FightingGoldenDevil

United States Football Association: 1925 season and Championship game

37 minutes ago, Tyrano123 said:

You ever though about doing sort of a final season standings graphic to put out? Never been a big fan of people just typing out results

Nothing too flashy. Looks like it could be from the 1920s nGbfvDY.png

1 hour ago, TheYellowWolfMC said:

Toledo is relocating to St Louis!!

Based on their bio stating that they were the cheapest team in the league (and poor on-field play) if anyone were to relocated after season 1, it would be Philadelphia.

But it is way too soon for that. Besides, I think Toledo will stick around for a long time as the token "small market" team. 

41 minutes ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

I'm sorry is this is a dumb question, but how do you change the name of a topic you made? I'm going to start off-season news and I don't want the title to still say welcome

You can edit it in the original post

39 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

You can edit it in the original post

Thanks for that 

1920-21 Off-season headlines

Philadelphia almost forced to leave association: Following comments made anonymously by players after the Keystones 0-7-0 season, the Association held a vote at the off-season meeting to remove Philadelphia from the association. The rules were that 7 of the 8 teams would need to vote in favor of removal for the team to be kicked out. After the secret ballot was tallied it was revealed that 6 teams voted in favor of the removal. Ben Shibe refused to comment on the issue.

Championship debate heats up: An open discussion was held at the off-season meeting about the possibility of a championship game. Naturally Henry van der Kleij lead the faction of teams that supported such a move and John H. Ward opposed it. The discussion caused the meeting to end early after a full shouting match broke out. Ward yelled "Real champions don't need a glorified game to reaffirm that they're the best!" To which the Duke responded "For someone who sells steel, you have a backbone of paper maché!" No vote was held.

Minneapolis signs giant to anchor defense: The most notable signing this off-season was Karl Olafsson by the Minneapolis Maroons. Olaffson played for Hamline University in St. Paul and anchored a Pipers defense that allowed 6 total points in the 1920 season. Standing at a towering 6'5 260 pounds, Olafsson is one of the largest men in the entire association.

No uniform or branding changes yet

Make your predictions for the 1921 season now

USFA 1921 Season

Dukes and Tigers beat Big Money Buckeyes

The New York Dukes found themselves at odds with the Cleveland Buckeyes at the end of last season. Owners Henry van der Kleij and John H. Ward exchanged harsh words over both Ward's vast pool of wealth "polluting" the spirit of the game and his opposition to a championship game to decide the association champions. It seems like the Dutch Duke got the last laugh this season as New York trounced Cleveland 35-20 in a week 5 barnburner at Polo Grounds. The Dukes ran two reverse sweeps to speedster Marvin Gay for 90 and 76 yard touchdowns. The Buckeyes were shut out two weeks later at home in a 17-0 loss to in-state rival Toledo Tigers. Tigers coach Harold Forsythe said after the game "Money can buy players, but it sure as heck can't coach them."

The Norwegian Giant dominates offensive lines all season

Karl Olaffson, a Minnesota native and graduate of Hamline University, lead Minneapolis to the leagues most dominant defense. The most points Minneapolis allowed in a game this season was 19 to the New York Dukes. No other team scored more than 10 against them. Olaffson's finest performance came against the Toledo Tigers in week 2. With the game tied at 6-6 with a minute left, Toledo found themselves first and goal from the 8. The game seemed lost. Coaching legend Harold Forsythe could get any team to score in this situation. Or so it seemed. On first down QB William James handed of to HB Abe Johnson to the left. *SMACK* Olaffson was right there for a 3 yard loss. Second down Olaffson tackled James as soon as the ball was snapped for a one yard loss. Third down, James takes the snap, steps back to pass, has a TE open in the end zone, throws it, and it's swatted down by Olaffson. The Tigers would try for a field goal but it was blocked by Maroon players stacked up on each other. The game would end in a 6-6 tie.

Indy-Chicago game called off after anti-catholic demonstrations

A week two game between the Speeders and Italian Football Club had to be called off after a KKK rally blocked entrance into Washington Park in Indianapolis. Indiana being the heartland of the new Klan in the north wasn't going to allow a Catholic team to play in Indianapolis. The game was cancelled and went on record as a tie.

A's and Keystones owner, Ben Shibe is hospitalized

Benjamin Franklin Shibe, famous owner of the Philadelphia Athletics of the MLB, has been hospitalized due to complications from a car accident he was in in 1920. Should anything happen to Shibe, his sons will take over the team that has yet to win a single game in it's two year existence.

reoWtX8.png

The New York Dukes have been unanimously voted 1921 USFA Champions

Congrats Dukes!

I've been having a lot of fun with this. If you have any questions or suggestions please let me know. The off-season meeting will be soon and there will be at least one change in branding

50 minutes ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

I've been having a lot of fun with this. If you have any questions or suggestions please let me know. The off-season meeting will be soon and there will be at least one change in branding

When’s the first expansion? In real life a bunch of the inaugural teams relocated and folded, will you be flipping in and out of teams like real life?

26 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

When’s the first expansion? In real life a bunch of the inaugural teams relocated and folded, will you be flipping in and out of teams like real life?

I've been debating just how much relocating and folding will happen. I already have a storyline for 3 teams to move/fold. I'll tell you right now that one team is folding this off-season. I'll cover expansion in the off-season as well

Please just don't expand too fast. Some of these other concepts get watered down by expanding too quickly that they can't maintain the workload of having multiple teams so fast. 

I'm expecting Philly to either fold or move after this year, back to back no win seasons plus almost getting the boot after last year.

So in this alternate universe, the USFA uses a two-platoon system instead of the one-platoon system the NFL used in its early days. Plus the entire season is basically a round-robin tournament, where each team plays the other 7 teams once.

Meanwhile, after going 0-14 in their first 2 seasons, it's very clear that the Philadelphia Keystones have failed miserably. There's absolutely no point in keeping the 'Stones in Philadelphia, let alone in this league. I say that the 'Stones should fold outright. And if they do fold, will there be a dispersal draft?

14 hours ago, JH42XCC said:

So in this alternate universe, the USFA uses a two-platoon system instead of the one-platoon system the NFL used in its early days. Plus the entire season is basically a round-robin tournament, where each team plays the other 7 teams once.

Meanwhile, after going 0-14 in their first 2 seasons, it's very clear that the Philadelphia Keystones have failed miserably. There's absolutely no point in keeping the 'Stones in Philadelphia, let alone in this league. I say that the 'Stones should fold outright. And if they do fold, will there be a dispersal draft?

I specifically made it round Robin until I do divisions to make it easier on me to simulate and keep consistency. The platoon systems were something I completely forgot about when making this. I've concluded that it varies by team. Some teams with richer owners have bigger rosters and do more of the two-platoon, middle of the pack teams have more iron man athletes but some have specific roles, and poorer more community based teams like Chicago and Toledo do a one platoon system for the most part. That will change when the association becomes more organized and roster minimums and maximums form  later. As far as the dispersal draft goes, there won't be a draft of any form until the 30s. Everyone is picked up as a free agent essentially.

USFA 1922 Owners/Coaches off-season meeting

Keystones owner passes away, heirs fold franchise

Ben Shibe, owner of the Philadelphia A's and Keystones, passed away on January 14th, a few days prior to the association meeting in Cincinnati. The success of the A's and the guidance of Connie Mack have kept them afloat but there is no such stability in the Keystones organization. Ben's sons have folded the franchise that went winless in it's two years in the association.

Van der Kleij and Ward compromise on a championship game

The two most powerful men in the association may hate each other, but they still love the game of football and want it to succeed. The two men came to a compromise that will split the association into two different associations, the Eastern Football Association and Western Football Association in 1926 following a steady expansion to 12 teams. After the expansion and split, the two associations will vote on a champion to play against each other. The association will renamed itself to clear any confusion that would come from having two associations in one association. The expansion committee will hear cases in February of 1922 and John Ward has already contacted some of his friends, to Van der Kleij's dismay.

Hmm that's a lot of teams to get added, I wonder how the EFA and the WFA will be split

1 minute ago, Darknes said:

Hmm that's a lot of teams to get added, I wonder how the EFA and the WFA will be split

Very likely, the EFA and WFA teams don't meet until the championship game.

Also, the teams in each league would have to be geographically tight for ease of rail travel.