MLS Concepts (Series Complete!)

vtgco

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/19/2021 at 7:41 AM, DukeofChutney said:

That Impact logo works really well. Once again, your version is miles (or should that be KM?) better than the teams current logo.

I really like the use of the city logo in the home jersey. And the alternate gradiant is a nice touch.

As suggestion - only as a change for change sake, would be putting the provincial flag on the right sleeve and putting the fleur-de-lys in its place at the bottom of the jersey. But there's nothing wrong with the setup you've gone with. :)

Thanks, glad you think the jersey turned out well!

Here's your flag patch suggestion:

Spoiler

AcIPMVZ.png

On 6/20/2021 at 9:55 PM, njdevs7 said:

That MTL logo is  fantastic. 

Thank you!

Next up is Orlando:5XUgARt.png

The Lions' IRL logo is already pretty nice, so I just change the shape to something a *tad* reminiscent of the Welcome to Orlando sign. (The font is Lemon Milk, which is surprisingly similar to the IRL OCSC font.)

The home jersey has a pattern based on the roof of Orlando City Stadium.

The away jersey is a fauxback to the USL Lions' 2014 red away kit, with a pinch of Florida flag in it, because I like flag kits and I like fauxbacks.

• vtgco changed the title to MLS Concepts (Orlando added)

I'm liking that flag insipired jersery. Connecting the saltire to the main colour of the jersey is a clever idea - makes it stand out more than if it was just a flag patch.

The incorporation of the roof pattern is brilliant too.

And thanks for doing a version of Montreal with the flags moved. I quite like it like that, but as I said before both versions are good.

On 6/21/2021 at 10:51 AM, DukeofChutney said:

I'm liking that flag insipired jersery. Connecting the saltire to the main colour of the jersey is a clever idea - makes it stand out more than if it was just a flag patch.

The incorporation of the roof pattern is brilliant too.

I wasn't sure about that home jersey pattern, so I'm relieved to hear you like it! And that saltire away jersey was fun to make too :)

--------------------------------------

Okay, here's another rebrand that I was excited about that was also sorta hampered by Montreal's new logo...

It's the return of the Toronto Blizzard:

0RCUHsG.png

TFC has both a boring name AND an underwhelming nickname ("Reds" could be from literally anywhere, right?) So I'm pulling a Clash-to-Earthquakes move to resurrect Toronto's historical team which lasted from 1971 to 1993.

Unfortunately, I don't think this rebrand could ever happen now that Montreal has a snowflake logo, but a guy can dream...

The logo includes elements of the current TFC logo, the Toronto flag, and the CN Tower. (The wordmark font is Beclave Bold.)

The home is a 1980 fauxback, and incorporates a design that combines a snowflake pattern and the current and historical Dufferin Gates that mark the entrance to Exhibition Park (the site of the team's stadium).

The away is an icy blue and white jersey that maps the different neighborhoods of Toronto.

And I'll be back shortly with a second take on Toronto that is a touch historical, entirely unaffected by Montreal, and truer to the team's current look...

• vtgco changed the title to MLS Concepts (Toronto v1 added)

I get that you wanted (and gave) them to have a unique nickname of their own, based from their previous franchise, but I can't help but preferring the simple, but elegant name of Toronto FC. I can accept Toronto SC, but it'll be taking a while before I can settle for a name like Blizzard.

On 8/25/2020 at 6:02 AM, vtgco said:

More MLS logo releases = more logo refreshes!

Charlotte's logo is okay, I suppose, but I wanted to do my take on the basic edits that others have done.

k8pdVij.png

I put the crown on top and focused on the monogram, as others have rightfully done, but I remove the fun but somewhat silly "Minted 2022" in favor of making the crest a ridged coin.

Speaking of coins, it's only appropriate that the Mint City sports the league's only quarter jersey. The subtle gradients reconcile the Panther blue with mint green. The dynamic checkerboard flag pattern represents Charlotte's role in motorsports history.

The away is a depiction of Romare Bearden Park in downtown Charlotte.

Please let me know what you think! I'll try to finish my take on the new St Louis design soon.

Sorry but that logo makes it seem as thought it screams Charlotte Lite.

St Louis id a major upgrade.

Houston second version is better than what they have now by far.

Chicago i would want if i was the owners.

Columbus with the big Hat is my favourite so far.

Not you, but far to many Soccer clubs trying to be European for no reason.

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

Regardless of if you call the team, that road jersey is .... so cool!

(sorry I saw the pun and had to go for it!😂)

The shades of blue and red work really well together too - and I like the addition of the blue striping on the underarm of the home jersey. Adds something different.

8 hours ago, DukeofChutney said:

Regardless of if you call the team, that road jersey is .... so cool!

(sorry I saw the pun and had to go for it!😂)

The shades of blue and red work really well together too - and I like the addition of the blue striping on the underarm of the home jersey. Adds something different.

Thanks! I'm glad the reception isn't too frosty 😝

The underarm stripe is part of the Blizzard fauxback design, and I haven't seen too many teams do it, so it needed a comeback somewhere!

14 hours ago, tigers said:

Sorry but that logo makes it seem as thought it screams Charlotte Lite.

St Louis id a major upgrade.

Houston second version is better than what they have now by far.

Chicago i would want if i was the owners.

Columbus with the big Hat is my favourite so far.

Not you, but far to many Soccer clubs trying to be European for no reason.

Thanks for the kind words; I'm glad to hear these are mostly upgrades (and that someone really likes the second version for Houston). I'm definitely trying to cut back on the European-style team names a bit, since I agree MLS has too many of them.

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean about Charlotte's logo being "Lite"... Would you clarify a bit, if you don't mind?

17 hours ago, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

I get that you wanted (and gave) them to have a unique nickname of their own, based from their previous franchise, but I can't help but preferring the simple, but elegant name of Toronto FC. I can accept Toronto SC, but it'll be taking a while before I can settle for a name like Blizzard.

Fair enough... Just a bit of a difference of opinion, I guess, but it's hard for me to appreciate the simplicity of "Toronto FC" when everyone and their dog is doing it, and the rest of the team's overall brand is a touch generic.

That said, it was easy enough to do a modified/genericized version of this Blizzard concept to work with just "Toronto FC:"

rWVO3Z5.png

Maybe it's still a tad more interesting than what they've got now, I dunno.

I'll be back with Toronto v2 soon!

3 hours ago, vtgco said:

Thanks! I'm glad the reception isn't too frosty 😝

The underarm stripe is part of the Blizzard fauxback design, and I haven't seen too many teams do it, so it needed a comeback somewhere!

Thanks for the kind words; I'm glad to hear these are mostly upgrades (and that someone really likes the second version for Houston). I'm definitely trying to cut back on the European-style team names a bit, since I agree MLS has too many of them.

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean about Charlotte's logo being "Lite"... Would you clarify a bit, if you don't mind?

Fair enough... Just a bit of a difference of opinion, I guess, but it's hard for me to appreciate the simplicity of "Toronto FC" when everyone and their dog is doing it, and the rest of the team's overall brand is a touch generic.

That said, it was easy enough to do a modified/genericized version of this Blizzard concept to work with just "Toronto FC:"

rWVO3Z5.png

Maybe it's still a tad more interesting than what they've got now, I dunno.

I'll be back with Toronto v2 soon!

Basically the CLT script to me makes it look like it's spelling out C LiTe

Also Blizzard is a prime example of not being Europeanesque.

On 6/27/2021 at 3:46 PM, tigers said:

Basically the CLT script to me makes it look like it's spelling out C LiTe

Also Blizzard is a prime example of not being Europeanesque.

Thanks for the clarification! I guess I can sorta see the "Lite" if I squint... While I didn't create the CLT monogram, I'm happy to attempt some minor tweaks:

WLIUAju.png

The leftmost one on the gray background is with the unmodified CLT monogram. I added some gaps for the next one, and then I tried some some bevels. I also attempted a "Queen City FC" QC monogram, and just a plain old coin version with no monograms.

Perhaps one of these is better... Or maybe I need to go the drawing board for something else to go in the roundel.

So here's a second take on Toronto that's much closer to their current brand.

p52Rpby.png

The logo is a simplified, roundel-free take on TFC's former academy logo, but I also wanted a nod to the 1967 NASL Toronto Falcons, so it's standing on an old-timey ball. The design could work for either a rebrand to the Falcons name or just using it as a nickname. I know the name's a tad generic, but it's better than "Reds," IMO, plus it's got history and there are peregrine falcons in Toronto, apparently. (The wordmark is a mix of the IRL TFC font and the similar Vibocentric.)

The home jersey has a pattern that incorporates a side view of the famous Toronto City Hall buildings.

The away jersey has a pattern based on the arch of the Humber Bay Arch Bridge.

Which Toronto design do you prefer? Let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions.

• vtgco changed the title to MLS Concepts (Toronto v2 added)
4 hours ago, vtgco said:

Thanks for the clarification! I guess I can sorta see the "Lite" if I squint... While I didn't create the CLT monogram, I'm happy to attempt some minor tweaks:

WLIUAju.png

The leftmost one on the gray background is with the unmodified CLT monogram. I added some gaps for the next one, and then I tried some some bevels. I also attempted a "Queen City FC" QC monogram, and just a plain old coin version with no monograms.

Perhaps one of these is better... Or maybe I need to go the drawing board for something else to go in the roundel.

I'm not saying what you created was not right, it's just the way it looks with the CLT wordmark.

Really like the CQ the last one, though it would lose the Roman Numerals or get mashed up if it went to small.

You have some great ideas i'll give you that.

On 6/30/2021 at 3:26 PM, tigers said:

I'm not saying what you created was not right, it's just the way it looks with the CLT wordmark.

Really like the CQ the last one, though it would lose the Roman Numerals or get mashed up if it went to small.

You have some great ideas i'll give you that.

Well, thanks for the feedback! Certainly you're right about it getting indistinct at small sizes; might have to think about it some more.

Next up is Minnesota:

YP7YeCb.png

So the Loons, IMO by far the prettiest brand in MLS, have a darn-near perfect logo, and I knew I wasn't gonna top it. However, the real thing does have a single problem—the floating application of the North Star—so I converted the crest to a Minnesota state shape to try to address it. I don't think I'd want it IRL, but hopefully I didn't 100% ruin the logo in the process! (I would rather keep the Loons' IRL font, Stratum, but this is the similar Rajdhani.)

I love the wing jersey motif and I don't actually want to see it leave, but I challenged myself to try going without it, so I did a design based on the spotted back of a loon for the home jersey.

The away jersey is an aurora borealis-themed jersey in green and black (like the '90s North Stars and Timberwolves.)

• vtgco changed the title to MLS Concepts (Minnesota added)

Your Minnesota set is absolutely stunning, especially the Aurora Borealis kit! The redesigned crest is still simple and subtle, and it certainly gives Minnesota a unique crest. I would suggest, however, that the NOB on the home kit be white instead of the light blue; I think it might stand out against the dark gray a little better.

The past few crests have been great, especially Montreal and the Toronto Blizzard. Your Orlando crest is a really tasteful take on a 3D crest, as it's pretty subtle and doesn't look forced. The clash kit for the Blizzard is a great take on that Etihad-style prism look, and it's really clever how the striping on the Orlando clash incorporates the Florida flag.

Nothing but great work as always! :)

On 7/2/2021 at 5:07 PM, WhitecapsForLife11 said:

Loving the update to the MNUFC logo.

Thanks, I'm glad you like it!

On 7/2/2021 at 5:19 PM, TheGiantsFan said:

Your Orlando crest is a really tasteful take on a 3D crest, as it's pretty subtle and doesn't look forced. The clash kit for the Blizzard is a great take on that Etihad-style prism look, and it's really clever how the striping on the Orlando clash incorporates the Florida flag.

Interesting that you thought of 3D for Orlando; here I was thinking it was a banner that hung below the sign 😛

Glad you like those jerseys.

On 7/2/2021 at 5:19 PM, TheGiantsFan said:

I would suggest, however, that the NOB on the home kit be white instead of the light blue; I think it might stand out against the dark gray a little better.

Huh, I didn't think that'd be a problem with the NASL-era dark gray that I used... I mostly thought the '17 MLS jersey was a really light shade of gray and thus encountered that problem.

Still, it's worth a shot, though I had to mess with the color balancing a bit:

Yf68nFm.png

And as usual, thanks for the comments! I appreciate it.

gtYQ9QS.png

So Inter Miami's logo is quite elegant, with my only uncertainties being the awkward full name and the herons' small size on a shield in a roundel. Basically, I just made the herons way bigger and put them in a random shape that I thought looked cool, while also getting some vertical text so it resembled one of Miami's many art deco signs. (The simpler font is from the team's IRL wordmark; the MIAMI text is custom.)

If Beckham & co. don't want a full-on pink jersey, they need to at least incorporate it more visibly. I just do my take on the oft-repeated palm tree vaporwave design on a white jersey with a hopefully sufficient level of pink.

The away is an asymmetrical, Floridians-esque tribute to the Calle 8 mosaic in Little Havana.

• vtgco changed the title to MLS Concepts (Miami added)

Next up, some designs to throw on a bonfire:

OkRgjKM.png

Credit where it's due, though: Portland's branding is basically untouchable, especially since they removed the text and switched from yellow to gold. Basically all I can do are some minor changes for change's sake.

The reintroduction of text and roundel is unnecessary but a bit of a retro touch, and I introduced some red rose petals for a tad of Thorns/Blazers synergy. (The font is modified Acetone.)

The home jersey is a callback to the chevron from their 2015 home jersey but incorporates a stylized St. John's Bridge / pinstripe design.

I like Rose City red or green & white hoops for Timbers away jerseys, but my design is something new and pretty self-explanatory.

C&C appreciated!

• vtgco changed the title to MLS Concepts (Portland added)
On 2021-06-18 at 7:53 PM, vtgco said:

And now, Montreal:

JIegveD.png

So I actually think the new logo would be solid for a brand new Montreal team... but ditching the Impact brand was a big mistake, and the Club de Foot name is quite bad.

For my design, though, I undo most of the changes, but keep some small aspects of the roundel logo in an oval logo that recalls one of the Impact's USL-era logos and the roof of Stade Olympique. The stars represent now the Impact's 3 USL titles.

The home jersey keeps as much of the feeling of the new CFMTL jersey as I could bear. The snowflakes are replaced with the city logo of Montreal, and the stripes are back, but the emphasis on black remains.

The Impact have history with pink aways, so I worked with that and incorporated a design based on their previous home jersey and the city's Olympic Torch.

Lmk what you think! Also, advice for future jerseys (for the Florida teams especially) would be appreciated.

That home jersey is incredible. I've been an Impact fan for 20 years, this is the rebrand we need. I love the Ville de Montréal logos on the home. If I could make one suggestion though, I'd move the flag to the back collar. It distracts from the pattern a little.

Archived