MLB x NIKE [Outtakes: Alternate Color Schemes (Series Complete)]

MJD7

Could you possibly make the home teal less eye-bleeding?

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Paul Lucas said:

You make Arizona look great!!! Fantastic series, brother.

Thank you so much!

4 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Simple but highly effective decision to switch the colors of the script/numbers from black to red. It really makes the colors pop, especially the turquoise. 

👍

Thank you! I did forget to mention that, but I felt it was a necessary switch to inject some red into the set.

2 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I love that you brought back cream for the home set! Overall this is a big improvement over their current look that nevertheless doesn't deviate too far from what they wear now. 

My only nitpick would be to make the socks on the fauxback purple instead of black. 

Thanks! You're definitely right about the socks, I originally made them black to differentiate from the Rockies, but it probably won't make a difference since they almost certainly won't wear the fauxbacks against them. I also added the sock stripe pattern in because I think it looks good.

RYN6XHL.png

Speaking of the Rockies, they'll be up next! Any more comments would be appreciated in the meantime!

Next up we have the Rockies!

SS2fiip.png4EHg0CU.pngpctennH.pngoUzqjQZ.pngXYrEKJp.png

• I decided to try the suggestion I made in @SFGiants58's amazing Project 32 thread of doing a double-purple with the Rockies, without any black. The main shade is the Minnesota Vikings' shade of purple, as I love how it looks by itself on a white background. The away has a lavender tint to it, which is unique among the main sets of this series. It's also used as an accent color in the other uniform sets.
  • The striping pattern is based on the Rockies' original road uniform, as well as the Colorado flag.
  • The number font is based on the peaks in the Rockies mountain logo, which also shows up more subtly on the sleeves of the main set.
  • The Turn Back the Clock set is inspired by the Denver Bears' uniform, as well as the aforementioned Colorado flag.

Hopefully this is a set that allows the Rockies' to embrace their iconic color more and stand out as their own identity among the rest of the league. Any comments/criticisms are appreciated!

On 7/10/2019 at 7:57 AM, MJD7 said:

After a little bit of a break, we start off the final division with the Arizona Diamondbacks!

NcC67Gz.pngMOBCYkU.pngGdykR4q.pngqGOO4Xy.pngWrFj05D.png7qBTgPX.png

• Although I'd personally prefer the Diamondbacks to embrace the brick red more, they very clearly seem to be promoting the black, along with turquoise. I decided to try and run with that this time around, with sand being completely dropped from the identity. Off-white comes back in its place as the base for the home uniform, along with acting as an accent color on the brick red alternate and BP jersey. The away has more of a sand-tint to it as opposed to going with a full-on sand road uniform.
  • The main striping pattern is based off of the 90's alternates. The Turn Back the Clock is also based off of the purple version of those uniforms.
  • The brick elements of the 2nd alternate (cap, belt, & socks) could be worn with the main home & away uniforms on occasion. In fact, I would personally hope that they’d do it often.

I think that's about it, hopefully this still helps the Diamondbacks to be a modern, cutting edge team while also still having a clean, concise identity that doesn't try to do too much. Let me know what you think!

The striping pattern looks really neat in current colors. Loved this D-Backs set and the purple throwbacks!

FyVfBOy.png

Sc4Eo24.png

Really like your take on the Rockies! An inverted version of the purple alt--white with purple headspoon piping--would actually be my ideal for what their primary home uniform would look like. 

The throwback design is an absolute gem, as well!

On 7/13/2019 at 10:10 PM, Eastport76 said:

The striping pattern looks really neat in current colors. Loved this D-Backs set and the purple throwbacks!

On 7/13/2019 at 10:21 PM, Eastport76 said:

the gradient throwback is my favorite of the Rays set.

Thanks! I really like the Rays set too.

3 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Really like your take on the Rockies! An inverted version of the purple alt--white with purple headspoon piping--would actually be my ideal for what their primary home uniform would look like. 

The throwback design is an absolute gem, as well!

Thanks! Here's a look at what your idea of the primary home would be like:

swh56jQ.png

I think I prefer the original just because it looks cleaner to me, but I never thought of this design, and it's not a bad look itself!

Any other comments on the Rockies, or just on the series in general anyone?

On 7/16/2019 at 5:06 PM, BellaSpurs said:

Would love to see the fauxback rays vs fauxback Rockies, I love the bears inspiration, it might be my favorite uniform you’ve done yet

Thank you, I really appreciate it! I'm glad the inspiration came to be because it almost didn't!

The Dodgers will be up soon.

Here are the Dodgers!

aX1XMho.pngW7y2gNN.pngjTElIq1.pngf2Nm8Gx.pngyalwpYi.png

• Can't stray too far from the classics, but some changes were made that could be considered quite significant. The most notable one is the change of the number font, I decided to use Rockwell, based off of this Dodgers anniversary logo, and the team's overall 60's aesthetic since moving to Los Angeles. If you guys don’t like this font, I have one that’s a little “blockier” if you guys want to see.
  • The away has a deep royal blue tint to it, and reverts back to the "Los Angeles" script but without any piping.
  • The royal alternate has t-bar striping based off of the light blue alternate of the 40's.
  • The Turn Back the Clock set is based off of the window-pane set of 1916, as the Los Angeles years don't really offer much variance in terms of throwback designs.

Since the Dodgers are technically a blue & red team, for the alternate take I decided to remove the famous Dodger Blue, and put kelly green in its place. The decision to go with this scheme was based on Brooklyn's one-year use of it in 1937. It's a heavily underrated color scheme, and would fit well with the Los Angeles area, considering the Los Angeles and California flags. I thought about adding some yellow into the set, but decided it would become too busy.

LmNFYQC.pnggBWcrrz.pngbfeWOxc.png

I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts, thanks for following!

These jerseys are NICE. Only suggestion is to turn the name font into something cursive...... 

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

These are really good I especially like the green versions, plus there's some history with green, I believe the team wore it 1937. They did it as sort of a change of pace to see if it would help break a run of bad seasons, it didn't obviously or else I'd imagine they'd be wearing it. 

uig7aiht8jnpl1szbi57zzlsh.gif4jzjfvwxifvemelyh9xjbnyr4.gifefvfv5b5g1zgpsf56gb04lthx.gif594153172016.gif

Kershaw is GOD! Kershaw is LIFE! Kershaw is ALL!

Surprised by how much I like the Dodgers in green! My only nitpick is that the red front numbers on the alt kind of bleed into the green jersey. I guess the only way around that would be to add a white outline to the numbers? If you really wanted to be be bold you could add yellow as a trim color to go for an LA flag theme.

The main set is also great. Can’t help but love that checkered design.

Diamondbacks - You've done a fantastic job of toning down their current identity and redistributing their colors. That pattern trim is always good to see, especially in the new color scheme. I also like how you've dropped the D-Backs wordmark by branding around the "A" and snake logos. While inaccurate, I like the fauxback with the purple socks more. Heck, seeing the whole set in purple/turquoise/copper/black accents would be fantastic! Good work.

Rockies - It's good to see you basing the set around the wordmark/insignia inlays, what with the double stripes and the inlay block (it could do without the mid-stroke flares, but that's down to personal preference). Mountain trim and the lavender-based road uniform are also nice to see. I think I like the "CR" home uniform a little more than the "Rockies" one, if only because the "CR" takes care of both location and nickname, while the added placket stripes help the dual-stripe motif. The throwback is well-made, but I'd recommend using a more appropriate number font. Well done!

Dodgers - My one recommendation would be to make the Rockwell numbers a little bolder, to fit in more with the "LA" logo and to strengthen their presence. Other than that, well done! I like both the alternates (especially the checkerboard design) and the decision to go trim-free on the road. The green/red does kind of falter on the green jersey, so I'd add a white outline. Still, it's a fantastic alternate color scheme.

I remember making a Dodgers concept of that checkered design.  Even though the Brooklyn original is one of my favorite uniforms of all time, when I had enough time to kinda self-critique my work...well, I found myself thinking my LA version was a poor fit for the location.  Can't really explain why, it just felt off.  Somehow, your version feels like it might be a better fit for where the Dodgers are now.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

On 7/18/2019 at 6:13 PM, Eastport76 said:

Loved the alternate and the number font is pretty unique and perfectly matches the classic "LA" cap logo. I love it.

l would love to see the Giants next.

Thank you so much! I'm glad you like it. The Padres will be coming up next, but the Giants will be right after that!

On 7/19/2019 at 8:05 PM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Great job on the Dodgers. 

The checkered alternate is my favorite. 

Thanks! I'm pleasantly surprised by the nice feedback it's gotten.

On 7/19/2019 at 8:12 PM, Andrew_Gamer_NZP said:

I've always loved the Dodgers uniforms. And green is my personal favorite color. The fact that this concept will never be realized hurts my soul deeply. These are amazing!

Thank you! I've really come to love kelly & red as a color scheme, and was glad to have it come to fruition here!

On 7/19/2019 at 11:02 PM, masterchaoss said:

These are really good I especially like the green versions, plus there's some history with green, I believe the team wore it 1937. They did it as sort of a change of pace to see if it would help break a run of bad seasons, it didn't obviously or else I'd imagine they'd be wearing it. 

You are correct, they sure did! I forgot to mention it originally (but have added it in to the post now), but that was absolutely one of my inspirations for going with the scheme in the first place. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if they did help break up the bad run like you said.

On 7/20/2019 at 12:47 AM, coco1997 said:

Surprised by how much I like the Dodgers in green! My only nitpick is that the red front numbers on the alt kind of bleed into the green jersey. I guess the only way around that would be to add a white outline to the numbers? If you really wanted to be be bold you could add yellow as a trim color to go for an LA flag theme.

The main set is also great. Can’t help but love that checkered design.

You're right, it was bothering me too that the red numbers bled on the green jersey, it's been updated above with a white outline, which I think looks a lot better.

Here's a version of the set with yellow added, going all-in with the LA flag, inspired by @SFGiants58's Los Angeles Athletics set.

bXSObkz.png3wNYQkP.pngEpYhCEE.png

Using yellow as an outline worked really well on the main home & away, but I sort of had to embrace the "rasta" colors completely on the alternate.

23 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Diamondbacks - You've done a fantastic job of toning down their current identity and redistributing their colors. That pattern trim is always good to see, especially in the new color scheme. I also like how you've dropped the D-Backs wordmark by branding around the "A" and snake logos. While inaccurate, I like the fauxback with the purple socks more. Heck, seeing the whole set in purple/turquoise/copper/black accents would be fantastic! Good work.

Rockies - It's good to see you basing the set around the wordmark/insignia inlays, what with the double stripes and the inlay block (it could do without the mid-stroke flares, but that's down to personal preference). Mountain trim and the lavender-based road uniform are also nice to see. I think I like the "CR" home uniform a little more than the "Rockies" one, if only because the "CR" takes care of both location and nickname, while the added placket stripes help the dual-stripe motif. The throwback is well-made, but I'd recommend using a more appropriate number font. Well done!

Dodgers - My one recommendation would be to make the Rockwell numbers a little bolder, to fit in more with the "LA" logo and to strengthen their presence. Other than that, well done! I like both the alternates (especially the checkerboard design) and the decision to go trim-free on the road. The green/red does kind of falter on the green jersey, so I'd add a white outline. Still, it's a fantastic alternate color scheme.

Thanks for the feedback!

Yea, there was no way I was using "D-Backs," it's got to be my least favorite moniker in the league. I also like the purple socks more for the fauxback. I'd be happy to show you a full version of the set in the fauxback colors! Here's a look:

socg4bc.pngxGnoJb6.pngD6Ixext.pngkdzU3PF.png

The only uniform I'm not too big of a fan of is the black jersey. I think it could probably even be taken out and replaced with something more unique like a copper or turquoise alternate.

As for the Rockies throwback, so far I've mostly been able to keep the same number font for the fauxbacks as has been used in the main set. I have now taken the "spikes" off of the throwback though to create a more regular block font, which would have been expected in the time period.

For the Dodgers, I updated the original post to make the numbers a little bolder, which definitely does pair better with the strong LA logo. Great suggestion! I wouldn't have even noticed they were a little too thin.

14 hours ago, Discrimihater said:

I remember making a Dodgers concept of that checkered design.  Even though the Brooklyn original is one of my favorite uniforms of all time, when I had enough time to kinda self-critique my work...well, I found myself thinking my LA version was a poor fit for the location.  Can't really explain why, it just felt off.  Somehow, your version feels like it might be a better fit for where the Dodgers are now.

Yea, the Dodgers don't really give a lot of options when it comes to unique fauxback ideas. I would have gone with the famous powder blue set, but I think that would have been a little predictable. I totally understand what you're saying in that it doesn't quite feel like "LA," I had that same thought while making it. I think in the age now where literal sleeveless jerseys and shorts are starting to make a comeback and wacky Stance sock designs are the norm, I think it's more fit to work, in a quirky way.

I really appreciate all of the feedback everybody, the Padres will be up next!

Archived