FightingGoldenDevil

United States Football Association: 1925 season and Championship game

Recommended Posts

So now that the Keystones have folded, who will replace them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2019 at 5:12 PM, JH42XCC said:

So now that the Keystones have folded, who will replace them?

The Keystones failure put a bad taste in Philadelphia's mouth when it comes to pro football so the USFA went with an already established market to fill the gap. With the Italian Football Club of Chicago only having Catholic Italian players, it wasn't drawing crowds fitting for the second largest city in the nation. To draw on those alienated by the club, the association gave a franchise to Richard Smith, electronics manufacturer and probable bootlegger. 

 

Smith wanted a team name in direct contrast with how exclusive IFC is. So he chose the name Cosmopolites. Drawing from the fact that Chicago is a cosmopolitan city, Smith believes the name will bring "crowds from all creeds, races, and religions cheering for Chicago."

 

tXyoA86.pngThe logo font is Sancreek-Regular. The colors are navy and gold taken from Smith's alma mater, Michigan.

l65q9to.jpg

 

I know the name sounds silly but I think it fits with the time and will be shortened to Cosmos later on.

 

I'll take votes for the next 4 markets soon once I have bids in order

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Des Moines, Iowa

2. Milwaukee, Wisconsin

3. Hartford, Connecticut

4. Buffalo, New York

 (In that order)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, TargetToad said:

1. Des Moines, Iowa

2. Milwaukee, Wisconsin

3. Hartford, Connecticut

4. Buffalo, New York

 (In that order)

 

5 minutes ago, TheYellowWolfMC said:

1. Milwaukee

2. St Louis

3. Washington, DC

4. Providence, RI 

(Order doesn't matter) 

I should have been more clear. I'll make the bids then get votes on them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Expand to where you want. You don't need to do a vote. But since you're asking:

1. Milwaukee

2. Washington

3. Cincinnati

4. Hartford

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are the bids in no particular order and what association they would most likely be in

 

Bid 1: Philadelphia, PA

Even though the Keystones flamed out, the association is hoping that by 24 or 26, the city will be willing to take another shot at pro football. Local politician G.H Laremy is the most likely owner

 

Bid 2: St. Louis, MO

St. Louis would be on the outskirts of the league, making a scheduling difficulty. Nevertheless, it's population and various connections to current owners make it enticing.

 

Bid 3: Buffalo, NY

Buffalo would bring pro football to upper New York. The associations concern is that the lake effect will cut seasons short, making Buffalo a less attractive prospect. Despite that, Henry van der Kleij is pushing for one of John H. Ward's rivals to get the franchise.

 

Bid 4: Washington, DC

Washington seems ripe for professional football. Fixed between Maryland and Virginia, it could conceivably attract fans from those two states and West Virginia. Finding a prospective owner has been tough though.

 

Bid 5: St. Paul, MN

This one is more promising than it sounds. The Hamm's beer company (making pops and other various soft drinks during prohibition) wants a team in St. Paul to rival the Maroons. The Hamm family is willing to sink a lot of money into the team. This offer is almost too hard to ignore.

 

Bid 6: Milwaukee, WI

Milwaukee is hungry for football. After various prospective owners attempted to buy teams, it seems that football is going to work in Wisconsin.

 

Bid 7: Hartford, CT

No one could find a willing, stable owner in Boston so the association is turning to Hartford for a team in New England. The various insurance companies are making it more and more likely they'll land a team.

 

These are the bids. I'll take what you guys think into account

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Disappointed to see no Cincinnati. 

But my votes are as follows;

St. Louis

Philadelphia

St.Paul/Minneapolis

Milwaukee

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

 

I should have been more clear. I'll make the bids then get votes on them

It wasn't a vote, just a muse.

1 hour ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

Here are the bids in no particular order and what association they would most likely be in

 

Bid 1: Philadelphia, PA

Even though the Keystones flamed out, the association is hoping that by 24 or 26, the city will be willing to take another shot at pro football. Local politician G.H Laremy is the most likely owner

 

Bid 2: St. Louis, MO

St. Louis would be on the outskirts of the league, making a scheduling difficulty. Nevertheless, it's population and various connections to current owners make it enticing.

 

Bid 3: Buffalo, NY

Buffalo would bring pro football to upper New York. The associations concern is that the lake effect will cut seasons short, making Buffalo a less attractive prospect. Despite that, Henry van der Kleij is pushing for one of John H. Ward's rivals to get the franchise.

 

Bid 4: Washington, DC

Washington seems ripe for professional football. Fixed between Maryland and Virginia, it could conceivably attract fans from those two states and West Virginia. Finding a prospective owner has been tough though.

 

Bid 5: St. Paul, MN

This one is more promising than it sounds. The Hamm's beer company (making pops and other various soft drinks during prohibition) wants a team in St. Paul to rival the Maroons. The Hamm family is willing to sink a lot of money into the team. This offer is almost too hard to ignore.

 

Bid 6: Milwaukee, WI

Milwaukee is hungry for football. After various prospective owners attempted to buy teams, it seems that football is going to work in Wisconsin.

 

Bid 7: Hartford, CT

No one could find a willing, stable owner in Boston so the association is turning to Hartford for a team in New England. The various insurance companies are making it more and more likely they'll land a team.

 

These are the bids. I'll take what you guys think into account

1. St Louis

2. Washington, DC

3. Hartford

4. Milwaukee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. St. Louis

2. Hartford

3. Milwaukee

4.Buffalo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  1. Buffalo
  2. St. Louis
  3. Milwaukee
  4. Hartford

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ranking the cities so far with 

1st choice = 4 points

2nd choice = 3 points 

3rd choice = 2 points

4th choice = 1 point 

 

We have

1: Milwaukee: 31 points

2: St. Louis: 29 points

3: Hartford: 18 points

4: Washington DC: 16 points

5: St. Paul: 11 points

6: Buffalo: 9 points

7. Philadelphia: 4 points

8*. Cincinnati: 2 points

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Hartford, CT
2. Milwaukee, WI
3. St. Louis, MO
4. Washington, DC

It was hard to leave Philly off, but I don't know if the city is ready for a new team yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first two expansion franchises have been announced. In 1924 the league will expand to Milwaukee and Washington. The branding and ownership will be revealed after the 1922 season.

 

Following the news Hamm's beer company upped the ante and are willing to pay $500, pentouple the actual cost to form a franchise, and have become a front-runner for 1926.

 

News has also leaked that John H. Ward barred any talk of expansion to Cincinnati.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.