I hadn't thought about this one in a while, but you're right... Here's the design with a more-closely matching font:

0pDjZq0.png 

New England

Spoiler

7 hours ago, QCS said:

New England - Simply spectacular! This is exactly what the Revs should do. I don't think the font quite fits, possibly a more old-fashioned block would work better?

I might defend my choice of font by saying that I felt like this logo was more modern/abstract than classic, and thus deserves a modern font, but you're right that I could maybe choose a better one... A traditional block font didn't quite do it for me, but how about this sorta blocky serif one?

euRFObO.png

Charlotte

Spoiler
7 hours ago, QCS said:

Charlotte - Ok, don't take this personally, but I do have many thoughts on my hometown team: I think your logo misses the point of what Charlotte was trying to do. By placing the crown on top, you completely lose the coin shape and thus the whole point of the crest. In addition, the attempted reconcilation of Panther blue and mint does not work. The teal-ish color you got is not good-looking and the whole look would be much better served by simply switching to mint. The quarter jersey is clever and I like the checkerboard-style transition, but again having so many shades of blue/blue-green kinda messes the jersey up. I don't really like the odd green-black you chose either, less green would be good. While I like the CLTFC monogram well enough, I'm not sure it works well enough to be placed on the crest. I wonder if continuing the quarter pattern on the mint part of the logo would be a good idea, because it feels a little plain right now. I think the loss of "Minted 2022" isn't a good thing, it was a nice little nod to the inspiration of the crest and was a unique way to say "estd" or "founded". The Romare Bearden Park clash kit is spectacular, easily my favorite of the two. If it were me, I'd place the crown on the coin, give some space for text, and put "Charlotte FC" on the top, "Minted 2022" on the bottom, and continuing the quarter pattern onto the mint section of the logo. Take out the green in the shade of black, go to a charcoal color, and switch to single, mint color. Swapping silver for gold might be a good move too (think the Hornets' Buzz City Minted jerseys) since the Charlotte mint only ever made gold coins. You could keep the silver for the clash if you wanted.

Hey, I totally can relate to being more critical of designs/concepts for a hometown team, so I get it and I appreciate it!

I'd say the IRL logo doesn't convey coin at all besides the "Minted", so I figured when I did this that removing that word in favor of ridges would be fine... But I'm happy to try another version that keeps both:

yAWp4jd.png

The crown being on top was more to avoid the sorta boring roundel deal, but maybe the ridged rim is good enough for that...? I just kinda worry that the crown in the middle just feels a bit too plain.

Also, I love those Hornets alternates, but the gold felt quite out of place on this concept (the rightmost one here was the best I could do for now) and it's not like MLS has a lack of metallic gold, so I think I'd prefer to stick with silver despite the anachronism.

As for the jerseys, I think that removing the Panther blue shades from the gradient kinda reduces some sorta textural aspect of the jersey that I like, but still it's not too bad without it:

LHhYLqy.png

Idk, maybe you have more advice or some suggestions for Charlotte landmarks/symbols to incorporate into the roundel or the crown...

Seattle

Spoiler

7 hours ago, QCS said:

Seattle - I like the hexagonal logo you've made, but I'm not sold on the colors. I think the basic royal and green isn't as good as the more unique shades they use now. I'm also not sure they need the orca logo, especially since black isn't anywhere else in the set. I do love the versatility the logo provides with its stripes. The kits are nice and classy. The Sounders third you made is also really nice.

Okay, my turn to be the hometown guy! As a fan, I really dislike the Sounders' current, muddy shades of blue and green, so I'm not about to switch them back... 

But I will say that since I posted that version on that you saw on the original 2018 thread or on my website, I've been shifting the green ever-so-slightly to a more emerald shade, and I've kinda soured on those secondary logos. I agree that the black of the orca is out of place, at this point I really only use that one if I'm trying to do a '90s fauxback.

If you care to compare the shade of green, I've added a home jersey to my Sounders post in this thread (results may very from screen to screen, it's pretty subtle!)

Columbus

Spoiler

7 hours ago, QCS said:

Columbus - I like your logo over the real thing, but I'm not super sold on it. It feels odd to not have "Columbus" in the logo somewhere, especially given the recent rebrands' attempt to place Columbus in the forefront of the brand. Not really sure how to fix it, aside from replacing "Crew SC" with "Columbus". Kits are great, no complaints there.

I do have a version that does exactly what you said, replace "Crew SC" with "Columbus," but I prefer "Crew SC" there because, suffice it to say, I expect the city to change its name someday... (Though I doubt it'll be to Flavortown; sorry Guy Fieri fans.)

Chicago

7 hours ago, QCS said:

Chicago (Cross) - I really like this one as well, but I think the C + fire doesn't work as well here. The C is too thin to stand out and the fire star seems out of place. That said, the jerseys are great, I especially love the Robie House-inspired white.

Funny that you mention this; I've been thinking about that... I 100% agree! In the year and a half since I posted it, I have come to dislike this design for exactly the reasons you mention here, as well as the fact that the flag colors really don't work with the fire star.

That's why, when Matt Wolff's *new* new IRL Fire logo came out, I began some progress on two different edits:

J7qJzCG.png Uc71NjB.png

Basically the left one is just the average between the two concepts I posted, with a much thicker C, and the right one is just my tweak to Wolff's new design to get the color balancing and shape to a slightly better place.

That one on the right can totally work as a replacement for that Florian cross concept from back then, IMO:

ai7Zbhh.png

Anyways, thanks for the comments; it's nice to procrastinate by doing edits get some quality constructive feedback!

• vtgco changed the title to MLS Concepts (ATL added, CHIv2 updated)
33 minutes ago, vtgco said:

I didn't even think of that connection! (Is it wrong that I associate cobblestone more with Quebec City? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯   ) Anyways, thanks again for the kind words.

I have no idea if Impact fans liked the pink away jerseys back in the day, so you'd know better than I, but I think the pink is cool.

That said, gray works fine, since it's the color of the metallic base of the sculpture... I think the part on the right has to stay orange/red/pink to stay recognizable as the torch, though:

ttbuMPH.png

----

Hey, thanks for the really comprehensive feedback! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the series, and I've made some quick edits to address some of your comments. I might come back to some of the other stuff later, but here's some of the simple stuff:

Nashville

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, I hadn't thought about this one in a while, but you're right... Here's the design with a more-closely matching font:

0pDjZq0.png 

New England

Reveal hidden contents

I might defend my choice of font by saying that I felt like this logo was more modern/abstract than classic, and thus deserves a modern font, but you're right that I could maybe choose a better one... A traditional block font didn't quite do it for me, but how about this sorta blocky serif one?

euRFObO.png

Charlotte

Reveal hidden contents

Hey, I totally can relate to being more critical of designs/concepts for a hometown team, so I get it and I appreciate it!

I'd say the IRL logo doesn't convey coin at all besides the "Minted", so I figured when I did this that removing that word in favor of ridges would be fine... But I'm happy to try another version that keeps both:

yAWp4jd.png

The crown being on top was more to avoid the sorta boring roundel deal, but maybe the ridged rim is good enough for that...? I just kinda worry that the crown in the middle just feels a bit too plain.

Also, I love those Hornets alternates, but the gold felt quite out of place on this concept (the rightmost one here was the best I could do for now) and it's not like MLS has a lack of metallic gold, so I think I'd prefer to stick with silver despite the anachronism.

As for the jerseys, I think that removing the Panther blue shades from the gradient kinda reduces some sorta textural aspect of the jersey that I like, but still it's not too bad without it:

LHhYLqy.png

Idk, maybe you have more advice or some suggestions for Charlotte landmarks/symbols to incorporate into the roundel or the crown...

Seattle

Reveal hidden contents

Okay, for my turn to be the hometown guy! As a fan, I really dislike the Sounders' current, muddy shades of blue and green, so I'm not about to switch them back... 

But I will say that since I posted that version on that you saw on the original 2018 thread or on my website, I've been shifting the green ever-so-slightly to a more emerald shade, and I've kinda soured on those secondary logos. I agree that the black of the orca is out of place, at this point I really only use that one if I'm trying to do a '90s fauxback.

If you care to compare the shade of green, I've added a home jersey to my Sounders post in this thread (results may very from screen to screen, it's pretty subtle!)

Columbus

Reveal hidden contents

I do have a version that does exactly what you said, replace "Crew SC" with "Columbus," but I prefer "Crew SC" there because, suffice it to say, I expect the city to change its name someday... (Though I doubt it'll be to Flavortown; sorry Guy Fieri fans.)

Chicago

Funny that you mention this; I've been thinking about that... I 100% agree! In the year and a half since I posted it, I have come to dislike this design for exactly the reasons you mention here, as well as the fact that the flag colors really don't work with the fire star.

That's why, when Matt Wolff's *new* new IRL Fire logo came out, I began some progress on two different edits:

J7qJzCG.png Uc71NjB.png

Basically the left one is just the average between the two concepts I posted, with a much thicker C, and the right one is just my tweak to Wolff's new design to get the color balancing and shape to a slightly better place.

That one on the right can totally work as a replacement for that Florian cross concept from back then, IMO:

ai7Zbhh.png

Anyways, thanks for the comments; it's nice to procrastinate by doing edits get some quality constructive feedback!

I like the grey, but maybe go lighter shade of blue of orange for the flame. There isn’t enough contrast with the light pink, imo.

I really like the updates you've made to Nashville and New England, both feel much more fitting for the logos. You're 100% right about the serifed font for NE over a block one. The updated Florian Cross look is really good, you definitely did the idea more justice than the real logo in my opinion. Columbus I could give or take (and I agree with you on the name change). As for Seattle, I'm all good with the green and blue! The new color is a solid enough improvement and I'm glad to hear that the secondaries aren't used all much.

Charlotte is tough. I understand not wanting to use gold (and IMO the mint jerseys are kinda overrated anyway, they don't compare to the teal and purple) and I get that it feels a little empty. I suppose, in that case, it comes down to whether you want the logo to be a coin or not. If not, then you can move the crown back on top and play with the monogram as you see fit. But, if you want it to keep the coin stylings, then I'd say go with the middle option of the three roundels and possibly continue the shading onto the rest of the coin? That may even be a way to justify a Panther blue-type color in there as well. As for icons of Charlotte, there's no better symbol than a crown. As the only legitimate Queen City (:P) we certainly deserve a crown but aside from that there's not much. We have some public art that's pretty cool, such as Firebird, The Sculptures at Independence Square, Il Grande Disco, and some others. Aside from that, possibly pulling from the actual coins the mint produced would create more interesting options? Heads was Lady Liberty and tails was an eagle (the latter of which inspired Mint City Collective's logo). I've actually done a concept inspired by the heads side but I'd love to see your take on it. Or, if you wanted to take it a different direction, possibly pulling from the art on display at the Mint Museum would be neat. Mint Museum Randolph is the original building, but both are the same organization. An icon based on the Bank of America Corporate Center (with its top being inspired by a crown) could be a good way to fill a little more space while keeping the crown connection. As a little aside, what if you included a "C 2022" as a nod to the mint? All coins recieve their year of mint and the first initial of the city they were minted in, might be a little redundant if you include the Charlotte FC text but possibly more fitting than the "Minted 2022". Going directly inspired by the mint makes me even more want gold, given that was literally the only thing the Charlotte mint ever processed. If any team has a claim to it, I feel like CLTFC would be one of the more justified teams. That said, mint/gold/black would tread on Premiere LA in this universe, so it might be a wash. Hopefully this helps, I think the direction you've got has a ton of potential and I'd like to see it unlocked.

8 hours ago, vtgco said:

Here's one I've sorta struggled with for a while, Atlanta:

1YPr6z5.png

So I really love the other Atlanta soccer concepts—especially @mcrosby's train-themed Terminus logo, and the phoenix-themed logos made by @Section30 and Andrew Wagner—but I didn't feel like trying to compete, so I tried a different approach that I felt a bit uncertain about.

I was inspired by ATLUTD2's golden spike (let them get their own identity) and Aberdeen's goal-shaped A, and put them inside the state outline. The drop-shadows were a bit of a last-second addition; hopefully it works.

The home jersey is a return to the red-back, five-stripe design that Atlanta should stick with (quit it with the all-black uniform, please!) but adds a subtle train track theme.

The away jersey is just based on the MARTA buses. IDK if Atlantans like the system, but I think the design is cool, and I don't have any better ideas.

Advice on this one would be greatly appreciated, since I'm not feeling 100% about it.

That stripe design utilizing train tracks is very clever! Seeing as Atlanta United has seemingly already run out of ideas for striped shirts three versions in, they should take some ideas from you. Well done!

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

As an Atlanta fan and native to the area, you certainly did a great job on this look. The Marta design is especially fun and I think a lot of locals like myself would enjoy it. 

Gonna take some time to go back through your other designs while looking forward for the next!

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

On 7/13/2021 at 5:09 PM, Scot said:

I like the grey, but maybe go lighter shade of blue of orange for the flame. There isn’t enough contrast with the light pink, imo.

Glad you like the edit! Fair point about the contrast; easy enough of a fix:

wfN4tMU.png

Also, I wasn't sure what you meant about blue, but I tried replacing black with blue... I guess that red, blue, and silver has a touch of Alouettes/Expos/Canadiens synergy, which is always nice, but I can't put my finger on what looks off about it:

O9Y2a0k.png

-------------------------

On 7/13/2021 at 8:17 PM, SSmith48 said:

That stripe design utilizing train tracks is very clever! Seeing as Atlanta United has seemingly already run out of ideas for striped shirts three versions in, they should take some ideas from you. Well done!

Why, thank you! I hope they start recognizing the potential of the five-stripe format again, and I suspect no one has even begun to tap the possibilities for Atlanta-themed jerseys...

On 7/14/2021 at 6:51 AM, GriffinM6 said:

As an Atlanta fan and native to the area, you certainly did a great job on this look. The Marta design is especially fun and I think a lot of locals like myself would enjoy it. 

Gonna take some time to go back through your other designs while looking forward for the next!

Thank you; always great to hear from a local! Glad that the MARTA one is well-received; I feel somewhat positively about Seattle's buses but I wasn't sure if that was the case for folks in Atlanta. Hope you've been enjoying the other entries of the series!

@QCS Thanks for all of your suggestions for lots of Charlotte-themed stuff; it's certainly some good inspiration!

You mention the heads face of the Mint's coins; I think that's a great idea, but I don't want to infringe on @kerlonmoura's excellent concept... As for the eagle, it'd be worth a shot (especially with the eagle from the Randolph), but I'm not great at shading on animals, so I might have to take a long time to do it.

In terms of the public art, I think that Il Grande Disco would make the basis for a beautiful alternate kit, so I might have to try that in the future.

I liked your Bank of America Tower suggestion and started looking into that a bit, but as I was looking at skyline pictures, I felt even more inspired by the design of the Duke Energy Center:

CrWmTSm.png    X3HC0E9.png

I don't know if that's a building Charlotteans (?) feel very attached to, but I thought it looked cool and worked well with the crown. Depending on what folks think about this, I might go back and try the BoA Tower or the Truist Tower or something altogether different. Still, I think it's a bit more exciting than before, so thank you for your encouragement and brainstorming help!

Wow, I really like that Duke Energy Center / crown combo! Definitely a much more dynamic crown compared to before. I personally prefer the version with "C 2022" because it includes the six-pointed stars that were on the coins that were minted but both look awesome. I like what's here, but it might be worth exploring versions based on BofA Center or Truist Center, just to see. The updated black and silver MTL kit is awesome as well. Keep up the great work!

As an aside, Charlotteans is correct and as far as I'm aware, we generally like the Duke Energy Center. We hate the company, but the building is nice.

On 7/13/2021 at 4:34 PM, vtgco said:

Chicago

J7qJzCG.png Uc71NjB.png

ai7Zbhh.png

I really like the update to the logo, though I think the home red could maybe benefit from a little bit more of the sky blue. Maybe in the red space between the white lines on the front or even as the outline to the city on the arms. Nevertheless, this is a great update to the team and I'm liking the emphasis on the sky blue and red in the logo and kits overall.

spacer.pngspacer.png

On 7/16/2021 at 12:04 PM, QCS said:

Wow, I really like that Duke Energy Center / crown combo! Definitely a much more dynamic crown compared to before. I personally prefer the version with "C 2022" because it includes the six-pointed stars that were on the coins that were minted but both look awesome. I like what's here, but it might be worth exploring versions based on BofA Center or Truist Center, just to see. The updated black and silver MTL kit is awesome as well. Keep up the great work!

As an aside, Charlotteans is correct and as far as I'm aware, we generally like the Duke Energy Center. We hate the company, but the building is nice.

Glad you like it; thanks for all your comments to get it where it is! I was definitely hoping to go for "dynamic," so glad that came through. I'll go to other teams to work on for a bit, but I might return to the Charlotte concept and try those other versions later.

On 7/16/2021 at 4:15 PM, WhitecapsForLife11 said:

I really like the update to the logo, though I think the home red could maybe benefit from a little bit more of the sky blue. Maybe in the red space between the white lines on the front or even as the outline to the city on the arms. Nevertheless, this is a great update to the team and I'm liking the emphasis on the sky blue and red in the logo and kits overall.

It's kinda funny that you say that; I tried the hoop striping as you suggested and worried that it looked too much like the '79 Whitecaps hoop! Still looks good though, and a nice callout to the Chicago Flag:

TGgSvWm.png

That said I also tried a second striping pattern for good measure. I also tried this one with the blue skyline per your suggestion.

MZXrFHQ.pngbqlY5oB.png

Anyways, thanks for the feedback!

Here's a bit of an era-blending look for FC Dallas:

wLpSk3Y.png

For this one, I did my best to retool the Dallas Burn lightning horse logo into the iconic Dallas Pegasus (for the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to get a more detailed back leg to look good... Any advice?) I also created a new wordmark with the Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge as inspiration. Light green returns as an accent color in an otherwise unchanged color scheme. (The wordmark is custom.)

The home jersey adds the pattern from the Fair Park Esplanade to FC Dallas's classic red-white hoops. I think a Greek-esque pattern feels kinda appropriate for a Pegasus team, no?

The away jersey adds a Reunion Tower pattern and goes for a blue-green combo for Mavericks/Cowboys synergy.

For this one, I also have a third jersey, very loosely inspired by the Burn's 1996 white away jersey and the neon lights of the Bank of America Plaza:

S4E5TrI.png

Thanks for checking it out! I'm feeling a tad stuck for Sacramento, so if anyone has any suggestions for that or anything else, please let me know.

• vtgco changed the title to MLS Concepts (Dallas added)
On 2021-07-16 at 2:56 PM, vtgco said:

Glad you like the edit! Fair point about the contrast; easy enough of a fix:

wfN4tMU.png

Also, I wasn't sure what you meant about blue, but I tried replacing black with blue... I guess that red, blue, and silver has a touch of Alouettes/Expos/Canadiens synergy, which is always nice, but I can't put my finger on what looks off about it:

O9Y2a0k.png

Why, thank you! I hope they start recognizing the potential of the five-stripe format again, and I suspect no one has even begun to tap the possibilities for Atlanta-themed jerseys...

Thank you; always great to hear from a local! Glad that the MARTA one is well-received; I feel somewhat positively about Seattle's buses but I wasn't sure if that was the case for folks in Atlanta. Hope you've been enjoying the other entries of the series!

@QCS Thanks for all of your suggestions for lots of Charlotte-themed stuff; it's certainly some good inspiration!

You mention the heads face of the Mint's coins; I think that's a great idea, but I don't want to infringe on @kerlonmoura's excellent concept... As for the eagle, it'd be worth a shot (especially with the eagle from the Randolph), but I'm not great at shading on animals, so I might have to take a long time to do it.

In terms of the public art, I think that Il Grande Disco would make the basis for a beautiful alternate kit, so I might have to try that in the future.

I liked your Bank of America Tower suggestion and started looking into that a bit, but as I was looking at skyline pictures, I felt even more inspired by the design of the Duke Energy Center:

CrWmTSm.png    X3HC0E9.png

I don't know if that's a building Charlotteans (?) feel very attached to, but I thought it looked cool and worked well with the crown. Depending on what folks think about this, I might go back and try the BoA Tower or the Truist Tower or something altogether different. Still, I think it's a bit more exciting than before, so thank you for your encouragement and brainstorming help!

That’s exactly the blue I had in mind. You nailed it. What a stunning set! 

That FC Dallas logo is a thing of beauty. You rendered the pegasus well, I don't think there's anything else you could have done with the back leg. Using the bridge as the font inspiration is very creative as well.

Agree with @QCS on the green. It's a fun idea but doesn't fit into the overall look, at least on the crest. Still a solid secondary color on the clash.

On 7/20/2021 at 8:46 AM, Scot said:

That’s exactly the blue I had in mind. You nailed it. What a stunning set! 

Glad I could get it to a place you're happy about. Thanks for the comments!

On 7/19/2021 at 7:58 PM, QCS said:

Nothing really to say for Dallas, a solid kit with a nice design. The light green could come or go for me but I love the little nods you've added into the hoops.

Thank you; Dallas really ought to commit to their classic hoops look, but I feel that locking in to a basic design doesn't have to prevent some flair!

On 7/22/2021 at 12:16 PM, MDTrey4 said:

That FC Dallas logo is a thing of beauty. You rendered the pegasus well, I don't think there's anything else you could have done with the back leg. Using the bridge as the font inspiration is very creative as well.

Agree with @QCS on the green. It's a fun idea but doesn't fit into the overall look, at least on the crest. Still a solid secondary color on the clash.

I appreciate the kind words! The Burn logo was close, so I'm glad to hear that my attempt to bring it the rest of the way is well-received. Also, thanks for looking at the back leg; it was driving me crazy!

As for the green, I still prefer to keep it as a little shoutout to the Burn era, the city skyline, and Dallas's other teams, but here are some edits with silver (like the team does IRL) or with just RWB:

Q7nzL0o.png      nsGYubJ.png

Not bad by any means; just not my preference.

Also, to address @QCS's comment about Houston from a bit earlier:

Houston (Hexagon) - The logo is solid enough, but the lightning bolt doesn't really match with the in-line treatment of everything else.

iUAm3U2.png

Does this look any better?

Anways, thank you all for your feedback!

Rounding out the Cascadia trio, it's Vancouver:

KSoiWSC.png

I know the Whitecaps' current logo is genuinely really nice, but lately it's felt a bit stale to me (Is it the execution? The too thick lines with too thin outlines, or the boring font?) I try to freshen it up a bit, and add some retro callbacks (a running theme today) and a more explicit V-W monogram. (The wordmark is from the IRL NASL Whitecaps.)

The Whitecaps have returned to their iconic W/B/W + hoop look, and I say that should stay forever as the home look, but the 2015 home kit was also quite elegant, so I crossed the two to create one potential way to keep the fauxback look fresh.

The away is a take on the team's current away. The wave design is fine, and I know it's a city flag shoutout, but I think the simple sinusoidal waves have more history with the Sounders, so I changed it to match the NASL and USL logos' wave.

Finally, a third jersey, which is my attempt to spice up that black away that they had a couple years ago. I add a triangle tessellation that forms the nearby Lions peaks.

pKQR7uJ.png

Archived