Matthew24

United Footy League: Untold Story - AAFL 1950 Season

Hello everyone. I decided to give this another go after my first two outings failed hard. Mostly due to rushing and me dealing with stress and moving. I wanted to tell a story of a man who played the Austus experiment in Australia during War World II and wanted to bring it to North America. This is Carlos Brown and here is his league.

“It amazing how it got this far, it been a hell of a ride back and forth.”

- Carlos Brown (Owner and CEO of American Footy Limited)

What those people saw on that spring time day in April who attended the first professional UFL game between the Washington Snipers and the New York Liberty was something they never seen before. This was a game were they were kicking the ball far and tackling was rough. Rougher then what they seen with American “Girdiron” Football. Those people who attended saw a game that would change the landscape of sports in America but from not around here. But was born in Australia.

But to know how the game begin, we must know who created the UFL in the first place. His name is Carlos Brown, and he took part of an experiment that would become what America and most of the world would place today. American Footy.

Carlos Brown was born in 1922 to a poor family, but you wouldn’t believe it if you seen them back in the 1920’s. Carlos was the last son of Jacob and Marie Brown. Of the three sons and two daughters, Carlos loved sports. Growing up with his father, who played minor league ball with the Hollywood Stars of the Pacific Coast League. He would travel up and down the coast with him and see the Stars play teams from San Diego to Seattle. His father was a good catcher, but his dreams of finally playing in the big league ended during the 1935 when, while waiting for a pitch from San Francisco Seals pitcher Bill Henderson, Henderson accidentally threw a wild pitch and hit Jacob in the jaw. Jacob would later survive, but he would retire and the PCL would stage an All-Star Game in his honor. While Jacob would recover, Carlos decided to move on from baseball to find a new passion.

Throughout the Great Depression, sports like baseball would be hit hard, like so many other things in America. By the end of the 1930’s, Carlos would grow to loving other sports like gridiron football. Even playing for a bit in 1942 for the UCLA Bruins. However, something would happen during his first year as a player for the Bruins. War World II was mostly a European problem that American didn’t want to be part of. The last War lead to the Depression and most American felt that they would be better if they stayed out. That all changed on December 7th 1941. Japanese forces bombed U.S. Naval Ships and killing service men at Pearl Harbor.

“Yesterday, December 7th, 1941…a date that will live in infamy.” - Franklin Roosevelt

“If they had to drag us into it, we would be the ones to finish it!” - Carlos Brown said during an interview in 1978

American was thrown into war. Not by choice but now by necessity. Carlos, who wanted to travel and see what this world had, couldn’t resist. Without hesitation, he signed to the U.S. Army and was assign to Australia in early 1943. For most of the war, he worked in Melbourne in a U.S. Camp with different soldiers. Few of them were also football players. On the off time they would travel around Melbourne and talk to the locals. While tensions were high, Carlos and the other Americans were welcomed in. During one of the breaks, Carlos decided to pay and watch an Australia Football match between Collingwood and Geelong. It was that day forward, Carlos became an Australian Footy fan.

Back on the camps, Carlos told everyone about the game. While his fellow comrades and superiors though he was crazy. Carlos would again try to plead to the other solders about it. Lucky for him, the Australian soldier listen to the conversation and decided to help him out. His name was Ern Cowley. Both men would decide to combine the two games, American Football and Australian Footy to one code. Austus.

"99% Australian rules with the addition of gridiron highlights." Said Cowley in an interview.

The game would debut something that the VFL didn’t do. Forward passing would be legal. This would help give the game the American Football edge to it. The game would to also be played on an oval field as well. The first game between the U.S. Servicemen that included Carlos and a group of Australian Servicemen was played on July 18th 1943. The Americans won 8.4 (52) to 5.8 (38) in two twenty-five minutes halves. The game was a success and the next game was between the Americans and a team consisted of VFL (Victorian Football League) player. The VFL players defeated the Americans 17.23 (125) to 8.1 (49) in a full-length game.

The games continued on and off. However with War World II ending in 1945. Carlos and the other U.S. Servicemen when back to America. And the game of Austus would die afterwards. But for Carlos, he couldn't stop thinking about it. He wanted to make it a full time job. He wanted to make it so anyone could play.

With him coming back to Los Angeles. He was granted a discharge by the U.S. Army and was given a grant for his service. He decided to revamp the rules of Austus. He went with a 11 player game with 4 forwards, 3 midfielders, 3 defenders and 1 goalie. Playing on a gridiron football field would help it be more welcomed to Americans who are used to College Football and the National Football League. The addition of four twenty minutes halves would give the game a fast pace feel. Scoring was pretty much the same as the VFL but one rule of Austus remained. Forward pass was still legal.

Carlos Brown, deciding that he needed to get players to play the game, searched around for semi pro football and soccer players. Soccer was, at this point, was an amateurs game thanks to the Great Depression. Brown would ask them if they wanted to learn a new game. While most would rather play with what they known, some decided to give it a try. Brown would teach the ones who wanted to learn how to play. The people who he was teaching would then tell others to give it a shot.

On July 18th 1946, Carlos would hold an exhibition game between two teams of players that he taught. Only 50 people showed up to watch. The teams, the Stars (named after the Hollywood Stars) and the Angels (named after the Los Angeles Angels) would play a rough demo of a game that would become the American Footy. While the game, was fast pace and but low scoring, it was also rough and wild. Carlos, who referee the game would throw out two players for unnecessary roughhousing. One of those players would become the UFL 50th anniversary team captain was Danny Thomas. He would also score the first goal in the game.

The game gained word of mouth from the working class. By 1947, the game would grow thanks to working and migrant class. Carlos was happy to see it growing. However, he knew that it can grow bigger. He decided to pack up bags and move to the east coast to spread the gospel of his new game.

In early 1948, Carlos Brown decided to take a risk and share the game to east coast of the United States. While he was looking for a players, he was also modding the game to make it safer for young players. He was also looking for investors. However none were interested with trying to grow a new game. Especially something could overshadow football and even baseball. There was one person who decided to help, Jacob Grant. Jacob was a fan of sports. During this time, he made his fortunes in retail and sales and was someone who heard about a werid game that was played from a friend who served in the Pacific Theater. When Jacob heard that one of the co-creators of the game was traveling to the east coast to spread the game. He quickly contacted Brown and asked for a meeting.

The two met at the Mayflower Hotel. They both saw eye to eye. They wanted to grow a new sport that Americans can understand and will enjoy. Alexander then asked about changing the scoring system to remove the behind point. Carlos agreed since it was an issue back in Los Angeles. The two decided to work on it and they met afterwards to discuss changes and ideas.

Lexington then gave a propose plan for the launch in 1949. Carlos then though he was crazy. 1949 was one year or less away. Alexander then suggest looking for talent he made in the West Coast to help fill teams. Carlos got to work, he would contact the players and tell them that they can now play for money here. While the older players decided to stay in Los Angeles and San Diego, since they had family to take care of. Younger players decided to move to the East to play for the new upstart league.

Alexander manage to work with different NFL and MLB owners to use their stadiums on their off days so they wouldn't create conflict. The NFL agreed to help this new league out. MLB however declined due to not wanting to create a new competitor for the spring and summer season. With the NFL deciding to help out. A few players, mostly rookies or journeymen players, decided to try out. Since MLB and NFL mostly used the same stadiums, the MLB decided to let them play on the off days.

By the end of November of 1948. the new upstart league, called at the time the Australian – American Football League would start on February 1st 1949. The six teams, dubbed “The Originals” would consist of the Washington Snipers, New York Liberty, Philadelphia Bell, Boston Chiefs, Cleveland Spirits and the Detroit Autos AAFC. The Auto decided to embrace the new sport by adding the AAFC to their name. Two more teams were up for considerations. The first was a team from Pittsburgh, but Carlos decided to accept the group from Philadelphia. The other was Chicago, despite Chicago being one of the biggest cities in the United States, the group decided to cancel the bid.

First team up is the Washington Snipers:

U3ULV5z.png

Owner: William Donald Jr

Stadium: Griffith Stadium

Colors: Maroon, White and Kelly Green

Nickname: Named after the Sniper Rifle gun, the Snipers was a name given by William Donald Jr to showcase the scoring abilities of the team he owned.

6kn5BEn.png

Feedback is welcome. Will upload next team once i get proper internet tomorrow.

-edited- I fixed the misspelling on the jersey. I also did some minor adjustments on it to look better.

-edit 2- Changed the colors to tone down the brightness. 

Edited by Matthew24

It'll be nice to see how this goes. You misspelled 'Washington' on the uniforms, but not the logo. 

Well shoot.. I can't have one post without making an mistake.. Will fix it tonight when I can.

Feel like I need a botch count each time i screw up. 

Botch: 1

It's not a bad start, but I feel like the cross in the logo should be thicker, and just have WASHINGTON across it. 

Thanks for the feedback so far. I am still getting the hang of it again but at least I'm taking my time. I couldn't resist not uploading the next team. So here they are, the Detroit Autos AAFC. The AAFC means Australian American Football Club by the way.

K2HFwZQ.png

Owner: Walter D. Jones

Stadium: Briggs Stadium

Team Colors: Red and Blue

Nicknamed: Walter Jones named it after the automotive industry in Detroit. The AAFC is to recognize the new football code being played. Though at the time, everyone thought he was nuts for adding it

wyFRfcZ.png

Something simple but gets to the point.

-Feedback is welcome-

Just now, BellaSpurs said:

Try toning the colors down, their really bright, they contrast too much 

On the autos or on the snipers? It's an weird issue with PaintDotNet. I probably should look into it.

4 minutes ago, Matthew24 said:

On the autos or on the snipers? It's an weird issue with PaintDotNet. I probably should look into it.

Both, try a dark green and red or kelly green and marroon for the snipers

Navy or just royal blue and maroon for the autos

Alright. Before i show the others I will look into fixing it.

Okay i revamp the original Detroit Autos club logo and toned down the color. Finally decided to look up the hex codes for the colors i used for both teams.

New Logo: ELJlw4B.png

New Uniforms: R8Re1By.png

Will admit something, toning the colors down helped make the uniforms look better. Probably should still upload the rest and see how you guys respond to it. I want things to look right before i upload the first seasons results.

Well so far so good. Here the next team to show off. The Cleveland Spirits.

WvqYs4Z.png

Owner: Kenny Wallace

Stadium; Cleveland Municipal Stadiums

Team Color: Midnight Blue, Cornfield Blue and White

Nickname: The name was chosen by the owner, Kenny Wallace, due to wanting to capture the spirits of Cleveland fans and showcase their talents. It was also his nickname from his time playing in the semi pro football.

TsGvEu6.png

Feedback would be nice. Technically this is my second attempt with the logo and uniform. I wasn't happy with it so i made this instead.

Next team will be uploaded later on Friday or Saturday once you guys are okay with it.

Next up is a two for one deal. The Philadelphia Bell (or Philadelphia Footy Club) and the New York Liberty.

The Philadelphia Bells first:

3xdvHdy.png

Owner: Lance Harrisburg

Stadium: Shibe Park

Colors: Red and Gold

Nickname: The teams nickname came from the liberty bell that resides in Philadelphia. Philadelphia was the first team to adopt the word footy in the logo and in the club trademark. 

3mOwu0X.png

And the New York Liberty

Eax9kbM.png

Owner: T.J. Jarvis

Stadium: Polo Stadium

Colors Blue and Orange

Nickname: The nickname came from the Statue of Liberty in New York City.

NawqEpD.png

Feedback would be great. Just one more team to go, the Boston Chiefs will be uploaded soon.

Edited by Matthew24

Finally, the last team to be showcased in the league is the Boston Chiefs.

lE9JTZu.png

Owner: Christopher Ross and Matthew Parker

Stadium: Braves Field

Color: Red, Green and Purple

Nickname: Matthew named them the Chiefs from his time working with the Boston Braves of the National League. To keep the teams as separate identities, he decided to name them the chiefs instead. 

zieMBBK.png 

Feedback would be nice. Honestly wanted to do something simple for this team. Not sure about the logo but PaitnDotNet is sometime weird when it comes to saving some designs.

If everyones okay with it, I will post the first season tonight.

Before i begin the story. I should explain the rules. The game is pretty much the VFL (now AFL) rules jut with forward passing and the and with two halves with 20 minutes each. Scoring is the same and the league uses NFL goal posts with two half size polls on the side for the behind points. Goals are 5 points and behinds are 3 points in the league. the game is played on a NFL size field for fans who are use to American Football.

- AAFL Season 1 (1949) -

FhpSrjX.png

The first season almost ended before it happened for the Philadelphia Bells. The Bells, owned by Lance Harrisburg, was almost forced out of the league. Due to the fact that the team owner had a hard time convincing the owners of Shibe Field to play in the stadium when not used for baseball. Only in the 11th hour they were allowed to play in the stadium. The league did well but the audience watching had a hard time following the rules to an extent. However by the end of the season, the league was able to finish the first season without much problems on field.

Most of the league problems were due to the mismanagement on the new owners. The Snipers and Liberty did well on their own. The Detroit Autos and Cleveland Spirits were having some issues but were doing okay. The Boston Chiefs were in financial hell midway though the season. Despite the stadium being one of the oldest stadiums in the league, the problem was in payment to the players. While Mr. Parker did try his best to pay the team what he could, Ross was actually caught keeping some of the players hard earned money to himself. The reason why was simple, he was in debt. Just before the end of the season, Brown led an investigation after hearing complaints from the players. Matthew Parker then told Carlos Brown what Ross has done and Ross was stripped of the ownership of the team and was arrested later on in a sting by the police. Carlos then publicly banned Christopher Ross for life for his actions.

The best selling teams was Washington. The Snipers was aided by good ad campaign by both the Snipers owner but also the Washington Redskins owner George Preston Marshall. Marshall saw potential in the new sport, both as a good developmental league but also a place for his players to earn extra cash, despite the payment being very low compared to the National Football League. The worst selling team was the Philadelphia Bells. Despite fielding some players who played in the west coast including Eddie Hastings (who also played for the Angels in the original demo) and former Philadelphia Eagles running back Cole Jordan. The team preformed poorly and was rewarded with low attendance and last place in the league.

By the end of the season the league had to stage a championship game between the Liberty and the Snipers. Both ended in a tie and the league needed a champion. The championship game was played at Griffith Stadium like in round 1 and to the surprise of the league. 8,000 paid fans came to watch the hometown team beat the away team in amazing fashion as Nick Lewis, a former rugby player before moving from London to Washington DC scored the game winning goal for the Snipers. The Washington Snipers were the first AAFL Champions by the score of 28 to 23

Carlos Brown, learned on that day that American were accepting to this game. Despite the low attendance to the game, the Bells were the worst victim of it, the league would continue onward as it secured funds to keep the league going for the unforeseeable future.

-Hope you guys enjoy it. Already have the 1950 season already simulated. Hope the story isn't too crazy for everyone. Thanks for reading.-

1950 AAFL Season

8aGQrI7.png

The first off-season of the AAFL was eventful for Carlos Brown. While settling the issue of the Boston Chiefs management scandal. Matthew Parker was able to get full control of the team and managed to repay the players their earnings. While that was going on. Brown worked out a deal to at least broadcast next year championship game onto CBS thanks to the NFL. It was more of an “If we like it then we will continue” kinda of deal more or less. To combat the season draw last year. The league would stage a playoff to crown a new champion. The top four teams would compete in a semifinal round to which the winner will compete in the finals.

The season started on April 1st, 1950 and ended on June 17th, 1950, much of the same way as last time. Despite good overall play from each team this year, the fans were still new to the game so attendances were not as great compared to the spring time classic, baseball. However on field, each game was close with a few exceptions. Washington Snipers, led by last year championship MVP, Nick Lewis, led the league with attendances. Next was Boston, the Chiefs managed to improved greatly and it shows with a first place standing along with another surprise, Philadelphia.

Philadelphia pretty much had the same group of players, but unlike last year where they didn't have time to gel into a group, they stormed out of the gates and surprised many people in Philly. Aided by midfielder Gregory Walsh and the brilliant forward Jonathan Collins. Combined to formed a dynamic duo that proved to helpful to spread the game in the city of brotherly love. Cleveland and Washington would stay tied in third place and would qualified to the playoffs. New York would fal downl to 5th place and Detroit would failed to win many games and slip into last place.

The playoffs were set. Washington vs Boston and Philadelphia vs Cleveland for the chance to win the AAFL second championship.

-Sorry for the short part here, wanted to spread it out a bit since i wanted to get this out on a semi regular basis. Still trying not to over do it and screw myself over. Probably be awhile before i upload the playoffs and finals So feedback will be nice. I do want to get better at storytelling so any feedback will be great. Thanks for reading and have a great day.-

1950 Playoff’s

Philadelphia Bells - 9. 6. 60 Points

Cleveland Spirits - 4. 2. 26 Points

Washington - 3. 2. 20 points

Boston - 2. 9. 21 Points

Playoffs were a good time to be a Bells fan. Despite the rough first season, Philadelphia came into the new playoff system and dominated the Cleveland Spirits and sent them packing in front of a crowd of 1500 paid spectators. Despite the loss, Cleveland would still cheer the team off the field. Seem that Footy was growing in Cleveland. In Washington however, it was a war of wits. Boston midfielder Eric Mason and Washington Nick Lewis were trying to outwit each other. However defense played a big roll into the game and it showed. The game was tied 20 – 20 with less then a minute left in the game. While the playoff did include overtime, Boston wanted the win and Eric Mason would score the behind goal to give the Chiefs a 1 goal lead and the win.

The game would be considered the greatest game ever played.

The stage was set in Philadelphia. The high scoring Bells vs the technician prowess of the Chiefs. With at least 2000 fans watching in attendance. CBS was gearing up to air the game nationwide. Carlos Brown was in attendance as well, CBS contacted him to do the commentary over the game and he agreed to do so. Carlos Brown would be the soul commentator for the game and the fans got to listen to the creator of the game lived as it happened.

The fans of Philadelphia wanted to see the home time win the first title in Phily since the Philadelphia Eagles won the NFL Championship the year prior. (The fore runner to today's Super Bowl)

Boston Chiefs - 5. 3. 33 Points

Philadelphia Bells - 2. 6. 18 Points

The first half was a back and forth affair, then Jonathan Collins scored the lead goal for the Bells before the half ended. The second half came and so did the Chiefs as they stormed out wanting to win. 4 unanswered goals by Eric Mason and Harry West would sealed the fate of the Bells. The Boston Chiefs became the 1950 AAFL Championship. While the crowd was unhappy by it, they still supported the team. This would be the day the first rivalry in UFL started between Philadelphia and Boston. Something that continues to this day.

Meanwhile, CBS was impressed by the game and the sport of American footy to the point where they would negotiate a new contract with Carlos Brown and the owners of the teams.

“CBS would be a greatest assets during our early years. We needed exposure on television and CBS helped us out. I still thank them to this day” Carlos Brown during an interview in 1969

Things were looking up for the league, for how long was the question. Only time could tell.

(Sorry for no updates on the story. Been busy lately. Hope you guys enjoy and feedback would be nice.)

-Update-

Sorry for no updates to the story as of now. Life been pretty crazy and i been too busy to do this story. I haven't given up but if i did, I would release a planned timeline of what important events happened and that would be it. I have planned out to at least continue the story till the year 2000 (in story). I honestly think I should step back and see if i wanna continue with it or not. As of now i honestly don't know..