Alouettes Kick-Off New Era With Revamped Logo, Uniforms

SportsLogos.Net News

On 2/2/2019 at 3:07 PM, the admiral said:

Did they plan this for a long time or did they just do it on a lark?

I see what you did there.

20 hours ago, jp1409 said:
On 2/3/2019 at 8:26 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The M logo. That is excellent.

The logo might be good but the way they use it on the helmet is awful...

While I certainly don't approve of a helmet-top logo in general, this clever design appears like a wing when viewed from the side.  So I'd say that its use on the helmet is very good.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

It’s not common to see a team brand designed with this type of approach. Take away the helmet, pennant, and other sports paraphernalia, and this could be a store, a fashion label, a restaurant/bar, an agency, etc. They might not be the first team to approach branding like this, but they might be the first to go all in on it, and I think there is a lot of success here. The uniforms are the most underwhelming piece compared to the rest of the work. I’m admittedly sad to see the iconic blue-white-red jersey design go away, but the brand extensions and the helmet are, in my opinion, the pieces that are going to live on and challenge the status quo of team branding into the future. The helmet, in particular, is really interesting in the way it gives you such a unique look from different angles (wings from the side, M from the front), while the logo itself straddles a nice line between monogram and bird. I hope they eventually get the perfect threads to complement the rest, but I’ve gotta hand it to the people who worked on this one; you’ve got the building blocks of something special here.

GEE You made me realize theres an M on the front of the helmet!

So you got a bird on top, wings on side and a M on the front of the helmet! I mean, hey, those guys and gals who created this are cool people, this thing rocks.

Overall, a very nice look. I love the helmets. The CFL has never had a helmet that featured wings or horns like the Eagles, Vikings and Rams in the NFL. The M logo on the the top gives the helmet "wings" on the sides like the Eagles. The bright red on navy doesn't get muddied up and the red facemasks make the look distinctive.

My only two critiques are:

1) Enough with the monochrome looks. Blue jersey/white pants at home, white jersey/blue pants on the road.

2) The blue numbers on the white jerseys should also have a red border.

1 hour ago, VancouverFan69 said:

The CFL has never had a helmet that featured wings or horns like the Eagles, Vikings and Rams in the NFL. The M logo on the the top gives the helmet "wings" on the sides like the Eagles. 

Actually, the Alouettes had wings on their helmets through parts of the 1950s and '60s, as shown here. (It says up to 1949 but that's an error -- it should read 1969.)

https://en.montrealalouettes.com/all-time-uniforms/ 

Here's a better rendition:

http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/6096/Montreal_Alouettes/1960/Helmet

if Juventus opened the door for lifestyle / sports crossover identities, the Als just kicked it off the hinges. seeing it all together now, im completely taken by the new logo and helmet. although i wish the facemask were blue, i'd probably put that helmet in my top 10 favorites of all-time right now. if you watch the video above, they'll mention how they placed the mark (bird/plane/M) on top to create this effect that the players are in formation— that will look most excellent pre-snap

the really interesting thing will be to see how the whole identity develops over time, because it is so of the moment and trendy. whats the next step for them?

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

27 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

if Juventus opened the door for lifestyle / sports crossover identities, the Als just kicked it off the hinges. seeing it all together now, im completely taken by the new logo and helmet. although i wish the facemask were blue, i'd probably put that helmet in my top 10 favorites of all-time right now. if you watch the video above, they'll mention how they placed the mark (bird/plane/M) on top to create this effect that the players are in formation— that will look most excellent pre-snap

the really interesting thing will be to see how the whole identity develops over time, because it is so of the moment and trendy. whats the next step for them?

Interesting to see around the 4:35 mark that they switched from red numbers on blue to white numbers on blue (visibility concerns?) and even seem to have taken promo photos of both versions. 

2 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

French-canadian airbnb. "My friends just booked a quaint chalet at mont-tremblant and had a fabulous holiday. Download Alouettes today."

n0uxpip8onijaufkntu9.jpg

40 minutes ago, guest23 said:

exactly the same contemporary design language...despite being a nice logo it will not age well.

This logo has far more of a connection with traditional design language (like something created between 1965-1985) than anything exclusively modern.

loremnotipsum_logoarchive_issue1_04.jpg

loremnotipsum_logoarchive_issue1_05.jpg

Even if that style has seen a renaissance recently in the corporate design world, we also know that certain sports logos designed in that era (I'm thinking of logos like the Philadelphia Flyers, Hartford Whalers, Buffalo Braves) have easily withstood the test of time, so why not design a logo in 2019 that clearly models the design style of something so successful?  I mean, half of the people I had seen were clamoring for the Als to return to one of these two logos, which are drawn in very similar styles:

a9148e4dc54350b112a3183fa2caee79--montre

27080372.png

The only part of this rebrand I'm not entirely buying is the block numerals on the uniforms. It doesn't really match anything else in the brand. I think a one color treatment of GT America Medium or Bold numerals would have pushed this entire concept a little bit further. 

8C8lTu6.png

EqO6u4a.png

Archived