FightingGoldenDevil

United States Football Association: 1925 season and Championship game

Welcome to the USFA, a league that will take the place of the NFL in this alternate timeline. MMyNVAE.png

This series will start in 1920 when the NFL would have formed. I'm starting that early because I'm using gimp and want to improve my skills with more crude age appropriate logos and hopefully track my progression as the decades go on

The first two of the original 8 will be Minneapolis and Chicago tonight or tomorrow

Can't wait to see the teams. :)

5 minutes ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

Welcome to the USFA, a league that will take the place of the NFL in this alternate timeline. MMyNVAE.png

This series will start in 1920 when the NFL would have formed. I'm starting that early because I'm using gimp and want to improve my skills with more crude age appropriate logos and hopefully track my progression as the decades go on

The first two of the original 8 will be Minneapolis and Chicago tonight or tomorrow

Nice job so far.

Keep in mind that logo systems for conferences, postseason and championship games weren't really a thing till the 1970's. So don't worry about that stuff just yet.

Really excited to see where this goes! I presume it will begin in the Midwest with Minneapolis and Chicago being named as the first teams, I'll definitely be following this thread closely!

Waiting until expansion heads southwards...

Also, calling it now, Indy will have the "Packers" small team of this universe

18 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

Excited! Will you be going in depth similar to @Veras‘s AFA series?

I was heavily inspired by him to do this project so I'm sure as heck going to try and create that kind of depth and lore

Starting in the Westernmost part of the Association is the Minneapolis Maroons owned by Olaf Kvistad II, son of Norwegian immigrants and a higher up at Pillsbury. He got the idea for the color from the local University of Minnesota and named the team after the jerseys he had his wife personally stitch to save costs. The team plays in Nicollett Ballpark, home of the AA Millers.

CwU5Z2N.pngTvChDV1.png

Chicago will come out soon, just fleshing out the backstory.

What do you guys think?

Minneapolis looks good, any particular reason the logo on the jersey is different than the official logo?

16 minutes ago, Section30 said:

Minneapolis looks good, any particular reason the logo on the jersey is different than the official logo?

The wife, Margaret, forgot to put on the pointed parts in the middle but the official logo was already made and sent to the headquarters

Playing in Wrigley Field is the Italian Football Club of Chicago, unofficially nicknamed the Italians. Operated by Giovanni Colombo, the Club is funded by donations from local Italian Catholic parishes and only fields players from said parishes. Unfortunately the second wave of the Ku Klux Klan is starting to gain steam in the north and actively protests games and harasses fans. This hasn't caused too much trouble but police presence is a must at games

PsxQmPp.png

The logo bears the Chicago Cubs wishbone c in gratitude for allowing them to play at Wrigley Field after other sites turned them down. Across the top reads IFC for Italian Football Club. uiojBbY.png

The uniform is green and red for the colors of the Italian flag with a wishbone C that is strangely missing it's point despite the fact that the seal has it.

Feedback is much appreciated. I'll try my best to get the next two teams done by Friday.

The Chicago Italians look great. only thing i would change is the C on the chest of the uniform? Really hard to see the logo to be honest. Maybe have a outline on the outside of the logo to make it easier to see it.

Other then that , it looks perfect. Also like the backstories you giving to the teams. :)

On 2/6/2019 at 8:27 PM, Matthew24 said:

The Chicago Italians look great. only thing i would change is the C on the chest of the uniform? Really hard to see the logo to be honest. Maybe have a outline on the outside of the logo to make it easier to see it.

Other then that , it looks perfect. Also like the backstories you giving to the teams. :)

I was thinking how in the 20s a lot of teams didn't even have numbers or logos on their jerseys that a lot of logos wouldn't be outlined since sports branding was in it's infancy. But you are right that it looks better with an outline, gives me MN Wild vibes. 

cQO44LT.png

37 minutes ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

I was thinking how in the 20s a lot of teams didn't even have numbers or logos on their jerseys that a lot of logos wouldn't be outlined since sports branding was in it's infancy. But you are right that it looks better with an outline, gives me MN Wild vibes. cQO44LT.png

I thought it looked better without tbh. The green and red are dark enough. I’d remove the outline for now and add it back in the future if this team sticks around. Are you planning on adding logos to every jerseys in this first year?

7 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

I thought it looked better without tbh. The green and red are dark enough. I’d remove the outline for now and add it back in the future if this team sticks around. Are you planning on adding logos to every jerseys in this first year?

I'll do sans outline for now. Not every team will have a logo on their uniform in the 20s

Playing on Washington Baseball park are the Indianapolis Speeders. Owned by autoparts tycoon and founder of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Carl G. Fisher, the club takes on it's name by specifically scouting the fastest players in the nation. I made the logo by tracing a 1920 motor speedway car on GIMP mobile. Not 100% happy with how it looks but it could pass for a 20s logoByt1UB6.pngk9vpbBs.png

The uniforms turned out far nicer with a bold "INDY" across the chest.

If you have any feedback on how I could fix up the logo on mobile (my laptop went to crap so I need to save up for a new one) it would be very appreciated

Next up are the Cleveland Buckeyes

So we have Chicago, Minneapolis, Indy, Cleveland...any hints on the other 4?

Round the lines making the whole car more cylindrical. Id also try cleaning up and making the line weight more consistent. Mobile leads me to believe you made this with your fingers. Which would be really hard to make. I’d try a stylus if there is one you can get. You can PM me and I can give you some more pointers if ya need help

8 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

Round the lines making the whole car more cylindrical. Id also try cleaning up and making the line weight more consistent. Mobile leads me to believe you made this with your fingers. Which would be really hard to make. I’d try a stylus if there is one you can get. You can PM me and I can give you some more pointers if ya need help

You're right that I've been using my finger. Minnesota is in a huge blizzard rn so I'm not able to get a stylus. I used the tools I could in GIMP to clean it up and I think it's the best I'll get for awhile. nlOSsGt.png

Representing Cleveland are the Buckeyes. Playing in league ballpark with the Indians, the team is owned by John H. Ward, steel magnate and proud Ohioan. Ward wanted his team to stand out so he bought expensive red and white striped jerseys with blue on the top. Ward is easily the richest owner in the league and has the most talent at his disposal with his connections to Ohio State and Michigan.

v0GrpHr.pngThe logo is a buckeye mimicking the symbol on the state flag

vCJ9tYj.png

The flashy uniforms were made to distinguish themselves from the rest of the league.

Philadelphia and New York are up next