RoughRiders99

Is this Heaven? No. It's Iowa! - Iowa Baseball League | 1925 Season Results

Why does the mini text under each game say "DM Racoons" and "Dubuque" instead of "CR Beavers" and "WDM Tigers"

14 hours ago, Steelman said:

Nice work by the Beavers! The other teams must be jealous.

Will you be introducing/tracking any actual players in this series? I'm dying to know who pitched the shutout in Game 2. Lol.

I honestly haven't decided yet. I want to, but I feel like it'd be too much work at points. I'm not doing this thing in OOTP, it's entirely by hand using my own simming generator (because the way I want to expand this league isn't possible in OOTP).

I'd rather not make up/mention a player in a post then "forget" about him 2-3 seasons later, and/or have him play too long and have a 40 year career or something like that. 

However, if you have suggestions on how to track players without using OOTP, I'd appreciate it!  

13 hours ago, TargetToad said:

Why does the mini text under each game say "DM Racoons" and "Dubuque" instead of "CR Beavers" and "WDM Tigers"

Honest mistake. I overlooked it. Thanks for the heads up. I'll be careful next time. 

20 minutes ago, RoughRiders99 said:

I honestly haven't decided yet. I want to, but I feel like it'd be too much work at points. I'm not doing this thing in OOTP, it's entirely by hand using my own simming generator (because the way I want to expand this league isn't possible in OOTP).

I'd rather not make up/mention a player in a post then "forget" about him 2-3 seasons later, and/or have him play too long and have a 40 year career or something like that. 

However, if you have suggestions on how to track players without using OOTP, I'd appreciate it!  

The way I do it for the MAHL is by making a google sheet with every team in the league, most teams I've made 1-2 "star" players that are really the only players referenced in my write ups. It's less work than making full rosters for every team and it is pretty easy to remember approximately how long someone has been playing.

1 minute ago, Section30 said:

The way I do it for the MAHL is by making a google sheet with every team in the league, most teams I've made 1-2 "star" players that are really the only players referenced in my write ups. It's less work than making full rosters for every team and it is pretty easy to remember approximately how long someone has been playing.

That's not a bad idea. I like that! @Steelman and I have been discussing about this sort of thing, and your method seems easy and quick enough that it could work for me. And I could always put down the years when I expect X and Y players to play to help me keep track. 

Thanks! Always appreciate your words. 

Another way to do it is to only name (and then track) All-Star players, or award winners or some other subset of "good" players.  This way, you're only tracking the players that did something noteworthy.  As the person who has to manually keep track of all this stuff, you need the tracking items/players to be things that really engage you (speaking from sim experience).  In season two of tracking, you'll be actively interested in seeing if last year's named players continue to do well.  And you'll find yourself more engaged as new unnamed players start to make some noise.  You'll be tempted to start naming anyone who starts to shoot up the leaderboard, but I'd suggest waiting until the end of season awards and make it (for yourself) a big deal that the players get named and have earned their way into the annals of your league history.  

As a fellow Iowan (from the southwest part of the state) this thread is very interesting. I wiuld love to see teams from the western half of the state... 

Hey there, sorry this hasn't been updated in more than a month. Wow. Time really does fly! 

Yes, if I do continue this thread, I absolutely WILL expand to the western part of the state some day. 

However, there's just too much going on right now in my life that I haven't had the time to work on this project and my Solar League. 

Sorry guys! i loved doing these things on the forums, but it's just too tough for me to stay on top of it on a regular basis. Plus, the work I put in these projects can be too tedious compared to other things in real life. 

Don't worry! I'll still be around! I do lurk a few threads here and there.