MLB x NIKE [Outtakes: Alternate Color Schemes (Series Complete)]

MJD7

On 8/24/2019 at 7:16 PM, coco1997 said:

I like it! One idea I had along similar lines to yours is to was to have one league in black and the other in white, but the trim color and outlines would be specific to each team. Padres would be brown, A’s Kelly green, White Sox silver, etc. 

Haha, I just posted this in the other thread without seeing your post.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here now we have an expansion team that everybody probably saw coming at some point, here are the Portland Beavers!

UYVgBnt.pngjoJQe6T.pngxPK1h3b.png7rGu5tO.pngSWvtPUX.png

• Another refresh of one of my Redesigns sets, the Portland Beavers get updated with a deep cardinal and kelly green color scheme, much like I did in the updated version of the set. Off-white is taken out of the main set to clean things up a bit.
  • The throwback set is based off of the Beavers' old uniforms. It doesn't necessarily throw back to too long ago, but the set still has that vintage feel that I really like for this team.

Other than that though, I feel like this set mostly speaks for itself. Let me know what you think!

If an expansion team in London has virtually no chance of actually happening, this is even less likely, but here are the Rome Wolves!

xPsJrG3.png0m2X4MC.pngh0Gqpzo.pngW37J5ak.png77QEAnI.pngjhvAsMU.pngt6Gnwj2.png

• The namesake of this team is inspired by the she-wolf in the myth of the foundation of Rome. The colors are derived from AS Roma. The main striping is inspired by @bkknight95's Virginia Tech set in his 1972 project.
  • The cream & sand uniform bases are based on the shades of stone of the Colosseum.
  • The front numbers are centered on the main uniforms, giving the set a bit more of a basketball/soccer feel.
  • The BP derives its primary logo from the Arizona Fall League's Glendale Desert Dogs.
  • Like London (and Toronto) before them, Rome gets their own "Country Pride" alternate, complete with the green & red of Italy's flag, to be worn on special occasions.

That's about it, I'd love to hear what you all think on these last two teams!

On 9/1/2019 at 3:15 PM, Paul Lucas said:

Nice work throughout! 

Are they the “Roma Wolves” (uniforms) or the “Rome Wolves” (title)? I like Roma Wolves.

Thanks! I imagine depending on the application (English or Italian) they could be both, but I do agree with you that Roma Wolves probably sounds better.

23 hours ago, Eastport76 said:

Portland Beavers are excellent. Loved the unique colors.

Loved the Wolves set, especially the centered numbers and colours of the Colosseum.

Great Work!

Thank you, I appreciate it!

Only 3 expansion teams left, one of which we have now with the Salt Lake Bees!

KMkOgFD.pngRC1FJ6L.png0laPK2P.pngWzqFcp6.png7xDHujW.pngvob5Dfg.png

• Another update/refresh of one of my Redesigns sets, with the overall goal of making it look cleaner and more befitting of a modern Major League club. Hypothetically being the only navy & yellow team in MLB has its perks as well.
  • The main home set is now primarily navy and has a new straight "Bees" wordmark, to match the away, which now has a powder-blue-tinted base.
  • The alternates are based off of Boston Bees uniforms of the past.
  • The BP embraces the cartoon bee, and the fauxback is the home set from my Redesigns series. I honestly imagine the fauxback would be as popular if not more so than the primary home, and might even take over has the primary in a few years time.

I'd love to hear your thoughts, comment down below what you think!

Beavers: I like the clean-up work done here! Off-white really knocks this set up to a higher level.

Roma: I like going in a non-traditional direction for the Europe teams. The shoulder stripes and use of the AC Roma-style fonts and color scheme was an excellent choice. The Italia set is also fantastic, but I’d like to see it with some “National team” blue, out of curiosity. Good work!

Bees: Aside from arching the wordmarks and maybe inverting white and navy on the yellow jersey, I cant think of many other way to improve them! You’ve cleaned them up pretty well. 

On 9/7/2019 at 4:16 PM, heavybassX said:

Totally the buzz on this expansion team.

On 9/8/2019 at 1:09 AM, coco1997 said:

The Bees look great! Obviously yellow and black makes more sense for them, but yellow & navy looks pretty good, too.

Thanks! Yea, I definitely wanted to go with navy & yellow, as the Bees already look a bit much like a Pirates derivative, plus the scheme would be unique and would fit with the Jazz.

On 9/7/2019 at 9:21 PM, BellaSpurs said:

I would arch the wordmarks but other wise I’m a big fan!

16 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Beavers: I like the clean-up work done here! Off-white really knocks this set up to a higher level.

Roma: I like going in a non-traditional direction for the Europe teams. The shoulder stripes and use of the AC Roma-style fonts and color scheme was an excellent choice. The Italia set is also fantastic, but I’d like to see it with some “National team” blue, out of curiosity. Good work!

Bees: Aside from arching the wordmarks and maybe inverting white and navy on the yellow jersey, I cant think of many other way to improve them! You’ve cleaned them up pretty well. 

Thanks! I think I'd like to keep the wordmarks straight for the Bees, partially because I don't have the ability to arch wordmarks like that, but also because I think it's a nice unique look for them.

@SFGiants58, here is a look at Roma with about as much blue infused as I could. I love the flag stripes, so those stay. If I added any more blue it'd basically become @Victormrey and I's take on Italy in our WBC series.

OsoGV3e.png

Also, here's a look at your suggestions for the yellow alt for the Bees, as well as a more yellow-heavy take on the home & away uniforms. I like that this would distance them more from the Pirates, my only concern being that the primary home would look awfully close to the throwback. Any suggestions for what to do with either of those two uniforms are welcome.

QEDwbkp.pngfPeLlUi.pnggVrh9i3.png

On 9/12/2019 at 1:09 PM, Eastport76 said:

Looking good. But I feeling is something missing.

What about a alternate based by Jazz's gradient city uniforms? I'll love to see that.

I think that would be a tad too derivative of the NBA club for my tastes. I did use the Jazz's City Edition colors as inspiration for my Las Vegas set, though. 

On 9/12/2019 at 1:23 PM, coco1997 said:

I think I prefer the updated Bees with the yellow scripts. Nice work!

On 9/13/2019 at 12:28 PM, coco1997 said:

Random idea, how about making the Bees throwback the primary home uniform and basing the throwback off this design:

spacer.png

Maybe in off-white like some of your other throwbacks?

Thanks! I wanted to implement that uniform somehow, and it mostly made its way in through the original home uniform. Using off-white as a base is a nice idea, though. How does this look?

1NoUZCW.png

It's definitely more clearly a "throwback" uniform, which I like.

Apologies for the delay, but here is the next expansion team, the San Antonio Missions!

Sgiuv9t.pngnUASR8o.png0QAVqvd.pngP01BXD1.pngfwSccA6.pngsZerQ4E.png

• I really love the name, and the newest logo-set is pretty nice, but something just feels... missing, having the set in navy & red. To fix this, I brought gold up to primary status and paired it with forest green, a color which would now be unique in MLB, with my A's set reverting to kelly. This hopefully creates a natural-feeling scheme that fits well with the Missions' overall branding.
  • The main set takes inspiration from classic baseball striping, with a modern twist. The main cap style is inspired by this Missions' 1934 cap.
  • The BP features a "SA" logo modified from the wordmark by me, and the Turn Back the Clock set reverts more directly to the Missions' 1939 uniform.

One more expansion team left! C+C is appreciated.

Archived