MLB x NIKE [Outtakes: Alternate Color Schemes (Series Complete)]

MJD7

3 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Love the Missions concept! The shades of green and gold are different enough to really distinguish them from the A's. The cream uniforms create a nice classy, vintage feel. 

P.S. The new Bees throwback is exactly what I was picturing!

Thank you! I'm glad you like them.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm gonna go ahead and post the final expansion team, so here they are, the Diablos del México!

NffglYh.pngnHiz5PX.pngEE1UwGq.pngaokv8TP.pngfLyf8Q8.pngFuYwKVV.png

• The identity is based off of the Diablos Rojos del México of the Mexican League. Athletic gold is promoted to a secondary color in the main set (inspired by this uniform), to distinguish from the Reds and create another unique color scheme in the league.
  • The striping is based on the curvature of the wordmark, and there is a small arrow at the bottom of the pants stripe to match & tie into the theme as well.
  • The red alternate is based off of this uniform and this cap, while the BP cap takes its inspiration from this Diablos Rojos cap
  • The Turn Back the Clock set is based on this Mexico City throwback. The Mariners-inspired cap logo comes from this alternate.
  • The Country Pride Alternate derived its design from this uniform as well as the Mexico flag.

And that wraps up the expansion teams! I'd love to hear what anyone thinks. I have a few outtakes to show you guys and then we'll be done!

Alright I'm gonna start off showing you guys some outtakes, beginning with some alternate Turn Back the Clock Options, first off with the American League!

Chicago White Sox: A couple of designs based on the famous 80's "SOX" set.

9Tb1XEw.png9H3rEb1.png

Cleveland Indians: A design based on the red-heavy 60's look, and one based on the Major League racing stripes.

jQ5ilwE.pngHq2wPxR.png

Oakland Athletics: A couple of vest looks, as recommended by @coco1997.

zweplNL.pngoLhqMnV.png

Seattle Mariners: A couple of similar fauxbacks based on the Mariners' 1978 uniforms.

SekPqJl.pngxkiKWIo.png

Tampa Bay Rays: A full set of the 80's fauxbacks, as well as a navy iteration of the gradient TBTC uniform.

tjmRliG.pngPPNMJLk.pngYLDd8Qh.pngEhKg8ge.png

Texas Rangers: Based on the Rangers 1994 (I believe?) fauxback to the Senators before they moved to Arlington.

us8B9IU.png

That's all I have prepared for now, but please feel free to suggest any fauxbacks you would like to see! Also let me know what you think!

20 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Nice job on both the Diablos! As usual I love the throwback set.

Also great work on all the fauxbacks! Looking forward to the NL!

Thank you!

Now we'll move on to the National League!

Arizona Diamondbacks: Based on Arizona's original home uniform, complete with the off-white cap option.

HvHyMlh.png

Atlanta Braves: Home version of the 70's feather uniforms.

aBOkwWX.png

Chicago Cubs: A uniform based on the 1957 full-team-name uniforms.

r0kGpVh.png

Cincinnati Reds: 1936 and 1967 fauxbacks.

xhN4D5r.pngcu0i1TX.png

Colorado Rockies: A fauxback based on the Denver Bears' "Strike Zone" uniform, utilizing a script created by Jesse Alkire.

NS5gMUj.png

Miami Marlins: Previously seen 50's and 90's fauxbacks, along with a new teal option.

gQ7yOi8.png69fHAJx.pngt5tG4yh.png

Montreal Expos: Two light blue alternates inspired by @SFGiants58's beautiful take on the team.

w4OQEUA.pngzEo2L6B.png

Philadelphia Phillies: An all maroon set like the uniform they wore this year.

S2zPtFW.png

San Diego Padres: A couple more 80's fauxbacks, one based on the home uniform and one based on the yellow BP jersey.

LZxvNwE.pngxC3x1T6.png

San Francisco Giants: An inversion of the orange fauxback, an alternate road option based off the late 80's set, and a San Francisco Seals fauxback.

FOF1845.pngJUtoiOA.pngKjFFw3X.png

St. Louis Cardinals: A fauxback based on the 80's BP set.

mVzePBr.png

That's what I've got, any & all feedback/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The expansion teams fauxbacks will be coming up next.

You've done excellent work with the Missions, really going for a modern spin on the traditional designs. The Diablos are also a good one, with both the modern scripts and the semi-traditional/unusual striping patterns. 

The AL and NL fauxbacks are both pretty neat, with some real stand-outs (e.g., both Cleveland designs, the Rangers' pinstripes, the Rays' gradient, both Expos powder sets - thanks for the shout-out, the home Padres jersey, the Marlins' whole set, and the Giants' "SF" grey). I can send you a more appropriate Mariners number font, if you want it. 

21 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

You've done excellent work with the Missions, really going for a modern spin on the traditional designs. The Diablos are also a good one, with both the modern scripts and the semi-traditional/unusual striping patterns. 

The AL and NL fauxbacks are both pretty neat, with some real stand-outs (e.g., both Cleveland designs, the Rangers' pinstripes, the Rays' gradient, both Expos powder sets - thanks for the shout-out, the home Padres jersey, the Marlins' whole set, and the Giants' "SF" grey). I can send you a more appropriate Mariners number font, if you want it. 

Thank you! I appreciate it. I think the Mariners font fits pretty well as-is, but another option for a font couldn't hurt!

Wrapping up the fauxback options, we have the proposed expansion teams:

Charlotte Knights: A more 80's-fied version of the home, as well as a teal iteration of the Hornets fauxback uniform.

FxIcEaN.pngtb4zfKe.png

Mexico City Diablos: A uniform inspired by the Diablos Rojos' red alt with the Mariners trident, along with three 80's Padres-styled fauxback iterations.

MJdcveh.pngrxRuCI3.pngdw8b892.pngogOBwaY.png

Nashville Sounds: Orange and red versions of the current fauxback, complete with a new Tennessee flag cap.

79Smva3.pngQmeYThC.png

That's about it for the expansion teams, as most of them (especially the off-white ones) didn't really need a different option. If you have any suggestions though let me know, if not I have just a few alternate color schemes I'd like to show you all and then we'll wrap it up!

On 9/29/2019 at 4:32 PM, coco1997 said:

Digging those Sounds throwbacks and the Padres-style Diablos!

On 9/29/2019 at 5:25 PM, rjrrzube said:

Also like that the MXC throwback font is a nod, intentional or otherwise, to the AA El Paso Diablos of the '70s.

Thanks, you're right! Completely unintentional, but the looks are very similar.

Although I have plenty of alternate color schemes that I mocked up just for fun, this series would continue forever if I tried showing them all. So I've decided on just a few of my favorites I wanted to show you guys, and here they are!

Baltimore Orioles: A simple swap of brown into the current scheme, inspired by the St. Louis Browns.

EXHfybZ.png4JzDGov.pngzdGBNIu.pngM7QW0pH.png

Charlotte Knights: A black & carolina blue scheme to have some more brand synchronism with the neighboring Panthers.

PqyUyhh.pngAo1QG22.pnglb7JTKV.png

San Diego Padres: With the long-awaited upcoming return to brown & yellow, this is my one last attempt to salvage the navy, complete with the "SD" mark on all the jerseys inspired by the 2016 ASG uniform.

sB9oQOM.pngydXwix4.png6437qD1.png

Tampa Bay Rays: A double-green attempt on my current design of their set, resulting in an undoubtedly unique scheme.

1i3Qhac.pngQZUoWVN.pngnpabxEs.pngYhWdIEl.png

Texas Rangers: As recently suggested by @jacobrgroman in the 2020 Padres thread, here is a brown & powder blue take on the Rangers, an idea which I quite like.

frI1CG3.pngs6WJsyR.pngUyUc7OQ.pngkB1qdMN.png

I'd be happy to take some suggestions if anybody has them, but if not, that'll do it! Thanks to everybody who followed along at any point in the series, like I've said before this is probably the most fun I've had developing concepts, and I hope you enjoyed checking it out too. I'd love to hear any favorites you had over the course of the thread! 

Sincerely,

MJD7

On September 19, 2019 at 3:32 PM, MJD7 said:

I'm gonna go ahead and post the final expansion team, so here they are, the Diablos del México!

NffglYh.pngnHiz5PX.pngEE1UwGq.pngaokv8TP.pngfLyf8Q8.pngFuYwKVV.png

• The identity is based off of the Diablos Rojos del México of the Mexican League. Athletic gold is promoted to a secondary color in the main set (inspired by this uniform), to distinguish from the Reds and create another unique color scheme in the league.
  • The striping is based on the curvature of the wordmark, and there is a small arrow at the bottom of the pants stripe to match & tie into the theme as well.
  • The red alternate is based off of this uniform and this cap, while the BP cap takes its inspiration from this Diablos Rojos cap
  • The Turn Back the Clock set is based on this Mexico City throwback. The Mariners-inspired cap logo comes from this alternate.
  • The Country Pride Alternate derived its design from this uniform as well as the Mexico flag.

And that wraps up the expansion teams! I'd love to hear what anyone thinks. I have a few outtakes to show you guys and then we'll be done!

Good colour scheme, But I think the green/red is a better scheme  for Diablo Rojos. Also, it's very Mexican. Although, loved the uniforms especially the throwback beauties.

FyVfBOy.png

Sc4Eo24.png

Archived