FightingGoldenDevil

United States Football Association: 1925 season and Championship game

1924 USFA Championship

Weather mid 30s, raining

3:00 CT Kickoff

First Quarter

The Maroons received the ball after winning the coin toss. Returner Ted Geldmann muffed the slick ball and the Maroons started the game at only the 16. It took the offenses awhile to get going because of the weather and the teams traded punts until Toledo running back Marvin McGehee scampered for a 60 yard touchdown run as Maroons defenders slipped in the mud behind him with 5 minutes left in the quarter. Minneapolis responded by kicking a field goal the ensuing drive. 

Second Quarter

The second quarter started out with Toledo punting the ball and Minneapolis marching down the field only to be stopped on the goal line and settling for a field goal. Toledo converted two first downs before being forced to punt. Maroons returner Ted Geldmann ran back that punt for a 70 yard touchdown after multiple Tigers lost their footing in the mud. Henry Forsythe then staged a 6 minute drive ending in a one yard McGehee TD run through a muddy pile of blockers and defenders. Tigers lead 14-13 at half

Third Quarter

Forsythe's squad got a touch back on the opening kickoff of the half and got a three and out after McGehee fumbled the handoff on 3rd and 2. Minneapolis proceeded to get a three and out themselves after QB Urban Leonard slipped in mud after taking a snap on 3rd and 8. Coach Forsythe new he had to take advantage of both the weather and aggressiveness of the Minneapolis defense if he wanted to win the game. Forsythe ran misdirections and reverses on two third and short situations to pick up two 20 yard runs with the Maroons running at the wrong player or slipping in the mud. Eventually Karl Olaffson picked up on the trend and blew up McGehee three straight plays, forcing a field goal. On the following kickoff, Forsythe told his kicker/quarterback Thomas Smith to kick the ball with no air under it. The confused Maroons players let it rocket towards Geldmann before hitting the mud, as he picked up the muddy ball, cornerback/wide receiver Francis Bourgeois knocked the ball out of his hand and picked it up himself and the drive started at the 15 yard line. The first play of the drive Tom Smith hit Bourgeois in the end zone for a touchdown as the quarter ended.

Fourth Quarter

Minneapolis punted after five plays the next drive. Toledo proceeded to eat up the clock on a 7 minute drive ending in a McGehee TD. Minneapolis returned the favor by marching down the field in 3 minutes and getting a 7 yard touchdown run by running back Jack Dorsell. Minneapolis went for an onside kick but Toledo recovered. The Tigers proceeded to run out the clock. Securing their championship.

eHggr2p.jpg

CONGRATULATIONS TOLEDO TIGERS ON WINNING THE 1924 USFA CHAMPIONSHIP

7 hours ago, TheYellowWolfMC said:

I wish Toledo wouldn't have to move. They're the Packers of the USFA

The Packers were situated in a perfect position to make a small town team work. Close enough to Milwaukee to fill their void once the Badgers folded, but far enough away from other competing markets. Toledo is in the middle of Detroit, Indianapolis, Cleveland and Cincinnati. The Tigers aren't moving yet but with hindsight about how US cities explode or decline in population, it seems inevitable at some point. I have a special storyline for Cincy that may or may not involve folds and relocations.

The Buckeyes are the first team to change uniforms in Association history

1920-24

Mmqb1b1.png

1925 onwards

cu71kCL.png

New head coach James Murray convinced owner John H. Ward to adopt more traditional uniforms stating "We're a football team, not clowns. I'm looking to change the culture of the team and that starts with looking like one"

The Buckeye on the chest and back is the most prominent feature of the redesign.

I'll have the two 1926 expansion teams ready tomorrow hopefully.

The first of the upcoming 1926 expansion teams are the Hamm's Brewing Company Brewers.

QvVB1B7.png

William Hamm convinced the committee to grant him a team by paying 500 dollars for the expansion, 5x what the fee is. Many doubt that the Twin Cities can support two teams in the long run, but money speaks.

Maroons owner Olaf Kvistad II is concerned that two teams in a market like the twin cities will dilute the quality of play. Hamm believes it will do just fine and create a great rivalry. We'll need to wait and see who's right

Hamms looks great, I hope it doesn't weaken the Maroons though. I usually support teams from St. Paul over Minneapolis, but I think I'm gonna stay loyal to the Maroons, I feel like they're more likely to last in the long run.

The next expansion team is the St. Louis Explorers.

g0c304t.jpg

cVJlIXn.png

The team is owned by Ben F. Oswald, a mutual friend of Van der Kleij and Ward. This connected netted him the team but some are speculating that it's distance will be the teams downfall because Oswald isn't as rich as his friends.

The colors come from the green wilderness that Louis and Clark explored. It just *coincidentally* happens to be Oswald's favorite color

Please leave any comments you may have on the new teams and your predictions for the 1925 season

Darn, I was hoping for Hartford(I know they didnt get more than St. Louis, but they did get more than St. Paul).

this is super cool keep up the good work any plans on expanding to the south east?

26 minutes ago, TheBW91 said:

this is super cool keep up the good work any plans on expanding to the south east?

Southern expansion will happen eventually. I'm sorta following how the NFL expanded so it'll be a bit

1 minute ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

IvfQBTc.png

Championship will be Maroons vs Dukes in Minneapolis. Result will be up in a few hours

Congratulations New York Dukes, hope you guys win.

1925 USFA Championship Game

Mid 30s

12:00 kick-off

pbYwRTs.jpg

I'm doing this between homework so I'm just going to sum up the whole game instead of quarter by quarter

Slow start dooms Maroons

The Championship game this year was a closely fought battle that came close with New York only winning on a 39 yard field goal as time expired to erase the only lead Minneapolis had the entire game. Before scoring their 4th quarter field goal Minneapolis was playing catch-up all game after putting up a goose egg in the first quarter and allowing a long punt return touchdown. NY head coach and owner Henry Van der Kleij played for field position the rest of the game, pooch punting it twice and pinning the Maroons as far back as possible. Minneapolis couldn't outplay their early mistakes and lost their second straight championship at home.

Oof Minneapolis is beginning to remind me of the 1991-1994 buffalo bills