Brian Burke Would Have Changed Ducks To Patriots

M4One

I'm sorry, but Patriots doesn't work for any town outside of the New England area, or outside of Army, Navy major bases. It doesn't really make much sense in hockey, especially in a region like Anaheim, California.

While Ducks as itself is a plain, generic name; it flows from the previous name of Mighty Ducks without a complete graphics overhaul.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

Yeah, but I still have a feeling that the simplification from Mighty Ducks to Ducks was just to pacify the hockey purists that made it seem like Disney wasn't taking the sport seriously.

I don't think it was a move for the hockey purists, I think it was more a move to a new branding for the new ownership but still keeping the franchise the "same".

IbjBaeE.png

Bakersfield was using that bird at the time. Still is.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

He basically wanted them to be the West Point Boston Bruins of Anaheim. And he also did just that with the Chilliwack Bruins.

When the Ducks rebranded I recall the presser claiming that the gold represents "the passion and excitement the fans bring to the building every night". I'm not sure what beige is supposed to say about your fanbase, but okay. I liked to think it was a play on California being the Golden State, much like their OC orange. But knowing it's only there because of Burke's stupid military fetish has soured me on it somewhat.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

On 2/13/2019 at 11:35 PM, Bucfan56 said:

Why are are people like this? 

Well, we culturally tie military service and success in military service to masculinity and the validation of said masculinity. This is especially the case if you’re a bit of a schlub who would normally receive dissing from family members and women you’d love dating. Look at how many low-level guys in the service try to pump up their handiwork.

One example would be Vietnam-era Marine Leonard Lake. He spent his time in the Marines twiddling knobs on a radio, but came back claiming that he had a bunch of kills. He also maintained the mindset, calling many of his activities “Operation ____.” It was very much an attempt to affirm his masculinity and fuel his pre-existing beliefs (e.g., nuclear holocaust, survivalism, and most importantly, subjugating innocent women to sex slavery in the pattern of John Fowles’ The Collector).

The story of Leonard Lake and Charles Ng (another Marine who never saw combat, unless you count running from the Chasers after stealing grenade launchers as “combat”) is one of the most terrifying serial killer sagas. I recommend researching it (and listening to the Last Podcast on the Left episodes on them, if you can stomach Henry Zebrowski’s surprisingly accurate impression of Ng).

But back to the Ducks. I’m glad they dropped the “Mighty” part of the name, but I do wish Burke had OK’d a realistic duck logo. That would solve so many problems with the team’s identity.

On 2/14/2019 at 12:35 AM, Bucfan56 said:

I used to have a neighbor like this and he was the absolute worst. All of his clothes were oversized fatigues he got at the BX (not even sure how he got them as he was about Tank’s size), and he blabbed relentlessly about all of the “confirmed and unconfirmed kills” he had when he was in the military (considering his age, this would’ve been around the time of Desert Storm so, lol). I probably took more joy than I should’ve when his mom outed him to everyone that he was never in the military, and never even tried to join. His sad excuse was that he was “secret special ops” and even his family couldn’t know because it was just so top secret. 

Why are are people like this? 

It's my experience that being a military obsessive is kind of a tell-tale sign that they didn't actually serve and if they did they didn't see serious action because my friends and family who did are extremely reticent about their time in war. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Which makes perfect sense as well. Those involved in physical warfare, or whatever you call it where there's weapons being used and deaths occur, would generally not want to discuss it too much because, for the average person, we're not designed and not meant to subject ourselves to seeing people, enemy or friend, dying around us. It's a very unsettling thing. As with most unsettling things, you generally do everything you can to not be reminded of it happening.

So it stands to reason that vets who had to go through that, generally won't care to discuss too many details of it. You know how, when you wake up after dreaming, all the details seem to dissipate almost immediately? Well, think of what that would be like for veterans, only those dreams (or nightmares, in this case) aren't actually dreams, but things that actually happened, and those details don't just vanish the moment they wake up. That's kinda what it's like.

There are good war stories these people are willing to share. The ones that involve masculinity at it's most dominant, or whatever you wanna call it? Nah. 

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Dodgeryaqui8016 said:

The Ducks and Sharks were those two teams that "got it right the first time" like the Padres and Marlins. 

I'm with you on the sharks, but i actually don't mind the current Ducks color scheme. I'm just not a fan of the Ducks wordmark or D web logo, I actually prefer the Wild Wing original logo with the current colors. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

7 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

He basically wanted them to be the West Point Boston Bruins of Anaheim. And he also did just that with the Chilliwack Bruins.

When the Ducks rebranded I recall the presser claiming that the gold represents "the passion and excitement the fans bring to the building every night". I'm not sure what beige is supposed to say about your fanbase, but okay. I liked to think it was a play on California being the Golden State, much like their OC orange. But knowing it's only there because of Burke's stupid military fetish has soured me on it somewhat.

I seem to remember @TruColor being a bit stunned upon the unveiling, because he had the official PANTONE values for the Ducks rebrand in advance, and they were dark green, orange, and copper/bronze. Burkie had other ideas late in the process, apparently.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The switch to black, beige, and orange was not great, but the half-measures they've taken to get out of it have made them even worse than they were to begin with, as these half-measures often go. 

usp-nhl_-anaheim-ducks-at-arizona-coyote

These are absolutely hideous, bottom of the league for sure.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

The switch to black, beige, and orange was not great, but the half-measures they've taken to get out of it have made them even worse than they were to begin with, as these half-measures often go. 

Looks much better with the webfoot D by itself instead of the full name that was used when the name change first occurred.

c3c87c17e967be39.jpg

As far as everyone's feelings about Brian Burke, I am reminded of Jim Cornette's rant about the NWO.

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

I actually like the road whites. *shrug* The colors pop better, and it actually gives use to the shoulder yoke, unlike the home blacks. I find them more pleasing than the home blacks, which at this point feel kind of drab, tired and played out.

All in all, should've just put the D on the front from the start and stuck with it. All the tinkering with this set has been a tad bothersome (From the Cup uniform, to the EDGE modifications, to the third, to adjusting the collar when the white was added, now the Adidas collars). For all 13 years as the Mighty Ducks, excluding alternates, they had one primary set. In the 12 years since becoming the Anaheim Ducks, again excluding alternates, they've had three primary looks. 2007 Cup year, 7 years of original EDGE (which, sure, in concept are the same, but there's enough damaging change that I count it separate) and 5 years of the current D primaries (four years previous as an alternate).

Seriously, just pick the orange jersey with the Mighty Ducks logo and stick with that for a good long while. Or take the current alternate and make the jade parts orange. Either way, stick with something.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived