MLB x NIKE [Outtakes: Alternate Color Schemes (Series Complete)]

MJD7

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coincidentally, I've also used powder blue/brown in a past Cubs concept (though I kept things predominantly blue, aside from using brown pinstripes).  This said, brown/green is very interesting, and dare I say it works very well.  

Really, as long as you steer clear of maroon/powder blue, you're probably good.  Not even being blue-dominant would save that scheme from screaming Phillies.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

23 hours ago, Discrimihater said:

Coincidentally, I've also used powder blue/brown in a past Cubs concept (though I kept things predominantly blue, aside from using brown pinstripes).  This said, brown/green is very interesting, and dare I say it works very well.  

Really, as long as you steer clear of maroon/powder blue, you're probably good.  Not even being blue-dominant would save that scheme from screaming Phillies.

Thanks! And yea, that color scheme wasn’t even in consideration thankfully.

Moving forward with the Cincinnati Reds!

sLKHWcT.png

9IbFt2D.png

jTG0a60.pngaqnOYEW.pnghBjYuYV.png

• Going with simple red/white would probably result in a better look overall, but since I’m trying out tinted roads this series I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to try multiple shades of red again. The darker maroon shade is taken from the 2015 All-Star Game branding. The away has a red tint to it, almost resulting in a rose gold sort of shade.
  • The red alternate now uses the clean “Reds” script, and the BP and throwback are both inspired by Mr. Red himself.

C+C would be greatly appreciated!

Holy crap I have nice things to say about the Reds.  Damn you @MJD7 :P

I really like the reddish gray you used on the road set, and the throwback is pretty sharp too.  Red/maroon is definitely a good way to give em a unique look in the sporting landscape.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

2 hours ago, Discrimihater said:

Holy crap I have nice things to say about the Reds.  Damn you @MJD7 :P

I really like the reddish gray you used on the road set, and the throwback is pretty sharp too.  Red/maroon is definitely a good way to give em a unique look in the sporting landscape.

Haha! I'm glad you like it.

6 hours ago, coco1997 said:

The Reds look pretty good! Not sure how I feel about the rose-tinted road uniform, but it would certainly be unique. 

2 hours ago, coco1997 said:

If you're going to roll with maroon as the secondary color, how about using the Reds' brighter shade of red from the '60s?

http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/t6f7rhg03n7ig82bd7xymr8rw/Cincinnati_Reds/1968/Cap_Logo

Thanks. It turns out the Reds have actually used a bunch of different shades of red throughout their history, I originally opted for one that is brighter than their current shade (according to TruColor.net, it was used from 1968-1990 and again from 1994-2012). I'll try the brightest shade that they used from '91 to '93. Here is a comparison of old vs. new:

mmicKmT.pnggaaxRXU.png

Does this work better? Let me know what you think.

On 6/8/2019 at 10:39 PM, coco1997 said:

There’s definitely better contrast between the maroon and the older, brighter shade of red.

Alright, here is the set with the brighter shade of red.

Y6tzSOp.pngmOlvWA4.pngWj68ZAd.png

lsDofww.pngmRh4SwT.png

I do think it's a slight improvement. The Brewers should hopefully be up soon.

Moving forward with the Milwaukee Brewers!

SL7fX2D.pngYxYk0uV.pngNnzhgLK.pngZP0Q2Cy.png7CgDel3.pngabKjju3.png

• Of course, royal & yellow make their long-awaited comeback full-time, as does the "mb" glove logo as the primary.
  • I don't hate the current wordmarks as much as most people seem to, but I decided to clean them up of unnecessary outlines and drop-shadows that keep the look in the 2000's. The wormarks have a single outline and a drop-shadow of the same color.
  • I did drop the Times New Roman number font though, in favor of one that has a more "bulbous" feel to it, to match the cap logo & wordmarks. The number font is actually a modified version of the Houston Texans' font, and the NOB font is a modified version of the Cleveland Browns' font.
  • The away naturally has a powder tint to it, with yellow letters inspired by one of my favorite Brewers uniforms, the inaugural away set. The throwback is also inspired by the home version of this set.
  • The "Han Solo pants" striping pattern is inspired by Mr. Barrelman, and by beer barrels in general.
  • The blue alternate takes away outlines for improved legibility, and adds a yellow brim to the cap to bring a bit of a modern flair, inspired by the current alternate BP cap.
  • The yellow alternate brings back the yellow front panel cap, which I suppose can be worn occasionally with any other uniform.
  • The Packers sock pattern on the Turn Back the Clock set is inspired by @SFGiants58's magnificent take on the Brew Crew. I love this sock pattern for the Brewers, it fits perfectly. I was almost tempted to make it the sock pattern of the entire set like he did.

Hopefully this was a nice, modern update to the Brewers that brings together the two separate identities they've had into one cohesive, iconic brand. I'd love to hear what you all think on this one!

You've improved the wordmarks, but it still amounts to polishing a turd.  I would also prefer the script and numbers on the roads to be blue rather than gold.  I see you took a lot of inspiration from the Seattle Pilots hand-me-downs here, but the Brewers barely acknowledge that element of their history and for good reason.  I also think the number font is a bit too close to the Cubs.

But apart from that I dig pretty much everything else you've done here.  Love the piping pattern! 

On 6/11/2019 at 5:12 PM, NicDB said:

You've improved the wordmarks, but it still amounts to polishing a turd.  I would also prefer the script and numbers on the roads to be blue rather than gold.  I see you took a lot of inspiration from the Seattle Pilots hand-me-downs here, but the Brewers barely acknowledge that element of their history and for good reason.  I also think the number font is a bit too close to the Cubs.

But apart from that I dig pretty much everything else you've done here.  Love the piping pattern! 

Thank you, it’s nice to hear opinions coming from a fan of the team. Just out of curiosity, what wordmarks would you use for the Brewers?

I don’t think the blue script works on the road personally, because the yellow blends with the powder.

IisnM5Q.png

Personally, I prefer the "Robin 3,000" era scripts.
spacer.png
spacer.png

The 80s scripts could work too... it seems like the powder blue you've chosen is less saturated than what the Brewers used in the past.  Maybe tweaking it closer to the famous 1982 uniforms would solve the contrast issue?
spacer.png
spacer.png

On 6/16/2019 at 6:25 PM, NicDB said:

Personally, I prefer the "Robin 3,000" era scripts.
spacer.png
spacer.png

The 80s scripts could work too... it seems like the powder blue you've chosen is less saturated than what the Brewers used in the past.  Maybe tweaking it closer to the famous 1982 uniforms would solve the contrast issue?
spacer.png
spacer.png

On 6/16/2019 at 10:06 PM, fouhy12 said:

I think the Brewers are perfect, except for the road uniform. I like the blue text better than the yellow. 

To be honest, I've never really been a fan of any of the Brewers' past scripts. They just look a bit generic to me. The powder is intentionally less saturated than it was in the past, as it's supposed to be a tint to a gray uniform. In the spirit of that 82 set, however, I was so close to going with my throwback uniform for the main set, so here's what it would look like:

CJE24Ha.png3ZnZ7fn.pngYTi03II.pngkbGw7HW.png

Let me know what you think.

Honestly, I could live with these. I still have concerns about the gold on powder blue in regards to how legibile it'd be on an actual moving player, but this looks like a much more cohesive set than your last effort. And both of those alts are beauts!

Archived