MLB x NIKE [Outtakes: Alternate Color Schemes (Series Complete)]

MJD7

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A: the second set gives me Phillies vibes, though it still looks great.

B: the arched Cleveland never worked for me. Could you do the Cleveland wordmark the Indians wordmark treatment? Good job!

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

On 3/16/2019 at 4:42 PM, Andrew_Gamer_NZP said:

I'm interested.

Cleveland looks great. Even though I tend to like brighter color schemes, I really like the maroon and navy combo.

Thanks! I tend to like brighter schemes in general too, but this is one that just seemed to fit for me. Here's a look at brown & red, just for fun:

K2G4PSL.pnglw1rq0d.pngQAHmAbg.pngQfCVoA9.pngG6uzG1G.png

On 3/16/2019 at 6:38 PM, coco1997 said:

Great job on Cleveland!

I really dig the navy/maroon combo. I think you could lean into the Cavaliers look even more and add a splash of yellow-gold to break up the dark colors a bit. 

Thank you! Personally, I'm hesitant to add yellow into the look, just because I don't feel that it would fit, but I could maybe try other ways to break the dark colors up.

22 hours ago, Blindsay said:

A: the second set gives me Phillies vibes, though it still looks great.

B: the arched Cleveland never worked for me. Could you do the Cleveland wordmark the Indians wordmark treatment? Good job!

Thanks. I have a feeling when the Phillies come up, those vibes won't be there quite as much anymore🤔

Here's a look at a "Cleveland" script on the road; although I like the block letters better still, this look isn't half bad either:

s5qBrBe.png

On 3/19/2019 at 10:17 AM, Blindsay said:

Nice.

Thanks.

On 3/22/2019 at 12:21 AM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I might be nuts but I think leaning even more into the brown could be even better. For example, using brown undershirts on the home uniform. 

I think you're right. The co-balanced look doesn't seem to work quite as well with brown. Here's a look at a more brown-heavy home & alt uniform:

2vqayhI.pngnLCz00v.png

On 3/22/2019 at 5:35 AM, Victormrey said:

The Indians look stunning on the Cavs colours 🔥 I love the throwback with brown and red, but I prefer the maroon and navy idea.

Thank you! I prefer the maroon & navy too, if only for its uniqueness.

Here are the Tigers!

FXtDGtD.pngxz6h6fe.pngbg8roSw.pngljspHZU.png

• I retained the tiger-stripe pattern from my Redesigns series, as I feel it's something Nike would do if the Tigers gave them the opportunity to modernize their set. I also kept the Old English numbers and the newer "D" on the home uniform, as I actually like how it looks. I think it looks better with the headspoon removed on the home.
  • The away has a slight navy blue tint to it, and unnecessary white outlines are removed.
  • The Turn Back the Clock uniform is based off of the 1929 set, allowing for the occasional use of orange at home to make up for the lack of it in the main set. I also took this as an opportunity to use the team's nice "Tigers" script.

So, even though I gave the team 4 different caps and 4 different sock patterns, I think this still has the makings of a pretty classic set. I'd love to hear what you all think!

Nice job on the Tigers! I love the BP set.

I do miss the placket piping on the home uniform. I feel it’s an essential part of their classic look. I also think the tiger striping looks a little odd without orange.

Also, for the throwback, I’d love to see an adaptation of this uniform:

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/detail_page.asp?fileName=al_1929_detroit.gif&Entryid=464

On 3/23/2019 at 11:38 AM, coco1997 said:

Nice job on the Tigers! I love the BP set.

I do miss the placket piping on the home uniform. I feel it’s an essential part of their classic look. I also think the tiger striping looks a little odd without orange.

Also, for the throwback, I’d love to see an adaptation of this uniform:

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/detail_page.asp?fileName=al_1929_detroit.gif&Entryid=464

Thanks!  I will say, I do like the placket piping on the home, I just wanted to try something a little different for this iteration of the team, and I felt the placket clashed with the sleeve striping. My rationale for keeping orange off the home uniform was that it could reflect white bengal tigers.

As for the throwback, most of the elements are inspired by that 1929 uniform, but I just wanted to avoid repeating the Old English D, and also wanted to find a place to utilize the team’s nice “Tigers” script. I also tried to avoid white socks because of, well, the White Sox.

On 3/26/2019 at 9:54 PM, MJWalker45 said:

For Detriot I'd change the number font. It's difficult to read.

I tried making the font thicker, but that made it less readable. I don’t know what other font I would change it to, since the Yankees already have the Standard Block font.

Next, we have the Kansas City Royals!

DnsUxpY.pngTULNeRS.png088z4qr.pngkOTisNo.pngFGzGqYy.png

• The main raglan sleeve & stripe pattern is inspired by @Carolingian Steamroller's Kansas City Monarchs-inspired design. I was originally planning on going with my ermine coat sleeve pattern from the Redesigns series, but to be honest I never really liked that design that much. I feel like this direction better differentiates the Royals from the Dodgers and is better-looking design-wise.
  • The number font is Albertus, based on the 2012 MLB All-Star Game logo. The striping on the BP set is also loosely based on the banners in this logo and other royal courts.
  • Metallic gold is emphasized much more in this set, with powder blue eliminated from the main uniforms. The away does have a powder blue tint, though. I also added a crown on the cap to complete the "royal" effect.
  • The throwback calls back to the Royals famous powder blues, naturally. I decided to use the "Kansas City" wordmark and added a blue outline/dropshadow to bring the design slightly more into the modern day.

This is one of the bigger deviations of the series for sure, so I'd love to hear what you all think.

1 hour ago, MJD7 said:

I tried making the font thicker, but that made it less readable. I don’t know what other font I would change it to, since the Yankees already have the Standard Block font.

Possibly something similar to the Brewers number font or the Bruins?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 3/22/2019 at 8:59 PM, MJD7 said:

Here are the Tigers!

FXtDGtD.pngxz6h6fe.pngbg8roSw.pngljspHZU.png

• I retained the tiger-stripe pattern from my Redesigns series, as I feel it's something Nike would do if the Tigers gave them the opportunity to modernize their set. I also kept the Old English numbers and the newer "D" on the home uniform, as I actually like how it looks. I think it looks better with the headspoon removed on the home.
  • The away has a slight navy blue tint to it, and unnecessary white outlines are removed.
  • The Turn Back the Clock uniform is based off of the 1929 set, allowing for the occasional use of orange at home to make up for the lack of it in the main set. I also took this as an opportunity to use the team's nice "Tigers" script.

So, even though I gave the team 4 different caps and 4 different sock patterns, I think this still has the makings of a pretty classic set. I'd love to hear what you all think!

I love the throwback. I think white caps are generally underrated and way underutilized.

I'm also glad that you kept the script on the road uniform (although I personally like the white outline), but that script looks very small here. I doubt it's solely because of the outline removal, as that outline isn't that big - but I'm not sure what exactly it is...it just looks like a too-small script.

The home looks surprisingly okay without the piping.

On 3/30/2019 at 9:59 AM, coco1997 said:

The raglan design for the Royals is a really nice idea. I love the BP set with the banner-shaped sleeve stripes!

Thanks! Yea, the banner-shape was actually just an accident, since that’s how the stripe would fit the template, but I think it worked out!

On 3/30/2019 at 5:58 PM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Terrific job on the Royals! I love the number font. It's very unique. 

Thank you tons! I wouldn’t have had the inspiration for the Royals set as a whole without you!

Archived