Jump to content

MLS Concepts (Vancouver added)


vtgco
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 8/29/2020 at 2:14 PM, kerlonmoura said:

Beautiful as always, great work!

Glad you like it!

On 8/30/2020 at 8:58 AM, jaytavo305 said:

The design you put into these is always incredible. Why doesn't the league take you to redesign the bland uniforms they have right now¬†ūü§£¬†Love what you did for the fire¬†

Thank you! Though I imagine that, as soon as a CCSLC board member gets in charge of design at Adidas, MLS would just switch manufacturers though :P

 

On 8/30/2020 at 5:14 PM, BigRed618 said:

Confluence seems like a bit of a mouthful to me, but that’s personal preference. I’m also wondering if the blue/red stripes might make them look too much like Atlanta?

Yeah, the name's slightly clunky but it fit the logo better, IMO. Plus it's the same syllable pattern as "St Louis Cardinals," so...

As for the design, I figured the Stars callback and the Cardinals-Blues color co-dominance were appropriate for St Louis. Also the blue shirt base & red shorts differentiate them ever-so slightly from Atlanta's ideal look, a red shirt base & black shorts.

That said, if you have some suggestions for tweaks to further distinguish them, I'm open.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay, soon Houston will be releasing a new logo, which has been leaked. It's not bad, IMO. The monogram is excellent, but the rest of the badge doesn't gel with it. Here's my spin on it:

H E X A G O N    I S     B E S T A G O N

EcNHsr9.png

I wanted to make more of the logo's design elements work together, as well as bring back the starburst motif from the original crest. Unfortunately, I could only do that by dropping the letter D, but I guess it's fine... Feedback there appreciated.

Given that the team is using an energy bolt, the new wordmark is a mashup of the current one with the lightning-y logo of the 1983-91 minor league Houston Dynamos. The font is modified Blocktastic.

 

As for the jerseys, the primary uses a subtle pattern based on the skylights of the Astrodome. The focus on more black from last season stays, but the use of white returns.

The away is inspired by the Space Shuttle Independence and the NASA 905 plane, which are displayed together at Independence Plaza in Houston.

 

Next up will be a second version inspired more closely by the original Dynamo logo. In the meantime, let me know what you think!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • vtgco changed the title to MLS Concepts: Houston v1 (2020-11-03)

Okay, here's my second logo concept for the Dynamo! I started this version first, before the leak, but I still think I prefer it over my hexagon version.

 

nrEbzIL.png

The logo merges the starburst from the original logo, a soccer ball, and an electric dynamo -- all-in-one! The wordmark worked for both versions, I think.

 

The home jersey is a solar system-like pattern orbiting around the city of Houston on a map of the Texas Gulf Coast.

Inspired by the 2020 Dash jersey, this away jersey is an all-round '70s Houston homage, with the Oilers' helmet stripe, Astros' tequila sunrise, Rockets' drop-shadows, and NASL Houston Hurricane's collar & side-panels. The design also incorporates the bridge at Allen's Landing in Downtown Houston.

 

C&C appreciated!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • vtgco changed the title to MLS Concepts: Houston v1 & v2 (2020-11-07)
8 hours ago, DukeofChutney said:

I agree, the hexagon one is better. Not saying that the second one is bad though. It reminds me of that drilling machine they used to excavate the Channel Tunnel for some reason.

Actually, I was saying I like the roundel one better than the hexagon... But you're right, it does look a bit like a tunnel boring machine, doesn't it? :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...

Okay, well, nothing seems to motivate me to continue this thread besides the continuing drip of terrible MLS rebrands...

...so of course the Columbus Crew had to go ahead and mess things up.

GK7vLUy.png

I actually had an Ohio-flag shaped Crew concept nearly done in November, but I never ended up posting it...

Now that we've seen the awkward C logo, I felt inspired to both finish the original concept and create a version that incorporates the C.

 

The design has some unique elements inspired by the civic landmarks seen on the Save the Crew logo.

The top of the logo is based on the Short North sign, which appears most explicitly on version 1.

The hardhat's front design is based on the windows of the LeVeque Tower.

 

And now for some quick jersey designs:

7j5fACL.png

The home is just a simple number I threw together based on the checkers and stripes of the 2015 logo. Still works, even with the update, IMO.

The away is based on this mural some local artists painted during this pandemic... They did a beautiful job; I'm just parroting it!

 

Well, what do people think? I definitely think this isn't as good as the 2015 logo, but hopefully it's better than what we just saw!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • vtgco changed the title to MLS Concepts (Columbus Crew added)
4 hours ago, vtgco said:

Okay, well, nothing seems to motivate me to continue this thread besides the continuing drip of terrible MLS rebrands...

...so of course the Columbus Crew had to go ahead and mess things up.

GK7vLUy.png

I actually had an Ohio-flag shaped Crew concept nearly done in November, but I never ended up posting it...

Now that we've seen the awkward C logo, I felt inspired to both finish the original concept and create a version that incorporates the C.

 

The design has some unique elements inspired by the civic landmarks seen on the Save the Crew logo.

The top of the logo is based on the Short North sign, which appears most explicitly on version 1.

The hardhat's front design is based on the windows of the LeVeque Tower.

 

And now for some quick jersey designs:

7j5fACL.png

The home is just a simple number I threw together based on the checkers and stripes of the 2015 logo. Still works, even with the update, IMO.

The away is based on this mural some local artists painted during this pandemic... They did a beautiful job; I'm just parroting it!

 

Well, what do people think? I definitely think this isn't as good as the 2015 logo, but hopefully it's better than what we just saw!

Simply superior.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, vtgco said:

Okay, well, nothing seems to motivate me to continue this thread besides the continuing drip of terrible MLS rebrands...

...so of course the Columbus Crew had to go ahead and mess things up.

GK7vLUy.png

I actually had an Ohio-flag shaped Crew concept nearly done in November, but I never ended up posting it...

Now that we've seen the awkward C logo, I felt inspired to both finish the original concept and create a version that incorporates the C.

 

The design has some unique elements inspired by the civic landmarks seen on the Save the Crew logo.

The top of the logo is based on the Short North sign, which appears most explicitly on version 1.

The hardhat's front design is based on the windows of the LeVeque Tower.

 

And now for some quick jersey designs:

7j5fACL.png

The home is just a simple number I threw together based on the checkers and stripes of the 2015 logo. Still works, even with the update, IMO.

The away is based on this mural some local artists painted during this pandemic... They did a beautiful job; I'm just parroting it!

 

Well, what do people think? I definitely think this isn't as good as the 2015 logo, but hopefully it's better than what we just saw!

 

Although I liked the previous crest, this is a thousand times better... even though that's not really saying too much, tbh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, seasaltvanilla said:

100% would take 2b over what they did today.

Thank you! Though I think many would take most anything else over that poor choice of design :P

 

17 hours ago, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

Simply superior.

Thanks for the kind words!

 

5 hours ago, 29texan said:

 

Although I liked the previous crest, this is a thousand times better... even though that's not really saying too much, tbh.

Glad you like it! Yeah, unfortunately the new IRL logo is a low bar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Im a huge fan of logo 1, I love the way the hardhat almost looks like it is wrapping around the entire crest. Attention to detail is again fantastic with the homage to the short north sign and the tower's windows, the window reference is so clever and tastefully done. Really nice work, its a shame that teams continue to trend in this minimalistic direction, my Internazionale fell victim to it as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, jaytavo305 said:

Im a huge fan of logo 1, I love the way the hardhat almost looks like it is wrapping around the entire crest. Attention to detail is again fantastic with the homage to the short north sign and the tower's windows, the window reference is so clever and tastefully done. Really nice work, its a shame that teams continue to trend in this minimalistic direction, my Internazionale fell victim to it as well. 

I'm very proud of that hard hat and its details, so I'm glad to hear you like it!

 

Yeah, the font on that new Inter logo feels a tad modern/stylized for such a¬†historic team... If it were up to me, they'd use the center of the 1998 logo¬†without the roundel around it, though¬†I don't know much about¬†European soccer so maybe it shouldn't be up to me¬†¬Į\_(„ÉĄ)_/¬Į

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think I'll try to finish some of my other unfinished MLS concepts this time around...

Here's my take on MLS's only original logo remaining, which I started on in November as well:

9sSkFv1.png

So I'm of the somewhat unpopular opinion that the Revs' logo isn't so bad and maybe should stick around since it's lasted as long as it has. That said I wanted to try something new that kept the simplified US flag shape/concept of the original.

 

This take puts a Revolutionary War cannon in the flag rather than a soccer ball, with a wheel with six spokes for the six states and 13 rivets like the Revolutionary flag. Hopefully it doesn't feel too Arsenal-y or Blue Jackets-y, but I think it feels like its own thing!

 

Unlike the real-life 2019 kit, I think my home jersey actually looks like a Revolutionary soldier uniform. Much like the Revs' 2016 kit (their best look, IMO) it pairs with white shorts and red trim.

The away uniform is my attempt at an old-timey nautical chart of the region's coastline complete with rhumblines and a compass rose.

 

C&C appreciated!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • vtgco changed the title to MLS Concepts (New England added)

That's a fantastic way to rebrand the Revolution. Keeps a toe in the teams logo past whilst finally giving them an update.

 

And the Crew rebrand is a thousand times better than what they've decided to go with. How that new look was given the go-ahead is beyond me. Its not like they were stuck with an ugly logo and outdated logo previously.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/15/2021 at 2:01 AM, DukeofChutney said:

That's a fantastic way to rebrand the Revolution. Keeps a toe in the teams logo past whilst finally giving them an update.

 

And the Crew rebrand is a thousand times better than what they've decided to go with. How that new look was given the go-ahead is beyond me. Its not like they were stuck with an ugly logo and outdated logo previously.

Thank you! Sounds like the old Revs logo's influence came through in a good way ūüėÄ

And yeah, who knows what the Crew were thinking ditching that pleasant roundel logo they had.

 

Celebrating my Sounders' victory over them this weekend, here's a rebrand for LAFC:

Wg3HYF1.png

So obviously LAFC has a solid brand as-is, but just for the sake of removing a "Generic FC" name from the league, here's a movie-themed refresh under the name "Premiere LA."

The logo has a film reel outline and an art-deco spotlight pattern.

 

Even without a rebrand, I'd love to see LAFC do something a bit more exciting with their jerseys. The home jersey just plays on the art-deco pattern, inspired by those Colombia jerseys, with a sublimated zig-zag, LA-flag-reminiscent pattern.

 

The away is based on the Eastern Columbia Building, an art-deco tower in downtown LA. I'd like to see LAFC go for no white (since that's the Galaxy's color), both home and away, so seafoam green felt appropriate!

 

And for those commentators and anyone else who, for some reason, still¬†thinks LAFC is the GOAT, this third jersey is for you ūüėĚ

WCwrmrT.png

All jokes aside, this still might be a good look, since LAFC technically has red as a supporting color in their official color scheme.

 

Let me know what you think!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • vtgco changed the title to MLS Concepts (LAFC rebrand added)
34 minutes ago, vtgco said:

Thank you! Sounds like the old Revs logo's influence came through in a good way ūüėÄ

And yeah, who knows what the Crew were thinking ditching that pleasant roundel logo they had.

 

Celebrating my Sounders' victory this weekend, here's a rebrand for LAFC:

Wg3HYF1.png

So obviously LAFC has a solid brand as-is, but just for the sake of removing a "Generic FC" name from the league, here's a movie-themed refresh under the name "Premiere LA."

The logo has a film reel outline and an art-deco spotlight pattern.

 

Even without a rebrand, I'd love to see LAFC do something a bit more exciting with their jerseys. The home jersey just plays on the art-deco pattern, inspired by those Colombia jerseys, with a sublimated zig-zag, LA-flag-reminiscent pattern.

 

The away is based on the Eastern Columbia Building, an art-deco tower in downtown LA. I'd like to see LAFC go for without white (since that's a Galaxy color), so seafoam green felt appropriate!

 

And for those commentators and anyone else who still¬†thinks LAFC is the GOAT, this third jersey is for you ūüėĚ

WCwrmrT.png

All jokes aside, this still might be a good look, since LAFC technically has red as a supporting color in their official color scheme.

 

Let me know what you think!

LAFC has a solid brand on its own, but you always take a step further and turn into something impressive. Also, the Chivas USA tribute kit is a nice nod to the Hispanic community who followed the team until their demise 7 years ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • vtgco changed the title to MLS Concepts (Vancouver added)
  • vtgco changed the title to MLS Concepts (Miami added)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.