European Football (Soccer) Crest Redesigns: Leicester City

MDGP

Recently, after viewing mcrosby's excellent MLS redesign project, I realized I hadn't done any soccer concepts in awhile. So, I decided to get back into the game with some redesigns of some European teams, particularly focusing on smaller/lower level clubs across the continent.

For the first team, I present 1.FC Koln

nwEEytF.png

And the original for reference:

225px-FC_Cologne_logo.svg.png

The main elements of the design include:

• The modernized goat, moved from a leaning position next to the badge to a leaping position inside the badge.
  • The towers of the Cologne Cathedral are now represented in the goat's horns. 
  • Behind the goat, the sash design is replaced with four stripes stylized to create a K.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Very clean. Thought they rendition of the bear would Brennan troublesome but you nailed it. The stripes in the background kinda strikes me as a little “land of the rising sun” but it definitely jumped out as a K off the bat. Love it all, especially since german crests are always so simple

Love the render of the goat and how the whole crest is much more cohesive than the original. The K didn't jump out at me at first, but it didn't take long to see it. The horns as the cathedral towers is maybe a bit of a stretch, but it could work. Overall, great job!

I appreciate the central focus on the new jumping goat, which is really well-done.

I think the incorporation of the Cathedral is clever but too subtle; it makes it feel like an extremely well-done yet generic goat logo. I'd rather see the Cathedral in the space under the goat, and a Koln wordmark above it.

Still, it's beautifully done!

Hey guys, thanks for the comments! In regards to the horns, the cathedral inspiration was definitely meant to be very subtle, more of an easter egg than anything.

While this series won't necessarily have daily entries, I've got another one for you guys.

My next team is Blackpool F.C. out of England's Third Tier, League One. Blackpool's ineptitude since the 1950s makes the Cleveland Browns look like the Soviet Union National Hockey team from 1961-1979. 

mlnXd2t.png

The main goal here was simplification, simplification, simplification. Blackpool's current crest is almost identical to the city coat of arms. However, the shield on the current crest has the foundation to create a strong crest. 

In order to do this I:

- Removed almost all detail outside the shield.

- Modernized the seagull so as to not look like a blob.

- Moved the slogan "Progress" from the banner below to the top of the shield. 

The original for reference:

1200px-Blackpool_FC_logo.svg.png

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

7 hours ago, Lafarge said:

Hey guys, thanks for the comments! In regards to the horns, the cathedral inspiration was definitely meant to be very subtle, more of an easter egg than anything.

While this series won't necessarily have daily entries, I've got another one for you guys.

My next team is Blackpool United out of England's Third Tier, League One. Blackpool's ineptitude since the 1950s makes the Cleveland Browns look like the Soviet Union National Hockey team from 1961-1979. 

mlnXd2t.png

The main goal here was simplification, simplification, simplification. Blackpool's current crest is almost identical to the city coat of arms. However, the shield on the current crest has the foundation to create a strong crest. 

In order to do this I:

- Removed almost all detail outside the shield.

- Modernized the seagull so as to not look like a blob.

- Moved the slogan "Progress" from the banner below to the top of the shield. 

The original for reference:

1200px-Blackpool_FC_logo.svg.png

I much preferred for the new logo to read as 'Blackpool FC' instead of 'Progress'. Other than that, lovely.

4 hours ago, BigRed618 said:

Blackpool looks amazing. They really do need a new crest. The town CoA looks nice, but how do you market that as a sports logo? Doesn’t that symbol belong to the city?

It does and that's why Scotland is actually trying to make it's pro teams change their badges. Hibernian, Rangers and others have been a bit miffed about it as a result.

https://www.thedrum.com/news/2016/04/18/top-scottish-football-clubs-face-legal-battle-keep-their-club-crests

http://www.talkceltic.net/forums/threads/would-rebranding-change-the-way-that-scottish-football-is-perceived.146759/

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, didn't see a lot of the later comments, regarding blackpool, my main idea was to have two variations of the crest, one that was merely the crest as shown above, and a more "full logo" version with Blackpool F.C. above the shield, similar to how many NBA logos include the team name. I'll put together a version like that, as well as a version with Blackpool instead of "Progress."

Meanwhile, I have a new design, a remaster if you will, for Leicester City. This crest is the most similar to the current crest, simply cleaned up and simplified. Most notably, the fox had been stylized differently and is barking. I have two versions of the crest: a full crest featuring a roundel, and a uniform crest featuring only the fox and flower, similar to how Liverpool utilizes a partial crest on their uniforms.

Full Version:

xkB5ybJ.jpg

Uniform Version:

dNX2dbS.jpg

And the actual crest for reference:

220px-Leicester_City_crest.svg.png

Archived