MLS Concepts (Series Complete!)

vtgco

On 5/17/2021 at 7:42 PM, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

LAFC has a solid brand on its own, but you always take a step further and turn into something impressive. Also, the Chivas USA tribute kit is a nice nod to the Hispanic community who followed the team until their demise 7 years ago.

Thank you; I'm glad you think it's a step further and not "subtraction by addition," so to speak 😝

Yeah, my impression is that LAFC fans (at least online) seem to distance themselves from Chivas USA. Understandable since what I've heard about the team, its management, and its branding sound pretty underwhelming (at least after the fact, I started watching MLS in 2014). But you make a fair point, the Chivas USA fans themselves, if no one else, deserve a nod!

On 5/18/2021 at 5:41 AM, mcrosby said:

Premiere is such a great name. 

Thanks! Apparently Atlanta United considered "Premier Atlanta," but it fits better in LA, doesn't it?

I don't have a never-before-seen concept 100% ready today, but to celebrate Cascadia Day today, here's some Sounders jersey designs to hold you over!

agJ0Cwh.png

g0SsKPY.png

Folks probably recognize the logo as my first concept on these boards from a couple years ago. You can see those designs (including different jerseys with this logo) here.

However, these are new jerseys for you today! The home jersey is just a simple emerald green number with a wave design. The away and third are 1982 and 2006 fauxbacks, respectively. The teal away includes a pattern from the Seattle flag, while the blue third just includes a realistic water design. 

All of the jerseys promote the Puyallup Nation logo sponsorship from the IRL sleeve spot to the front, not because it's realistic but because it'd be freaking amazing.

Happy Cascadia Day to my fellow Pacific Northwesterners and I'll be back in not too long with an actual new concept!

• vtgco changed the title to MLS Concepts (LAFC rebrand, new Sounders jerseys added)
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not big into soccer uniforms, so I hadn't looked through this thread before, but you've done some excellent designs! New England, LA, and the first Houston design stand out as favourites for me.

Guest darkpiranha
23 hours ago, vtgco said:

Thank you! Sounds like the old Revs logo's influence came through in a good way 😀

And yeah, who knows what the Crew were thinking ditching that pleasant roundel logo they had.

Celebrating my Sounders' over them victory this weekend, here's a rebrand for LAFC:

Wg3HYF1.png

So obviously LAFC has a solid brand as-is, but just for the sake of removing a "Generic FC" name from the league, here's a movie-themed refresh under the name "Premiere LA."

The logo has a film reel outline and an art-deco spotlight pattern.

Even without a rebrand, I'd love to see LAFC do something a bit more exciting with their jerseys. The home jersey just plays on the art-deco pattern, inspired by those Colombia jerseys, with a sublimated zig-zag, LA-flag-reminiscent pattern.

The away is based on the Eastern Columbia Building, an art-deco tower in downtown LA. I'd like to see LAFC go for no white (since that's the Galaxy's color), both home and away, so seafoam green felt appropriate!

And for those commentators and anyone else who, for some reason, still thinks LAFC is the GOAT, this third jersey is for you 😝

WCwrmrT.png

All jokes aside, this still might be a good look, since LAFC technically has red as a supporting color in their official color scheme.

Let me know what you think!

I've seen a lot of good attempts at movie-fying an LA brand, but this is my favorite.  This should be the team name and look.  

That LA crest is fantastic. Personally I'm not a huge fan of the name 'Premiere' but that's just me - besides, its good to explore other options for the league.  There's nothing wrong with FC/SC but teams have to stand out, and maybe Premiere is the way to do it.

It also abbrivates well too. I can see headlines of "Prems win 3 in a row" - something that you can't really do with plain 'ol FC/SC.

On 5/18/2021 at 2:47 PM, jwinters said:

I'm not big into soccer uniforms, so I hadn't looked through this thread before, but you've done some excellent designs! New England, LA, and the first Houston design stand out as favourites for me.

Hey, thank you for checking it out! I'm glad you like them, and I'm pretty proud of those designs too, but it's kinda hard to pick favorites on my end :P

On 5/18/2021 at 7:00 PM, darkpiranha said:

I've seen a lot of good attempts at movie-fying an LA brand, but this is my favorite.  This should be the team name and look.  

Thanks! I'm honestly kinda surprised that, as far as I know, no real life team has really gone for it for a full time identity...

3 hours ago, DukeofChutney said:

That LA crest is fantastic. Personally I'm not a huge fan of the name 'Premiere' but that's just me - besides, its good to explore other options for the league.  There's nothing wrong with FC/SC but teams have to stand out, and maybe Premiere is the way to do it.

It also abbrivates well too. I can see headlines of "Prems win 3 in a row" - something that you can't really do with plain 'ol FC/SC.

Well fair enough, I doubt LAFC will change, but it's like you said, I'm just trying stuff out... And "Prems" would be an excellent nickname!

Sorry for the delayed response, everyone, I'm in the middle of some school assignments :S  But thanks for the kind words!

And now, it's the Colorado Rapids!

VvbiFGl.png

Colorado could probably just get away with a logo cleanup, but I think they could stand to actually have some rapids in their logo like they did in '96... So this is that. The font choice, Houschka Rounded, is meant to resemble the state license plate font.

The topographical map on the green away is nice enough that it deserves less subtlety and a spot on the home jersey, so my home incorporates them along with a Rapid swoosh thingy.

The away is a combo of the 2004 blue vertical stripes jersey and the state flag-inspired away design they had for a few years.

• vtgco changed the title to MLS Concepts (Colorado added)

Okay, moving on, here's the sorely-needed return of the Metrostars!

uMEu8rQ.png

So I had the idea a while ago for the Metrostars to use an NY logo, which would appear inside an eight-pointed star made up of M's for Metrostars. Of course Montreal had to come out of nowhere with that exact same idea for their rebrand! I couldn't bear to drop it entirely, so it remains as an alternate logo.

However, I made a new primary logo, inspired by @mcrosby's old Red Bulls concept. It uses the Empire State Building on top and a half-roundel thingy on the bottom sorta like the current NYRB logo. The eight-pointed star still makes a small appearance. (The wordmark is custom.)

Atlanta has stolen the red, black, & gold color scheme and the classic vertical stripes jersey design, so no more black, and the Metrostars' pinstripes and checkboards will have to pick up the slack.

I kinda have the unpopular opinion that the Red Bulls looked good in silver last year, so I kept that. The home design is just a bunch of skyscrapers made of squares (sorta inspired by this year's checkerboard) and some pinstripes.

The away is my attempt at a 1998 fauxback with no black in it.

C&C appreciated!

EDIT: Fixed oversaturated shade of red, per @DukeofChutney's comment. Original

• vtgco changed the title to MLS Concepts (Rapids & Metrostars added)

Loving that Rapids logo. I'd say that maybe the water part needs to show more motion, but at the same time, adding any more to that area might make it seem crowded. (Guess that's a proper 'on the fence' opinion!)

Just out of coincidence/side note - its a similar shape to one idea I had for the Glasgow Rocks re-brand - so I'm glad to see that I was going in the right direction. 

I'm not sure I'm sold on the bright red and yellow for the MetroStars in their logo alone, yet for the kit it works just fine. The checkerboard taxicab stripe is a great addition. And if they ever had a yellow alternate, I could see it working there too.

I always thought Metro FC would be a good way to bring back the old Metrostars brand since it's a good way to include New York and New Jersey without explicitly referencing either.  Either way, I like what you've done here.

17 hours ago, DukeofChutney said:

Wow I wasn't expecting to have any of my suggestions implemented. I feel honoured. :)

That newer shade of red works much better though.

Hey, it's an honor to me that you and others take the time to leave suggestions! I really appreciate the feedback, so I'd like to at least try some of people's suggestions if I have time... Plus it was no problem to switch the logo's red. Before it was a bit brighter/more saturated than the kit's red, like you said, so now it's just a tad darker!

On 5/25/2021 at 9:25 AM, DukeofChutney said:

Loving that Rapids logo. I'd say that maybe the water part needs to show more motion, but at the same time, adding any more to that area might make it seem crowded. (Guess that's a proper 'on the fence' opinion!)

I had the same thoughts. In some of my earlier drafts, there was more emphasis on the water's motion, but the overall logo composition had to be very different (and not very good...) Anyways, I just made a quick edit to the water that I think might help a bit without sacrificing too much cleanliness:

86ouSAg.png

I'll probably keep playing with it, but I'd take any advice I can get since water is hard...

Also, I look forward to seeing your logo concept, though I wonder why you chose this shape... Glasgow isn't mountainous, is it?

On 5/25/2021 at 9:25 AM, DukeofChutney said:

And if they ever had a yellow alternate, I could see it working there too.

Never thought of this, but it could be cool... Here's the away jersey recolored in yellow. Black trim would be nice for a taxi jersey but it'd be waaaay too Columbus, wouldn't it?

9qtR5UB.png

Maybe sometime less busy I could do some new designs to add a new away or a yellow third to the set.

On 5/25/2021 at 6:45 PM, NicDB said:

I always thought Metro FC would be a good way to bring back the old Metrostars brand since it's a good way to include New York and New Jersey without explicitly referencing either.  Either way, I like what you've done here.

Personally, I'd really prefer the team just go by New York or NY/NJ... Teams in the suburbs using the city's name doesn't bother me, and "Metrostars" is the best name option as-is, IMO.

But "Metro FC" would be palatable, and I think "FC Metrostar" or "Metrostar 96" would be a bit better. I think we shouldn't need European names to justify any decisions, but I guess they could be sorta like the Red Star teams of Belgrade, Paris, etc. Here's a quick logo mockup:

AWbAwS9.png       Db9wuM8.png    YNe6OOU.png

And just for the heck of it, the star logo with a Gotham FC-style NY/J.

f59IyUz.png

That revised Rapids logo works really well. Adds motion without clutter, and draws the eye towards the centre.

Guess you're right, black on the yellow would make it more like Columbus, but if there was red as well, it'd set it apart.

And, no you're right, Glasgow isn't very mountainous - they kept the Rocks nickname when the team moved from Edinburgh. Guess its basketball tradition (Lakers, Jazz etc). The Great Trossachs  Forrest National Nature Resevre is about 30mi near Glasgow, so that's my reasoning for going the mountainous route.

And I like the sound of FC Metrostar. Can't justify why, but I do. :D Only downside is the city name isn't present, but then that doesn't matter when the team becomes synonimous with its location (which is no mean feat).

20 hours ago, vtgco said:

Hey, it's an honor to me that you and others take the time to leave suggestions! I really appreciate the feedback, so I'd like to at least try some of people's suggestions if I have time... Plus it was no problem to switch the logo's red. Before it was a bit brighter/more saturated than the kit's red, like you said, so now it's just a tad darker!

I had the same thoughts. In some of my earlier drafts, there was more emphasis on the water's motion, but the overall logo composition had to be very different (and not very good...) Anyways, I just made a quick edit to the water that I think might help a bit without sacrificing too much cleanliness:

86ouSAg.png

I'll probably keep playing with it, but I'd take any advice I can get since water is hard...

Also, I look forward to seeing your logo concept, though I wonder why you chose this shape... Glasgow isn't mountainous, is it?

Never thought of this, but it could be cool... Here's the away jersey recolored in yellow. Black trim would be nice for a taxi jersey but it'd be waaaay too Columbus, wouldn't it?

9qtR5UB.png

Maybe sometime less busy I could do some new designs to add a new away or a yellow third to the set.

Personally, I'd really prefer the team just go by New York or NY/NJ... Teams in the suburbs using the city's name doesn't bother me, and "Metrostars" is the best name option as-is, IMO.

But "Metro FC" would be palatable, and I think "FC Metrostar" or "Metrostar 96" would be a bit better. I think we shouldn't need European names to justify any decisions, but I guess they could be sorta like the Red Star teams of Belgrade, Paris, etc. Here's a quick logo mockup:

AWbAwS9.png       Db9wuM8.png    YNe6OOU.png

And just for the heck of it, the star logo with a Gotham FC-style NY/J.

f59IyUz.png

Not gonna lie... I kinda dig Metrostar 96.

My preference for branding around "Metro" with no specific qualifiers has less to do with any personal preferences of mine and more to do with repairing the absolute mess NYRB has made with the fanbase for soccer in the NYC/NJ market.  

Branding yourself as New York when you play in the Meadowlands is one thing, but not Harrison/Newark.  Metro wouldn't alienate people in NJ who want to root for their own team, which is a market I'd try to corner since NYCFC has most of NYC itself.  But Metro would still appeal to Mets fans who don't want to root for a club so closely associated with the hated Yankees.

On 5/27/2021 at 5:23 PM, NicDB said:

Not gonna lie... I kinda dig Metrostar 96.

Yeah, I thought that name was fun... I don't have much of a horse in the race of New York area teams' territories, but I guess I'm just hesitant to ditch a team's location name altogether. I mean, I certainly felt a tad alienated when the Reign dropped "Seattle" (among other brand elements grounding the team in the Puget Sound region) but maybe that's different...

On 5/27/2021 at 1:48 AM, DukeofChutney said:

That revised Rapids logo works really well. Adds motion without clutter, and draws the eye towards the centre.

Oh, good! Glad you like it. Also, pictures of that Trossachs Forest look beautiful! Hopefully one day I'll get to check it out IRL, but I'll wait on your concept in the meantime 😜

-----------------------------

Next up is a rebrand for Salt Lake!

IbgGvSy.png

It might be too late for RSL to change their name IRL (the fans sound kinda attached to it), but I don't like it that much and I wanted to try something different.

I didn't want to use "Royals" in case the NWSL team ever returns, but I thought "Majestics" was ideal to keep the monarchic theme while also being more relevant to the region. Sorry if it breaks the Believe chant and stuff, but this is just for fun...

The logo stays pretty similar but combines the crown with some mountains. The monogram gets simplified, and a beehive appears below. The colors turn to more deserty shades. (The font is Orchidea Pro.)

The home jersey is a halved design inspired by the Spiral Jetty artwork nearby on the coast of the Great Salt Lake.

The away jersey, in the much-demanded yellow, is based on the new Salt Lake City flag.

Anyways, I'll be out of town for a week or so... I'll be back with a few more teams then! In the meantime, C&C and advice for the other teams are appreciated!

• vtgco changed the title to MLS Concepts (Salt Lake rebrand added)

the name majestics is indeed... majestic
i'm also a big fan of the color scheme (though i'm definitely biased toward earthy/muted colors) and paneling on the logo. somehow with all the stuff on there it doesn't seem like too much is going on

I haven't commented on this thread yet, but here we are now!

I just wanna say that I'm impressed with all the phenomenal kits and crests in here, and I love all the intensive details that you incorporate into the kits (even more detail than what I put!). I love all the subtle piano/guitar touches on the Nashville kits, and I really liked the nautical map of the Revs in particular. I really really like your Premiere LA rebrand and think that the teal Art Deco clash is hella classy; I was planning on doing a film-themed Burbank team for my CSL2 series, so I'll definitely make sure that my design won't skirt too close to yours 😂.

Amazing job on these, and I look forward to seeing how you take on San Jose!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2021 at 8:48 AM, TheGiantsFan said:

I haven't commented on this thread yet, but here we are now!

I just wanna say that I'm impressed with all the phenomenal kits and crests in here, and I love all the intensive details that you incorporate into the kits (even more detail than what I put!). I love all the subtle piano/guitar touches on the Nashville kits, and I really liked the nautical map of the Revs in particular. I really really like your Premiere LA rebrand and think that the teal Art Deco clash is hella classy; I was planning on doing a film-themed Burbank team for my CSL2 series, so I'll definitely make sure that my design won't skirt too close to yours 😂.

Amazing job on these, and I look forward to seeing how you take on San Jose!

Thanks for stopping by! It's quite nice to hear that the subtleties are appreciated. Played with some new Inkscape tools for that New England map kit, so glad you like it. I look forward to seeing your Burbank design, and hopefully my design in development for SJ will deliver!

On 6/4/2021 at 10:49 PM, curriedkits said:

the name majestics is indeed... majestic
i'm also a big fan of the color scheme (though i'm definitely biased toward earthy/muted colors) and paneling on the logo. somehow with all the stuff on there it doesn't seem like too much is going on

Welcome, and thank you for the comment! I'm glad you think the name and logo worked out. And there are surprisingly few earthy-colored teams, I guess.

On 6/5/2021 at 7:54 AM, DukeofChutney said:

That colour pallet for Salt Lake works really well. Keeps the feel of the current look without just being Barcalona (I think that's who their colours are modelled on).

And the mountian/crown motif is a brilliant move.

Yeah, wanted something a tad more uniquely Utahn (and possibly something that could go against Colorado's burgundy).

Thanks, I'm proud of that mountain/crown; the inspiration came from the '09 All-Star game logo.

----------------------------------

Anyways, after returning from my trip to experience the majesty of Utah for myself, I'm back with my next team, a tweak of the Philadelphia Union:

2FMCezQ.png

So the team's old secondary logo was great, so I pretty much just reworked the top of the shield into the shape of the Commodore Barry Bridge visible from the Union's stadium, and added the Philadelphia flag colors to the shield. (The font is the Union's actual font.)

Of course the home needed to bring back the center stripe. This one pretty much just adds the Liberty Bell crack and horizontal trim to it.

I like the current IRL away, but my take is pretty different. It's a design depicting the tower of Philadelphia City Hall as a subtler center stripe.

Thanks again for your comments!

• vtgco changed the title to MLS Concepts (Philadelphia added)

And now, Montreal:

JIegveD.png

So I actually think the new logo would be solid for a brand new Montreal team... but ditching the Impact brand was a big mistake, and the Club de Foot name is quite bad.

For my design, though, I undo most of the changes, but keep some small aspects of the roundel logo in an oval logo that recalls one of the Impact's USL-era logos and the roof of Stade Olympique. The stars represent now the Impact's 3 USL titles. (The font is Colus.)

The home jersey keeps as much of the feeling of the new CFMTL jersey as I could bear. The snowflakes are replaced with the city logo of Montreal, and the stripes are back, but the emphasis on black remains.

The Impact have history with pink aways, so I worked with that and incorporated a design based on their previous home jersey and the city's Olympic Torch.

Lmk what you think! Also, advice for future jerseys (for the Florida teams especially) would be appreciated.

• vtgco changed the title to MLS Concepts (Philadelphia & Montreal added)

That Impact logo works really well. Once again, your version is miles (or should that be KM?) better than the teams current logo.

I really like the use of the city logo in the home jersey. And the alternate gradiant is a nice touch.

As suggestion - only as a change for change sake, would be putting the provincial flag on the right sleeve and putting the fleur-de-lys in its place at the bottom of the jersey. But there's nothing wrong with the setup you've gone with. :)

Archived