Alouettes Kick-Off New Era With Revamped Logo, Uniforms

SportsLogos.Net News

1 hour ago, GFB said:

This logo has far more of a connection with traditional design language (like something created between 1965-1985) than anything exclusively modern.

loremnotipsum_logoarchive_issue1_04.jpg

loremnotipsum_logoarchive_issue1_05.jpg

Even if that style has seen a renaissance recently in the corporate design world, we also know that certain sports logos designed in that era (I'm thinking of logos like the Philadelphia Flyers, Hartford Whalers, Buffalo Braves) have easily withstood the test of time, so why not design a logo in 2019 that clearly models the design style of something so successful?  I mean, half of the people I had seen were clamoring for the Als to return to one of these two logos, which are drawn in very similar styles:

a9148e4dc54350b112a3183fa2caee79--montre

27080372.png

I agree with what you are saying but they went too far and created a generic corporate logo that is reminiscent of a travel app and not a football team. This is much like the dolphins adopting their "premium branding" which stripped all of the character and history out of their logo making it indistinguishable from a south florida travel agency. While the al's logo attempts to bridge the club's history, I don't think it has anywhere near the charm that the retro logos have which will make it bland forgettable in a short amount of time.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, guest23 said:

I agree with what you are saying but they went too far and created a generic corporate logo that is reminiscent of a travel app and not a football team. This is much like the dolphins adopting their "premium branding" which stripped all of the character and history out of their logo making it indistinguishable from a south florida travel agency. While the al's logo attempts to bridge the club's history, I don't think it has anywhere near the charm that the retro logos have which will make it bland forgettable in a short amount of time.

Abstract concepts like “character” or “charm” are often dependent upon the observer... If you feel that way, I probably can’t sway your opinion right now; but I think in time those things can develop in your mind.

Good design has a tendency to grow on people, and while you might not be a fan of the chosen direction for this rebranding, I don’t think anyone can say that this was poorly executed.

2 hours ago, GFB said:

Abstract concepts like “character” or “charm” are often dependent upon the observer... If you feel that way, I probably can’t sway your opinion right now; but I think in time those things can develop in your mind.

Good design has a tendency to grow on people, and while you might not be a fan of the chosen direction for this rebranding, I don’t think anyone can say that this was poorly executed.

I think the logo was perfectly executed. I really like the design from the pure perspective of graphic design and creative strategy. I also see it as a bit trendy and inorganic which I believe will shorten the shelf life. If this was an expansion team or had they gone with this identity when the franchise was reborn I think it would have more staying power.

The helmet is growing on me, just a little bit.

The Philadelphia Eagles have their thing with the bird wings across the front area of the mask. The Als have the overhead silhouette. I think it's neat to have a new team do their own take on the helmet bird. It's similar, but also different.

The logo is simple, well done, modern, but gives out old school vibes as well. The navy and red was the right color combo for this.

The uniforms kept a few of the traditional elements that the old ones had, but everything's been massively simplified. And I honestly think it's well done cause it's a fresh new take on the classic Alouettes jerseys, kind of. I've heard some criticisms but I don't hate it. It's certainly better than some of the horrendous templates I've seen in the NFL for several teams rebrands before.

What I'm wondering is the possibility of that logo being versatile color-wise, meaning maybe down the line they could color the logo navy on a red background for example. Or white or red on another background, maybe with or without the outline.

7 hours ago, guest23 said:

exactly the same contemporary design language...despite being a nice logo it will not age well.

Airbnb is contemporary design language. Montréal’s identity is 100% rooted in mid-century design language. Looking at how the Airbnb identity is applied across the company’s consumer touch points, there couldn’t be less overlap between the two brands. Airbnb is purposefully designed with no edge; to be warm and inviting. Montréal, on the other hand is all edge, designed to be provocative and unapologetically bold.

I was also talking with Brandon a bit about this, and I think one of the best things about it is its flexibility. If those trends die, this could very seamlessly evolve away from the outlines/uncomfortably bold blue and red look into something more traditional like a white helmet with a solid red bird and a return of the white shoulder loops and red sleeves.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

Airbnb is contemporary design language. Montréal’s identity is 100% rooted in mid-century design language. Looking at how the Airbnb identity is applied across the company’s consumer touch points, there couldn’t be less overlap between the two brands. Airbnb is purposefully designed with no edge; to be warm and inviting. Montréal, on the other hand is all edge, designed to be provocative and unapologetically bold.

I was also talking with Brandon a bit about this, and I think one of the best things about it is its flexibility. If those trends die, this could very seamlessly evolve away from the outlines/uncomfortably bold blue and red look into something more traditional like a white helmet with a solid red bird and a return of the white shoulder loops and red sleeves.

In case you haven't been paying attention mid-century modern has been a major contemporary design influence for almost 10 years now. You can argue the difference in the minutiae between hard/soft edges all you want but there's a legitimate case to be made that the als logo will be grouped into the design era when everyone was optimizing their logos for ios and VC funding. That's my unapologetically bold take.

11 hours ago, guest23 said:

In case you haven't been paying attention mid-century modern has been a major contemporary design influence for almost 10 years now.

Wow. You’re right. I must not have been paying attention to the design industry over the last ten years. 🙃

Anyway, my point is that while both represent current trends, they are decidedly not cut from the same cloth and have little or no similarity in visual or emotional terms. Furthermore, one is based in a design movement that has a timeless longevity. The other, well, let’s just say I don’t think too many designers in 2050 are going to be buying a reissued hardcover of the Airbnb style guide for their bookshelves.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

Wow. You’re right. I must not have been paying attention to the design industry over the last ten years. 🙃

Anyway, my point is that while both represent current trends, they are decidedly not cut from the same cloth and have little or no similarity in visual or emotional terms. Furthermore, one is based in a design movement that has a timeless longevity. The other, well, let’s just say I don’t think too many designers in 2050 are going to be buying a reissued hardcover of the Airbnb style guide for their bookshelves.

From a pop culture critique perspective, both logos will be labeled as products of the late 2010's era of design much like how we critique many other logo trends as being byproducts of a particular era that they were designed in. The graphic design pros can split hairs all they want about angles and edges because that's a niche field and part of the profession.  I'm ready to preorder that corporate logo retrospective in hardcover highlighting nuances of the unapologetic boldness that took the graphic design world by storm as the late '10s made way into the '20s. 

Reading interesting  things here probably posted by people working in the industry, very instructive.

You see theres something else which have not been mentioned. Or I think it havent. This logo is sort of omnibus, I mean, while it represents a football team, named the Alouettes, its not say, ONLY football themed, say like the NY Jets.

This means,  and I believe they are shoothing this way, you could offer your girlfriend a MTL Alouettes shirt, no matter your loved one doesnt like football, and I mean, she could very well find the design attractive and wear it on parties or whatever.

The logo here is a stylish bird with a M. Montreals wording could very well mean I am a montrealer, sort of.

Its very mixed, very unique, were finally away from cartoon logos, or Letters with decorations.

Will it grow old nice? I dunno. Certainly, its fresh, and yes they took a risk.

8 hours ago, guest23 said:

From a pop culture critique perspective, both logos will be labeled as products of the late 2010's era of design much like how we critique many other logo trends as being byproducts of a particular era that they were designed in. The graphic design pros can split hairs all they want about angles and edges because that's a niche field and part of the profession.  I'm ready to preorder that corporate logo retrospective in hardcover highlighting nuances of the unapologetic boldness that took the graphic design world by storm as the late '10s made way into the '20s. 

Yeah. I’ll order it, too, but I’ll bet you $100 Airbnb won’t be one of the case studies in it.

Also, I wasn’t talking about “edge” in the physical sense. It was a synonym for the bold, provocative design language that is present in Montréal’s mid century revival but absent from the Airbnb identity.

Archived