City-Nickname Monograms in Baseball

MilSox

9 hours ago, Trapper John said:

So the White Sox would have an Old English C in the same division with Detroit?  Brilliant... 

While the Dodgers and Giants both have interlocking letters in the same division. Why would the division matter especially when the White Sox already have Old English lettering?

VmWIn6B.png

8 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Yeah, if the Old English “Sox” isn’t a problem, I don’t see how a matching “C” would be.  It’s not all that distinguishable from a single letter at a distance. 

The post was worried about an Old English C being too close to the Tigers’ Old English D. It’s like when the Giants and Padres used a markedly similar font for their insignias:

spacer.pngspacer.png

The Old English “Sox,” being an interlocking logo with fewer small details, doesn’t look all that much like the Tigers’ “D” or Athletics’ “A’s.” Using a single letter “C” would mess with that.

At a distance, I think they’re close enough that if there really was a problem we’d be dealing with it already. 

I have a Twitter follower who claims the Brewers can’t wear their royal throwback caps because they’d be too close to the Cubs. This strikes me as being the same concern. 

Archived